Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 342
  1. #101
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Posts
    3,972
    ‘Attack orchestrated from Washington’: Cuba slams US for ‘meddling’ accusation on Venezuela
    Published time: 27 Jan, 2019

    Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez has rejected US accusations that his country is “meddling” in Venezuela, and accused Washington of trying to “orchestrate” a coup to overthrow President Nicolas Maduro.

    Rodriguez’ comments came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Cuban “security and intelligence thugs” of propping up Maduro’s regime in his UN Security Council speech. He called on the international community to “pick a side,” choosing between President Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaidó, who declared himself interim president last week.

    “I categorically reject the slanderous accusations launched by the US Secretary of State against Cuba at the UN Security Council,” Rodriguez tweeted later on Saturday. “His attack on the constitutionality of Venezuela, orchestrated from Washington, is doomed to fail despite all lies.”

    “Washington designed, financed and arranged the alleged usurpation of the Venezuelan presidency,” Rodriguez claimed in a later tweet.

    Guaidó, until now the head of Venezuela’s opposition-led National Assembly, swore himself in as interim president last Wednesday. His symbolic declaration came after days of anti-government protests in Caracas, and after the country’s Supreme Court declared all acts of the National Assembly null and void.

    Within the hour, US President Donald Trump officially recognized Guaidó as Venezuela’s legitimate president, prompting Maduro to sever diplomatic ties with the US. Pompeo’s State Department promised to give Guaidó “the resources he needs to lead the government of Venezuela,” including $20 million in humanitarian aid.

    With most of Venezuela’s neighbors echoing American calls for regime change, Cuba is one of a handful of Latin American countries that stuck by Maduro, with Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel calling the US and Guaidó’s efforts “imperialist attempts to discredit and destabilize the Bolivarian revolution.” Bolivia and Uruguay remained loyal to the president, and Mexico’s newly-elected leftist government kept its diplomatic relations with Venezuela unchanged.

    The US called a UNSC meeting on Saturday to discuss the “situation in Venezuela” which was opposed by Russia and three other countries.

    “Venezuela does not represent a threat to peace and security,” Russia's UN ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia, told the Security Council. “If anything does represent a threat to peace, it is the shameless and aggressive action of the United States and their allies aimed at the ouster of the legitimately elected president of Venezuela.”

    https://www.rt.com/news/449912-cuba-...ing-venezuela/

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    ....a real free and independent democratic state is virtually impossible to find, as they don't exist - even in imaginary varying degrees.
    In name only, less practiced.


    Witness the world.
    What one might find today is literally corporatism or plutocracy.
    The most powerful nation on earth has spent the last 20 years trying to install democracy in Afghanistan. Who knows how many have died over that time. Now the Taliban( who refuse to talk with the puppet afghani government and will only deal directly with the US ) have done a deal with the US where the Taliban takes control of the country, but pinkie promises the US not to allow Afghanistan to become an international hub for terrorist training camps.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47015794

  3. #103
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    ‘Attack orchestrated from Washington’: Cuba slams US for ‘meddling’ accusation on Venezuela
    Published time: 27 Jan, 2019

    Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez has rejected US accusations that his country is “meddling” in Venezuela, and accused Washington of trying to “orchestrate” a coup to overthrow President Nicolas Maduro.

    Rodriguez’ comments came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Cuban “security and intelligence thugs” of propping up Maduro’s regime in his UN Security Council speech. He called on the international community to “pick a side,” choosing between President Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaidó, who declared himself interim president last week.

    “I categorically reject the slanderous accusations launched by the US Secretary of State against Cuba at the UN Security Council,” Rodriguez tweeted later on Saturday. “His attack on the constitutionality of Venezuela, orchestrated from Washington, is doomed to fail despite all lies.”

    “Washington designed, financed and arranged the alleged usurpation of the Venezuelan presidency,” Rodriguez claimed in a later tweet.

    Guaidó, until now the head of Venezuela’s opposition-led National Assembly, swore himself in as interim president last Wednesday. His symbolic declaration came after days of anti-government protests in Caracas, and after the country’s Supreme Court declared all acts of the National Assembly null and void.

    Within the hour, US President Donald Trump officially recognized Guaidó as Venezuela’s legitimate president, prompting Maduro to sever diplomatic ties with the US. Pompeo’s State Department promised to give Guaidó “the resources he needs to lead the government of Venezuela,” including $20 million in humanitarian aid.

    With most of Venezuela’s neighbors echoing American calls for regime change, Cuba is one of a handful of Latin American countries that stuck by Maduro, with Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel calling the US and Guaidó’s efforts “imperialist attempts to discredit and destabilize the Bolivarian revolution.” Bolivia and Uruguay remained loyal to the president, and Mexico’s newly-elected leftist government kept its diplomatic relations with Venezuela unchanged.

    The US called a UNSC meeting on Saturday to discuss the “situation in Venezuela” which was opposed by Russia and three other countries.

    “Venezuela does not represent a threat to peace and security,” Russia's UN ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia, told the Security Council. “If anything does represent a threat to peace, it is the shameless and aggressive action of the United States and their allies aimed at the ouster of the legitimately elected president of Venezuela.”

    https://www.rt.com/news/449912-cuba-...ing-venezuela/
    Of course Cuba has been supplying spooks and thugs. Where the fuck do you think they were getting their oil from? Paying market rates for it? (Although in fairness it did start with supplying doctors and medicines, but they fucked that up by expecting them to work for nothing and most of them screamed to go home).



    You dummy, fancy expecting RT to tell the truth when they have their hooks into Venezuela and don't want to let go.

    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oi...l-To-Cuba.html

  4. #104
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Posts
    3,972
    ^
    I fixed it for you:
    You dummy, fancy expecting CNN/WaPo/Fox (you name it) to tell the truth when they have their hooks into Venezuela and don't want to let go.

  5. #105
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,049


    WTF? When I last looked at this thread, I had there this pic of Medea Benjamin(Code Pink) protesting at the OAS...




    Anyway...Dr. Jill Stein had a couple of digs:

    https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw



    https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw







    Speaking of Chomsky...he signed on to this open letter:

    An Open Letter to the United States: Stop Interfering in Venezuela's Internal Politics
    https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ernal-politics

    an excerpt:

    Under the Trump administration, aggressive rhetoric against the Venezuelan government has ratcheted up to a more extreme and threatening level, with Trump administration officials talking of “military action” and condemning Venezuela, along with Cuba and Nicaragua, as part of a “troika of tyranny.” Problems resulting from Venezuelan government policy have been worsened by US economic sanctions, illegal under the Organization of American States and the United Nations ― as well as US law and other international treaties and conventions. These sanctions have cut off the means by which the Venezuelan government could escape from its economic recession, while causing a dramatic falloff in oil production and worsening the economic crisis, and causing many people to die because they can’t get access to life-saving medicines. Meanwhile, the US and other governments continue to blame the Venezuelan government ― solely ― for the economic damage, even that caused by the US sanctions.

  6. #106
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Witness the world.
    What one might find today is literally corporatism or plutocracy.
    or neo-feudalism


  7. #107
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,049
    ^^ What do the mods have against pics of Code Pink protests in current events and on topic?


  8. #108
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    16,342
    As many are aware western democracy is to offer the citizens a vote for a government. If the result does not gel with the "leaders", another "vote" is called for.

    Until the "counted votes" are "adjusted" to match expectations. Venezuela, Brexit, Scots Independence ...........

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    819
    Trump paid £200million to Facebook to secure potus role = western democracy.

  10. #110
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    Trump paid £200million to Facebook to secure potus role = western democracy.
    That's hare-brained even by TFH standards.


  11. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    819
    The source was the BBC. Confirmed on camera by the company who received the money and did the work.

  12. #112
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    The source was the BBC. Confirmed on camera by the company who received the money and did the work.
    Do you have a link?

  13. #113
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Posts
    3,972
    England blocks $1.2 billion in Venezuela gold

    After the US, UK and several other countries recognized Juan Guaido as president of Venezuela, the Bank of England blocked elected leader Nicolas Maduro from accessing $1.2 billion dollars in Venezuelan gold.


  14. #114
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    The source was the BBC. Confirmed on camera by the company who received the money and did the work.
    Hellooooooooo

    Do you have a link?

  15. #115
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post





    As it is their nature and history, regardless of said invented political identity - all extensions of the American establishment and supportive thereof.
    Amazingly enough, they tend to find a way to manipulate the already dumbed down and naive population by means of the usual calls and manners.

    Repeated in such propagandized manner, loud and often enough, it all becomes real and true.

  16. #116
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    The Trump administration dealt its toughest blow yet to the authoritarian Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro, issuing new sanctions on the nation’s state-owned oil company PDVSA that effectively block his regime from exporting crude to the U.S.

    The move ratchets up pressure on Maduro to resign and cede power to National Assembly leader Juan Guaido by cutting off the regime from the market where it gets the bulk of its cash. The U.S. and other countries recognized Guaido last week as Venezuela’s rightful president, and he said Monday he would take control of Venezuelan accounts abroad and appoint new boards to PDVSA and its Houston-based subsidiary Citgo Petroleum.


    President Donald Trump assailed Maduro in a letter to Congress explaining an executive order he issued sanctioning PDVSA and Venezuela’s central bank. The action would bolster Guaido, he said, while accusing Maduro’s regime of “human rights violations and abuses in response to anti-Maduro protests, arbitrary arrest and detention of anti‑Maduro protesters, curtailment of press freedom, harassment of political opponents, and continued attempts to undermine” Guaido’s government-in-waiting.

    “The U.S. is holding accountable those responsible for Venezuela’s tragic decline,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said.


    U.S. officials had long been hesitant to apply sanctions on Venezuelan oil because they did not want to exacerbate the humanitarian crisis in the country. But with Maduro and Guaido, a 35-year-old engineer-turned-lawmaker, locked in a struggle for support in the streets and the military, they decided it’s now worth the risk. Guaido so far hasn’t been able to sway the armed forces to his side but he’s tapped deep public discontent with an economy beset by hyperinflation and vast shortages of food and medicine.

    In an interview with CNN en Espanol, Guaido said that he had spoken to Trump, but did not provide any details.


    National Security Adviser John Bolton told reporters at the White House that Trump’s action would block $7 billion in Venezuelan assets and reduce the country’s exports by $11 billion over the next year, though Maduro is sure to attempt to sell PDVSA’s crude elsewhere. Bolton urged Venezuela’s military to accept a peaceful transfer of power to Guaido.


    Mnuchin said that Citgo would be able to continue to operate but won’t be allowed to remit money to the Maduro regime. Its proceeds must instead be held in blocked U.S. accounts. The Treasury secretary added that in the “short term” he expects “modest” impact on U.S. refineries. He noted the sanctions wouldn’t affect oil already purchased that is being shipped, and said he didn’t expect U.S. gas prices to rise.


    Maduro decried the asset freeze as a “robbery” on state television Monday evening and instructed PDVSA’s President Manuel Quevedo to take legal actions in U.S. and international courts against the sanctions.


    West Texas Intermediate crude futures in New York advanced 0.8 percent to $52.40 a barrel as of 6:01 a.m. in London on Tuesday, after closing down 3.2 percent on Monday.


    As of Monday, all PDVSA assets and property subject to U.S. jurisdiction are blocked, according to a Treasury statement, and U.S. citizens and companies are generally prohibited from doing business with the Venezuelan firm. The move is consistent with the Trump administration’s efforts to starve Maduro of oil money, while still blunting the potential impact on U.S. refiners and U.S. motorists, said Jim Lucier, managing director of Washington, D.C.-based Capital Alpha Partners.


    The administration is using “a scalpel, rather than a meat ax,” he said in an email.


    U.S. Senator Marco Rubio praised the sanctions in a statement released before they were
    announced.


    “The Maduro crime family has used PDVSA to buy and keep the support of many military leaders,” Rubio said. “The oil belongs to the Venezuelan people, and therefore the money PDVSA earns from its export will now be returned to the people through their legitimate constitutional government.”


    The Florida Republican represents a large Venezuelan expatriate community and is a vocal opponent of the Maduro regime, which the U.S. declared illegitimate last week.


    But Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey, the senior Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, said the Trump administration should brief Congress on its moves against Maduro. He praised U.S. efforts to “support the restoration of democracy in Venezuela” but said “there are more questions than answers about the administration’s strategy.”


    The sanctions would be the latest move in Trump’s campaign oust the leftist regime of Maduro, who succeeded the late President Hugo Chavez in 2013.


    PDVSA has been moving away from dollar-denominated transactions in the past couple of years, since the Trump administration announced financial sanctions in August 2017. The company sells oil to clients in the U.S., Europe and Asia and requires payment in euros, and buys gasoline and diesel for payment in euros as well.


    PDVSA also buys fuels via Citgo, owner of three refineries in the U.S. Most of those are barter deals, which means PDVSA gets the fuels and pays the suppliers — including trading house Vitol SA and Reliance Industries Ltd from India — in Venezuelan crude.


    U.S. officials successfully lobbied the the Bank of England to deny Maduro access to $1.2 billion worth of gold the government holds in London, stymieing the regime’s efforts to pull in cash from abroad. The U.K., along with Canada and most Latin American countries, followed the U.S. in recognizing Guaido as the country’s legitimate leader.


    The Treasury Department also issued licenses on Monday authorizing Chevron Corp., Halliburton Co., Schlumberger Limited, General Electric Co.’s Baker Hughes unit and Weatherford International PLC to continue operations in Venezuela through July 27.

    https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandga...-central-bank/

  17. #117
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    As it is their nature and history, regardless of said invented political identity - all extensions of the American establishment and supportive thereof.
    Amazingly enough, they tend to find a way to manipulate the already dumbed down and naive population by means of the usual calls and manners.

    Repeated in such propagandized manner, loud and often enough, it all becomes real and true.
    This hurting a lot of democrats. They are sobbing into their vegetable smoothies about yet another abject failure of phony, populist socialism.

  18. #118
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    They will still be able to ship for the US for three months, although any revenues will be held in an account until sanctions are lifted.

    So will Maduro block shipments now so the opposition don't get any money?

  19. #119
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    16,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    the Bank of England blocked elected leader Nicolas Maduro from accessing $1.2 billion dollars in Venezuelan go
    If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

  20. #120
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    16,342
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    although any revenues will be held in an account until sanctions are lifted.
    Similar to Libya. Unfortunately the cupboard was bare when the sanctions were lifted.

  21. #121
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    5,566
    Empire extensions continue.
    Same as it's been for ages.
    Receiving the usual support from the usual backward circles - and truly haven't a clue.

    Romanticizing and championing the cause.

  22. #122
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    Trump paid £200million to Facebook to secure potus role = western democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    The source was the BBC. Confirmed on camera by the company who received the money and did the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Hellooooooooo
    Do you have a link?

    This is the closest thing I can find. I heard her say(in the video) $85 million US.


    The digital guru who helped Donald Trump to the presidency
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine...the-presidency

    Many of the "Tech Gods" were dismayed when Donald Trump - who holds a very different worldview - won the American presidency. But did they actually help him to win?

    A key insider from the Trump campaign's digital operation - Theresa Hong - unravels for the first time the role played by social media and Facebook's in getting Trump into the White House.

    Jamie Bartlett learns how Facebook's vast power to persuade was first built for advertisers, combining data about our internet use and psychological insights into how we think.
    Last edited by SKkin; 29-01-2019 at 04:17 PM.

  23. #123
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    “The Maduro crime family has used PDVSA to buy and keep the support of many military leaders,” Rubio said. “The oil belongs to the Venezuelan people, and therefore the money PDVSA earns from its export will now be returned to the people through their legitimate constitutional government.”
    Suuuure it will.

  24. #124
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    This is the closest thing I can find. I heard her say(in the video) $85 million US.
    At what point in the video?


    The digital guru who helped Donald Trump to the presidency
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine...the-presidency
    And does she work for Facebook?

    Let's see how much further we have drifted from the truth with:

    Trump paid £200million to Facebook to secure potus role = western democracy.

  25. #125
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Posts
    55,435
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Similar to Libya. Unfortunately the cupboard was bare when the sanctions were lifted.
    Again, some kind of evidence that you aren't just making shit up again would be nice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •