Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    Thailand : Multiple-choice questions to blame for low grades

    Multiple-choice questions to blame for low grades
    December 11, 2008

    A leading mathematician yesterday said Thai children's low academic standards could be blamed on multiple-choice questions used in examinations.

    Prof Narong Punnim was speaking a day after the Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST) announced that an international assessment showed that Thai students were not up to par in mathematics and science. IPST added that the performance had clearly dropped when compared with a previous assessment.

    "Multiple-choice questions have been an ongoing problem in Thailand's education system," Narong pointed out. "Such evaluation methods are destroying our children but most teachers are still unaware of it."

    He explained that multiple-choice questions allowed children to pick any answer and still stand a chance at passing the exam.

    Narong, a lecturer at Srinakharinwirot University, chaired the mathematics panel at the Promotion of Academic Olympiads and Development of Science Education Foundation under late Princess HRH Galyani Vadhana's patronage.

    The professor also criticised the procedure of repeatedly holding make-up exams until students pass.

    "As far as I know, Chitralada School is the only school that requires its students to repeat a course if they fail the exam," he said.

    He said he also disagreed with the methods used by teachers these days.
    "The teachers are too preoccupied with getting their students through entrance exams, instead of concentrating on giving them knowledge," Narong complained.

    nationmultimedia.com

  2. #2
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    31-07-2009 @ 01:13 PM
    Location
    amidst dogs and ducks
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    He explained that multiple-choice questions allowed children to pick any answer and still stand a chance at passing the exam.
    Yeah, and often the offered choices contain more than one right answer, or none at all, if our daughter's English tests are anything to go by.

  3. #3
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff
    Yeah, and often the offered choices contain more than one right answer, or none at all, if our daughter's English tests are anything to go by.
    That, unfortunately, is very true. One simple example from here: http://www.english-room.com/someany_01.htm



    Dumb fucks.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    He explained that multiple-choice questions allowed children to pick any answer and still stand a chance at passing the exam.
    not really.

    basic combination theory. odds are incredibly remote.

  5. #5
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549
    Two more.




  6. #6
    Tiger Bay
    CharleyFarley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    27-01-2011 @ 01:57 AM
    Location
    aberthin
    Posts
    1,722
    Explaining the some/any rule is beyond me because of the exceptions.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017

  8. #8
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyFarley
    Explaining the some/any rule is beyond me because of the exceptions.
    It was for me too until I read The English Verb by Michael Lewis. Recommended for TEFL-heads.

  9. #9
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    3 + 3 =

    a: 6

    b: 8

    c: 9


  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Gallowspole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,914
    d) or all of the above

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyFarley
    Explaining the some/any rule
    I didn't even know there was one
    6=A
    9=B
    13=A
    Well thats how it feels comfortable to me, although I really couldn't see much difference if they were all interchanged apart from the coffee one.

  12. #12
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902


    Depends if you are talking about a cup of coffee or a jar of coffee

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    ^Thats true, sitting here with a cup of coffee decided my grammar

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Gallowspole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post


    Depends if you are talking about a cup of coffee or a jar of coffee
    I believe 'some' is used in positive sentences, unless the clause is limiting and 'any' in negative sentences and questions, unless the answer is expected to be in the positive.


    Do you have any animal porn? (to an Englishman) Ans.Sorry, I don't have any.
    Do you have some animal porn? (to a Welshman or Kiwi)Ans. Yes, I have some excellent stuff.

    or

    Well, I had but my mum found most of it under my bed so now I have hardly any left.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,015
    I can see how the grades might improve if there were only one option to test questions.

    1. How many baht are in 100 baht?
    A. one hundred

    alternatively ...

    1. How many baht are in 100 baht?
    A. one hundred
    B. one hundred
    C. one hundred
    D. one hundred

    Happy to see Thai education leaders are looking for ways to improve test scores.

  16. #16
    Member
    mikehunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    29-06-2009 @ 01:46 AM
    Location
    Near Pattaya
    Posts
    455
    In 2005, I taught mathematics to a "Matayom 1" (Year 7) class for about a year. During that period, I issued two major tests to the students. Both tests were NOT multiple choice. All "working" had to be shown. When both of these tests were handed back to the students, I made time (1 hour in class & anytime, if I was available, after class) to go through the test with the students & help them to understand their errors.
    The students had never done this type of test before.

    Prior to the first test, I advised the students about how I would mark the test. I told them that even though their final answer may be incorrect, they may gain marks (points) for showing correct working. I then gave them some "trial" tests, which did not contribute to their overall mark, just to get them familiar with things.

    Strangely, many Thai teachers tried to dissuade me from conducting such a test, the main reason cited was, "It will take a long time to mark."
    I agreed with this comment & retorted with, "Yes but the students stand a better chance of learning." To me, they were lazy & did not consider the student's education...just attend school & get paid.
    Out of fifty or more Thai teachers, only one agreed with me but would not let the other Thais know that he agreed.
    Oh for fucks sake! Get a life & stop trying to fuck mine up!

  17. #17
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    28,989
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaaa
    Dumb fucks
    A brand I'm unfamiliar with but could well be the right answer.

  18. #18
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    28,989
    I can only deduce the reason multiple choice questions are becoming the norm is because teachers are too lazy or ignorant to read a written answer. Using multiple choice for testing ones knowledge of a language is by far the most ridiculous. FFS, let the little beggars write something!

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
    In 2005, I taught mathematics to a "Matayom 1" (Year 7) class for about a year. During that period, I issued two major tests to the students. Both tests were NOT multiple choice. All "working" had to be shown. When both of these tests were handed back to the students, I made time (1 hour in class & anytime, if I was available, after class) to go through the test with the students & help them to understand their errors.
    The students had never done this type of test before.

    Prior to the first test, I advised the students about how I would mark the test. I told them that even though their final answer may be incorrect, they may gain marks (points) for showing correct working. I then gave them some "trial" tests, which did not contribute to their overall mark, just to get them familiar with things.

    Strangely, many Thai teachers tried to dissuade me from conducting such a test, the main reason cited was, "It will take a long time to mark."
    I agreed with this comment & retorted with, "Yes but the students stand a better chance of learning." To me, they were lazy & did not consider the student's education...just attend school & get paid.
    Out of fifty or more Thai teachers, only one agreed with me but would not let the other Thais know that he agreed.
    Unfortunately, this is a instilled and common character trait of the Thai educational system. They just pretend to give a rat's arse, but don't really have the ability to recognize quality in lieu of quanity.

  20. #20
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    I can only deduce the reason multiple choice questions are becoming the norm is because teachers are too lazy or ignorant to read a written answer. Using multiple choice for testing ones knowledge of a language is by far the most ridiculous. FFS, let the little beggars write something!
    Educational techniques and mechanics really need to be revamped here.

  21. #21
    Member
    mikehunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    29-06-2009 @ 01:46 AM
    Location
    Near Pattaya
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
    In 2005, I taught mathematics to a "Matayom 1" (Year 7) class for about a year. During that period, I issued two major tests to the students. Both tests were NOT multiple choice. All "working" had to be shown. When both of these tests were handed back to the students, I made time (1 hour in class & anytime, if I was available, after class) to go through the test with the students & help them to understand their errors.
    The students had never done this type of test before.

    Prior to the first test, I advised the students about how I would mark the test. I told them that even though their final answer may be incorrect, they may gain marks (points) for showing correct working. I then gave them some "trial" tests, which did not contribute to their overall mark, just to get them familiar with things.

    Strangely, many Thai teachers tried to dissuade me from conducting such a test, the main reason cited was, "It will take a long time to mark."
    I agreed with this comment & retorted with, "Yes but the students stand a better chance of learning." To me, they were lazy & did not consider the student's education...just attend school & get paid.
    Out of fifty or more Thai teachers, only one agreed with me but would not let the other Thais know that he agreed.
    Unfortunately, this is a instilled and common character trait of the Thai educational system. They just pretend to give a rat's arse, but don't really have the ability to recognize quality in lieu of quanity.
    Very happy to see that you spelt "arse" correctly

    BTW, I don't have a degree in education. Worse still, I don't have a degree!
    I guess the amount of "face lost" could be immense if a non-qualified person actually did make a difference to the amount a student learns, particularly if the person who purportedly causes the "loss of face" is not "qualified".
    TIT.

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Unfortunately Mike, it's an embarrassing reflection on the system that trained Thai teachers aren't allowed to develop personal techniques, nor are they encouraged to challenge or critique redundant and futile homogeny. How can one expect students to chase {in theory} critical thought and to examine varitable ideas, if the instructor does not ptomote {or have a clue} within. I know quite a number of teachers, from primary teachers to professors. All, good likable folks. Yet, they just don't get it.

  23. #23
    Member
    mikehunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    29-06-2009 @ 01:46 AM
    Location
    Near Pattaya
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Unfortunately Mike, it's an embarrassing reflection on the system that trained Thai teachers aren't allowed to develop personal techniques, nor are they encouraged to challenge or critique redundant and futile homogeny. How can one expect students to chase {in theory} critical thought and to examine varitable ideas, if the instructor does not ptomote {or have a clue} within. I know quite a number of teachers, from primary teachers to professors. All, good likable folks. Yet, they just don't get it.
    Too true...unfortunately.

  24. #24
    Member Kikiat2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    23-02-2010 @ 10:38 PM
    Posts
    154
    multiple choice is popular here because most of the Thai educators are lazy (in their defense there tend to be 60 students in one class and they get paid peanuts) and multiple guess checks the fastest, you give them one of them fill in sheets, teachers have a template where all the right answers are cut out, they lay it over that little answer sheet and can instantly see the right/wrong answers. saves them hours of work.
    Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

  25. #25
    Member Kikiat2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    23-02-2010 @ 10:38 PM
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt
    Very happy to see that you spelt "arse" correctly BTW, I don't have a degree in education. Worse still, I don't have a degree! I guess the amount of "face lost" could be immense if a non-qualified person actually did make a difference to the amount a student learns, particularly if the person who purportedly causes the "loss of face" is not "qualified". TIT.
    The Thai teachers with "degrees" went to the same shit system they are now a part of, how "qualified" makes that them really?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •