Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    Thai students ranked 8th in classroom manners

    Thai students ranked 8th in classroom manners
    Santibhap Ussavasodhi



    BANGKOK, 25 May 2011 (NNT) – Thailand has been included in the list of top ten countries whose students have the very best classroom manners, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

    Japan was found to have students with the best classroom manners, followed by students from Kazakhstan, China (Shanghai), Hong Kong, Romania, South Korea and Azerbaijan. Thailand was ranked eighth in the list, followed by Albania and Russia.

    It can be seen that seven out of the ten nations are in Asia while the other three are in Europe. Among the rest on the list, England was in the 28th place, above France and Italy.

    The study conducted in 2009 found that students worldwide talked or interrupted classes less compared with those in 2000. It was earlier worrying that students worldwide would talk or interrupt classes more; however, the survey has proven that students have improved their manners.

    In addition, the survey implied that China has become one of the superpowers in education with both Shanghai and Hong Kong included in the top ten.

    thainews.prd.go.th

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    In addition, the survey implied that China has become one of the superpowers in education with both Shanghai and Hong Kong included in the top ten.
    Following this logic, Thailand is the world's 8th superpower in education.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    16,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    Japan was found to have students with the best classroom manners, followed by students from Kazakhstan, China (Shanghai), Hong Kong, Romania, South Korea and Azerbaijan. Thailand was ranked eighth in the list, followed by Albania and Russia.
    yup been thinking of sending my kids to Kazashkstan to learn to be better and more polite in the classroom.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    Thailand has been included in the list of top ten countries whose students have the very best classroom manners, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
    Now did these idiots do the study themselves or from where did they get all this information that has been with held from loving parents?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Japan was found to have students with the best classroom manners, followed by students from Kazakhstan, China (Shanghai), Hong Kong, Romania, South Korea and Azerbaijan.
    Perhaps it's only coincidence that students in those country are likely to be beaten to death for disrupting their teachers.

  5. #5
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Perhaps it's only coincidence that students in those country are likely to be beaten to death for disrupting their teachers.
    Really? Do you have any links to such incidents in the countries mentioned? Or did you just make this up?

  6. #6
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,348
    So, students in Thailand are polite. Pig ignorant, but polite. Fair enough.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Perhaps it's only coincidence that students in those country are likely to be beaten to death for disrupting their teachers.
    Really? Do you have any links to such incidents in the countries mentioned
    Nope, was a quip.

    Don't worry. Some people are just too dumb to pick them up. Make sure to open the door before leaving the room, it will save you a headache.

  8. #8
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Nope, was a quip.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Penny dropped eh.

    It was a funny one, you got that right.

  10. #10
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    It was a funny one, you got that right.
    Poor widdle one.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    ^ Bite.

  12. #12
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    ^ Bite.
    You always do.

  13. #13
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    A few years back I used to host Japanese Teachers who stayed in BC for 1 month. They used to complain about their students. Liked the Canadian students better.

    Their logic was that Japanese students are too compliant but at the same time very demanding because of the pressure for them to do well. They said they liked the Canadian students because they had more life. I always reckoned they were being nice.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    15-10-2016 @ 10:22 PM
    Posts
    3,859
    There is a difference between educating children and programming robots.

    Creativity needs breathing space.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    alwarner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Location
    Location: Location.
    Posts
    5,126
    I'm wondering what the French and Italian kids get up to if they are worse than the English kids?

    They must all be packing heat or something.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    21-04-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Posts
    12,457
    From what I've seen the French and Italians are typically about 4 years behind their northern counterparts in the maturity stakes. Just as bright as anyone else but that much more silly - no doubt because of maternal indulgence.

    I rather think the scope of the survey has confused mannerliness with docility, certainly with regard to the non occident student.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    alwarner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Location
    Location: Location.
    Posts
    5,126
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent View Post
    From what I've seen the French and Italians are typically about 4 years behind their northern counterparts in the maturity stakes. Just as bright as anyone else but that much more silly - no doubt because of maternal indulgence.

    I rather think the scope of the survey has confused mannerliness with docility, certainly with regard to the non occident student.
    Gotcha.

    Cheers.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,511
    Quote Originally Posted by alwarner
    Just as bright as anyone else but that much more silly - no doubt because of maternal indulgence.
    Would you mind elaborating a bit there Mr. Gent?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    15-10-2016 @ 10:22 PM
    Posts
    3,859
    ^Ities are Mama's boys. Dunno much about the French. Funny that.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,593
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    I rather think the scope of the survey has confused mannerliness with docility, certainly with regard to the non occident student.
    My thought exactly, agree.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    24-02-2015 @ 10:38 AM
    Posts
    58

    Thai kids ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    So, students in Thailand are polite. Pig ignorant, but polite. Fair enough.

    I really don't think so, kids 6 years old in rural Thailand can usually read Thai quite fluently. Which is more than I can do. And more than most American kids can do at that age in english.

  22. #22
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jack swelters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    So, students in Thailand are polite. Pig ignorant, but polite. Fair enough.

    I really don't think so, kids 6 years old in rural Thailand can usually read Thai quite fluently. Which is more than I can do. And more than most American kids can do at that age in english.
    An interesting point - i'll give you that. Drilled, rote learning does indeed have a place in education. However, now do yourself a favour and go find out what they are reading......

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    ^ comics

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    24-02-2015 @ 10:38 AM
    Posts
    58

    No Rhetoric, please

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack swelters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    So, students in Thailand are polite. Pig ignorant, but polite. Fair enough.

    I really don't think so, kids 6 years old in rural Thailand can usually read Thai quite fluently. Which is more than I can do. And more than most American kids can do at that age in english.
    An interesting point - i'll give you that. Drilled, rote learning does indeed have a place in education. However, now do yourself a favour and go find out what they are reading......

    Yes, it does indeed, and its absense in the western world is a factor in its decline. Considering your apparent classical bent, I say the rural Thai schools are superior in grammar and some parts of logic but score close to zero in rhetoric; that is, after age 12 or so. Typical of authoritarian societies?

  25. #25
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    03-12-2018 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    They are a tad low on rhetoric in New South Wales and south Wales too for that matter ,now Roderick that's easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •