Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat SteveCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    A "non-existent" Thai PsyOps unit
    Posts
    4,550

    Plan to hire native English-speaking teachers

    Plan to hire native English-speaking teachers


    The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) will seek a Bt350million budget to hire 300 native English-speaking teachers for its primary and secondary schools to tackle the shortage of English teachers, a senior official said yesterday.

    According to the proposal, the native speakers would each get about Bt1 million per year - a salary of Bt83,000 per month - compared to the Bt9,000 per month drawn by Thais teaching English.

    Obec chief Chinaphat Phumirat said the foreign teachers would be from the United States, Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, India and the Philippines.


    The Nation

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    300 native English-speaking teachers
    Sounds good.


    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    India and the Philippines
    Huh???????

  3. #3
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    22-10-2011 @ 02:56 PM
    Location
    Republic of the Union of Myanmar
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    According to the proposal, the native speakers would each get about Bt1 million per year - a salary of Bt83,000 per month - compared to the Bt9,000 per month drawn by Thais teaching English.
    Thais teaching English?

    I haven't met a Thai yet that can speak English properly let alone teach it! (despite thinking they can).

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat SteveCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    A "non-existent" Thai PsyOps unit
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    ...a salary of Bt83,000 per month - compared to the Bt9,000 per month drawn by Thais teaching English.
    They may also need to employ a maths teacher to work out the % differential that represents..... not to mention bodyguards for the 300 receiving the higher figure.

    BTW, what happens with the existing native-English speakers who are already teaching for a fraction of that?

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    06-11-2018 @ 07:34 AM
    Posts
    5,922
    I never understood why Thai's employ Germans to teach English.
    But on the other hand i have meet so called English Teachers from the U.K.
    No comment.
    Don't forget the farang teachers who earn say 20,000 too 30,000 a month work in crap state schools.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    BTW, what happens with the existing native-English speakers who are already teaching for a fraction of that?
    Probably be imprisoned for using fake degrees and stuff, seems Thailand wants proper teachers and not unemployable shelf stackers who have left their home country.

  7. #7
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:06 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Sounds good but what they really need is a decent and well thought out national programe. Also, and most important but very difficult would be a reduction in class sizes. Talking to an American friend who works in government schools he sometimes has to deal with 40 students in 1 class. This makes it really hard work for the teacher especially as the students are only attending because its part of the general curriculum and are not especially motivated towards English.

    Good luck to the teachers though. IMO the deserve the money. Too bad the Thais can't get a decent wage from it though, albeit that they would benefit from some TEFL training.

  8. #8
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    Bt350million budget to hire 300 native English-speaking teachers
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCM
    salary of Bt83,000 per month
    Where does the other 50+ million go ?

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    ^for the maths teachers they need perhaps.....

  10. #10
    Member KAPPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    20-02-2013 @ 01:06 PM
    Posts
    454
    I wish more Thai comapnies would get native English speakers to do the voice menu prompts. Some of them are absolutely indecipherable;
    "Por Bwahg, pwease pwesh pwah .
    Por forph, pwease pwesh pore.
    Por pwah, pwease pwesh gurghh"

    Long interminable silence and then in perfectly understandable America English:

    "You have pressed an invalid number. Goodbye. Click "
    Arghhhhh

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat SteveCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    A "non-existent" Thai PsyOps unit
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    Where does the other 50+ million go ?
    English = lots of tea.

    Tea-money.

    Geddit?


    OK, I'll get my coat.......

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPPA View Post
    I wish more Thai comapnies would get native English speakers to do the voice menu prompts. Some of them are absolutely indecipherable;
    "Por Bwahg, pwease pwesh pwah .
    Por forph, pwease pwesh pore.
    Por pwah, pwease pwesh gurghh"

    Long interminable silence and then in perfectly understandable America English:

    "You have pressed an invalid number. Goodbye. Click "
    Arghhhhh
    My favourite:

    Por prassat angrit, gurunaa gurt soon!

  13. #13
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    28,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    Where does the other 50+ million go ?
    Admin overhead.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Bet I can find 300 prossies in Pattaya that speak perfect English.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Posts
    12,457
    Indeed, looking at the salary it seems they may well be looking to recruit qualified teachers rather than the TEFLER but including Indians and Filipinos suggests an ignorance of standards and what actually constitutes ' qualified '.

    Quite why they don't simply liaise with the British Council and Dfid and look to recruit newly qualified teachers through the VSO scheme in the UK or some such like initiative is beyond me.

    I suspect any number of bright young academically sound people from the UK would jump at the chance to teach here at a quite modest stipend provided accommodation etc was provided.

    Or better still, why not recruit the best of their own teachers and send them to the UK on government sponsored courses at teacher training colleges in the UK after a qualifying English foundation course at any university there.

    Honestly, their bloody PM is a Brit educated in England so quite why he hasn't twigged this yet is quite mystifying.

    Perhaps he just doesn't know how utterly crap the teachers are in Thailand?

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat SteveCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    A "non-existent" Thai PsyOps unit
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    Perhaps he just doesn't know how utterly crap the teachers are in Thailand?
    Good point. I suspect most Thai politicians (ergo well-heeled) have no idea of what goes on in state schools - their little darlings are all in private schools here and overseas, thank you very much.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    28-12-2018 @ 02:07 PM
    Posts
    7,761
    Quote Originally Posted by the dogcatcher View Post
    Bet I can find 300 prossies in Pattaya that speak perfect English.
    Sadly there is some truth to that joke; I teach English at a Government school, and many of the prossies in Pattaya speak better English than our Thai English teachers, much better.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the dogcatcher View Post
    Bet I can find 300 prossies in Pattaya that speak perfect English.
    Sadly there is some truth to that joke; I teach English at a Government school, and many of the prossies in Pattaya speak better English than our Thai English teachers, much better.
    It;s all about motivation.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    28-12-2018 @ 02:07 PM
    Posts
    7,761
    I do not see how they can expect the Thai teachers to work with a foreigner who made 10 times as much money as they do.

    Human nature just does not work that way.

    No matter how good the teachers they hired were, they will fail miserably without children who are motivated to learn, and most children here absolutely do not care about learning English.

    Not the Children's fault, I was not motivated to learn a foreign language at their age either.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Not everyone can be a professional teacher.

  21. #21
    better looking than Ned
    Rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    17-01-2018 @ 12:27 PM
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    No matter how good the teachers they hired were, they will fail miserably without children who are motivated to learn, and most children here absolutely do not care about learning English.
    For once Bob you are right

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    I do not see how they can expect the Thai teachers to work with a foreigner who made 10 times as much money as they do.

    Human nature just does not work that way.

    No matter how good the teachers they hired were, they will fail miserably without children who are motivated to learn, and most children here absolutely do not care about learning English.

    Not the Children's fault, I was not motivated to learn a foreign language at their age either.
    Which would be the perfect reasoning for segregation of a mandatory and compulsory English-language programs from toddler through high-school. 95% of students would never have the need for any such applications of the English language. Those whom yearn and wish to take on the language skills will naturally enroll.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    28-12-2018 @ 02:07 PM
    Posts
    7,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    I do not see how they can expect the Thai teachers to work with a foreigner who made 10 times as much money as they do.

    Human nature just does not work that way.

    No matter how good the teachers they hired were, they will fail miserably without children who are motivated to learn, and most children here absolutely do not care about learning English.

    Not the Children's fault, I was not motivated to learn a foreign language at their age either.
    Which would be the perfect reasoning for segregation of a mandatory and compulsory English-language programs from toddler through high-school. 95% of students would never have the need for any such applications of the English language. Those whom yearn and wish to take on the language skills will naturally enroll.
    It's more complex than that; even with the optional English Camps which cost the parents extra, the children are generally not motivated or interested. There are a few exceptions, but the parents motivation is what gets them enrolled, it takes the child's motivation to actually learn.

  24. #24
    Member EssEffBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    17-08-2013 @ 11:01 AM
    Location
    Anywhere in Thailand.
    Posts
    524
    To repeat what Rural Surin has said because some don't seem to understand, English should be an optional part of education in Thailand...not a requirement.
    This would solve a multitude of problems but at the same time, reduce the requirement of Native English Speakers.

    Where I work, Thai teachers are constantly scratching their heads about "Why aren't the students able to learn English?"
    I have suggested the following answers to their questions:
    1] They are taught too quickly.
    2] Class sizes are too large.
    3] They may not want to learn English.

    If English is to successfully be a 'teachable' language in Thailand, I recommend the following changes:
    1] The relegation of the Teachers Council of Thailand to an advisory capacity.
    2] The Ministry of Education decrees that only 'qualified teachers' (B. Ed) be employed.
    3] The Ministry of Education must appropriately pay qualified foreign teachers.
    4] English be an 'option' (elective) as opposed to being compulsory.

    My above recomendations will not work, primarily, due to 'loss of face'.
    Also, there is no hope that the M.E. (Ministry of Education) will be likely to pay 'real' teachers the necessary amount of money to live & teach in a xenophobic & feudal society.

    Quite simply, there is little hope for Thais who DO want to learn English as they will be held down by a system that is totally disfunctional. Mind you, a lot of people make a lot of money from this totally disfunctional system.
    Idiots! I'm surrounded by idiots!

  25. #25
    Member keekwai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    11-02-2018 @ 07:27 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    772
    April Fool!

    From a search .. it seems "The Nation" is th ONLY news media with this story. After 4 pages of Google results full of Thai related forums and blogs that have picked up this story ... The Nation still remains the only news media with the story.

    OBECS website .. http://translate.google.co.th/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

    ... has no mention of it.

    The Bangkok Post has no mention of it.

    The twit who wrote the story has obviously forgotten to let the public in on the joke.
    Last edited by keekwai; 03-04-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    You can use logic to justify anything. That's its power. Itís also its flaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •