Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    03-10-2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Posts
    11

    Looking to learn how to Dive in Koh Tao

    Going to Thailand in November and want badly to learn how to Dive!!! I have heard that there are some excellent diving instructors to be found. I want to know where the best place/area would be to go to dive in October- November....I was thinking/heard that Koh Toa is the best place to go. Secondly I would like to find a Canadian Instructor...Can anyone help me out and give me some adive. I also would love to hear any advice as to where a great place is to rent a beachside hut and snorkelling hotspots! Again thanks for taking the time to repsond!!!

  2. #2
    Member SomchaiDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    22-08-2008 @ 01:20 AM
    Posts
    102
    I'm a certified open diver but as of late I can only find the time to Muff Dive here in Thailand.

    Koh Tao has some good diving and you will easily find a dive shop there to let you blow bubbles.

  3. #3
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,684
    Hi again red dragon 88. Just go to koh tao and the rest will sort it's self out. Koh tao is another island i love going to but i've never done the diving although I've heard its some of the best diving in thailand.

    My best piece of advise about traveling in thailand is don't worry about anything. Just relax and there will always be someone else orgaising everything for you, especially if your on the tourist trail. (which it sounds like you are going to be)

    I'd recomend hiring a quad bike to see the island of koh tao. I did that last time and its was awsome. Much safer that a motorcycle especially when your tipsy.

  4. #4
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddragon88 View Post
    Going to Thailand in November and want badly to learn how to Dive!!! I have heard that there are some excellent diving instructors to be found. I want to know where the best place/area would be to go to dive in October- November....I was thinking/heard that Koh Toa is the best place to go. Secondly I would like to find a Canadian Instructor...Can anyone help me out and give me some adive. I also would love to hear any advice as to where a great place is to rent a beachside hut and snorkelling hotspots! Again thanks for taking the time to repsond!!!
    There are literally dozens of dive shops on Koh Tao and you will have no problem finding an Instructor - possibly even a Canadian, although you may have to search for that. Koh Tao is one of the major dive training sites in the world and has great beginner sites.

    If you are learning to dive you will have some class room study to do, a day in the pool plus two days diving - but, as they do some many people there they are well organized to get you through.

    One point is to make sure you leave at leat 18 hours between your last dive and any flight you have booked if you are flying out.

    for accomadation, many of the dive operators have either their own accommodation or an arrangement. booking a dive/room package maybe a good way to go. Most accom is simple beach hut style.

    Suggest a google search to see what comes up.

    PS - one last point - to avoid any dissapointments, you need to be fairly healthy and be able to swim. There are several things that would prevent you from diving (heart surgery, asthma etc) so if you have any health concerns, you may be better off checking that out first.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    03-10-2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Posts
    11
    Thanks alot everyone!! in terms of health..I am 28, have zero medical conditions and grew up on a lake..so swimming is not an issue!

  6. #6
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddragon88 View Post
    Thanks alot everyone!! in terms of health..I am 28, have zero medical conditions and grew up on a lake..so swimming is not an issue!
    Have fun. Koh Tao is a great place to learn to dive.

  7. #7
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,684
    Yep enjoy dude. Last time I went to koh tao i just did snorkling minus the snorkle. I'll never get the hang of that breathing tube. But it was amazing. It was a whole different world down there, colours, fish, beautiful rocks and reefs. I'll got back to koh tao for sure on my next break.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Posts
    14,901
    Not the best time of year as the monsoon is still going on on that side.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    03-10-2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Posts
    11
    Yeah have really been looking into this whole monsoon thing...looks like we are going to have to stay on the west side to avoid it!!! Dammitt!!!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fresh Prince View Post
    Yep enjoy dude. Last time I went to koh tao i just did snorkling minus the snorkle. I'll never get the hang of that breathing tube. But it was amazing. It was a whole different world down there, colours, fish, beautiful rocks and reefs. I'll got back to koh tao for sure on my next break.

    where was the best snorkelling FP?

  11. #11
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,223
    Send 'walrus' a PM.

  12. #12
    Newbie stevenl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    20-01-2014 @ 02:18 PM
    Location
    Rawai and Kata, Phuket
    Posts
    12
    The West side also has the best diving, year round, so nothing wrong with going there.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    1,358
    [quote=nidhogg;718896]
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddragon88 View Post

    PS - one last point - to avoid any dissapointments, you need to be fairly healthy and be able to swim. There are several things that would prevent you from diving (heart surgery, asthma etc) so if you have any health concerns, you may be better off checking that out first.
    Being able to swim, wouldn't that be a given?

    --

    I'm also wandering about excellent places to dive on Koh Tao. I'll be going mid Feb when hopefully the weather is ideal for diving. There are too many dive shops to choose from. Any recommendations on places to dive/sleep?

  14. #14
    or TizYou?
    TizMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
    Posts
    4,897
    Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound
    Being able to swim, wouldn't that be a given?
    You would think so, wouldn't you. I've seen divers that can't swim.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •