Page 1 of 552 1234567891151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 13778
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600

    President Donald Trump

    Trump will be the president of a very divided country. He cannot claim a mandate based upon the popular vote but he will have tremendous leverage with a mostly agreeable Republican house and senate.
    Personally I think the Democrats should behave in exactly the same way that Republicans behaved during the Obama presidency. Obstruct and resist every thing he puts forward and wait until the next election.
    This post has not been authorized by the TeakDoor censorship committee.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    The problem with the Dems in congress is that they are too nice, too eager to compromise. They need to learn from the nasty tactics of the opposition. Time to be real assholes.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    Reince Priebus or Steve Bannon as WH chief of staff. Bannon? Could there be a more divisive choice? Maybe a big blunder right out of the gate.

  4. #4
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    26,116
    This will be a long running thread. Guaranteed to bring out the worst and best from TD's political pundits.

    Trump calls Obama 'a very good man' after historic White House meeting

    Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama welcomed President-elect Donald Trump to the White House Thursday, as both men put past antagonisms aside in a time-honored ritual epitomizing the peaceful transfer of political power.

    Three days after mocking Trump as unfit to control the codes needed to launch nuclear weapons, Obama told his successor that he wanted him to succeed and would do everything he could to ensure a smooth transition.

    Trump calls Obama 'a very good man' after historic White House meeting - CNNPolitics.com

    Trump promises to repeal Obamacare in first meeting with Congress

    Donald Trump promised to move "rapidly" to make big changes in Washington during his first visit as President-elect, following visits with the Republican leaders who will be charged with executing his agenda in Congress.

    "We can't get started fast enough, whether it's healthcare or immigration, so many different things, we'll be working on them very rapidly and I think we'll be putting things up very quickly," Trump said in a brief press statement after dining alongside Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Vice President-elect Mike Pence. "We had a very good meeting, a very detailed meeting. We're going to lower taxes as you know, we're going to fix healthcare and make it more affordable and better, we're going to do a real job for the public."

    He reiterated those priorities, naming immigration and the border, healthcare, and jobs as his top three "really good priorities" after meeting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

    Trump promises to repeal Obamacare in first meeting with Congress - NY Daily News

    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    agreeable Republican house and senate.
    Things I think will happen quickly:

    Obama care is history replaced with a combination of existing Republican plans.

    There will be a wall bill passed. Something more than current Republican plans but less than the great wall of China envisioned by Trump supporters. There will not be a mass roundup of 11.5 million illegals. Banning of all Muslim immigrants Trump promise will quietly dissapear.

    NAFTA will be renegotiated. Both Mexico and Canada ready to do so.

    There will be a large infrastructure bill to create jobs. Somewhere around 1 trillion which will increase deficit.

    The supreme court will have a new conservative member.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Obama care is history replaced with a combination of existing Republican plans.
    Not so fast Norton. A new healthcare law will require 60 votes in the Senate. Repealing Obamacare can happen almost immediately since defunding it only requires 51 votes in the Senate.

  6. #6
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Personally I think the Democrats should behave in exactly the same way that Republicans behaved during the Obama presidency. Obstruct and resist every thing he puts forward and wait until the next election.
    Not my country, but my 2 cents worth. There is an old saying "give a man enough rope". I would tend to let him do what he wanted, and see how quickly he can hang himself.

    For the Dems, they need to sit back and reflect. To me, from afar, it is not so much that Trump won, but that much of the country decisively rejected Clinton and the old politics as usual schtick.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    but that much of the country decisively rejected Clinton
    279 electoral votes and Clinton winning the popular vote is not exactly decisive.

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg
    For the Dems, they need to sit back and reflect
    what they need to reflect on is the obstuctionism on the part of the Republican party for the last eight years.

  8. #8
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    26,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    A new healthcare law will require 60 votes in the Senate
    It will but if the replacement plan includes preexisting clause and coverage for all sure there will be enough Dems to have it pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    Personally I think the Democrats should behave in exactly the same way that Republicans behaved during the Obama presidency. Obstruct and resist every thing he puts forward and wait until the next election.
    4 more years of government gridlock? Wonderful idea.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    beazalbob69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    10-07-2017 @ 03:09 PM
    Location
    Between here and nowhere.
    Posts
    1,467
    It will just be another 4 years of arguing and getting nothing done, maybe a few new bills will get passed that are watered down versions of the originals.

    It still comes down to the fact that 50% of the country completely disagrees with the other 50%. Everything has to be all or nothing, black or white, nobody agrees on anything just like here on TD.

    Divide and conquer.
    I'm not saying it was Aliens, but it was Aliens!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    A new healthcare law will require 60 votes in the Senate
    It will but if the replacement plan includes preexisting clause and coverage for all sure there will be enough Dems to have it pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    Personally I think the Democrats should behave in exactly the same way that Republicans behaved during the Obama presidency. Obstruct and resist every thing he puts forward and wait until the next election.
    4 more years of government gridlock? Wonderful idea.
    Norts, if Clinton would have won do you think they all would be singing kumbaya?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    13,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Trump will be the president of a very divided country. He cannot claim a mandate based upon the popular vote but he will have tremendous leverage with a mostly agreeable Republican house and senate.
    Personally I think the Democrats should behave in exactly the same way that Republicans behaved during the Obama presidency. Obstruct and resist every thing he puts forward and wait until the next election.
    I actually feel kinda sorta, sorry for you Hubert, as you are clearly too dim to realize what just happenned.

    It isn't about Trump or Clinton. It is all about ending the lying cheating government bullshit.

    You are sadly too fucking stoopid to see it.

  12. #12
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    6,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    It isn't about Trump or Clinton.
    LOL, shouldn't the presidential election be about the candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    It is all about ending the lying cheating government bullshit.
    Well, if anyone knows lying and cheating, it'll be Trump. You do realize, Earl, that trump got elected president, not supreme dictator, right?

    I'm guessing that many key republicans ain't too happy with Trump, since most of them didn't support him in the election. What did he call McCain? A loser because a winner would have never been captured or some such shit? That's the kind of stuff that isn't forgotten.

  13. #13
    Member
    JayZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    04-11-2017 @ 05:32 AM
    Posts
    431
    Trump has already suggested that healthcare policy is delegated to a State level - he doesn't need federal legislation that way.

    If, and it seems likely, he inducts many of his family into the political establishment (and he is now part of it, like it or not), he, & they, are going to face a huge conflict of interest with their outside businesses. It could be become rather messy. If he lasts four years, he's going to look like a very old man at the end of it...

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    13,691
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    It isn't about Trump or Clinton.
    LOL, shouldn't the presidential election be about the candidates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    It is all about ending the lying cheating government bullshit.
    Well, if anyone knows lying and cheating, it'll be Trump. You do realize, Earl, that trump got elected president, not supreme dictator, right?

    I'm guessing that many key republicans ain't too happy with Trump, since most of them didn't support him in the election. What did he call McCain? A loser because a winner would have never been captured or some such shit? That's the kind of stuff that isn't forgotten.

    You are not paying attention. Perhaps the California vote on cannabis will give ya clue!

    People are rejecting bullshit government.

    The war on drugs: fail
    The evil rooskies: fail

    List goes on and on.

    Arizona voted down the cannabis law, shows how stupid ya gotta be to have John McCain as your representative.
    From the Gospel of Earl

  15. #15
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,094
    My 2 cents: If it was wrong for the 'Pubs to be whiny obstructionist crybabies then it would be wrong for the Dems to emulate them.

    They should evaluate each proposal and then approve/reject it on its own merits. Just because Trump is a raging asshole doesn't automatically mean he will never have a decent idea once in a while.

    Now, if he starts with shit like proposing Roy Moore for SCOTUS or something then they should bork it all the way but to sink to the level of the 'Pubs during Obama's 2 terms will hurt them; the GOP is much, much better at messaging than the Dems.

    Norton is right, give Trump enough rope and he'll hang himself soon enough.
    bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

  16. #16
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    6,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    Arizona voted down the cannabis law, shows how stupid ya gotta be to have John McCain as your representative.
    What's him being a senator have to do with the people exercising their will?

    That's like saying a bird and a plane must be the same thing because the both fly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    You are not paying attention. Perhaps the California vote on cannabis will give ya clue!

    People are rejecting bullshit government.
    Ain't it the government bullshit that ensures Californians have the right to vote on issues like that?

  17. #17
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:33 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    6,061
    Quote Originally Posted by slackula
    Just because Trump is a raging asshole doesn't automatically mean he will never have a decent idea once in a while.
    Even blind hogs occasionally find an acorn .....

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Posts
    11,494
    I shall refer to him henceforth as Donald Turd.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,166
    we should brace ourselves for the worst imaginable outcomes. this jackass doesn't know the first fcuking thing about domestic public policy or international relations.

    the dems have little chance of winning the senate in 2018, so it's going to be four long and dangerous years for the nation and the world.

  20. #20
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    16,256
    ^^Not up to your normal standard.

    How about "The Big Cheeto"?

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,166
    Quote Originally Posted by slackula
    Just because Trump is a raging asshole doesn't automatically mean he will never have a decent idea once in a while.
    i have no doubt that he will have ideas that wall st. will find "decent".
    main st.? not so much.

  22. #22
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Posts
    45,969
    Oh fuck, they've given the c u n t his twitter account back!

    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

    Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    13,691
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post

    Even blind hogs occasionally find an acorn .....
    Ridiculous/ignorant analogy, pigs use their sense of smell to locate acorns, truffles, ect.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    13,691

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post

    Ain't it the government bullshit that ensures Californians have the right to vote on issues like that?
    Perhaps you didn't notice, but there is a wee distinction between state and federal government....

  25. #25
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Posts
    45,969
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    we should brace ourselves for the worst imaginable outcomes. this jackass doesn't know the first fcuking thing about domestic public policy or international relations.

    the dems have little chance of winning the senate in 2018, so it's going to be four long and dangerous years for the nation and the world.
    Conversely, if him and the GOP ram through things like Obamacare repeal and screw the economy attempting his stupid "deals", it might get out a lot more of the 107 million that (amazingly to me) didn't vote this time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Klondyke

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •