Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125

    I.G.C.S.E Courses in Thailand.

    My 15 year old son has just asked me if I know of any Bangkok based schools that uses the IGCSE curriculum and to teach their students.

    As I am aware there are a number of teachers on this forum I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me what this term means and if there are any schools I could contact on my son's behalf.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    FarangRed
    Guest
    What is IGCSE?

    International General Certificate of Secondary Education or IGCSE is usually taken
    by 14 to 16 years old students to prepare for higher academic work including AS Level,
    A Level, and International Baccalaureate (IB).

    University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) developed Cambridge IGCSE
    in 1988. It offers variety of areas: Languages, Humanities, Social Sciences, Mathematics,
    Creative, Technical and Vocational. British Council Thailand organizes Cambridge IGCSE
    examination twice a year to any student. Another examination board, Edexcel, also has
    its own version known as Edexcel IGCSE which is offered in some international schools.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Pretty sure GCSE was brought in in the UK because students were too stupid to take O levels, originally there was O levels and CSE's for the dumb ones, as students got dumber they lowered the levels and called them GCSE's, at least I think so.

  4. #4
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    ^^ Thanks mate. I'm looking at your explanation with my son now.

    I'll probably call the British Chamber of Commerce and Embassy tomorrow to check which schools in Bangkok run the programe.

  5. #5
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    as students got dumber they lowered the levels and called them GCSE's
    Quote Originally Posted by FarangRed
    IGCSE is usually taken
    by 14 to 16 years old students to prepare for higher academic work including AS Level,
    A Level, and International Baccalaureate (IB).
    Well I'm completely confused now.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    I'll probably call the British Chamber of Commerce and Embassy tomorrow to check which schools in Bangkok run the programe.
    NIST used to offer it, now no more.

    BPS still offer it, being British.

    ISB do not, as they have an American curriculum for lower levels.

    Probably a number of second tier International schools offer it.

    tis a year 10 or year 11 certificate.

    Why does your son want to do it ?

    Traditionally for kids who will not make it to completing their year 12 or year 13 certificate. (ie O levels, AP or IB)

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I'm sure NIST does/did IGCSEs, and I'd have thought Harrow does them.

    Have you checked on their website's?

    * Edit - that's the NIST query sorted.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    Well I'm completely confused now.
    DD is wrong.

    GCSE in England, IGCSE around the world. A year 10 certificate. If he is going to University he doesnt need it. (Except in Thailand, kids who finish IGCSE can get into Thai Universities, so your kid could get into Uni at age 16/17. - this does not work in UK, Aus or USA, as far as I know)

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Traditionally for kids who will not make it to completing their year 12 or year 13 certificate. (ie O levels, AP or IB)
    No - the (I)GCSE is what replaced the O level, and without them you cannot to A levels (in the UK at least).

  10. #10
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Why does your son want to do it ?
    No idea mate as his grades have been good and he seems to be very conscientious with regard to his studies and schoolwork.

    He is not happy with the curriculum this present school is offering and really wants to improve his chances of achieving a higher education.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    No - the (I)GCSE is what replaced the O level, and without them you cannot to A levels (in the UK at least).
    Ah, my mistake then, I always confuse the O and A levels.

    A quick edit then,

    A levels, AP or IB

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    No idea mate as his grades have been good and he seems to be very conscientious with regard to his studies and schoolwork.
    Worth sitting down and asking him same question, is it a short cut to a Thai University ? is it because his mates are going there, is it, as he said, a better offering than what he has currently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    He is not happy with the curriculum this present school is offering and really wants to improve his chances of achieving a higher education.
    Hmmm, he might be correct, the IGCSEs are a reasonable option, but better to check what his current school offers for senior school, imho.

  13. #13
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Worth sitting down and asking him same question, is it a short cut to a Thai University ? is it because his mates are going there, is it, as he said, a better offering than what he has currently.
    He is a bit of loner mate, always doing his homework and when finished practices on his piano and he is bloody good at it. A real good kid in fact and shows real discipline when it comes to his future and I want to back him as much as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Hmmm, he might be correct, the IGCSEs are a reasonable option, but better to check what his current school offers for senior school, imho.
    The school he presently goes to seems to have an emphases on the arts and culture and he is really interested in Mathematics and Science.

    I too feel that a change is necessary but which school to send him too even though it will mean a move away from the family in Pattaya during the school week.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    I too feel that a change is necessary but which school to send him too even though it will mean a move away from the family in Pattaya during the school week.
    Several good options mate.

    Depends where he will live, depends on $ and depends on what he wants.

    BPS is close to Pattaya than most other schools, NIST is close to SUkhumvit Road, Harrow and ISB and Shrewsberry are all futher away.

    There's several other options as well.

  15. #15
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    BPS is close to Pattaya than most other schools
    I assumed your reference BPS was Bangkok Pattana School.

    What does BPS stand for?

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    I assumed your reference BPS was Bangkok Pattana School.

    What does BPS stand for?
    Bangkok Pattana School

  17. #17
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Bangkok Pattana School
    Thanks mate and we have a house not far from there in Bangkok so it looks like me and the boy will be bunking up for the week and then going back to the family on the weekends if that is the school that offers what he needs.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    and then going back to the family on the weekends if that is the school that offers what he needs.
    It's an excellent school, rather larger than the one he is probably at now. pricier too. I think Blake7 sends his kids there, worth asking his opinion too.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,944
    BPS is nicely placed near the freeway to Pattaya (I think). Heard good things about it too.

    The problem with the lower Suk Int Schools is that it'll take the poor kid a couple more hours to get home with all the traffic on a friday night.

    What are his plans after iGCSE as that leaves 2 more years until university.
    I'd like to see what morning looks like
    Don't wanna drink pint after pint
    I wanna wake up without feeling sick
    But I can't cuz I'm a drug-abusing alcoholic

  20. #20
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    I think Blake7 sends his kids there, worth asking his opinion too.
    I know many who have sent their children there and as my boy can now read and write Thai then it shouldn't be a problem.

    I have been told the school is very good and I feel very comfortable after receiving your advice. Thanks mate.

  21. #21
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong
    What are his plans after iGCSE as that leaves 2 more years until university.
    No idea mate but we will take it term by term.

    I have been thinking about sending him down to OZ for his university degree and he is talking about Assumption whatever that is.

    And we have a family home just off Srinakarin Rd so the school is only a few Kilometres away.

  22. #22
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson
    Bangkok Pattana School
    Thanks mate and we have a house not far from there in Bangkok so it looks like me and the boy will be bunking up for the week and then going back to the family on the weekends if that is the school that offers what he needs.
    Pattana is the top school in Bangkok, super expensive, something like 20k a year

    ask Blake7, he is always bitching about School fees there, can't blame him though

  23. #23
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Pattana is the top school in Bangkok, super expensive, something like 20k a year
    20,000 baht ain't bad mate.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    madjbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,531
    its around 650k a year for years 12-13 and a little less for 10-11. NIST, BPS and ISB are the top 3 schools in BKK. Each have their plus and minus points.

  25. #25
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    28,125
    Quote Originally Posted by madjbs
    ts around 650k a year for years 12-13 and a little less for 10-11.
    About the same as I was paying at The Regents in Pattaya and thanks for your advice.

    Anyway we will work something out, I gotta sell more buckets...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •