Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Member traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    23-01-2014 @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    The golden state
    Posts
    100

    What country, in SE Asia would you say is the most lucrative place to teach today?

    Money-wise, I know it's not Thailand. Perhaps Vietnam or Singapore?

    And let's say you only had a BA degree with a TEFL.

    What do you think?, Thanks
    Last edited by traveler; 26-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Indonesia & Laos

  3. #3
    Hansum Man!
    panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    22-03-2016 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    18,507
    Singapore, not necessarily in a school but for private companies. Mind you, getting a visa for that is not on

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    Oman.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    1,358
    What type of teaching?

    If you mean teaching English, than I'd have to say Korea. Even though the won is pretty low, the chances of working hard, and making decent money (aside from the opportunity to work privates for good ching), is a plus.

    Plus, employers will pay for accomodations, and airfare. Money isn't everything though.

  6. #6
    Member Skettios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    31-08-2009 @ 08:33 PM
    Posts
    102
    I was in Taiwan last year. I worked a ton of hours but I was bringing in 100k a month or more. I had a full time job at around 650/hr and 8 hours of private tuition at 1000k an hour a week. My own house in the country for 10k a month.

    Baht and TWD are pretty close in value so the comparison is quite easy.

  7. #7
    Member Ghandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-08-2010 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Skettios View Post
    I was in Taiwan last year. I worked a ton of hours but I was bringing in 100k a month or more. I had a full time job at around 650/hr and 8 hours of private tuition at 1000k an hour a week. My own house in the country for 10k a month.

    Baht and TWD are pretty close in value so the comparison is quite easy.


    How do you compare the countries ?


    Thailand vrs. Taiwan ?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Depends on the school, for me Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore probably the best.

    But not for TEFL.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    1,358
    ^What about Korea?

    Japan is comparable, but they don't always pay for your accomodations. The cost of living is high as well.

    HK pays well, but not in TEFL. I was accepted into the NET scheme, but declined. That pays quite well. Have you heard of the public school NET scheme, traveller?

  10. #10
    Member Skettios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    31-08-2009 @ 08:33 PM
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skettios View Post
    I was in Taiwan last year. I worked a ton of hours but I was bringing in 100k a month or more. I had a full time job at around 650/hr and 8 hours of private tuition at 1000k an hour a week. My own house in the country for 10k a month.

    Baht and TWD are pretty close in value so the comparison is quite easy.


    How do you compare the countries ?


    Thailand vrs. Taiwan ?
    Taiwan is nice, but it can get really cold.

    People are very friendly if they know you, if not they tend to stare.

    I never got ripped off by anyone, and had a few times when locals helped me out of tight spots, so I'd say pretty good.

    Mind you, I've never really been ripped off in Thailand either, that I'm aware of.

    People don't really put themselves out to speak English, they can be very shy.

    I actually liked it a lot, but it's not as laid back as Thailand.

  11. #11
    Member traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    23-01-2014 @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    The golden state
    Posts
    100
    I have worked in Taiwan, Japan, and Thailand. Out of those three I prefer Thailand mainly because I prefer the culture, weather, and lifestyle. Of course you are sacrificing money for lifestyle going this route.

    Singapore and Vietnam seem to appeal to me. Of course if I work in Singapore it will probably be not for the British Council. I like the fact that Singapore is relatively close to most SE Asian countries and it is also very modern.

    Vietnam also appeals to me. You can make about twice as much as Thailand, but can preserve the lifestyle. Although I have heard some of the schools are a bit dodgy - you have to do your homework.

    Has anyone worked in Vietnam?

  12. #12
    I am in Jail
    Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    28-10-2017 @ 02:25 AM
    Location
    Nong Khai
    Posts
    12,239
    Do you fancy cup-o-noodles?

    I have a highly-placed contact...

  13. #13
    Member traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    23-01-2014 @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    The golden state
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound View Post
    ^What about Korea?

    Japan is comparable, but they don't always pay for your accomodations. The cost of living is high as well.

    HK pays well, but not in TEFL. I was accepted into the NET scheme, but declined. That pays quite well. Have you heard of the public school NET scheme, traveller?
    Not sure about Korea, I am sure I could get a job there in a flash though. Once I posted my resume on Dave's, despite stating I was interested in South Asia only loads of Korean schools were contacting me.

    What is the Net scheme? please explain.

  14. #14
    Member traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    23-01-2014 @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    The golden state
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpat View Post
    Do you fancy cup-o-noodles?

    I have a highly-placed contact...
    What are you getting at partner?

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    What is the Net scheme? please explain.
    \

    info here linky

  16. #16
    Member traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    23-01-2014 @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    The golden state
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    What is the Net scheme? please explain.
    \

    info here linky
    I am sure you have been called this a zillion times KW; you're a smartass!
    Last edited by traveler; 01-02-2009 at 08:16 AM.

  17. #17
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    16-09-2009 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    Whipping
    Posts
    1,073
    Oddly few responses understand Eglish or Geography
    SE Asia?

    Oman for balance of money and nice Arabs
    Japan for quality and Thailnd for esy life in a Uni NOT a school or BKK degree mill Elite Kings Kidzwonk etc these are bizniz that shaft staff and are always recruiting

    Indonesia is nice but money crap Laos is getting expensive as so many NGOs in capital jack up rents

  18. #18
    Newbie XAGT72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Online
    19-08-2015 @ 12:33 PM
    Location
    Yangon, Myanmar (since June 2014). Hanoi, Vietnam (Feb 2010 to June 2014)
    Posts
    16
    Currently living and working in Viet Nam as an English Teacher at an International School. No Degree, just a Cert IV in TESOL, but most schools here will jump at anyone with a Cert IV or higher because they just can't get enough people to teach.

    Legality wise, the work permits are reasonably hard to get (Degree's etc etc) but from what I've experienced most of the schools bend the rules and pay off the local police/officials etc and all is ok. You can work for 3 months legally without a Permit and then just do a border run and come back to start over again. It would appear that everyone in the Government know's this goes on but don't really care as they are all taking a bribe off someone along the way.

    Cost of living is really low, much lower than Thailand, and the pay is good. If you work for a language school you are looking at around the US$20 an hour start off with TESOL behind you and then anywhere up to US$35 after that. International Schools pay anywhere from US$1500 per month(at the lowest of the low) up to US$2500 -$3000 depending on qualifications. Most throw in Health Insurance, free meals, and a return flight to your home country or anywhere in Asia at the end of your contract.

    To sum it up - you can live really comfortable on even the most basic wage (if you don't go stupid of course) and flights to other SE Asia destinations are really cheap for those weekends away or border runs. I'd love to be working in Thailand but until I finish my Degree this is the next best place, but even then the longer I'm here the less I can see myself leaving.

    Hope this helps anyone who has similar questions.
    Scott.


    Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    I have worked in Taiwan, Japan, and Thailand. Out of those three I prefer Thailand mainly because I prefer the culture, weather, and lifestyle. Of course you are sacrificing money for lifestyle going this route.

    Singapore and Vietnam seem to appeal to me. Of course if I work in Singapore it will probably be not for the British Council. I like the fact that Singapore is relatively close to most SE Asian countries and it is also very modern.

    Vietnam also appeals to me. You can make about twice as much as Thailand, but can preserve the lifestyle. Although I have heard some of the schools are a bit dodgy - you have to do your homework.

    Has anyone worked in Vietnam?

  19. #19
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    14-08-2016 @ 04:16 PM
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by XAGT72
    Cost of living is really low, much lower than Thailand
    you mean blow jobs come cheaper than 500 baht ? According to what I read on the ISG , things are quite the opposite ...besides you can't own your accomodation and therefore have to add a rent to your monthly budget.

  20. #20
    Newbie XAGT72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Online
    19-08-2015 @ 12:33 PM
    Location
    Yangon, Myanmar (since June 2014). Hanoi, Vietnam (Feb 2010 to June 2014)
    Posts
    16
    Foreigners have been able to own properties for a little while now in Viet Nam, mainly units and houses but nothing like a big block of land like Thailand. Even without that, rent here is fairly cheap and doesn't make that much of a dent in the monthly budget, unless of course you want to live in one of the expat enclaves where you pay a ransom.

    We did a Visa run to Thailand back in November and were shocked on how much dearer everything was compared to Viet Nam. I speak enough Thai to get me in to trouble so I could barter pretty well, but even then things were, on average, twice the price at least of stuff here.

    As for your question on blow jobs, can't help you out there as I'm married and don't go for that, but I can tell you that the massages (proper ones) are a lot cheaper then Thailand.

    Quote Originally Posted by wefearourdespot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XAGT72
    Cost of living is really low, much lower than Thailand
    you mean blow jobs come cheaper than 500 baht ? According to what I read on the ISG , things are quite the opposite ...besides you can't own your accomodation and therefore have to add a rent to your monthly budget.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    16-04-2013 @ 04:32 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    207
    Whoever said you could make money in Laos is dead wrong. I work for one of the best colleges at $8.00 hr. But I live rent free here because I have building skills and I'm helping a family build a house. We are building a bathroom. Does anyone know about drainage systems in SEA?
    I was on a septic system in NorCal, but then we got a sewer hook up.
    Here in Vientiane we are dealing with soil that is perm wet. I don't want to contaminate anyones well--the water table is only about 10 meters right now. We should have the foundation, walls done by mid-April and be ready for a REAL TOILET. We we get our shower going it will be CIVILIZATION. Ha!

  22. #22
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,234
    There are some fukin shocking bits of 'advice' on this thread; some gems (some intentional, some not):

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    What country, in SE Asia would you say is the most lucrative place to teach today

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    Laos
    Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound
    Money isn't everything though
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbajohnny
    Oddly few responses understand Eglish
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbajohnny
    Japan for quality and Thailnd for esy life in a Uni NOT a school or BKK degree mill Elite Kings Kidzwonk etc these are bizniz that shaft staff and are always recruiting
    Quote Originally Posted by XAGT72
    Foreigners have been able to own properties for a little while now in Viet Nam, mainly units and houses but nothing like a big block of land like Thailand.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,699
    You missed the best post, the one just before yours that revived this thread.

  24. #24
    Newbie gregitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2013 @ 04:47 PM
    Location
    Loei, Thailand
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Money-wise, I know it's not Thailand. Perhaps Vietnam or Singapore?

    And let's say you only had a BA degree with a TEFL.

    What do you think?, Thanks
    I taught in North East Thailand....fun...if it is the money...do not do it! Made 25,000BT a month....the Thai teachers were only making 8000 to 10,000Bt!

    It was fun!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •