Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Posts
    4,838

    Again the Chinese: also better in movies?

    China Film Market to Eclipse U.S. Next Year: Study (Exclusive)

    The country will become home to the globe's top moviegoing audience in 2020 as the overseas OTT market soars, linear TV viewing shrinks and physical home entertainment fades to black, according to new projections from PricewaterhouseCoopers.
    It was quite a ride beginning a century ago with the likes of D.W. Griffith, Darryl Zanuck and Charlie Chaplin but America's reign as the dominant audience for movies will end in 2019, to be supplanted by China. This year, the U.S. box office may end up at $12.11 billion compared to China's $11.05 billion, according to new projections from PricewaterhouseCoopers. But in 2020, China's fast-growing sales at the box office will exceed that of the U.S., $12.28 billion to $11.93 billion and the country will dominate for the foreseeable future.

    China, with its population of 1.4 billion compared with 328.9 million in the U.S., has been selling more movie tickets than any other country since 2015, but 2020 marks the more significant sea change: the first time it will lead the world in revenue. PwC analyst C.J. Bangah notes that some may find it surprising that the theatrical industry overall will still grow through 2023 4 percent annually worldwide and 1 percent yearly in the U.S. "With on-demand home video, there were a lot of folks who thought cinema would die," says Bangah. "But tickets, admissions and screens are all projected to rise."

    The disruption in the entertainment industry doesn't end with China. PwC's report also indicates that, while streaming customers in the U.S. are still growing at 10 percent annually, upcoming services from Disney, WarnerMedia, NBCUniversal and others likely will have to rely on international markets if they intend to truly challenge Netflix's dominance. Globally, the so-called over-the-top market will grow 14 percent annually through 2023, according to the research and accounting firm famous in Hollywood for tabulating Oscar votes each year.

    Netflix reported in April that it had 149 million subscribers worldwide but acknowledged its growth is slowing due to near-saturation domestically and competition from Amazon, CBS All Access, HBO Now, Hulu and others. "The first-mover advantage in streaming video that Netflix has capitalized on to date continues to be eroded," PwC notes. Disney, with its new 21st Century Fox assets, will launch Disney+ on Nov. 12, which, as PWC says, "marks the start of a new challenge to the currently established order in the subscription VOD sector."

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-study-1215348

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    10,521
    All the new Hollywood "blockbusters" featuring Chinese actors / interest. Maybe because the Chinks still go to the cinema, and don't download everything for free from torrent sites.

  3. #3
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Posts
    59,093
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    All the new Hollywood "blockbusters" featuring Chinese actors / interest. Maybe because the Chinks still go to the cinema, and don't download everything for free from torrent sites.
    Why does that surprise you?

    The Bond franchise have been sticking stooges into the storyline for years to bolster local markets (c.f. Vijay Amritraj, Michelle Yeoh).

  4. #4
    Your local I.Q. Monitor
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    13-07-2019 @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    2,164
    Would be interesting to know the ticket price in China. Starting to get prohibitive in Australia especially if you buy the outrageously expensive food there

  5. #5
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,773
    Ticket prices depend on time of day: morning 30/40rmb, afternoon 70/80rmb, evening 80/90rmb. 90RMB = 18.73AUD

    Cinemas in Shanghai | SmartShanghai

  6. #6
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Posts
    59,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Cow View Post
    Would be interesting to know the ticket price in China. Starting to get prohibitive in Australia especially if you buy the outrageously expensive food there
    I went to the flicks in Danang last week, and when buying the ticket they asked me if I wanted a drink and popcorn.

    That's the first time they've tried to whack it on the ticket, naturally I said no.

    The new Godzilla movie cost me a princely 80,000VND (US$3.43), mind you that was at lunchtime on a weekday.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 01:11 AM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,703
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I went to the flicks in Danang last week, and when buying the ticket they asked me if I wanted a drink and popcorn.

    That's the first time they've tried to whack it on the ticket, naturally I said no.

    The new Godzilla movie cost me a princely 80,000VND (US$3.43), mind you that was at lunchtime on a weekday.
    You must be one sad man Harry, on holiday in Nam and spend 12 or more hours a day posting on TD.

  8. #8
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Posts
    59,093
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    You must be one sad man Harry, on holiday in Nam and spend 12 or more hours a day posting on TD.
    Which bit of "Last week" don't you understand you dumb shit.

  9. #9
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Ticket prices depend on time of day: morning 30/40rmb, afternoon 70/80rmb, evening 80/90rmb. 90RMB = 18.73AUD

    Cinemas in Shanghai | SmartShanghai
    Also depends on whether it's 3d, 4d, IMAX or standard view.
    If you buy online in advance you can get discounts. They also sell discount cards.
    Comfortable new movie theatres all over the place.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    8,473
    I hate to be the cleaning crew there, just imagine the shit you'd find.

    I'm not talking handbags...

    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

  11. #11
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,047
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
    I hate to be the cleaning crew there, just imagine the shit you'd find.

    I'm not talking handbags...

    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
    Explain.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    happynz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    on the corner of dusty and dustier
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Explain.
    Good luck with that.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    8,473
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
    I hate to be the cleaning crew there, just imagine the shit you'd find.

    I'm not talking handbags...

    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
    Ok, people leave things in theaters. Sometimes by accident, for example a handbag placed on the floor that is forgotten. Or a wallet that slips out of ones pocket. A jacket, hat or scarf laid on the empty seat next to you that is forgotten as the credits roll and the masses begin to shuffle out vying for a good spot at the exit from the parking lot.

    Other things are left on purpose. The six dollar super-size soda. The half eaten jumbo bucket of popcorn. The candy wrappers and the bubble gum stuck on the carpet. The pool of sticky stuff in the 3rd and 4th row that collects from all the accidental spills throughout the day. The turd in the corner of the dimly lit emergency exit left by the kid whose mother didn't teach him proper restroom etiquette for fear of missing the films climax.

    Was the statement that hard to dissect when we're talking about the most over populated place on Earth? Google overpopulation in china.

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there may be a problem with the model in the not too distant future.

    Hope that sort of puts a perspective on my original statement.

    The fish....and the nacho chips with cheese and jalapeno peppers on top that you just stepped in on your way out the aisle. And you don't even bat an eye because it's a way of life. China the beautiful.

  14. #14
    Your local I.Q. Monitor
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    13-07-2019 @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    2,164
    Nice to see you out and about fishy. D for your post but A+ for the explanation.

  15. #15
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,047
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
    Ok, people leave things in theaters. Sometimes by accident, for example a handbag placed on the floor that is forgotten. Or a wallet that slips out of ones pocket. A jacket, hat or scarf laid on the empty seat next to you that is forgotten as the credits roll and the masses begin to shuffle out vying for a good spot at the exit from the parking lot.

    Other things are left on purpose. The six dollar super-size soda. The half eaten jumbo bucket of popcorn. The candy wrappers and the bubble gum stuck on the carpet. The pool of sticky stuff in the 3rd and 4th row that collects from all the accidental spills throughout the day. The turd in the corner of the dimly lit emergency exit left by the kid whose mother didn't teach him proper restroom etiquette for fear of missing the films climax.

    Was the statement that hard to dissect when we're talking about the most over populated place on Earth? Google overpopulation in china.

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there may be a problem with the model in the not too distant future.

    Hope that sort of puts a perspective on my original statement.

    The fish....and the nacho chips with cheese and jalapeno peppers on top that you just stepped in on your way out the aisle. And you don't even bat an eye because it's a way of life. China the beautiful.
    Yeah, but nah.
    Not round these parts anyway.
    And there's an army of cleaners making everything spic and span between showings.
    And certainly no one pooping in corners. I'm guessing it's been a while since you were in China.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    8,473
    I believe it, this was at a Mall in Laos. I'm going to admit I was impressed as the place was spotless. No shortage of cleaning personnel.
    Last edited by fishlocker; 19-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    8,473
    But think about it for a second. 1.4 billion people generating 12.8 billion compared to 328.9 million people generating 11.93 billion says a lot. Interesting to see how this plays out over time as it becomes more mainstream for the "average" Chinese to go to the theater.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •