Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603

    Different class system.

    Son started secondary school this year,and we were given an option of paying extra and son went into a smaller class with air con and better teachers or just the normal class with 0ver 30 students per class.

    Is this normal procedures in the system.?

    We pay 20,000 baht twice a year.

  2. #2
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    Son started secondary school this year,and we were given an option of paying extra and son went into a smaller class with air con and better teachers or just the normal class with 0ver 30 students per class.

    Is this normal procedures in the system.?

    We pay 20,000 baht twice a year.
    If you're wondering why having your child in an aircon classroom with better teachers cost more, then you've absolutely proven you're an idiot.

    After all, doesn't your hamburgers cost more than McDonald's? Ask yourself why and you'll have the answer.

    Yes, it's normal procedure in the system. Even with government schools, there's different programs with different pricing. 20K though sounds expensive if it's a government school, but then you're white so you're probably getting jacked about.

  3. #3
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    I asked a question if you can't answer a question with a civil answer, why answer at all.

    Such a strange chap.

  4. #4
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Teakdoor forum upgrade office
    Posts
    11,574
    I doubt they have better teachers (they will be regular teachers from the school) but your son will be in a class with fewer students and the classroom will have air con. Good for your son, I would say.

    Is there any change in the subjects, or hours, or language of teaching?

  5. #5
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    we were given an option of paying extra and son went into a smaller class with air con and better teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    If you're wondering why having your child in an aircon classroom with better teachers cost more, then you've absolutely proven you're an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    I asked a question if you can't answer a question with a civil answer, why answer at all.
    Civil answer after questioning your intelligence in asking the question in the first place...


    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    Yes, it's normal procedure in the system. Even with government schools, there's different programs with different pricing. 20K though sounds expensive if it's a government school, but then you're white so you're probably getting jacked about.
    But what do I know....

  6. #6
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    I doubt they have better teachers (they will be regular teachers from the school) but your son will be in a class with fewer students and the classroom will have air con. Good for your son, I would say.

    Is there any change in the subjects, or hours, or language of teaching?
    I was under the impression that oral English was going to be taught,though with asking son,have found that he has an English lesson 1 hr a day,the teachers are from either UK or US,though there is only around 2-3 minutes speaking per day.

    which i find a tad frustrating.

    He normally finishes school around 4 to 4.30 pm,and does a lot of after school activities.

  7. #7
    RUSH HER TODAY
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Location
    On Peachment
    Posts
    9,566
    Like much of life, receiving and acting upon expert advice requires, humility, diligence and the ability to listen.Of course you 'll find out when one day you are dependent on his choices.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Posts
    3,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    We pay 20,000 baht twice a year.
    A complete waste of money.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    which i find a tad frustrating.
    Ain't ya gonna talk to the boy at home?

  10. #10
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,421
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.

  11. #11
    RUSH HER TODAY
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Location
    On Peachment
    Posts
    9,566
    The child is the father to man


  12. #12
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    We pay 20,000 baht twice a year.
    A complete waste of money.
    He gets air con.

    And going to Khao yai soon and staying in the palio hotel though don't know what date or who's paying.

  13. #13
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    Possibly because they live in Thailand.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    Honestly, if I couldn't afford an upper end school, I'd home school with a Thai coming in as a tutor for the Thai stuff.

  15. #15
    RUSH HER TODAY
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Location
    On Peachment
    Posts
    9,566
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    I'd home school
    Agreed if you'd been homeschooled by Chico you'd have been rounder


  16. #16
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    Possibly because they live in Thailand.
    But if you can't afford an international school or decent private school to get your own kids educated in why wouldn't you put your kids first and move back to the West to get them a decent education, Thailand will still be here when your kids finish their education. I had one year of my daughter in a Thai private school and that was enough for me, returned to UK when she was 5, 13 now in top set for everything and doing well.
    Independence day - June 23 for Brits.

  17. #17
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks David

  18. #18
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by david44
    Agreed if you'd been homeschooled by Chico you'd have been rounder
    But I'm guessing Chico could teach the difference between .... ah fuck, you've got me there....

    I'm guessing Chico could teach how a professional works and that a professional has to keep his word. That's always a good lesson.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    It's something I think Long and hard about but the quality of life in Thailand if you have money far exceeds the life I can give them in cold damp racist Liverpool
    I work all over the country/ world is it fair to do that to a kids childhood
    They have a great life and an extended family that I don't have in the UK
    It's a constant conundrum I can't work out

  20. #20
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Teakdoor forum upgrade office
    Posts
    11,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    I doubt they have better teachers (they will be regular teachers from the school) but your son will be in a class with fewer students and the classroom will have air con. Good for your son, I would say.

    Is there any change in the subjects, or hours, or language of teaching?
    I was under the impression that oral English was going to be taught,though with asking son,have found that he has an English lesson 1 hr a day,the teachers are from either UK or US,though there is only around 2-3 minutes speaking per day.
    English lessons for 1 hour a day with native English speakers but only around 2-3 minutes speaking per day! That seems odd.

    Will any of the other subjects be taught in English? (science or maths, for example).

  21. #21
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Also, not every lesson is about math or science or how to properly pronounce the phrase "really fucked" perfectly.

    It's about morality and ethics that I'm sure Chico will strive to teach the little one in.

  22. #22
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna
    English lessons for 1 hour a day with native English speakers but only around 2-3 minutes speaking per day! That seems odd.
    divide one hour by 30+ students....

  23. #23
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    Possibly because they live in Thailand.
    But if you can't afford an international school or decent private school to get your own kids educated in why wouldn't you put your kids first and move back to the West to get them a decent education, Thailand will still be here when your kids finish their education. I had one year of my daughter in a Thai private school and that was enough for me, returned to UK when she was 5, 13 now in top set for everything and doing well.
    You may want to read the OP,nothing about what you think or what you have done,and my son is doing well thanks in his school.

  24. #24
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Why any Westerner would subject their own offspring to Thai government schools as opposed to getting them educated in the West I have no idea.
    Possibly because they live in Thailand.
    But if you can't afford an international school or decent private school to get your own kids educated in why wouldn't you put your kids first and move back to the West to get them a decent education, Thailand will still be here when your kids finish their education. I had one year of my daughter in a Thai private school and that was enough for me, returned to UK when she was 5, 13 now in top set for everything and doing well.
    You may want to read the OP,nothing about what you think or what you have done,and my son is doing well thanks in his school.
    Doing well in a Thai government school, doesn't every child according to their perfect reports? I'm sure that his education compares favourably to the education he could have been receiving in the West.

  25. #25
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    Doing well in a Thai government school, doesn't every child according to their perfect reports?
    Let's see...if a child with a parent that pays well does well on their reports, do the parents keep enrolling the child?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •