Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Balls to Monty
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Posts
    11,761

    Quite large explosion/fire in Patong

    Quite scary, bright and large explosion across the road from my hotel in Patong today. Nearly blew the windows in it felt like.



    Large fireball.



    Burned for 15 minutes like this.



    Still waiting for fire brigade so hotel staff decide to tackle it with little red fire extinguishers.



    Lot of smoke once it burned down a bit.



    Fire brigade arrives to check everything is in order.



    Bike parked outside the hotel. Should polish out

  2. #2
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,356
    gas cylinder?

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Hope no tuk-tuks were damaged.

  5. #5
    Member KAPPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    20-02-2013 @ 01:06 PM
    Posts
    454
    Looper I htink you had an exclusive, if only you'd posted earlier. hIC

  6. #6
    Member KAPPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    20-02-2013 @ 01:06 PM
    Posts
    454
    Would make a god av.


  7. #7
    My kind of town
    chitown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,520
    maybe JJ can round up some farangs to exort money to pay for the damage

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776

    Patong Woman Injured as 'We Warned You' Blast Sparks Blaze

    Patong Woman Injured as 'We Warned You' Blast Sparks Blaze


    PHUKET: Patong residents are angry because they believe a tramsformer explosion that injured one woman and severely damaged a business and vehicles could have been avoided.

    The blast came about 4.20pm yesterday at Bell Air Property, in Pang Mueng Sai Kro. behind Jungceylon.


    It came five hours after an electricity spoesperson had reassured anxious residents that there was nothing to be concerned about.

    It had taken the residents three telephone calls to glean a response.

    Injured in yesterday's blast with burns to both arms was Em Suchodayon, 45, owner of a noodle stall. Her stall was destroyed.

    Yuwanada Suktep, 22, had her Toyota Vios badly damaged and a laundry shop owned by Saowanee Wanauchit, 45, was ravaged by the blaze. Three motorcycles were burned.

    A spokesperson for the electricity supply utility said that the transformer belonged to Bell Air so the explosion was their problem.

    He said his boss had moved from Patong to another area yesterday so he could not respond to Phuketwan's questions.

    A firetruck from Patong took 15 minutes to put out the blaze.

    Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban said that people quite often overloaded transformers to the point where they could not cope.


  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban said that people quite often overloaded transformers to the point where they could not cope.
    What a strange thing to say, people will use whatever electricity they need, its the electricity boards job to supply it, preferably safely.

  10. #10
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Posts
    28,174
    There was a huge explosion somewhere in our area today and I expect it was a transformer as well.

    Foked if I know who these councils employ to do their electrical work.

    Can't be an electrician.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban said that people quite often overloaded transformers to the point where they could not cope.
    What a strange thing to say, people will use whatever electricity they need, its the electricity boards job to supply it, preferably safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    A spokesperson for the electricity supply utility said that the transformer belonged to Bell Air so the explosion was their problem.
    If the customer gets a high voltage access and uses his own transformer, the customer is responsible. In that case the Hotel would be responsible if they overload their transformer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •