Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599

    An afternoon in Northern Thailand.

    People say you'd be bored, stagnate, rot or wither away.

    I doubt it.

    After a reasonably hard day at the key board, starting at around 09.00, having been reading most of the night, ( it's the quiet time) , it was time for a spot of brekky.

    A couple of poached eggs on toast, coffee, lovely.

    A cigarette later, coffee number two, and lets hit the pc.

    News, emails, TD, etc etc etc.

    It's 13.00 Lunch time !!!

    She's got some fish from the market. Some veggies (green stuff) from the garden and a bit of sticky rice. Lovely. All consumed and enjoyed.

    Maybe an hours "relax" is called for.

    Around 15.00 we spring to life. She's off to the market, I'm on the PC.

    Around 16.00 she's back and its time for the serious work of the day.

    From day one we'd agreed that I don't do gardening. She wants to garden? Go for your life. Nothing to do with me. I like concrete.

    Anyway, of late I've wained, so to speak. now water the green stuff.

    2 hours, from 4 - 6 watering.

    I actually quite enjoy it.

    You stand there with hose in one hand, a small Leo in the other, and drink beer.

    Seems to work well.

    Now, many folk may consider this boring, humdrum rural crap.

    I'd probably be of the same view, 'till I'd lived it for a while.

    Let me tell you what happened in the space of 2 hours.

    My watering time.

    This afternoon.

    And believe me, it's just as wacky every afternoon.

    To be continued.....................................
    Last edited by jandajoy; 16-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Dislocated Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The thin ice of modern life.
    Posts
    3,745
    You krazy katz! It's the life.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    sometimes a slow lingering death of a family member isn't a good thing, don't force this on your family jj, do the right thing, water those electric cables.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    27-04-2019 @ 04:28 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy View Post

    Now, many folk may consider this boring, humdrum rural crap.

    Whats rural about spending your day on a PC, and drinking a beer whilst watering the garden? You might as well be in a city.

    Very rock and roll, im sure.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat nedwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    06-07-2016 @ 05:28 PM
    Location
    sunshine coast
    Posts
    7,710
    i have a stubbie holder in my ride on...sadly, it holds only 1 beer at a time, i,m gonna put an esky in the trailer for the 'big' jobs

  6. #6
    RIP
    Propagator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    08-09-2010 @ 02:48 PM
    Location
    Runcorn, Cheshire, UK formerly Epsom Surrey.
    Posts
    3,366
    ^ But don't the beer get to lively with all that bumping around on the ride on, or is it the point that once opened it is never laid to rest in the stubbie holder. The stubbie holder being your huge mitts

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy
    An afternoon in NE Thailand.
    I thought you were near Chiang Khong, not Isaan?

  8. #8
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy
    An afternoon in NE Thailand.
    I thought you were near Chiang Khong, not Isaan?
    Beat me to it.

    An afternoon in Thai Laos.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    13-10-2015 @ 03:54 PM
    Posts
    578
    Sounds very familiar to life in my village Except sometimes I completly lose it an go swimming in the local pool

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Well, to continue, it started off all peaceful like. Me, the hose pipe and the flowers, when suddenly excited screams ripped through the tranquility. Shit, what's happened?

    She points excitedly up into a tree. Calls for help from neighbors.

    Fok, must be a snake or the like.

    Turns out to be a huge ants nest.

    OK, no worries. Get 'em in Aus all the time. Generally set fire to 'em.

    No, No, foolish falang.

    Get very long bamboo pole. Tie a wicker basket to one end. Poke basket up into tree, just below ants nest and agitate said nest. Agitate a lot.

    Land basket back on ground and dump contents onto a large round tray thats got a handful of flour in it.

    Coat ants and, more importantly the billions of eggs in the flour.

    Tip tray at an angle so the ants can get out and "make a new nest".

    Pack floured ant eggs into small plastic bags and give with glee to neighbors and friends for a special tea time treat.

    Peace returned, 'till the cat stole the fish.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,192
    Project manager provides site and shell details for new bank location at CDC.

    Three days developing plan, interior concept, furniture concept, storefront etc, etc. 3D rendering begun by assistant, basic architecture completed.

    This morning found out that project manager provided totally faulty information concerning shell. Three days work wasted, all work scraped. Have to re-plan the whole project for presentation to client Friday morning.

    What am I doing wasting time on TD?

    Maybe I will retire and move next door to Jandajoy. Sounds like he has it made.

  12. #12
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-06-2012 @ 03:24 PM
    Posts
    5,528
    boring.....

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelmate
    boring.....

    I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    sometimes a slow lingering death of a family member isn't a good thing, don't force this on your family jj, do the right thing, water those electric cables.
    Strangely, I've never been better. Sleep better, read better, eat better etc. etc.

    It's all remarkably good.

  15. #15
    Dislocated Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The thin ice of modern life.
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy View Post
    Well, to continue, it started off all peaceful like. Me, the hose pipe and the flowers, when suddenly excited screams ripped through the tranquility. Shit, what's happened?

    She points excitedly up into a tree. Calls for help from neighbors.

    Fok, must be a snake or the like.

    Turns out to be a huge ants nest.

    OK, no worries. Get 'em in Aus all the time. Generally set fire to 'em.

    No, No, foolish falang.

    Get very long bamboo pole. Tie a wicker basket to one end. Poke basket up into tree, just below ants nest and agitate said nest. Agitate a lot.

    Land basket back on ground and dump contents onto a large round tray thats got a handful of flour in it.

    Coat ants and, more importantly the billions of eggs in the flour.

    Tip tray at an angle so the ants can get out and "make a new nest".

    Pack floured ant eggs into small plastic bags and give with glee to neighbors and friends for a special tea time treat.

    Peace returned, 'till the cat stole the fish.
    Yeah, what do you know eh? Foolish falang! You nearly burnt the dinner.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    should have sold the ant's nest or at least traded it for a beer

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    "Ants go back. Make again. Can sell"

  18. #18
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy
    From day one we'd agreed that I don't do gardening. She wants to garden? Go for your life. Nothing to do with me. I like concrete.


    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy
    Anyway, of late I've wained, so to speak. now water the green stuff. 2 hours, from 4 - 6 watering. I actually quite enjoy it. You stand there with hose in one hand, a small Leo in the other, and drink beer.
    Now your getting it. Who needs meditation when you have a cold beer and a hose? That is why I call my place "Wat Bung"

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung
    Now your getting it. Who needs meditation when you have a cold beer and a hose? That is why I call my place "Wat Bung"
    Spot on Bungy.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    No hosing today. First rain in ages. Beautiful.

    Just sit and watch. Quite strange, strong sun and heavy rain competing. Purty.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Oh, forgot to mention. We got the fish back from the cat. Only the head was chewed ( there goes semi adopteds tea) bbq the rest tonight. Yum.

  22. #22
    R.I.P.
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,393
    Were there any rainbows?

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by patsycat
    Were there any rainbows?
    Not that I could see, unfortunately. Missed some good photo ops.

  24. #24
    Member
    WhiteLotusLane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-06-2018 @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    633
    Thanks for posting Jandajoy!! That's what life SHOULD be like!! Probably the most uplifting thing I read all day.

    I'm going to water the garden. I never watered the garden with a beer in hand before. Exciting. )

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •