Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Beach Fishing

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    28-05-2012 @ 09:47 PM
    Posts
    10

    Beach Fishing

    Is there any beach fishing near or around Petchburi / Cha Am

    Do may Thai fish from the beach or are most the coast lines barren of fish ?

  2. #2
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    I have only ever seen one thai man beach casting.
    I tried it once down in Chumporn.
    Plenty of fish to be had.
    We were catching Pla Jeremet (I probably got the name a bit wrong)

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    boloa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    3,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    I have only ever seen one thai man beach casting.
    I tried it once down in Chumporn.
    Plenty of fish to be had.
    We were catching Pla Jeremet (I probably got the name a bit wrong)
    Pla Jeremet are a bit like Pla Pacu and are freshwater fish, a bit like a big Piranha.I have done quite a lot of beach fishing in Thailand and only ever caught small fish ( 6 inches ),like you would see in a tropical fish tank.To catch bigger fish at sea you must go out in a boat at night .When I lived in Koh Samui the local fisherman would let me know when the Barracuda were in and we would go out at night to catch them ,6 pm to 6 am and use live squid for bait.You can catch fish from the beach but try scaling your tackle right down to say 8 lbs line and a light ledger rod.Prawns and fish strips make good bait from the shore.

  4. #4
    RIP
    Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Location
    Rawai Phuket
    Posts
    6,010
    Early morning on a rising tide at Nai Harn - Phuket

    Light beach casting rod 10-12 lbs line

    No 6- 8 freshwater size hook

    On a trace - about 50cm long -make a few up at home before you go !

    Thread on anything 'fishy' - bits of prawn, squid, rock oysters wrapped around a bit of expanded polystyrene foam - bind it all up with elastic knicker thread so you have a sausage about the size of your middle finger with the hook sticking out of the bottom end .

    Clip it onto your swivel - with a 10gm weight above the swive.

    Bung it out past the surf

    1 - 1.5 kg pomfret for the BBQ

    An hour after daylight and you are wasting your time
    Have a beer and go home !


  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-02-2012 @ 04:10 PM
    Posts
    1,304
    Hey Happy

    Here in Knysna South africa you can catch a fish called 'Garret" only with live bait.

    Weigh around 3 to 10 kg,

    not caught one yet, just mastering catching bait fish with a circular throwing net

  6. #6
    RIP
    Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Location
    Rawai Phuket
    Posts
    6,010
    You wanna see me with a cast net

    Has reduced onlookers to heaps of hysterical bastards
    Been likened to a fly caught in a spiders web
    Fuckit - give a local 5 year old 20 baht and he gets me a bucket if live bait when I need it.

    Snip the tail fin off the bait - just the fin - not the tail - liphook it with a small circle hook - cast it out ( freeline ) directly to where the waves are breaking.
    Small barracuda and decent sized Long Toms( garfish) grab them after a minute or two !
    They both taste like shit so I put 'em back !!!

  7. #7
    RIP
    Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Location
    Rawai Phuket
    Posts
    6,010
    SHIT!
    You have stirred up the few brain cells that are still responsive

    Up until 4 years ago I wrote articles for a fishing magazine - South East Asia Fishing World - and did their 'Agony Aunt' section for beginners !

    Quite happy to do a TD fishing section if needed !!!

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    SHIT!
    You have stirred up the few brain cells that are still responsive

    Up until 4 years ago I wrote articles for a fishing magazine - South East Asia Fishing World - and did their 'Agony Aunt' section for beginners !

    Quite happy to do a TD fishing section if needed !!!
    I'm in favor of that!

  9. #9
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR2 View Post
    Hey Happy

    Here in Knysna South africa you can catch a fish called 'Garret" only with live bait.

    Weigh around 3 to 10 kg,

    not caught one yet, just mastering catching bait fish with a circular throwing net
    i used to live in knysna.
    get yourself a flyrod and make some HUGE poppers out of foam rubber and white marabou.
    closed cell foam from an old lifejacket is best, failing which a bit of an old flipflop sandal will do the job.
    get your ass off to the causeway behind leisure isle and wade out to the channel on an incoming tide, then cast over the channel into the shallows on the other side.
    strip line as fast as you possibly can and you can get yourself five or so garrick on a good afternoon. (in knysna they are called leervis; in natal they call them garrick)
    the locals will probably laugh when they first see you with the flyrod, but once they see you land one, the entire fukkn town will turn out to try their luck!
    just about as much fun as can possibly be had standing up!

    remember to catch-and -release!
    brrrzzzzt, brrrzzzt!
    beep!. ting, ting
    redirecting, please be patient..........:

    hello, insect!
    brrrzzzt, brrrzzzt..................

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    A fishing section here would be great.

    I did see a Thai bloke struggling with some huge fish off Jomtien beach a few years ago. He was in one of those big speed boats and was using what looked like a game fishing outfit. The boat was about 100 meters off the beach and the fight went on for about 20 minutes before he lost it.

    I have tried going out with one of the local fishermen in a small long-tail boat around Pattaya, but only caught tiddlers. It does appear that you need to go a long way out on a bigger boat to get any quality fish.

    However, Thailand does have some good freshwater sports fishing in their lakes and dams. And I dont mean those stocked fishing parks where you haul in giant catfish.
    I do intend to do a bit of chasing the "Snakehead" when I retire. They are delicious eating too!


  11. #11
    Gohills flip-flops wearer
    withnallstoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Location
    The Felcher Memorial Home.
    Posts
    14,249
    OP. Have you got access to dynamite?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-02-2012 @ 04:10 PM
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by tsicar
    i used to live in knysna. get yourself a flyrod and make some HUGE poppers out of foam rubber and white marabou. closed cell foam from an old lifejacket is best, failing which a bit of an old flipflop sandal will do the job. get your ass off to the causeway behind leisure isle and wade out to the channel on an incoming tide, then cast over the channel into the shallows on the other side. strip line as fast as you possibly can and you can get yourself five or so garrick on a good afternoon. (in knysna they are called leervis; in natal they call them garrick) the locals will probably laugh when they first see you with the flyrod, but once they see you land one, the entire fukkn town will turn out to try their luck! just about as much fun as can possibly be had standing up!
    Thanks Tsi

    I can see Leisure Island from my house.

    Will give your method a try,

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    28-05-2012 @ 09:47 PM
    Posts
    10
    Allthough not the beach amd hopeing to get some snakehead next time I go fishing at Kaeng Krachan had some nice Jungle Perch last time there.

  14. #14
    Hifaluten Member
    Wayne Kerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Fiji Islands
    Posts
    3,186
    Ang Sila area is the spot. Sea Bass/Barramundi are in abundance and alot of guys get down there. Not far from Patts. In winter the banded mackerel spawn off the back of Pattaya's beaches and are easily caught around the new moon periods.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    28-05-2012 @ 09:47 PM
    Posts
    10
    Fly fishing is what I mainly do in the UK, though have the gear for all types sea, fresh water and fly.

    Been hopeing next time can find somewhere for barramundi and hope to bring my fly rod for this.

  16. #16
    Hifaluten Member
    Wayne Kerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Fiji Islands
    Posts
    3,186
    The best barra lake is out Chachaengsao way, not far from Pattaya and you can catch them all day on fly for around 4000 baht

  17. #17
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda
    A fishing section here would be great.
    ............

  18. #18
    Hifaluten Member
    Wayne Kerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 10:23 PM
    Location
    Fiji Islands
    Posts
    3,186
    Been saying that for bloody years!

  19. #19
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,209
    We have a scuba diving sub forum. Why not a Fishing sub forum?

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Kerr View Post
    Ang Sila area is the spot. Sea Bass/Barramundi are in abundance and alot of guys get down there. Not far from Patts. In winter the banded mackerel spawn off the back of Pattaya's beaches and are easily caught around the new moon periods.
    Thats the kind of info we need here for the fishermen here.

    Its a shame it will be lost in amongst the many other threads with no specific fishing section here.

    I recall DD posting a thread about crabbing (in the Chao Praya ) delta some time back. Would be nice if all those threads and posts could be easily found in one section.

  21. #21
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,765
    How about it DD? A sports fishing section at TD,…in the Sports Room?

    It would attract more visitors/members.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    Only problem with a fishing section is that it will get swamped with pictures of blokes nursing big catfish caught in one or other fishing parks rather than true fishing reports. Sort of the fishing equivalent of a bloke proudly having his photo taken with a bargirl whore and thinking he is really suave.

  23. #23
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,209
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth
    A sports fishing section at TD,…in the Sports Room?
    I started a thread. Let's see if DD is in the mood to add it.

    http://teakdoor.com/troubleshooting-...thusiasts.html (Subforum for Fishing Enthusiasts?)

  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    31-12-2014 @ 07:06 PM
    Posts
    33

    Sports Room

    What a great title,
    Fishing & hunting all under the one roof, not for the boasting of your walking st, beach rd,bangkok trophy,s

    By the way, what sort of hunting is available over there??
    I am getting a bit too old for hunting wild pigs in Innisfail with a bowie knife

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by colinc1 View Post
    What a great title,
    Fishing & hunting all under the one roof, not for the boasting of your walking st, beach rd,bangkok trophy,s

    By the way, what sort of hunting is available over there??
    I am getting a bit too old for hunting wild pigs in Innisfail with a bowie knife
    The wild pigs in Thailand are now a protected species and so you will do time if you go out blasting them, unlike the feral bastards in Oz. The Thai native pig is an indigenous species BTW.

    There aint much to hunt in Thailand as they have killed off just about everything worth shooting and the remnants of whats left are protected in National Parks.

    These days the Thais are more happy shooting and stabbing each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •