Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6

    Any general public board for job postings?

    Hi Everyone!
    I just found this forum on the web searching for a job as a teacher.

    I read that you could pay money to agencies etc. but wouldn't it be nice with a free board for everyone where schools can be rated and offers could be public and free?

    I guess this would also benefit poor schools looking for both volunteers and teachers.

    I love Linux Ubuntu, Wikipedia.org and other open and free stuff, connecting people and making it better and more accessible for all in a way that commercial things never could.

    So, anyone have any comment to this?

  2. #2
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    If you do a search you will certainly find several of what you are looking for.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Engineering jobs not paying well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    I just found this forum on the web searching for a job as a teacher.

  4. #4
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6
    Dear Royal Monkey, :-)
    In my case it is a matter of living every moment as a happy individual. Sitting in a cold dark Sweden in front of a CAD-system or filling databases with numbers resulting in more stuff we don't really need felt a bit boring after a while.

    I did not know why I was miserable until I started to do meditation. Since then piece after piece has fallen into place. If you want to do good and feel good and make a difference the rest of your life, teaching children is a pretty good place to start. They are open for new input and they have the ability to learn. They also make me smile a lot. I love that. :-)

    I have found purpose in my life and that is what I would like for everyone else to do as well.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72 View Post
    Dear Royal Monkey, :-)
    In my case it is a matter of living every moment as a happy individual. Sitting in a cold dark Sweden in front of a CAD-system or filling databases with numbers resulting in more stuff we don't really need felt a bit boring after a while.

    I did not know why I was miserable until I started to do meditation. Since then piece after piece has fallen into place. If you want to do good and feel good and make a difference the rest of your life, teaching children is a pretty good place to start. They are open for new input and they have the ability to learn. They also make me smile a lot. I love that. :-)

    I have found purpose in my life and that is what I would like for everyone else to do as well.
    In that case, good on you.

    Do you mean English teaching ? DO you have experience? qualifications ?

  6. #6
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Location
    Thermae
    Posts
    18,371
    where in thailand are you looking to teach

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Dear Royal Monkey, :-)
    monkey jokes elicit greens

  7. #7
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6
    Well Baldrick,
    I'd love to tech in Thailand and my main reason for this choice is that I like many of the Thai people and the Thai tropical climate. I also like Laos. I could maybe teach in other countries as well.

    I would prefer a relaxed smaller city with less pollution and at least some tourists or other teachers to socialize with. It would be wonderful to live by a clean river or a waterfall or by the sea.

    Willy,
    Experience and Qualifications:
    In my own experience Asian people tell me that they understand my English and often wonder why they do not understand English native speaking people.

    There are many reasons:
    1. We start in early age to learn Oxford English. In my case at the age of ten.
    2. We watch English/American movies with Swedish subtitles.
    3. Swedish is in the same language group as English.
    4. In most cases Swedes are a gentle people with well developed empathy that are willing to adapt to the level of English of the human they are speaking with.
    5. We understand grammar better than a native speaker because almost all of us learn an additional language, usually German, French or Spanish in addition to English.
    6. And probably most important of all, we are less prone to use dialects and local slang that may cause confusion.

    I have also been teaching physics, chemistry, technology and calculus for 14-16 year olds all together for approx. 3 months in Sweden.

    I would love to mix teaching English with knowledge about environment and other things that the students have personal interest in.

    I just had the recommendation from an English native teaching friend that I should just visit local schools where I'd like to be and just talk to the principal.

    -So, What do you think, Willy? Good idea?

  8. #8
    Member plorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Posts
    997
    You will most certainly find a job in Thailand Engineer72, as I've done the same a couple of years ago, and just like you, I'm not a native speaker(Swiss). I didn't need a degree back then, as the language school I've been teaching for had an internal internet based testing system, in which I've surpassed every native speaker ever tested on in Chiang Mai.
    Like you mentioned, empathy, motivation are extremely important, the real challenge is to get them to speak and really practice the language.
    But don't forget that a couple of years ago the situation was different concerning legal issues, being a teacher on a tourist visa might not be the best idea anymore.

  9. #9
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6
    Legal is the only option for me.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,614
    Quote Originally Posted by plorf
    in which I've surpassed every native speaker ever tested on in Chiang Mai.
    Are the Welsh considered native speakers?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    sorry didnt see this reply earlier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    I just had the recommendation from an English native teaching friend that I should just visit local schools where I'd like to be and just talk to the principal. -So, What do you think, Willy? Good idea?
    Sounds like a good idea, then. try it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Legal is the only option for me.
    I'm not the expert here, but i think you can be legal anyway, more difficult for some schools, but possible. And i agree with your stance.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    I would really ask you to think about getting a teaching qualification in Sweden first, so you could get a proper teaching job at a proper school for a proper wage, rather than be a dancing monkey to a bunch of disinterested kids whose level is so low you'd need to bring a shovel to find it.

    But, up to you...

  13. #13
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    I would really ask you to think about getting a teaching qualification in Sweden first, so you could get a proper teaching job at a proper school for a proper wage, rather than be a dancing monkey to a bunch of disinterested kids whose level is so low you'd need to bring a shovel to find it.

    But, up to you...
    I think a good teacher will be able to find the motivation to learn and teach. You just have to get to know what they really want and to help them get it.

    Maybe the kids are giving you the finger because you are bossing them and stuffing them like a dictator. Then you should definitely get the finger and quit. A teacher must be positive and see the student.

    To be able to motivate is even more important than to have the actual knowledge as a teacher, because a motivated student will find the answers to his questions. That is what I believe.

    Everyone is motivated by something.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Maybe the kids are giving you the finger because you are bossing them and stuffing them like a dictator. Then you should definitely get the finger and quit. A teacher must be positive and see the student.
    I'm not a teacher or even a 'teacher'.

  15. #15
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 12:10 AM
    Location
    Knee deep in it
    Posts
    3,464
    ^ excactley your'e an TEFL'r

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    To be able to motivate is even more important than to have the actual knowledge as a teacher,
    the usual cry of the less than qualified.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pot
    excactley your'e an TEFL'r
    Or a TEFLer.


  18. #18
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 12:10 AM
    Location
    Knee deep in it
    Posts
    3,464
    Oar an TEFLur


  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    Look; don't tell anyone, but I'm a CIA Intelligence Agent on a special mission to see if there is any prostitution in Thailand.

    So far it appears to be clean...

  20. #20
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72 View Post
    6. And probably most important of all, we are less prone to use dialects and local slang that may cause confusion.
    Ya, sure...you betcha!

    You might Engineer, although it's a fair bet a lot of Svedes don't but...good luck, or chok dee krup as they say in Thai!

  21. #21
    Member arunah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    21-01-2014 @ 08:11 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Look; don't tell anyone, but I'm a CIA Intelligence Agent on a special mission to see if there is any prostitution in Thailand.

    So far it appears to be clean...

    Lying twot!! Then again, I guess it is where you are


  22. #22
    Curmudgeon
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In Transit
    Posts
    11,646

  23. #23
    Newbie Engineer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-04-2009 @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    Usually in Sweden, Thailand, Kambodia or Laos.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    the usual cry of the less than qualified.
    You are free to use that as an argument against the statement, but it does not prove that it is false. Maybe you find it hard to motivate the students?

    Looking briefly at some TEFL-books makes me draw the conclusion that doing these courses for ME is pointless and probably pointless for 99% of the students that I am about to teach....maybe even harmful for their motivation when/if I start to use this "against" them, playing the role of a boring dominant teacher. I guess it is easy to get the finger doing that.

    In my opinion it is better to make the students want to learn and create a dialog with them based on their personal interests. Then they are more likely to actually learn words and use them in real life. Reading books that interest them will make them get a natural feel for the language too.

    If they want to know the grammar it is good, but in my opinion that is secondary, especially in Asia. The English grammar will always be a challenge and motivation is definitely the primary thing needed.

    - Thanks for the link,Chassamui!
    Why does it say "Pattaya" under my name? How do I change that?
    Last edited by Engineer72; 04-04-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: adding a thank you and commenting on "pattaya".

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    16-04-2017 @ 04:52 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Why does it say "Pattaya" under my name? How do I change that?
    that is one of the most asked questions on TD

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Maybe you find it hard to motivate the students?
    That's the second time in 6 posts you've accused others of when disagreeing with their advice.

    Bit arrogant and presumptuous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    Looking briefly at some TEFL-book
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    In my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer72
    but in my opinion that is secondary, especially in Asia.
    So you have briefly read some TEFL books and are now suddenly a pedagogical guru.

    Right.

    Thailand neither wants you or needs you. You'd be best to follow MtD's advice and stay in Lapland and get some qualifications first. I've interviewed a dozen engineers for teaching jobs here, and not one could make the grade, I see no reason to think that you would be any different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •