Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 147
  1. #26
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Has anyone here gone through this process?

    It would be nice to hear some experience. I have all the documents ready and just waiting to submit them at special branch. I live outside Bangkok, which makes it a little more complicated.
    I am in the process of applying myself. I am only a couple of steps ahead of you. I am also applying as married to a Thai but I also could qualify as having held permanent residence for the appropriate time.

    Together with my wife, I visited the Special Branch on Rama 1 in late November 2016 and told them that I wanted to apply for Thai citizenship. We were invited to sit at a particular desk. From that point on the policeman at that desk became my point of contact for the rest of the application process. He asked us a handful of questions to be sure that I would qualify. He then gave us a sheet of paper with the list of documents required and we were told to call him when all of the documents were collected and ready to submit. The gentleman that was assigned to us for the citizenship application wrote his name and mobile number at the bottom of the sheet of paper and told us to call him if we needed any clarifications on anything and also to call ahead to make an appointment anytime we wanted to visit.

    We submitted the documents in early December 2016. They were checked by our guy and confirmed that everything was correct. We were told that in a few days they would call us and let us know when our next meeting at special branch would be.

    Got the call and was told to be at the Special Branch the following Wednesday at 13:30. We arrived early and the people who were supposed to be there at 13:00 hadnít turned up so they were bumped down the line and we got their spot. Our guy went through the documentation and told us that I had 78 points out of the possible 100. This didnít include my education as my highest education was a completed apprenticeship in NZ and they didnít know how to translate a NZ apprenticeship into the equivalent Thai education level. I was finger printed and then told to meet with the policeman in the corner office. We had a quick chat with him and then was told to wait outside for a few minutes. Was then told to go up to the 4th floor and meet the head of Special Branch and have a chat with him. (this part didnít go very well for me.)

    We were taken up to the 4th floor by our guy and introduced to the head gentleman. We were asked a handful of questions; explain why I didnít get points for my education, why do I want to get citizenship, why are we married, why donít we have children, if we donít have children why did we get married. I must admit I wasnít expecting to get interviewed that day so hadnít mentally prepared myself, but also the questions about why were married but didnít have kids flustered me a little and I didnít answer the questions very well. I was told that in future I need to participate in the conversations more and I need to improve my Thai speaking ability. An interesting part of the conversation was that he said that up until recently the process would take 4 Ė 6 years to complete, but now it would only take about a year. We he saw the expression on my face he said maybe a bit longer but for sure not more than two years. Went back downstairs and was told by our guy that everything was looking good and that in about 3 weeks I should get a call to meet with the next lot of police to have an interview where they would ask a lot more questions. Apparently, this interview will be at a McDonalds. I asked what sort of questions they would ask. It was suggested that I study up on a few things such as the citizen application process, the colours of the Thai flag, have a general idea of Thailand and the cities and provinces and the meaning of certain songs.

    At the end of the meeting our guy gave us six envelopes that we had to deliver to various places around Bangkok.

    Two envelopes to the Immigration department at Cheang Wattana building B to verify my residence certificate (white book) and verify my alien ID book (red/brown book) (Only if you have permanent residence)

    One letter to the Ampur wherever you were married to verify your marriage certificate.

    One letter to the Ampur where your residence is registered to change your name. You need to select your first name and last name. You need to prepare at least three surnames to be submitted to the Ampur.

    Once you have submitted the above letters, they will be sent by the each of the above Thai government authorities back to the Police Special Branch by postal mail.

    Two envelopes to the embassy, one to verify that the passport is legitimate and one to acknowledge that you will intend to rescind your citizenship. Both of these letters will need to be taken to the translation office in Cheang Wattana Building A consular section. Normally the embassy is asked to send the documents back to the Police Special Branch by postal mail, however in my case the NZ embassy did the letters while I waited which meant that I could take them directly to the translation office. If the letters are sent back to the Police Special Branch you will have to collect them and take them to the translation office.

    If you are organised and all of the places you need to submit the letters are in Bangkok, all of this can be done in one day, two at the most.

    When you take the documents to be translated at the Cheang Wattana Building A consular section make sure you show them how your name is spelt in Thai. It must match all of the other documents submitted. Also, make sure that all Thai documents use the same spelling and spacing for your name. This is important as the document will be rejected and will have to be corrected.

    This is where I am at know. I am waiting for the phone call to make the appointment to go to McDonalds.

    Feel free to ask any questions, I can't say I know everything about the process but happy to answer anything that I can.
    Thanks Barty, nice to actually get some real experience. Some very interesting, useful info there, thanks!

    My problem could be that the Special Branch in Khon Kaen has only one guy and he seems reluctant to get the process going as it, often not answering his phone or never in the office.

  2. #27
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,037
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    This is what I was trying to track down last time. The sarky response was not a great help.

    When you did all that chatting to policemen, was it in English or Thai? From my reading I would say it was in Thai, and that pretty much is the "thai speaking exam" I would think.

  3. #28
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,037
    ^ My bad - looks like I am mixing up posters there. Sorry.

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    Are you talking about the thai portion of the citizenship interview? Because that doesn't sound quite right. Unless I'm wrong, the thai language portion of the scoring get you a maximum of 18 points. If you can say "Sweaty Crotch" or My Cow Died" they throw you a couple points. AFAIK; no one ever gets a zero in thai language skill.

    It is also entirely possible that even if you get only 1 or 2 points in the thai language part that the total points from the other areas are enough so you still hit the minimum number of points needed to 'pass'.

    FWIW: I know an american who just had his interview last month. His thai is barely understandable at the best of times and totally incomprehensible at the worst of them, still he scored enough overall to get thru it.

  5. #30
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    Are you talking about the thai portion of the citizenship interview? Because that doesn't sound quite right. Unless I'm wrong, the thai language portion of the scoring get you a maximum of 18 points. If you can say "Sweaty Crotch" or My Cow Died" they throw you a couple points. AFAIK; no one ever gets a zero in thai language skill.

    It is also entirely possible that even if you get only 1 or 2 points in the thai language part that the total points from the other areas are enough so you still hit the minimum number of points needed to 'pass'.

    FWIW: I know an american who just had his interview last month. His thai is barely understandable at the best of times and totally incomprehensible at the worst of them, still he scored enough overall to get thru it.
    Thai Citizenship - Points Allocation (minimum 50/100 required for further consideration) 2010

    AGE AND EDUCATION
    Age:
    20 t0 30 - 2 points
    30 to 40 – 5 points
    40 to 50 – 10 points
    50 to 60 – 8 points
    Over 60 – 5 points

    Education:
    Mor 6 and above – 3 points
    Diploma – 5 points
    Bachelors Degree – 8 points
    Masters Degree – 10 points
    Doctrate – 15 points

    SECURITY OF PROFESSION
    Income (monthly):
    80,000 to 90,000 – 15 points
    90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
    Over 100,000 – 25 points
    OR
    Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities
    40,000 to 50,000 – 15 points
    50,000 to 60,000 – 20 points
    Over 60,000 – 25 points
    OR
    Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities holding an Alien ID Card for 10 years or more:
    20,000 to 30,000 – 15 points
    30,000 to 40,000 – 20 points
    Over 40,000 – 25 points
    OR
    Income (monthly) in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
    40,000 to 50,000 – 15 points
    50,000 to 60,000 – 20 points
    Over 60,000 – 25 points
    OR
    Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
    20,000 to 30,000 – 15 points
    30,000 to 40,000 – 20 points
    Over 40,000 – 25 points

    Income (monthly) on which tax paid:
    80,000 to 100,000 – 15 points
    100,000 to 120,000 – 20 points
    Over 120,000 – 25 points
    OR
    Income (monthly) on which tax paid in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
    40,000 to 60,000 – 15 points
    60,000 to 80,000 – 20 points
    Over 80,000 – 25 points

    RESIDENCE IN THAILAND
    Domicile:
    Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years but no Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate – 5 points
    Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 5 years – 10 points
    Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 7 years – 15 points
    Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 10 years – 20 points

    KNOWLEDGE OF THAI LANGUAGE
    Able to speak and understand spoken Thai – 8 points
    Able to speak and understand spoken Thai and sing the National and Royal Anthems – 10 points
    Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read Thai – 13 points
    Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read and write Thai – 15 points

    KNOWLEDGE OF THAILAND
    Has a medium level knowledge of Thailand
    (1-5 correct answers) – 5 points
    Has a good knowledge of Thailand
    (6-8 correct answers) – 8 points
    Has a very good knowledge of Thailand
    (9-10 correct answers) -10 points

    PERSONALITY
    Assessment based on personality, physical appearance and bearing, speech, Thai manners, attitude towards Thailand, Thai culture and ceremonies - 5 points
    Last edited by ChalkyDee; 27-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.

  6. #31
    Member
    Barty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Location
    Lamlukka
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    This is what I was trying to track down last time. The sarky response was not a great help.
    I thought it was a pretty good joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    When you did all that chatting to policemen, was it in English or Thai? From my reading I would say it was in Thai, and that pretty much is the "thai speaking exam" I would think.
    Everything was done in Thai, English was not used or spoken at any time. Anything that I didn't catch or understand my wife assisted with answering. I was also asked to sign a bunch of documents using the Thai script.

    Also, I have to point out again, I was told that my Thai wasnít good enough and I would have to improve it before the next meeting.

  7. #32
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    This is what I was trying to track down last time. The sarky response was not a great help.

    When you did all that chatting to policemen, was it in English or Thai? From my reading I would say it was in Thai, and that pretty much is the "thai speaking exam" I would think.
    When I first contacted Special branch on the phone, I spoke in Thai.
    A few days later, I called their number by mistake and started speaking to them in English and they spoke excellent English.

  8. #33
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    This is what I was trying to track down last time. The sarky response was not a great help.
    I thought it was a pretty good joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    When you did all that chatting to policemen, was it in English or Thai? From my reading I would say it was in Thai, and that pretty much is the "thai speaking exam" I would think.
    Everything was done in Thai, English was not used or spoken at any time. Anything that I didn't catch or understand my wife assisted with answering. I was also asked to sign a bunch of documents using the Thai script.

    Also, I have to point out again, I was told that my Thai wasnít good enough and I would have to improve it before the next meeting.
    Does one have to take their wife? Mine would be a liability as her English is terrible!

  9. #34
    Member
    Barty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Location
    Lamlukka
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    This is what I was trying to track down last time. The sarky response was not a great help.
    I thought it was a pretty good joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    When you did all that chatting to policemen, was it in English or Thai? From my reading I would say it was in Thai, and that pretty much is the "thai speaking exam" I would think.
    Everything was done in Thai, English was not used or spoken at any time. Anything that I didn't catch or understand my wife assisted with answering. I was also asked to sign a bunch of documents using the Thai script.

    Also, I have to point out again, I was told that my Thai wasnít good enough and I would have to improve it before the next meeting.
    Does one have to take their wife? Mine would be a liability as her English is terrible!
    I don't know for sure, but if you are applying under marriage to a Thai I believe that at some point they will want to meet her and interview her as well.

  10. #35
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    Are you talking about the thai portion of the citizenship interview? Because that doesn't sound quite right. Unless I'm wrong, the thai language portion of the scoring get you a maximum of 18 points. If you can say "Sweaty Crotch" or My Cow Died" they throw you a couple points. AFAIK; no one ever gets a zero in thai language skill.

    It is also entirely possible that even if you get only 1 or 2 points in the thai language part that the total points from the other areas are enough so you still hit the minimum number of points needed to 'pass'.

    FWIW: I know an american who just had his interview last month. His thai is barely understandable at the best of times and totally incomprehensible at the worst of them, still he scored enough overall to get thru it.
    I feel we are so lucky in Thailand. Can you imagine any other country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,470
    Apparently, this interview will be at a McDonalds. I asked what sort of questions they would ask.
    better swot up on what "would you like fries with that" is in Thai.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Can you imagine any other country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?
    You sure don't get around much do you ??

    You did notice that thai is a "one trick pony" language spoken by less than 1% of the worlds' population.

  13. #38
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Can you imagine any other country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?
    You sure don't get around much do you ??

    You did notice that thai is a "one trick pony" language spoken by less than 1% of the worlds' population.
    Not sure your point here apart from insulting me.
    Last edited by ChalkyDee; 27-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,789
    ChalkyDee; believe me no respect was intended or implied Umm sorry, I mean no disrespect

    Some reports on the inter-web say there are close to 25 million naturalized US citizens who can't even speak semi-coherent english.

    So asking
    Can you imagine any other country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?
    might not be the smartest question to be asking.

    BTW: even though thai is as I said a 'one trick pony' language, there are benefits to speaking, understanding, reading & typing it. Especially if you're gonna be here long term and don't have a thai (in)significant other following you around to "speak for you" all the time..

  15. #40
    Thailand Expat
    Sumbitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2017 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    Are you saying the benefits don't out weigh the disadvantages of not getting Thai citizenship?

    What exactly are the disadvantages in your opinion? I can't think of any.
    No I'm not saying that at all. I'm sorry if you took it that way bc I only meant it in a general sense. What I did mean to say is that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages but isn't that also true for very many countries besides Thailand?
    ďThe Master said, At fifty, I knew what were the biddings of Heaven. At sixty, I heard them with docile ear. At seventy, I could follow the dictates of my own heart; for what I desired no longer overstepped the boundaries of right.Ē

  16. #41
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    ChalkyDee; believe me no respect was intended or implied Umm sorry, I mean no disrespect

    Some reports on the inter-web say there are close to 25 million naturalized US citizens who can't even speak semi-coherent english.

    So asking
    Can you imagine any other country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?
    might not be the smartest question to be asking.

    BTW: even though thai is as I said a 'one trick pony' language, there are benefits to speaking, understanding, reading & typing it. Especially if you're gonna be here long term and don't have a thai (in)significant other following you around to "speak for you" all the time..
    Hardly a normal country. Thye give citizenship just if you are born there adn Spanish is spoken by most people.

    In my country, one has to take an English exam and test about British culture.

  17. #42
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    Cambridge IGCSE Thai - First Language - (0518)

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumbitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    Isn't the benefits outweighing the disadvantages a prime reason for doing anything?
    No, I don't think that should be the prime reason for doing anything. And besides, there are many countries where the benefits of citizenship outweigh the disadvantages. So how does that rule help you decide?
    Are you saying the benefits don't out weigh the disadvantages of not getting Thai citizenship?

    What exactly are the disadvantages in your opinion? I can't think of any.
    You don't have the option to be deported and blacklisted as a silly foreigner, but are subjected to the full force of the local legal system should you behave in a non-Thai way - which could happen if you got tipsy for instance; or if you simply couldn't adjust to the cultural norms of deference and group-orientated Asian culture, which is a challenge for a farang amd fell out with some locals... normally you can get away with being treated like a farang, and walk away, which is relatively ok.
    I think there are UN conventions that mean that it's forbidden for a person to be made stateless... which if you only have one citizenship of a developed country, is not a problem.
    However, if you had citizenship of another country, there are circumstances (e.g.: if you were naughty there or politically out of favour) where you could lose your original citizenship, and be stuck with your Thai one.
    Not being a native speaker in any country always puts you at a disadvantage, often because you often have no right to get info in your native language as a farang ethnic minority.
    There are also possible visa ramifications for travel abroad, which could affect your ability to travel to western developed countries that you hailed from:


    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post

    Thai Citizenship - Points Allocation (minimum 50/100 required for further consideration) 2010
    Mintness, I get 60 points before even worrying about jobs and residence - phew! Where do I sigh?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Can you imagine any country granting citizenship when you can't converse in the local language?
    You probably come from such a place...
    Last edited by CaptainNemo; 27-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1F2i0rYMj8

    we are all figments of our own imagination.

  18. #43
    Sauerkraut stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Oktoberfest
    Posts
    21,379
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    Thye give citizenship just if you are born there
    As most, if not all countries do. It is part of the definition of "citizenship".

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    In my country, one has to take an English exam and test about British culture.
    Any newborn passed yet?

  19. #44
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    Thye give citizenship just if you are born there
    As most, if not all countries do. It is part of the definition of "citizenship".

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    In my country, one has to take an English exam and test about British culture.
    Any newborn passed yet?
    Really?, the UK doesn't grant citizenship to a baby born there if their parents aren't citizens.

  20. #45
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    Cambridge IGCSE Thai - First Language - (0518)
    This isn't anything to do with getting Thai citizenship.

    Also, with a British passport you can be a dual national.

  21. #46
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumbitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    Are you saying the benefits don't out weigh the disadvantages of not getting Thai citizenship?

    What exactly are the disadvantages in your opinion? I can't think of any.
    No I'm not saying that at all. I'm sorry if you took it that way bc I only meant it in a general sense. What I did mean to say is that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages but isn't that also true for very many countries besides Thailand?
    I think so. I assume getting citizenship in any country you emigrate to is beneficial.

  22. #47
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    In my country, one has to take an English exam and test about British culture.
    That's not always true... my Mrs got it on the strength of having done a PG-level course at a British uni, although she had a degree in English from Thailand, it didn't come up on the NARIC thing, and was of no interest to them. Aside from that, countless generations of gimmegrants have been let in over the years with barely a word of English... if you've ever walked around certain areas of certain cities in the UK, you will feel like you're in Dhaka, Karachi, Kingston, Warsaw, Lagos or Mogadishu.

  23. #48
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    Cambridge IGCSE Thai - First Language - (0518)
    This isn't anything to do with getting Thai citizenship.

    Also, with a British passport you can be a dual national.
    In British law yes, but not in Thai law, unless you are an under 18 born to a Thai.
    Thai women have the right to "reclaim" their citizenship.
    Thailand does not allow you to hold dual nationality, and even if you see people doing it routinely, in a legal scenario, you won't have a leg to stand on, as it's written in the statute. So what you are in fact contemplating, is potentially rescinding your British citizenship, and all the privileges that go with that, for a Thai one... fingers crossed...

  24. #49
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumbitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    Are you saying the benefits don't out weigh the disadvantages of not getting Thai citizenship?

    What exactly are the disadvantages in your opinion? I can't think of any.
    No I'm not saying that at all. I'm sorry if you took it that way bc I only meant it in a general sense. What I did mean to say is that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages but isn't that also true for very many countries besides Thailand?
    I think so. I assume getting citizenship in any country you emigrate to is beneficial.
    You should not make such risky assumptions. There is a pecking order of citizenships, and you really ought to reflect on that.
    Whilst I was being facetious about having a sex change, I genuinely think that what you are aiming for is as drastic - no going back - kind of a situation.



    I can see it's tempting, but all that glitters is not gold... (...and this map is not up to date)
    Last edited by CaptainNemo; 27-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.

  25. #50
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai3 View Post
    Know somebody who just failed the speaking Thai exam, some said they could understand him some not. So he's going again for another go next month, rather him than me.
    There isn't a Thai speaking exam.
    Cambridge IGCSE Thai - First Language - (0518)
    This isn't anything to do with getting Thai citizenship.

    Also, with a British passport you can be a dual national.
    In British law yes, but not in Thai law, unless you are an under 18 born to a Thai.
    Thai women have the right to "reclaim" their citizenship.
    Thailand does not allow you to hold dual nationality, and even if you see people doing it routinely, in a legal scenario, you won't have a leg to stand on, as it's written in the statute. So what you are in fact contemplating, is potentially rescinding your British citizenship, and all the privileges that go with that, for a Thai one... fingers crossed...
    This is totally wrong, sorry. There is no law saying that a Thai has to give up their nationality, it is voluntary and then has to be OKed by the Minister of the Interior.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •