Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 84

Thread: Shark Trouble

  1. #51
    Railway enthusiast
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,066
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them

  2. #52
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Posts
    24,788
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post

    Learn to dive Terry.

    From my log book 18feb00
    Al Ulm Red Sea 70 west of Amoq depth 64.8m total time 48 minutes
    standard aluminium tank

    Urm, I do know how to dive hence I'm a little bit careful about cracking down to depth and only ever hit 45 meters on compressed air once in all my years of diving.

    After 30 Meters Nitrogen narcosis can set in and it affects people in different ways, after 40 meters one is looking at oxygen toxicity which can be very serious and to dive to 60 meters without using mixed gas is just plain stupid and dangerous.

    Regards your figures up top and total dive time. To hit 64.8 metres and then claim to have an average depth of 20 metres for a total of 48 minutes just don't work out.

    Do a bounce dive to 64 meters and then straight up above 10 meters for a total dive time of 48 minutes would work.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  3. #53
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them
    Those are cool. Are there a lot of them? They were badly over hunted at one point for their livers.

  4. #54
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by CTO View Post
    Been nibbled on by a shark, after going sear fishing of Foster Tuncurry NSW.

    I have nithing but respect for these amazingly beautiful creatures,

    I used to like Ron and Valerie Taylor but as I started to dive more, I had pretty much loathing for the misinformation they spread, I do think in fairness years later they to said they had made a mistake killing so many sharks.

    Where do you find bears and lions at the same place?
    Gir Forest in India?

  5. #55
    Railway enthusiast
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,066
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them
    Those are cool. Are there a lot of them? They were badly over hunted at one point for their livers.
    This time of year they seem to hang about in groups, and their dorsal fins can initially cause a bit of a scare. There are some sharks with teeth in Cornwall but it's very rare and their size doesn't exactly get the pulses racing.

    Dolphins are usually fun as well down here, they came inshore and got playful with some surfers last year near Newquay and Portreath.

    Of course seals are abundant, they play on their 'cuteness' to get you to feed them fish or hang around fishing boats whilst they tread water looking up at you with their cute faces and whiskers

  6. #56
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them
    Those are cool. Are there a lot of them? They were badly over hunted at one point for their livers.
    This time of year they seem to hang about in groups, and their dorsal fins can initially cause a bit of a scare. There are some sharks with teeth in Cornwall but it's very rare and their size doesn't exactly get the pulses racing.

    Dolphins are usually fun as well down here, they came inshore and got playful with some surfers last year near Newquay and Portreath.

    Of course seals are abundant, they play on their 'cuteness' to get you to feed them fish or hang around fishing boats whilst they tread water looking up at you with their cute faces and whiskers
    Whale sharks sometimes seem curious about divers- the first time I saw one it was swimming away, then came about and swam up to our group of four divers and lingered. I wonder if basking sharks are similar- swimming with them would interesting.
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

  7. #57
    Thailand Expat Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    13,429
    I had a big old Barracuda bump into me in the Similan Islands. Rolled over to see a hoard of Jap tourists taking pics. I'm pretty sure he was the same fish I saw the previous year. The only sharks you see are the bottom feeding leopard shark.

  8. #58
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Sharks don't come into the bar where I'm drinking so I don't go in the water.

    Simple really.
    So long as you keep out of their bar I guess you're OK.


  9. #59
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    15,922
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them
    Somehow, the fact that British sharks are toothless doesn't shock me.

  10. #60
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    We got sharks in Cornwall, basking sharks that are toothless and feed on plankton. When they appear near beaches people actually jump in to swim with them
    Somehow, the fact that British sharks are toothless doesn't shock me.
    Appropriate and twisted levity, Davis!

  11. #61
    or TizYou?
    TizMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
    Posts
    4,820
    what happened to this shark?


  12. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by prawnograph View Post
    Sharks kill sharks too


    Researchers with the University of Delaware’s Ocean Exploration – Remote Sensing – Biogeography Group posted this photo of a shark eating a shark in the Delaware Bay on July 21, 2013.

    NBC News shared a photo taken recently in Delaware Bay by a research team from the University of Delaware. They were rounding up tiger sharks, which they had previously tagged with remote trackers, when a small three-foot shark called a smooth dogfish snapped up their bait... and suddenly the circle of life spun a whole lot faster, as a female tiger shark – over three times the little guy's size, as you can see above – jumped up and swallowed the first shark. The tiger was released after her tags were checked, but the little guy wasn't so lucky.
    I often wondered how PETA (an extremist animal-rights group), who having a (stupid) saying of "A dog is a dog, is a cat is a cat, is a boy...etc", or something to that effect in order to state that all animals have the same rights as people, and that killing a dog is no different than killing a boy; so if that is true, then should (in this case) the big shark be arrested and tried for murder?

    According to PETA's stupid logic, the smaller shark was "murdered" by the larger shark. Just points out, the stupidity of their logic (although I am all for, hot looking women getting naked for animal rights!).

    RickThai

  13. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    @ Sharks kill this many people a year, people kill this many sharks an hour. (too long to quote)

    Good, see how well it's working, we are clearly winning.

    Difficult to think of a more horrible way to die. I read a book called "In Harms Way" about 10 years back, it was the story of the USS Indianapolis, difficult to read with tears in your eyes. Worth the read though.
    In the animal kingdom there are a lot of "horrible" ways to die. Being stalked by any predatory animal (lion, leopard, bear, crocodile,etc) and having a limited way to protect yourself can make for an extremely horrible experience.

    RickThai

  14. #64
    Thailand Expat
    can123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    31-08-2017 @ 01:36 AM
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai
    In the animal kingdom there are a lot of "horrible" ways to die. Being stalked by any predatory animal (lion, leopard, bear, crocodile,etc) and having a limited way to protect yourself can make for an extremely horrible experience.
    Thanks for the advice. I will certainly try to be more careful in future.

  15. #65
    Genteel member
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,375
    How do seals tread water?

  16. #66
    RUSH HER TODAY david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    On Peachment
    Posts
    9,587

    Once ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    I recently saw two different videos of people being attacked by bull sharks. Bull sharks seem to occasionally, and deliberately, attack people as a food source.

    Depends if they are peckish I guess



    I saw a guy in Prachup Khiri Khan a couple of months ago, who had what appeared to be a big chunk of his calf missing. Based upon the teeth marks, I assumed it was a shark (too wide a bite to be a python or a mammal bite).

    There are some pretty dangerous trains in these parts,and bikes

    I was wondering just how frequently people who swim, snorkel, or dive in Thailand get attacked?
    Once,maybe twice for slow learners

    Having spent a lifetime as a hunter in areas that contain dangerous game (bears, lion, etc), I know that more times than not, a dangerous animal sneaks in close and watches, apparently trying to decide whether to attack or not, before slinking off.

    So you've met the wife

    People who haven't learned to read tracks and other sign, are totally oblivious to how close and how often they have been stalked, only to have the animal to break it off.

    I suspect the same thing happens many times with sharks, with only a tiny few actually resulting in attacks.

    What has been the experience and opinions of shark encounters with the TD divers?

    RickThai
    There are lots in Hua Hin mainly in time share business

    Interesting shark piece in tday's Indie
    http://http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/have-researchers-bitten-off-more-than-they-can-chew-in-trying-to-uncover-the-secrets-of-the-great-white-shark-8782588.html
    Last edited by david44; 24-08-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: uselessness

  17. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by patsycat View Post
    How do seals tread water?
    They have so much fat, that they pretty much float.

    RickThai

  18. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by david44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    I recently saw two different videos of people being attacked by bull sharks. Bull sharks seem to occasionally, and deliberately, attack people as a food source.

    Depends if they are peckish I guess



    I saw a guy in Prachup Khiri Khan a couple of months ago, who had what appeared to be a big chunk of his calf missing. Based upon the teeth marks, I assumed it was a shark (too wide a bite to be a python or a mammal bite).

    There are some pretty dangerous trains in these parts,and bikes

    I was wondering just how frequently people who swim, snorkel, or dive in Thailand get attacked?
    Once,maybe twice for slow learners

    Having spent a lifetime as a hunter in areas that contain dangerous game (bears, lion, etc), I know that more times than not, a dangerous animal sneaks in close and watches, apparently trying to decide whether to attack or not, before slinking off.

    So you've met the wife

    People who haven't learned to read tracks and other sign, are totally oblivious to how close and how often they have been stalked, only to have the animal to break it off.

    I suspect the same thing happens many times with sharks, with only a tiny few actually resulting in attacks.

    What has been the experience and opinions of shark encounters with the TD divers?

    RickThai
    There are lots in Hua Hin mainly in time share business

    Interesting shark piece in tday's Indie
    http://http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/have-researchers-bitten-off-more-than-they-can-chew-in-trying-to-uncover-the-secrets-of-the-great-white-shark-8782588.html
    That's what is so great about this planet, no matter how much people have learned about the animal kingdom, we are always learning new things.

    I have always thought it cool, how flies are so quick to hide, when you bring out a flyswatter. It shares, with many animals (I think) the instinct to know when you are a threat and when you are not.

    RickThai

  19. #69
    Special member
    jizzybloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,868
    Quote Originally Posted by TizMe View Post
    what happened to this shark?


    Good question it's all gone very quiet......

  20. #70
    Thailand Expat
    Lostandfound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    20-09-2017 @ 08:33 PM
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post

    Learn to dive Terry.

    From my log book 18feb00
    Al Ulm Red Sea 70 west of Amoq depth 64.8m total time 48 minutes
    standard aluminium tank

    Urm, I do know how to dive hence I'm a little bit careful about cracking down to depth and only ever hit 45 meters on compressed air once in all my years of diving.

    After 30 Meters Nitrogen narcosis can set in and it affects people in different ways, after 40 meters one is looking at oxygen toxicity which can be very serious and to dive to 60 meters without using mixed gas is just plain stupid and dangerous.

    Regards your figures up top and total dive time. To hit 64.8 metres and then claim to have an average depth of 20 metres for a total of 48 minutes just don't work out.

    Do a bounce dive to 64 meters and then straight up above 10 meters for a total dive time of 48 minutes would work.
    Narcosis affects everyone differently. Some people are OK at 60M others get wobbly at 30M. I have a theory that regular stoners (of the herbal variety) are more accustomed to being off their heads and are more tolerant. Just a theory.

    Short exposures to 1.6B partial pressure of O2 are OK - so 70M is the absolute limit. Tec divers regularly decompress with mixtures of 1.4B pp O2 - an equivalent air depth of 60M.

    General fitness and hydration is a factor too. I ignored that at my peril - diving to 72M off Phuket (mixed gas) after a night of Soi Bangla hookers, ganja and an awful lot to drink.

    Lesson learned - don't go diving when you are still half pissed, stoned and not slept for 24 hours. Despite a v "safe" dive profile (about 17 mins bottom time/ 140 min deco), I ended up in Patong chamber with a very expensive bill and residual tissue damage in an elbow joint that means sucking on O2 back on the boat these days for an hour or so after deco to make it go away after any deco diving .

    As for average dept 20m for 40 mins: Assume 17l/ min at 3B = 2040 l. Assuming a 15L tank at 200B = 3000l. 2400 if 12 L tank. So he'd surface with circa 64 B or 30B

    That said - If he's a heavy breather with a 12L tank he's a very silly boy

  21. #71
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,234
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Sharks indeed are speedy fuckers. Never see them until they're almost on you, especially in murky water.
    I remember on dive boats in the red sea, coming back around dusk, dolphins would sometimes come close to the boats and folks would want to jump in to swim with them. The Egyptians would point out the large shadows behind and deeper than the dolphins and say 'Oceanic Whitetips' - that kept the people out of the water...
    I wonder if the Oceanic's were using the dolphins as bait?

    Great story.

    RickThai
    I think that's pretty much what they do; the dolphins' sonar knocks the senses out for many fish then the sharks find it easier to pick up the scraps...

    BTW, to above - people can and do go down to whatever depths they like on air (some go to 100m...), but that doesn't say they will be coming back... Many divers who push the limits every dive, perhaps it becomes intoxicating, end up dead. You may have no sign of nitrogen narcosis or oxygen pressurization problems at one depth on one day under certain conditions, may be a very different story on another day... I never bounced down to any depths... I did TDI mixed gas and deep diving courses, but took care. Many divers are (w)reckless, imo...
    How do I post these pictures???

  22. #72
    Thailand Expat
    Lostandfound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    20-09-2017 @ 08:33 PM
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    BTW, to above - people can and do go down to whatever depths they like on air (some go to 100m...), but that doesn't say they will be coming back... Many divers who push the limits every dive, perhaps it becomes intoxicating, end up dead. You may have no sign of nitrogen narcosis or oxygen pressurization problems at one depth on one day under certain conditions, may be a very different story on another day... I never bounced down to any depths... I did TDI mixed gas and deep diving courses, but took care. Many divers are (w)reckless, imo...
    Agree with BB.

    My downfall was the hooker that went gaga after a spliff (presumably having popped something a bit stronger earlier in the eevening), necessitating me sitting awake to babysit to ensure there wouldn't be a scene at the hotel or police and me getting the blame!

    BTW There are some good wrecks off Phuket - we found a new one at 92 M after hunting around GPS locations where fisherman had lost nets a few years back - a 130m long E German freighter. Brought up some mail bags from the hold, they were all technical manuals, handwritten in Chinese in pencil - V STRANGE. The wreck is still giving off a very heavy gas. No idea what it is. It took a while to identify, but the Lloyds report states it was lost in heavy weather - seems a bloody big ship to go down like that.....

    It starts getting v expensive to explore. Helium is a factor, cost of boat, support diver to lay stage tanks and standby etc.

    No sharks either :-(

  23. #73
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,234
    Interesting stuff L&F - rather you than me! A couple of years ago, very sadly, a diver from the Silpakorn underwater archaeology team died. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but it's always dangerous work and you need to take every precaution.

  24. #74
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    30-08-2013 @ 05:05 PM
    Posts
    6
    Lostandfound it was a good dive with plenty of deep diving experience plus medical support on the boat. All master divers or instructors. A mix of BSAC and a few other codes. Spare tanks were set up if needed at deco stops. At the time of that dive we were regularly diving 45 - 50 metres.

    Never touched weed in my life so that rules that theory out. I know what you mean about guys getting narc'd at shallow depths. We had a pilot who got it bad at 30 metres.

  25. #75
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,234
    I would mention, as BSAC was talked about briefly above, that diver skills are very diverse. Diving in Thailand, Malaysia or even most parts of the Red Sea, Australia, etc, is very different from the UK. I have done 99% of my diving in easy shallow areas such as Thailand or Egypt (both have sharks; Egypt has many many more...), and it's easy to become complacent. I did some night diving in a frozen lake in Birmingham, and some drift/wreck diving in Portland, and it's very much more challenging and complex - didn't see any sharks though...

    I went to an island off Brisbane to do some diving (never did in the end), that had very poor visibility, ragged tooth sharks, tigers, the flat buggers on the bottom (wobbledongs or something???), close to a continental shelf drop-off, and by the traditional whaling stations and whale migration routes (lots of big sharks...). That's challenging diving! I was offered a job at a dive centre there, but I just didn't have the experience or skill development to do it... On my first day on the island, one diver had a heart attack and had to be airlifted to the mainland; the story goes, down to about 20m, half metre visibility, then came face to face with a 4m ragged tooth, out of the blue/dark... a common occurrence at that dive site, so if you like sharks!


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •