Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 123

Thread: We are gone!

  1. #76
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    30-10-2017 @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble
    The Mrs is winning the war of who uses the computer!
    She's doing a fine job. Great set of photos. We are all a bit concerned about the skipper though.....she may need to assume command of the ship if he can't get his act together soon....

    I'm feeling a bit nostalgic sitting here in blistering heat and humidity with my underwear sticking to me testicles......longing for a bit of that wild coast after seeing your pics.....
    I blame the Americans......and Thaksin.

  2. #77
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    28-02-2015 @ 12:24 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    slack crew , get them fenders in ...........................
    555 yup do listen to "MM" MID..god forbid that anyone should be so slack as to deploy fenders or leave them down approaching or leaving a dock! GEESH!
    Personally I think on a boat that's loaded and limited quarters best to leave them overboard rather then have them cluttering the deck as a trip hazard, even secured to the railing on board can be an obstacle.
    Last edited by FloridaBorn; 20-04-2014 at 11:31 PM.

  3. #78
    Thailand Expat
    Mathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2017 @ 03:23 AM
    Location
    The Red Rose County
    Posts
    2,089
    Enjoy every moment, keep safe, keep in touch and don't let the Sea-Gulls pinch your chips!

  4. #79
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    slack crew , get them fenders in ...........................
    555 yup do listen to "MM" MID..god forbid that anyone should be so slack as to deploy fenders or leave them down approaching or leaving a dock! GEESH!
    Personally I think on a boat that's loaded and limited quarters best to leave them overboard rather then have them cluttering the deck as a trip hazard, even secured to the railing on board can be an obstacle.
    agree mate..my brick shit house of a 42' had so much storage I lost stuff but usually stored fenders clove-hitched to mast granny rails. If I had a smaller vessel would definitely consider the overpriced oblong flatish sealed cell foam fenders which can double as seats and pillows etc.
    one thing I could/would recommend/condone on deck is 6+ 20l+ containers for diesel and water..securely lashed to lifelines/stanchions of course...or?
    Last edited by crepitas; 21-04-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add

  5. #80
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    slack crew , get them fenders in ...........................
    555 yup do listen to "MM" MID..god forbid that anyone should be so slack as to deploy fenders or leave them down approaching or leaving a dock! GEESH!
    Personally I think on a boat that's loaded and limited quarters best to leave them overboard rather then have them cluttering the deck as a trip hazard, even secured to the railing on board can be an obstacle.
    agree mate..my brick shit house of a 42' had so much storage I lost stuff but usually stored fenders clove-hitched to mast granny rails. If I had a smaller vessel would definitely consider the overpriced oblong flatish sealed cell foam fenders which can double as seats and pillows etc.
    one thing I could/would recommend/condone on deck is 6+ 20l+ containers for diesel and water..securely lashed to lifelines/stanchions of course...or?
    Perhaps an additional full propane tank too? Not pretty but who gives a shit mid pacific or?

  6. #81
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    slack crew , get them fenders in ...........................
    555 yup do listen to "MM" MID..god forbid that anyone should be so slack as to deploy fenders or leave them down approaching or leaving a dock! GEESH!
    Personally I think on a boat that's loaded and limited quarters best to leave them overboard rather then have them cluttering the deck as a trip hazard, even secured to the railing on board can be an obstacle.
    agree mate..my brick shit house of a 42' had so much storage I lost stuff but usually stored fenders clove-hitched to mast granny rails. If I had a smaller vessel would definitely consider the overpriced oblong flatish sealed cell foam fenders which can double as seats and pillows etc.
    one thing I could/would recommend/condone on deck is 6+ 20l+ containers for diesel and water..securely lashed to lifelines/stanchions of course...or?
    Perhaps an additional full propane tank too? Not pretty but who gives a shit mid pacific or?
    Although we had two 15kg aluminum propane tanks we also had a cheapy tin camp stove which took small propane cylinders ..took half a dozen cylinders ..never used but a good standby?

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat
    Lostandfound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    slack crew , get them fenders in ...........................
    555 yup do listen to "MM" MID..god forbid that anyone should be so slack as to deploy fenders or leave them down approaching or leaving a dock! GEESH!
    Personally I think on a boat that's loaded and limited quarters best to leave them overboard rather then have them cluttering the deck as a trip hazard, even secured to the railing on board can be an obstacle.
    agree mate..my brick shit house of a 42' had so much storage I lost stuff but usually stored fenders clove-hitched to mast granny rails. If I had a smaller vessel would definitely consider the overpriced oblong flatish sealed cell foam fenders which can double as seats and pillows etc.
    one thing I could/would recommend/condone on deck is 6+ 20l+ containers for diesel and water..securely lashed to lifelines/stanchions of course...or?
    I usually tie my fenders to the stern rail. Keeps them out of the way and stops them getting caught up by larger waves in most seas.

    A dedicated locker full of 20l fuel cans and dive tank. It swallows up 140 l of diesel giving extra 240 nm range on engine alone. Can also last extra tanks to the deck along guard rails.

  8. #83
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound
    I usually tie my fenders to the stern rail. Keeps them out of the way and stops them getting caught up by larger waves in most seas.

    A dedicated locker full of 20l fuel cans and dive tank. It swallows up 140 l of diesel giving extra 240 nm range on engine alone. Can also last extra tanks to the deck along guard rails.
    Same for me when it come to the fenders, done it for years seems best place for them.
    Well we are still storm bound. The wind has deminished now but the forecast is still up to 25 Knots on the nose for the next 400ks. Pain in the Arse still the place we are at is great. free moorage nice bar at the top of the ramp. Cleanest shores and Laundry I have ever seen store. Chandlery etc.

    Lost my wallet yesterday, someone found it and returned it just as I was phoning to cancel my plastic cards. Depth sounder is broke sounds probably the transducer when we rolled a log.

    Lost and found your boat looks non too shabby Ours is slowly taking shape. A guy turned up at the dock today. An American who we knew from Prince Rupert. I have his old mainsail as a spare, bit small but will do nicely in a pinch. Small coast.

  9. #84
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    More pics here of our new home. Maybe should see if I can get a job if we stay here longer.
    BC Inside Passage | From Klemtu To Bella Bella |Bella Bella To Shearwater Marina SOUTH PACIFIC JOURNAL

    Luksana spent hours putting this together. The wifi is dead slow and may drop at anytime so this works for now.

  10. #85
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    This one I missed. I know you guys are waiting for photos of me in my swim suit but other than hot springs no chance yet.
    BC Inside Passage |Pushing South from Bishop Bay to Klemtu SOUTH PACIFIC JOURNAL

    Hope this brings some relief to your testicles Koman. We nearly wet ourselves reading your post just now. Luksana did think that maybe we should go back up to Alaska, but then remembered the winter and we are still good for tropics

  11. #86
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,683
    Excellent pics and great to have access to the journal and video. You can brave the cold and wet when you have such a pretty first mate.
    Thanks for sharing your adventure.

  12. #87
    Member
    GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Posts
    945
    Good luck to you SIT. I did my Sth Pacific cruising 25 years ago.

    Fair winds and following seas.

  13. #88
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Grumpy you did it when men were men and sailors did not have gps and AIS and did have a sextant.

    The wind is supposed to back for a couple of days so we will leave tomorrow, Tonight still blowing forty. About another 150 miles of fiords and then some open water and a chance to Sail. Rolled a log last week transducer on the depth sounder broke. Get it fixed next week. Have to have the boat hauled so about $600 down the tubes. Maybe TD will sponsor me? LOL.

  14. #89
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Great pics.

    I could almost taste the fish and chips.

  15. #90
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    24-04-2018 @ 09:56 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,236
    Yep, agree with the others - very nicely put together effort, log, etc. I didn't spend too long looking at the bikini pic, honest...

  16. #91
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Trying to not give up the pic posting. Our 2 day crossing was not the best weather. Ok it was crap. We almost beat the weather and then got beat up on for about 4 hours. Then it was just miserable but we had usable wind with the rain. Then we waited. 6 days listening to the bloody wind. It is suppose to ease shortly like now, then pushed back to this evening. SO as soon as I load some photos we will stick our nose out and see if I can remember how to sail this yoke!!
    Then the sky told us of what was to come. So we decided not to do an overnight trip.


    This was taken after we had managed to bash against the wind and sail into the lee


    Are we having fun yet?http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/u...l_DSC_0521.JPG

    Port for the night as the wind rose again.



    Have to leave Admiral is getting ants in her pants? Sorry betty no bikini pics yet:-) (Hope to god you are not talking about me)lol

  17. #92
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Try again



    nope will not doit

    Luksana Put more stuff on the sight.

  18. #93
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    ...christ SIL the sea gods must shine on you...rope around the prop and you cleared it from the dock! Caught fishing ropes twice in Straight of Malacca..snapped link bolts between reduction gear and and prop shaft both times..horrors.
    Maybe the depth sounder dysfunction is also a sign from the gods? Check your anti fouling,sacrificial anodes and all sundry underwater stuff..good idea pre ocean travel methinks...fair sailing mate.

  19. #94
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Serious frickin design flaw for self sufficient DIY sailor..bolts tapped into reduction gear flange instead of through bolted with nuts and lock washers. Luckily a couple of bolt remnants sufficiently proud that a pair of quick grips removed..limped to port with three out of 6 bolts...moral lots of bolts and washers etc etc in gash box..lol

    Later had to replace reduction gear bearings,cutlass bearing and stuffing box ..frickin hole in the water for sure!!! happy days!

  20. #95
    Thailand Expat
    Lostandfound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Posts
    2,465
    Have you considered investing in a dry suit plus scuba gear?

    Worth doing a days course even if you already experienced warm water diver to get used to the buoyancy control

    For sorting our a fouled prop or water intake quite invaluable in cold water.

    When clearing fouled prop in Med or warm water (out at sea) I attach rope if I have others on boat. Carry at least two cutting devices.

    Once picked up fishing net in middle of Biscay at night. Dive under at first light, great and overcast weather made it quite surreal and scary knowing its 2km deep.

    It helps to be slightly neg buoyant otherwise you risk slamming badly against prop and hull in swell. That's why the rope is reassuring.

    Fwiw two dry suits on boat are the ultimate survival suits in cold water if you had to take to the life raft.

  21. #96
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    26-03-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Posts
    1,289
    I crossed the Atlantic 48 years ago, five guys in a 38' yawl, no gps, no radio transmitter just a radio receiver, engine on the blink and tiller steering. Don't remember even having life jackets, looking back we were a little crazy but we lived.
    I'm jealous as hell about your adventure, fair sailing SIT keep up the posts

  22. #97
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound View Post
    Have you considered investing in a dry suit plus scuba gear?

    Worth doing a days course even if you already experienced warm water diver to get used to the buoyancy control

    For sorting our a fouled prop or water intake quite invaluable in cold water.

    When clearing fouled prop in Med or warm water (out at sea) I attach rope if I have others on boat. Carry at least two cutting devices.

    Once picked up fishing net in middle of Biscay at night. Dive under at first light, great and overcast weather made it quite surreal and scary knowing its 2km deep.

    It helps to be slightly neg buoyant otherwise you risk slamming badly against prop and hull in swell. That's why the rope is reassuring.

    Fwiw two dry suits on boat are the ultimate survival suits in cold water if you had to take to the life raft.
    two cutting devices a frickin good idea...free dove in beautiful ,clear blue, calm water..had knife tied with line to wrist.....frickin line got tangled up with the prop and fish float line.....talk about panic nearly frickin drowned...bit of a dumb way to go!

    SIT never mentions if he has EPIRBs? (one for abandon ship grab bag and one vessel?)

  23. #98
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Well now just outside the big city of Cambell river BC.

    The end of real Canada and the start of the " We are almost Californians Canadians"

    Well my engine works good!!!! Listened to the bloody thing for the entire trip. South winds and more south winds. But went to a couple of neat places. try and post later tonight after the admiral has had her turn. Free internet in this spot that looks like it is not open for the season yet so we will sneak out early. God this being broke is fun.

    Crepitas, we have 2 personal locator beacons. I had a started a great argument on the cruising forum when I suggested that they where better than the Epirbs.

    My logic is:

    1 they do everything the standard epirb does.
    2 You wear the thing( you abandon ship, fall over the side they go with you)
    3 you have 2 of them
    3 They are mobile if you go off in the dingy they go with yopu.

    Got the water maker working over the last couple of days. Wow feel like a god! making sweet drinking water from the Ocean.

    Sorry boys just had 2 beers on a very empty stomach. More logical thought later.

  24. #99
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Posts
    35,875
    Cheers...

  25. #100
    Ocean Transient
    Sailing into trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Location
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Posts
    3,634
    Yip crips, we will haul in the next couple of days. Have the transducer. We are in the very commercial south here. Charge you $10 to tie up for a couple of hours! We lucked out here. Saved about $50 because got here late.

    The haul out will cost about $500+200 for the transducer. Fouled prop.

    How about this way inflate dinghy to about half. Use one of those cheap dent pullers to hold on the hull boat hook with sharp knife. That doesn't work thai first mate attached to rope lol.

    Seriously I have this wonderful folding prop. Simple very strong works well. A real advantage is if you drive on to crap, it collapses the prop as in my case, lessening the chance of further damage. I have sworn that I will not use the engine on this trip. Tell you if I do. Logic is if it is not running it cannot break. Straits of M. Think I would move as fast ad possible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •