Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    8,969
    ^Yep. General Rancour and his scrambled-egg beclad buddies are getting a bit miffed at being snickered about at international events, or in newspapers they can't intimidate. Got to expect a reaction.

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat
    Cold Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Alliance HQ
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Watch As Demolition of Pattaya Building Goes Horribly Wrong (Video)


    Watch As Demolition of Pattaya Building Goes Horribly Wrong (Video)
    Oops.

    Is that a good online newspaper, Prag?

  3. #28
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    14-05-2017 @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    1,031
    Now that property values are sky rocketing -not making any more beach front land- enforce the law and jail, shake down, a few enemies.

    Beach front high rise apartments, packed with main land Chinese

    Move the naughty stuff to Soi Buakao- or beyond. The dark side could be a free for all, Wind Mill Bar business model zone.

    Gee, Banglamung Police District would be a choice assignment

    Sukumvitt Road could be the demarcation line: family friendly on the right side; Rest & Recreation on the left.

    Hell Yes!

  4. #29
    Member TuskegeeBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 04:34 AM
    Posts
    339
    Rest assured, there will be "pimps_&_whores" everywhere in the Land of Smiles, a thousand years after the current Pattaya Puritans have been "laid" to rest. Guaranteed!
    Last edited by TuskegeeBen; 16-03-2017 at 07:51 PM.

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    I would agree it's all not going anywhere. All this is posturing to give the illusion that the darker side of Pattaya will be eliminated. The only thing that will change is that many bars will get a face lift, some will change hands which has gone on forever, and the price of drinks will go up.

    Has anything really changed in Thailand to do away with the oldest profession in the world? Not that I can see during the thirty-two odd years I have been coming to this country. After living here for eleven years, I have learned one thing for sure and that is nothing ever really "changes."

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 01:22 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    The rents on Walking St are soaring so quickly i reckon you are going to be left with a lot of empty spaces anyway so bringing in the bulldozers is probably the best option.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 08:15 AM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,790
    I hear there are no more licenses being issued for the wet side of Wanking St

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 01:22 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    I laugh when i hear Walking Street getting described as notorious or infamous. Its probably the most sane street in Pattaya. Packed with Korean tourists and police the only folk who go there to cause trouble are the ones who have read that it is notorious. Its tourist trap central and one where no self respecting monger would be seen dead in.

  9. #34
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Posts
    26,326
    It must be 15 years since I first heard about the demolishing of Walking Street.

    That's about the same time they built the traffic flyover at the south end so the trucks could bring in all the materials to reclaim land along the foreshore.

    A lot of people will be upset as they recently paid millions to buy existing establishments.

    Kurgen you know one lady who made a squillion when she sold her restaurant.

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    2,840
    ^Time flies, I reckon the bridge was built over 20 years ago? I moved to Pattaya in 1997 and I'm sure it was already there, remember thinking why, as there was never any traffic on it. Hard to go back and check facts, guess what you get if you try to search "South Pattaya bridge"!

  11. #36
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Posts
    26,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Airportwo
    Time flies, I reckon the bridge was built over 20 years ago?
    Yep, you are probably right and as my daughter is almost 15 I now realize it was built 20 years ago.

    There were two main players who went to Bangkok regularly to fight the demolishing, an elder Thai Lady and an Indian Sihk.

    My mate owned the Lobster Pot Restaurant and he always thought it was a lot of crap until they built that flyover.

    I actually hope they clean the place up, get rid of the bars but you just watch tourism plummet.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    toslti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Location
    Wongamat, Pattaya
    Posts
    1,584
    I went under the flyover towards Pratumnak this morning and all the old boat hulks are gone and the floor area has been painted with what one can only call motorcycle parking bays.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 01:22 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    Anyone know what the story is with the half built condo building beside the flyover. Its been like that for a few years now?

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Posts
    11,297
    It's a testament to the real power in Thailand.

  15. #40
    Member tamadah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    24-06-2017 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    Nakhon Nowhere
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    Anyone know what the story is with the half built condo building beside the flyover. Its been like that for a few years now?
    It's going to be that for a few years more as well. Although the original building permit that was issued in 2008 has been subsequently deemed to be illegal, they are now pondering exactly what bit of it was illegal, It revolves around the amount of building frontage on a narrow road adjacent to the property, ie. it is too big (but we knew that already).

    Of course nobody in the current administration is ever going to point a finger and name names of whoever committed the 2008 malfeasance in office. That's just not done around here.

    In the meantime, I understand the developers have entered into some legal procedure that allows them to fiscally restructure while not having any obligations to either continue with the construction, tear it down or surrender it. Hence their website proclaiming business as usual and some munters saying it is worth the risk.

    Total limbo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stick with me doll and you'll wear diamonds.

  16. #41
    Member tamadah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    24-06-2017 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    Nakhon Nowhere
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by toslti View Post
    I went under the flyover towards Pratumnak this morning and all the old boat hulks are gone and the floor area has been painted with what one can only call motorcycle parking bays.
    Cleared for the Royal Thai navy International Regatta some time later this year.

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 01:22 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by tamadah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    Anyone know what the story is with the half built condo building beside the flyover. Its been like that for a few years now?
    It's going to be that for a few years more as well. Although the original building permit that was issued in 2008 has been subsequently deemed to be illegal, they are now pondering exactly what bit of it was illegal, It revolves around the amount of building frontage on a narrow road adjacent to the property, ie. it is too big (but we knew that already).

    Of course nobody in the current administration is ever going to point a finger and name names of whoever committed the 2008 malfeasance in office. That's just not done around here.

    In the meantime, I understand the developers have entered into some legal procedure that allows them to fiscally restructure while not having any obligations to either continue with the construction, tear it down or surrender it. Hence their website proclaiming business as usual and some munters saying it is worth the risk.

    Total limbo.
    I wonder how many farangs had paid up front for a condo?

  18. #43
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Posts
    44,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Only then will Pattaya be halfway rid of the scourge of prostitution and the mafiosi that raveningly gnaws away at the City's underbelly spawning its vile corruption and moral turpitude.
    Does SA remind anyone else of "Victorian Dad"?



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •