Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7

    Route 331 to Pattaya, best crossroad?

    I'm riding my motorcycle from Nakhon Ratchasima area down to Pattaya. I did it before and am fine until I get down Pattaya way. What's the best crossroad to take. It's easy to get lost down there and then any time saved is lost looking for roads going towards Pattaya. Any suggestions from other motorcycle drivers?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,082
    Where exactly in Pattaya are you going. North/south that makes a difference.

    Have you planned the trip using google maps? That will print out the distances between junctions so use can use your odometer and you can also look on street view ( drag the little yellow man over the spot you need) to get an actual picture of the junctions.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,163
    I use the 3240, about 10 km before you hit the 36. It saves you doing a big U turn on reaching the 36. It also saves about 10-15kms on the journey.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7
    I used 3240 the first time and got a bit lost but did finally arrive. I could give it a try again. When I came to a big lake I turned left and I think maybe I should have turned right. I'll give it a shot again.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7
    I always use google maps but when you get to the details in this area, around Burapa, the best route appears to be the Chonburi-Pattaya highway and I don't thing motorbikes are supposed to be on that section of road. That's the problem. 331 to the Chonburi-Pattaya highway is easy but what then if you're not allowed on the highway? Google doesn't offer that information.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    22-04-2019 @ 12:55 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,611
    Mate if you are prone to getting lost, you really are better off simply turning right onto the 36, and then left down route 7 for 3 minutes until you get to Sukhumvit. A shit load quicker than any of the other routes. I go on that road along with a thousand other people each day for that stretch on the bike so no problem at all.

    The 3240 is easy enough, and there is now a bir 7/11 at the end of it. When you reach that, you turn left, around the lake until you meet a T junction with another 7/11, turn right, and stick on that road all the way to Sukhumvit. It is 10 minutes longer on a good day this route and spits out at near enough the same place on Sukhumvit.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    I use the 3240, about 10 km before you hit the 36. It saves you doing a big U turn on reaching the 36. It also saves about 10-15kms on the journey.
    Thanks for the reply. I think this is the best route and I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Mate if you are prone to getting lost, you really are better off simply turning right onto the 36, and then left down route 7 for 3 minutes until you get to Sukhumvit. A shit load quicker than any of the other routes. I go on that road along with a thousand other people each day for that stretch on the bike so no problem at all.

    The 3240 is easy enough, and there is now a bir 7/11 at the end of it. When you reach that, you turn left, around the lake until you meet a T junction with another 7/11, turn right, and stick on that road all the way to Sukhumvit. It is 10 minutes longer on a good day this route and spits out at near enough the same place on Sukhumvit.
    Thanks for the info. I think I can handle the 3240 route now but if 36 is faster no problem. I thought route 7 was reserved for cars, no motorbikes allowed, but I don't live there so I'm not in the information loop. That was the way it was 9 years ago, like you described, when I lived there but times do sometime change. I'm planning a trip to Bangkok as well and again, I'm facing the same issue - motorbikes not allowed on tollways. It just means doing some homework before starting the trip. Thanks for your assistance.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,187
    Cross over to 36 at Khao Mai Gao junction. Cross the overpass over 36 and make a quick U-turn and then head back north on 36 to the junction with 7. It will take you right into Pattaya Nua. Or if you want a more scenic route just keep going on the overpass and that road joins with Siam Country Club Road into town.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    13-09-2015 @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    I live in Phimai with my wife.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Cross over to 36 at Khao Mai Gao junction. Cross the overpass over 36 and make a quick U-turn and then head back north on 36 to the junction with 7. It will take you right into Pattaya Nua. Or if you want a more scenic route just keep going on the overpass and that road joins with Siam Country Club Road into town.
    Thanks, I'm leading the rest of the family and this looks like the best route. Thanks again.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,163
    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I used 3240 the first time and got a bit lost but did finally arrive. I could give it a try again. When I came to a big lake I turned left and I think maybe I should have turned right.
    Yes it's a turn right at the lake. The 3240 is the shortest route. Getting onto the 36 south of the 3240 junction one has to drive towards Rayong for a few K's before being able to U-turn. Good luck with your journey.

    Edit. You don't go as far as the lake now. Once you go over the 36 on the 3240 you turn right and join on the 36 for 1km before joining the Chonburi- Pattaya Hwy.
    Last edited by Pragmatic; 05-08-2015 at 07:37 PM.

  12. #12
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Posts
    28,173
    Put your beer googles on and follow the seafood smell.

    Just don't end up in Soi 6!

    The above suggestions should get you to your destination.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    18-05-2019 @ 01:47 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810
    Unless you're a poof, then just follow the smell of hot dogs.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    15-10-2017 @ 12:26 PM
    Posts
    9
    Not sure when you are travelling, but the 331 south of the 344 junction has loads of roadworks and dodgy surfaces.
    Be careful if you's on a bike

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamesbank View Post
    Not sure when you are travelling, but the 331 south of the 344 junction has loads of roadworks and dodgy surfaces.
    Be careful if you's on a bike
    The road is horrible from Ban Mi Khaeo all the way to the 304 - 331 junction. Quite a bit of road resurfacing going on with lane closures.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •