Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910
Results 226 to 241 of 241
  1. #226
    Somewhere Travelling
    man with no head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Posts
    4,833
    You see now? The real cost of oil is never factored in at the pump.

    I'd say all these companies making the $30 billion profits each year ought to be the ones paying for all the U.S. military support to keep the oil flowing.

  2. #227
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    Quote Originally Posted by surasak View Post
    It could be another Gulf of Tonkin in the making....maybe they are hoping Iran will accidentally do something to provoke the U.S. into acting.
    One can only hope, eh?

  3. #228
    Somewhere Travelling
    man with no head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Posts
    4,833
    It would be a mistake even worse than the Iraq mistake to invade or attack Iran.

    Only Bush would be so capable of such a blunder worse than the one already in Iraq.

  4. #229
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by surasak
    It would be a mistake even worse than the Iraq mistake to invade or attack Iran.
    It's highly debateable that they could invade Iran even if they wanted to (which they probably do).

    They're over-stretched and under-resourced in Afghanistan and Iraq as it is, where would they get the troops from for a start.

    Makes a bit of a mockery about the Wolfwitz/Rumsfield statement on '3 fronts capability' or whatever it was.

  5. #230
    Somewhere Travelling
    man with no head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Posts
    4,833
    If I were part of the leadership in China I would be elated at seeing the United States falter and unable to take on mere insurgents.

    Imagine the true disaster this would have been if it happened during the Cold War? The USSR would have had a blank check to walk all over the West because of the impotence of the U.S.

  6. #231
    Sauerkraut stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Oktoberfest
    Posts
    21,534
    Anyway, so apart from "the surge", has the Bush regime pursued any political solutions?
    Apparently not:
    US Won't Talk to Iran and Syria, Rice Says

    One key recommendation of the Iraq Study Group's report was that the US look to Syria and Iran to help quell the violence in Iraq. However, Condoleezza Rice has rejected the proposal, saying the price that these regimes may want in return could be too high.
    Reactions to Iraq Study Group Report: US Won't Talk to Iran and Syria, Rice Says - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News
    Further:
    In an exclusive interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE, Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah al-Dardari explains why the US wants to use Syria as an excuse for its failure in Iraq and why peace in Iraq is impossible without the involvement of Damascus.
    ...
    SPIEGEL ONLINE: Syrian President Bashar Assad recently said that Syria should take on a much larger role in helping to find a peaceful solution for Iraq. He said that Syria has a large influence in Iraq and therefore has to be the more important negotiating partner for the West. What kind of reaction did the government in Damascus get to this offer?

    Dardari: Unfortunately the official statements from Washington were not positive. The only thing I can say is the following: If any foreign power wants to play a constructive role in the Middle East, is has to do so via Damascus. Anyone who ignores Damascus cannot make a constructive contribution to the Middle East. Syria has good relations with all parties in Iraq. This is a unique situation: We are the only country which has very good relations to all Iraqi groups. We have credibility with everyone. And for that reason, everyone who wants to bring peace to Iraq has to work closely together with Syria.

    SPIEGEL ONLINE: The US claims that not only weapons but also fighters are being smuggled into Iraq over the Syria-Iraq border, and that the regime in Damascus is tolerating this. What do you say to these accusations?

    Dardari: We have naturally no interest whatsoever in Iraq sinking further into chaos. We want a stable, independent Iraq. We have a 600-kilometer-long (380-mile-long) border with Iraq -- in the desert. We have stationed 12,000 Syrian soldiers on the border. If you look on the other side, there is not a single Iraqi or American soldier there to secure the border. It doesn't work like that -- it takes two to tango. We have asked the Americans and the Iraqis to work together with us to secure the border, but they turned down our request. Maybe they want a scapegoat to explain their failure in Iraq. The Americans cannot manage to secure their border with Mexico, but they expect us to secure 600 kilometers of desert by ourselves.
    Interview with Syria's Deputy Prime Minister: "It Takes Two to Tango" - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

  7. #232
    Member Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    15-10-2009 @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    The Q Continuum
    Posts
    856
    The story about the American soldiers raping a 14 year old girl whilst at the same time murdering her family is, to me, the singular most revolting act in the this whole sorry war. If there was ever a reason for the Americans to be reviled by the rest of the world, this is it.

    "During the time me and Barker were raping Abeer, I heard five or six gunshots that came from the bedroom. After Barker was done, Green came out of the bedroom and said that he had killed them all, that all of them were dead. Green then placed himself between Abeer's legs to rape her. When Green was finished, he stood up and shot Abeer in the head two or three times."

    The entire crime took about five minutes and the girl knew her parents and sister had been shot while she was being raped.



    The truth is out there, but then I'm stuck in here.

  8. #233
    Thailand Expat Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 05:50 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,631
    Quote Originally Posted by surasak View Post
    It could be another Gulf of Tonkin in the making....maybe they are hoping Iran will accidentally do something to provoke the U.S. into acting.
    Hopefully the yanks will not shoot down any civilian airliners this time.....

    BBC ON THIS DAY | 3 | 1988: US warship shoots down Iranian airliner

  9. #234
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace
    the singular most revolting act in the this whole sorry war. If there was ever a reason for the Americans to be reviled by the rest of the world, this is it.
    and what's worse is that most americans have no idea that it happened.

  10. #235
    Somewhere Travelling
    man with no head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Posts
    4,833
    ...mostly due to ignorant Americans worrying more about who is the real father of ANS's daughter and which rehab Britney will enter next.

  11. #236
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,060
    good point.

    i've been really disappointed to see how much attention these 'stories' have been receiving.

  12. #237
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace
    the singular most revolting act in the this whole sorry war. If there was ever a reason for the Americans to be reviled by the rest of the world, this is it.
    and what's worse is that most americans have no idea that it happened.
    Oh yeah?
    It was on the front burner in the states for a good while.
    Despicible acts unfortunately occur during war - not excusing in any way what those soldiers did but it is a fact of life...

  13. #238
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    19-10-2017 @ 05:55 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    ^ yeah, someone invading your country with psychos and murderers is a fact of life, shit happens.

  14. #239
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    ^ yeah, someone invading your country with psychos and murderers is a fact of life, shit happens.
    Forrest Gump invented that expression...did you know that?

  15. #240
    Member Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    15-10-2009 @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    The Q Continuum
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee
    Despicible acts unfortunately occur during war - not excusing in any way what those soldiers did but it is a fact of life..
    ...and you condemn pacifists?

  16. #241
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee
    Despicible acts unfortunately occur during war - not excusing in any way what those soldiers did but it is a fact of life..
    ...and you condemn pacifists?
    Not really - just a philosophical difference I guess...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •