Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    19-08-2015 @ 12:10 PM
    Posts
    12

    Why do Thai people speak English similar to the way a deaf person speaks ?

    I have only spent a few months in Thailand, but what I have noticed is that the way that Thai people speak English sounds very similar, to my ears, to the way that deaf people speak English.

    Marlee Matlin would be an example of the way that a deaf person speaks.


    Anyone else have the same opinion ? Any explanations or opinions as to why ?

    My apologies if this has been discussed before, I did not find a similar thread in my search of the forum.

  2. #2
    Special member
    jizzybloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,874
    Quote Originally Posted by monty burns
    Anyone else have the same opinion ?
    no...

  3. #3
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    13-04-2019 @ 11:54 AM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzybloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monty burns
    Anyone else have the same opinion ?
    no...
    Me neither

  4. #4
    Fuck it
    Satonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, etc..
    Posts
    3,113
    Been a member for 5 years and that's your first post?

    And I'm with JB & Zoo on that.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Jools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 08:41 AM
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    1,078
    An interesting observation but I suppose it has something to do with the fact that Thai is a TONAL language. Never gave it much thought.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    Maybe it's a reflection more upon the Thais you choose to associate with. Or maybe it's you that are deaf. Long time since I heard anything so stupid.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    adzt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    16-04-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Location
    watching&learning
    Posts
    1,229
    something to do with accent .

    thai s don't have the s ss sh in their vocab , plus whatever else ( I ain't looked that deep) and

    deaf people also can't hear accents .

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by adzt1 View Post
    something to do with accent .

    thai s don't have the s ss sh in their vocab , plus whatever else ( I ain't looked that deep) and

    deaf people also can't hear accents .
    What has accents got to do with it? Are you implying Thai people can't hear accents 'also'?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    I find it funny when Westerners try to say:

    ทำาน

    Or any syllable beginning with ง งู

    Man they sound like deaf retards.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    adzt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    16-04-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Location
    watching&learning
    Posts
    1,229
    ^^ yeah not regional accents but the likes of trying to speak French without the pomp or Spanish without the O or lisp , if you get what I mean.
    I've Thai family who speak English but always say because they hear it so little face to face they struggle with pronunciation .
    I.e speak like a deaf person who has never heard an accent.

    same in Thai . my wife always laughs at my word for snake. I always say rat .
    Ngoo and noo ( if that's spelt right ).
    will not put up wiv the "Nanny state" so don't push it on me.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,166
    hear me out, but I think he has a point. The Thai mouth movements, tongue movements, teeth movements are all very different to English. Watch a Thai kids mouth when they try to speak English words. They struggle at first as they can't make the sounds as those sounds aren't part of they're everyday learnt speech. This manifests in a way similair to the way deaf people mouth words.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier View Post
    hear me out, but I think he has a point. The Thai mouth movements, tongue movements, teeth movements are all very different to English. Watch a Thai kids mouth when they try to speak English words. They struggle at first as they can't make the sounds as those sounds aren't part of they're everyday learnt speech. This manifests in a way similair to the way deaf people mouth words.
    Maybe valid if you are talking about teaching Thai kids to speak English. Otherwise I disagree, I don't think Thai people sound like they are deaf.

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    19-08-2015 @ 12:10 PM
    Posts
    12
    I'm the OP.
    What I am trying to say is that my observation is that many Thais speak
    English in a flat, nasal, monotone.
    Very little enunciation, and many consonants dropped.

    I spent 5 years in the Philippines, and 5 years in China.
    The Chinese have their own way of speaking English, but they do seem to speak English more clearly than the Thais.



    .
    Last edited by monty burns; 07-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.

  14. #14
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    ทำงาน
    That's easy because it can be put in context.

    Snake - on the other hand. Every fucker thinks I'm running away from a rat.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    adzt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    16-04-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Location
    watching&learning
    Posts
    1,229
    thai's surely do pick up on accents though.
    sometimes my wife sounds more cockney than me ( poor lass) .
    and I used to know a tuk tuk driver who sounded Ozzie with that higher last syllable

  16. #16
    Member drawp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    22-05-2014 @ 12:53 PM
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    492
    i always thought it was due to the way thai was spoken, it is obviously way more tonal than English is and they seem to speak a bit more rhythmically than us English speakers, but I certainly do not think they speak like a deaf person.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    ทำงาน
    That's easy because it can be put in context.

    Snake - on the other hand. Every fucker thinks I'm running away from a rat.
    Surely you'd be running towards a dinner option, not away. In fact, either could be dinner.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Posts
    9,368
    ^Yes, but a rat bite probably doesn't sting as much as a snake one.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I always thought Thais sound Scouse when they speak - poor bastids.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    what about deaf Thai people?

    what do they sound like?

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Posts
    9,368
    ^Depends if they are mute I suppose...

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    what about deaf Thai people?

    what do they sound like?
    Would that be deaf from birth or deaf later on in life?

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Lambik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    11-04-2016 @ 09:03 AM
    Posts
    4,497
    Thais speak English in their own way, the same the
    English do when they speak French or
    French when they speak English, and same with nearly everybody not speaking his own language.

  24. #24
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Online
    26-01-2014 @ 06:58 AM
    Posts
    262
    I think it is because Thai are not used to English like say the Dutch. Everything on TV, movies etc, all synchronized to the Thai language. So what is the chance that Thai hear the correct way of pronouncing a word. Can't learn a language from a book, you have to speak it. most Dutch kids speak English before they go to school, they just pick it up from TV.

    Many Thai that do hear English, say bar girls, not only hear English from a native speaker, but all kinds of strange accents trying to speak English like the Dutch, Scandinavian, German, French etc.

    But the lack of English spoken TV programs is the main reason. I can still remember from my school, had 1 guy in the class who did not have a TV set at home, he spoke the worst English, shocking accent, because he had no idea how to pronounce it.

    French are the same, speak lousy English because same thing, everything on TV is synchronized to French. Movies in theatres have VO (version originale) or VF (version Francais), most French see the VF. Many French I know go to the VF because they say the subtitles go to fast. Thai would have that same problem, me thinks.
    If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.

  25. #25
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    11-07-2014 @ 08:15 PM
    Location
    quarantine
    Posts
    2,919
    they speak english as they speak thai... and it doesnt only sound the same, it also looks the same...

    its the same as with other people and languages, just that thai "looks" and "sounds" extremely different from the languages we got to "know" (listen to often) so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •