Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 201

Thread: White Privilege

  1. #176
    Thailand Expat
    David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Most landlords are white.
    Are you referring to the USA?

    Link to the fact that 'Most landlords are white'
    Yes.

    https://inequality.org/research/owns-land/
    Yep, good article, and appreciate the link.

    But, from that article, given that "African Americans, making up 13 percent of the population"

    So, would it not be logical that 'Most landlords are white' ?

    I'm not showing a bias, just looking at the facts.
    Perspective is everything ... it's the difference between going through an ordeal or going through an adventure..

  2. #177
    Thailand Expat
    Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    23-11-2017 @ 12:05 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    It's a bunch of BS made up by the so-called minorities to excuse their lazy behavior and or jealousy.
    I agree, and say that if it got REVERSED to where YOU were NOT BLACK, HISPANIC or JAPANESE or Chinese you were not eligible for a job even if you SCORED higher in a job application just because YOU were not from a MINORITY. I know it happened to me 40 years ago.
    Last edited by Eliminator; 10-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Eliminator
    1986 Kawasaki 900

  3. #178
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    No it is not like you said bozo and my butt is just fine unlike yours. Take your white nationalist bullshit to another forum.
    Nationalist?? I'm Canadian. Do you think we have superiority complex
    But yes I am white, that is only a problem if your a racist though.

  4. #179
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator
    BLACK, HISPANIC or JAPANESE or Chinese
    Chinese people not deserving of capitals? Racist.

    Anyway it's safe to assume any job you missed out on wasn't owing to reverse-racism but rather because you're a bit of a fucking nutter.


  5. #180
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    But yes I am white, that is only a problem if your a racist though.
    Please, share your experiences of being persecuted and subjugated and discriminated against for being a white male.

    It must've been horrific.

    Ps. It's "you're", you would've learnt that but for the racist education system.

  6. #181
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    Nationalist?? I'm Canadian.
    Oh so being a hoser exempts you from nationalism? Wow and you claim I am stupid.

  7. #182
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    Nationalist?? I'm Canadian.
    Oh so being a hoser exempts you from nationalism? Wow and you claim I am stupid.
    Nationalism suggests a desire for a unified characteristics in language, religion, politics,
    and culture. It also suggests a desire to be self sufficient and isolationist.
    Canadians are light years away from any of that. We are from everywhere we are completely multicultural and we do just fine. Yes we do have a scourge of socialism in our midst and the deep shame of dropout Justin (Bieber) Trudeau as our school council president. But other than that we have our shit together.

  8. #183
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    Yes we do have a scourge of socialism in our midst
    You could always go to the U.S. for your healthcare and pay for it.

    Strike a blow against that socialism.

  9. #184
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson
    You could always go to the U.S. for your healthcare and pay for it.
    As long as they give him the appropriate tax break for not using his countries healthcare it shouldn't be too much of a problem eh?

  10. #185
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Tax?? That's used to pay for socialist programs such a police and fire services.

  11. #186
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    I should, but I don't want to abuse my white privilege

  12. #187
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    I should, but I don't want to abuse my white privelage
    Not very committed to the cause are you.

    Clearly you don't understand either white privilege or socialism.

    Ps. It's "privilege".

  13. #188
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson
    That's used to pay for socialist programs such a police and fire services.
    Maybe in your pocket-change country, but in the US that's mostly paid for by local taxes. Property tax. State tax. Federal Tax (the big one) goes to the feds, not local municipalities, for the most part.

  14. #189
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    But, from that article, given that "African Americans, making up 13 percent of the population"
    So, would it not be logical that 'Most landlords are white' ?
    Of course it would, to a normal person.

    To a grandstanding SJW with an agenda? Yeah...

  15. #190
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    I should, but I don't want to abuse my white privelage
    Not very committed to the cause are you.

    Clearly you don't understand either white privilege or socialism.

    Ps. It's "privilege".
    But you SJW's swear that I have this privilege, I thought if I went across the border it would be all yes suh, right away suh. Are you backtracking now?

  16. #191
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson
    That's used to pay for socialist programs such a police and fire services.
    Maybe in your pocket-change country, but in the US that's mostly paid for by local taxes. Property tax. State tax. Federal Tax (the big one) goes to the feds, not local municipalities, for the most part.
    You edited my post to leave the word "tax" out of it and then went on to explain that tax in the U.S. isn't used to pay for police and fire services because that's paid for by tax...

    *DERP-A-FUCKY-DERP!*


  17. #192
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    But you SJW's swear that I have this privilege, I thought if I went across the border it would be all yes suh, right away suh. Are you backtracking now?
    But you don't go across the boarder do you. That would be putting your money where your mouth is. But nope, you stay right there in Canadialand going on about 'socialism!' whislt availing yourself of socialist programs and services.

    Poor attempt to shift the posts. Try again.

  18. #193
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    But you SJW's swear that I have this privilege, I thought if I went across the border it would be all yes suh, right away suh. Are you backtracking now?
    But you don't go across the boarder do you. That would be putting your money where your mouth is. But nope, you stay right there in Canadialand going on about 'socialism!' whislt availing yourself of socialist programs and services.

    Poor attempt to shift the posts. Try again.
    I don't often cross the border in to Canada actually and haven't been to the states since 2006.

    So I would say that I am doing a pretty fine job of not availing myself to the socialist programs of Canadialand. Lots of people do cross that border for healthcare though. People don't like our year long wait lists to see a specialist or get an important test.

  19. #194
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    So I would say that I am doing a pretty fine job of not availing myself to the socialist programs of Canadialand
    Yeah right. Until you do and then it's all like 'where's me gubmint help??'.

  20. #195
    Newbie
    Rusty Rebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 10:45 AM
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rebar
    So I would say that I am doing a pretty fine job of not availing myself to the socialist programs of Canadialand
    Yeah right. Until you do and then it's all like 'where's me gubmint help??'.
    I am shooting for a lingering death in a back bedroom of one of my kids houses.

  21. #196
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Posts
    10,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    This says it all. White privilege. We have it and refuse to see it.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...coates/537909/

    Ta-Nehisi Coates: "To Trump, whiteness is neither notional nor symbolic but is the very core of his power. In this, Trump is not singular. But whereas his forebears carried whiteness like an ancestral talisman, Trump cracked the glowing amulet open, releasing its eldritch energies. The repercussions are striking: Trump is the first president to have served in no public capacity before ascending to his perch. But more telling, Trump is also the first president to have publicly affirmed that his daughter is a “piece of ass.” The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape ('When you’re a star, they let you do it'), fending off multiple accusations of such assaults, immersed in multiple lawsuits for allegedly fraudulent business dealings, exhorting his followers to violence, and then strolling into the White House. But that is the point of white supremacy—to ensure that that which all others achieve with maximal effort, white people (particularly white men) achieve with minimal qualification. Barack Obama delivered to black people the hoary message that if they work twice as hard as white people, anything is possible. But Trump’s counter is persuasive: Work half as hard as black people, and even more is possible."
    "Ta-Nehisi Coates’ powerful new essay, “The First White President,” offers up an indictment of white America — and white punditry — that is more sweeping than it first appears. Coates’ argument is not just that Donald Trump’s ascent was fueled by the racism of much of his white electorate. It’s also that Trump’s candidacy, election, and presidency, coming in the first election following two terms of the nation’s first black president, represent nothing less than an effort to eradicate the very fact that America elected a black president in the first place.

    Coates argues that we must forthrightly confront the wretched reality that Trump won because he framed his candidacy, overtly, as a “negation” of the first black presidency — as a promise to cancel it as a kind of historical accident. Trump launched his rise with the “birther” charge that Barack Obama’s presidency was illegitimate. and vowed to erase the Obama legacy, i.e., to obliterate all historical evidence of the first black president’s successes. Thus, Coates argues, Trump’s ascension constitutes at its core a reassertion of white supremacy as the rightful American order.

    There is another claim embedded in that one that I want to try to say something about. Coates extensively challenges a noxious strain of punditry about Trump’s victory, and about how we should respond to it. And he deals it devastating blow.

    However, there is an incompleteness to Coates’ treatment of that topic in particular that, I believe, risks working against our ability to make sense of the present moment, and creates an opening for a series of other bad arguments to take hold.

    An argument circulating among some centrist pundits — one related to the “identity politics” claim that Coates demolished — holds that liberal Democrats have moved too far to the left on immigration and race. Intoxicated by their moral superiority and overconfidence that the culture is moving their way, liberal Dems have not reckoned with the latent desire of many Americans to organize solidarity around something other than a commitment to ideals of equality and inclusive liberal democracy. This helped create an opening for Trumpism to fill the void, goes this argument.

    There is a serious component to this claim. It is true that we should redouble our efforts to make the case for these ideals. It is also true that we still do not acknowledge the degree to which those ideals have lost out to inegalitarian, ascriptive, racially hierarchical ideologies throughout U.S. history, or the pull they still exert today. Indeed, part of Coates’ great achievement is to demonstrate with great persuasive power that the election of Trump emerged directly from those traditions.

    But the broad popular rejection of Trump’s presidency also matters. If we don’t accord it a place in the story, we risk conceding too much ground to those who want to blame Trump’s ascent on an alleged backlash to allegedly excessive moralizing in defense of minorities and on behalf of inclusive liberal democracy.
    Yes, Trump won, and that speaks for itself in all its barbarity. But here’s something else that’s also true. If Trump is our first white president, by virtue of his determined effort to erase the historical fact of the first black presidency and the advances it wrought, then a great swath of America is responding: Whose white president? Not mine...".

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.be25c67d040c

  22. #197
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Coates is a very butthurt man.

  23. #198
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Yeah. Puddle-deep rebuttal that.

    I bet you didn't even actually read - much less comprehend - his essay.

  24. #199
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Coates is a very butthurt man.
    Not only that he sprouts a load of shit. Typical Libhurt rewriting history.

  25. #200
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Posts
    10,945
    https://www.quora.com/I-am-white-Tha...-I-do-about-it

    I am white. That's all you know about me. Am I privileged based on that alone and assuming I am, should I feel guilt and what should I do about it?

    "Based on the fact that you’re white, certain things are statistically likely to be easier for you than for a person of color. “Statistically” is very important. It’s possible that you and an equally-qualified black person will apply for the same job and he’ll get it. If that’s the case, you may feel that the word “privilege” is odd. But when social-justice folks use the word, they’re talking about statistics.

    Let’s say you don’t get the job. If that’s the case, two things are true: (1) you didn’t get the job; (2) you were statistically more likely to get it.

    I’m not a big fan of the word “privilege,” because I think it’s confusing to people who haven’t taken certain Sociology classes or who don’t spend lots of time in certain left-wing circles. But in the end, it’s just a label.

    The people who are using it are referring to something very real and very damaging, even if it sounds odd—in more traditional, common usage—to tell an unemployed, destitute person that he’s “privileged.”

    Here’s an analogy: let’s say you and I both drive 100 miles down the freeway in separate cars. You’re sober.

    I’m drunk. It’s possible that I’ll arrive safely while you’ll get into a horrible accident, but, statistically, it’s more likely to be the other way around.

    If
    you—the sober one—make a mistake and wind up killing five people while I get home fine and go to bed—there will be something a bit odd about calling me a menace to society. But not if we’re talking about statistical likelihood.

    One more analogy: It’s stupid for me to spend my money on lottery tickets, by which I mean that I’m statistically unlikely to win. And that’s still true if I do win.

    I urge you to avoid getting hung up on labels. I believe we live in a world in which people of color are systematically treated unfairly much more often than white people are, even though white people are sometimes treated unfairly. We can use whatever words we want to refer to that. It doesn’t matter, as long as we all know what’s being discussed.

    If you disagree with that claim—that there’s a systematic bias against people of color—then that is worth discussing.

    Note: here are some scientific papers and popular-press articles that address specific “privilege” issues:



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •