Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,782

    Hua Hin Vintage Car Rally

    Hua Hin Vintage and Classic Car Rally Takes Place on 1 December 2010

    DirectRooms.com reveals that car enthusiasts should head to Hua Hin to witness a rare display of classic cars that will be paraded through the Thai town at the start of December.


    The Hua Hin Vintage Car Rally will feature some of the best kept and immaculately restored cars seen within Thailand and is a showcase of the finest in vintage vehicles.

    Previous years of the rally have seen more than 60 classic cars taking part in the rally which covers a total distance of 225km as the drivers take the leisurely route from Bangkok to Hua Hin. The emphasis is definitely on cruising rather than racing as the drivers show off their cars and parade the hard work that goes into restoring many of these classics.

    The event starts at The Sofitel Central Plaza in Bangkok and finishes at The Sofitel Central in Hua Hin on 1st December and people using hotels in Hua Hin can watch all of the cars as they drive around the Thai coastal city. The tour through the city will include a drive over to Klaikangwon Palace, past the railway station and back to the hotel again.

    On display will be such classics as the E-Type Jaguar, Mustangs, Mercedes, Fiats and Alfa Romeos as well as many other favourite models.

    Lek Boonlert, marketing head at DirectRooms.com commented: 'The rally is a chance for car fans to a see a unique collection of cars not usually found in Thailand. People heading to the city for the event should book accommodation early to ensure they donít miss out on the parade.'






  2. #2
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-06-2012 @ 03:24 PM
    Posts
    5,529
    Miss November Rain used to report on this event with some nice pics to boot.
    I wish she come back.

  3. #3
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,913
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    The Hua Hin Vintage Car Rally will feature some of the best kept and immaculately restored cars seen within Thailand and is a showcase of the finest in vintage vehicles.
    Complete bollocks. Some very nice classic cars but not a single vintage car shown in that video.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,404
    .... and a couple of horrors also, a customised vw beetle ragtop and a big ugly maroon thing.

    the same cars show every year, but its good to see these old cars actually being driven around. the white triumph mayflower was in everyday use around hua hin until a couple of years ago.

    ^
    i dont think the reporter is familiar with the definition of vintage as applied to cars (i think its pre 1930 in the uk or 1925 in the usa)

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,782
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    i dont think the reporter is familiar with the definition of vintage as applied to cars (i think its pre 1930 in the uk or 1925 in the usa)
    Sort of cars thetyim learnt to drive in then

  6. #6
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,913
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Sort of cars thetyim learnt to drive in then
    Certainly, but nothing to be sniffed at.
    I have driven the Delage that won the 1927 Grand Prix and it was frighteningly quick.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    .... and a couple of horrors also, a customised vw beetle ragtop and a big ugly maroon thing.

    the same cars show every year, but its good to see these old cars actually being driven around. the white triumph mayflower was in everyday use around hua hin until a couple of years ago.

    ^
    i dont think the reporter is familiar with the definition of vintage as applied to cars (i think its pre 1930 in the uk or 1925 in the usa)

    uk 1930 yep.

  8. #8
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,913
    UK rules

    Veteran is before 1919
    Vintage 1919 - 1930

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,404
    Autonostalgia| Catalogue

    classic cars for sale in thailand.

    some interesting cars there, most not what you could truly call classic though.

    the little honda beat or the austin healy 100-6 would be my choices out of that lot, possibly the volvo amazon too.

  10. #10
    Member phomsanuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    21-09-2012 @ 02:26 AM
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Hua Hin Vintage and Classic Car Rally Takes Place on 1 December 2010

    DirectRooms.com reveals that car enthusiasts should head to Hua Hin to witness a rare display of classic cars that will be paraded through the Thai town at the start of December.


    The Hua Hin Vintage Car Rally will feature some of the best kept and immaculately restored cars seen within Thailand and is a showcase of the finest in vintage vehicles.

    Previous years of the rally have seen more than 60 classic cars taking part in the rally which covers a total distance of 225km as the drivers take the leisurely route from Bangkok to Hua Hin. The emphasis is definitely on cruising rather than racing as the drivers show off their cars and parade the hard work that goes into restoring many of these classics.

    The event starts at The Sofitel Central Plaza in Bangkok and finishes at The Sofitel Central in Hua Hin on 1st December and people using hotels in Hua Hin can watch all of the cars as they drive around the Thai coastal city. The tour through the city will include a drive over to Klaikangwon Palace, past the railway station and back to the hotel again.

    On display will be such classics as the E-Type Jaguar, Mustangs, Mercedes, Fiats and Alfa Romeos as well as many other favourite models.

    Lek Boonlert, marketing head at DirectRooms.com commented: 'The rally is a chance for car fans to a see a unique collection of cars not usually found in Thailand. People heading to the city for the event should book accommodation early to ensure they donít miss out on the parade.'





    I had 3 MGTC's but this one looks a little different particularly the headlights, lovely little toys aren't they?

  11. #11
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,913
    Quote Originally Posted by phomsanuk
    I had 3 MGTC's but this one looks a little different particularly the headlights,
    The American spec models had smaller headlights

  12. #12
    Nostradamus
    Guest
    The Sofitel is a wonderful colonial style hotel that is well worth a visit in itself if one finds oneself in Hua Hin. Tea can be taken in the Museum Tea Room where you can overlook the topiary gardens which are quite spectacular. The hotel and in particular the tea room is featured in the film 'The Killing Fields' where it is meant to be Le Phnom Hotel in Phnom Penh during the fall of the city to the Khmer Rouge.

  13. #13
    Newbie LoongUdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    30-06-2013 @ 02:37 PM
    Location
    Ubon
    Posts
    16

    Really neat

    Love it. I didn't know they had vintage car rallies outside of BKK. Last year I was musing on whether there could ever be one setup in Ubon.

  14. #14
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,913
    ^
    Bangkok, HuaHin & Chiang Mai have regular meetings

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    04-03-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    97

    Rally

    Great Post,, thanks, Z one

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •