Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 154
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    05-10-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Posts
    36,118

    Any Wives or GF's Play the 'Shares' Game?

    My girl started her 'shares' about 8 months ago.
    Had 19 ladies from the tambon, each contributing at least 3,000 baht.
    They meet each month at our place and draw pieces of paper.
    The one that draws the 'x' wins the pot.
    First pot was over 60,000 baht.
    The winner can't win again until all the others have won, but she still has to pay her monthly 'share.'
    The organizer can't 'win' until the end, where she takes everything.
    Some of the players have more than one 'share.'
    This means they have to 'pay-in' 2 or 3 times the norm every month, but they get an additional draw or more, depending on the amount of shares they have.
    My girl has 5 shares, so she pays in 15,000 baht every month.
    I admit I don't understand the whole process because it seems to me that you can only 'win' what you put in.
    But these 'shares' games are all over the place.
    Some of the ladies from our group organize their own share groups.
    It can be risky because we are talking Thais and money! 555! 'Nuff said.
    Some of the organizers are 'suspect.'
    Nobody will screw over my girl because she is 'connected,' and that is all it takes for success.
    But I still can't see the great advantage of this game that is so damned popular around here.
    Since most Thais seem to live day to day, why would they even think of parting with a substantial amount of money for a chance (albeit a sure chance, since they have to win at some point) of winning the money back later?
    Like I said, I don't know all the facts. Language is a barrier, too. (No shit, I hear you say) Maybe I am missing something.

    I know some of you guys must have ladies who are into this.
    Any thoughts on the subject?


  2. #2
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,379
    Sounds pretty dicey to me. But, Thai females will bet on pretty much anything. In my opinion, someone is gonna get shafted, and it won't be the 'organizer'.

  3. #3
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    18-05-2018 @ 01:50 AM
    Posts
    39,832
    it's a scam, actually you can bid for the share or buy the hand if you need to get the pot

    it's often used as a source of loan or cash flow for the girls

  4. #4
    better looking than Ned
    Rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    17-01-2018 @ 12:27 PM
    Posts
    7,902
    Yes you are wrong to think your wife won't get foked over because she is connected. People who get involed in the game don't have. Which is why they do this stupid shit.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy
    My girl has 5 shares, so she pays in 15,000 baht every month
    What does she work at to have that amount to play with ? Plus, when others fail to pay their share for the month she, the organiser, has to put in the missing donation(s).

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigger View Post
    Yes you are wrong to think your wife won't get foked over because she is connected. People who get involed in the game don't have. Which is why they do this stupid shit.
    Hit the nail on the head!

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    it's a scam, actually you can bid for the share or buy the hand if you need to get the pot

    it's often used as a source of loan or cash flow for the girls
    The way the OP described sounds like zero sum gambling to me. However, since someone will inevitably fuck everyone else over it's defo negative expectation.

    I've only come across the local lotteries, where they take about 50% out of the kitty before re-distributing it.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy
    albeit a sure chance
    Not true. This is Martingale thinking.

    It is entirely possible, however improbable, that someone's name never comes up, and is therefore gambling.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    rawlins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    28-04-2018 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    2,943
    Why don't you tell her to put the 15000 baht each month into a bank account. That way she can choose any time at all to be a 'winner' just by using her ATM card.

    I have heard of this before... Sounds stupid.

    They are a gullible lot though - will fall for anything that their mates tell them or try to sell them. My missus came back from some female gathering with a small box of 'cure everything herbal remedy pills'... She didn't need to cure anything but she had bought them anyway because a friend was selling them... 2000 baht wasted.

  10. #10
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,817
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    I admit I don't understand the whole process because it seems to me that you can only 'win' what you put in.

    But I still can't see the great advantage of this game that is so damned popular around here.
    Some of the staff at my place of work do this, on a smaller scale. It is more of a small savings scheme than anything else. They normally do say a 1,000 per month, ten people agree to see it through to the end. So, each month everyone pays in 1,000, and every month one person takes the 10,000.

    The logic behind it is that it is relatively find 1,000 a month, but sometimes difficult to get 10,000 in cash in a particular month. People will do it to have the cash to go buy a phone or a fridge or whatever.

    Only real down side is ensuring that the person who walks away with the 10,000 the first month, stick with putting up the 1,000 every month for the next nine months. Normally who gets is drawn by lot, but they also seem to do it by negotiation - I need it next month because blah blah. Seems to work.

    My missus at home does not do it - a few of her friends do, but if she wants 10K, she just asks me. Easier I suppose!

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    The Master Cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    My missus at home does not do it - a few of her friends do, but if she wants 10K, she just asks me. Easier I suppose!
    Sounds like she's onto a good thing.

    Mine works, gets paid, and then uses money from her bank account if she wants to buy something. Strange concept I know.

  12. #12
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,867
    All sounds like great scheme. Bunch of friends get together and put some money in a pool. All well and good until someone disappears with the pot. Risk is high this will happen.

    Suppose it's fun as is a sports pool but as with anything, don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

    My missus abhors any sort of gambling. She's seen the consequences of folks losing their land and everything else to pay off gambling debts. The small money she makes selling farm products is put in the bank.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  13. #13
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,817
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Cool View Post
    Mine works, gets paid, and then uses money from her bank account if she wants to buy something. Strange concept I know.
    She full time takes care of our young son by my choice.

    Strange concept I know.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Cool
    Mine works, gets paid, and then uses money from her bank account if she wants to buy something. Strange concept I know.
    Strange concept when there's a huge gap in earning potential, which is often the case in Thai / Farang relationships.

    Mine is doing an intensive English course so she can make some real dosh in Australia.

  15. #15
    Semi member
    Jack meoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    momo's Y-fronts
    Posts
    3,820
    And the 19 losers borrow 3K from the winner and pay it back when they win, TIT.

    What security does the orginiser have that the first winner decides she can't be fookin bothered to pay another year and a half. People will drop out and the pot dwindles down to a couple playing? I win this month you win next month, WTF.
    Like a poster said stick it in the bank.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    05-10-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Posts
    36,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    it's often used as a source of loan or cash flow for the girls
    Yeah, that part is easy...

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    05-10-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Posts
    36,118
    Quote Originally Posted by superman
    What does she work at to have that amount to play with ?
    Papa was a land developer...left 100's of millions in cash and land to children...


  18. #18
    Semi member
    Jack meoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    momo's Y-fronts
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superman
    What does she work at to have that amount to play with ?
    Papa was a land developer...left 100's of millions in cash and land to children...

    She got any unmarried sisters?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    05-10-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Posts
    36,118

    Foked Over:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigger View Post
    Yes you are wrong to think your wife won't get foked over because she is connected. People who get involed in the game don't have. Which is why they do this stupid shit.
    I'm not thinking anything at this stage...
    I've seen lots of 'foked over-ness'...
    I've also never seen so much grovelling...


  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    05-10-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Posts
    36,118
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins
    Why don't you tell her to put the 15000 baht each month into a bank account. That way she can choose any time at all to be a 'winner' just by using her ATM card.
    Bingo! That's what I say...

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    rawlins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    28-04-2018 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    2,943
    ^ I say house but that's besides the point.

    There are no equivalent Thai words for the likes of 'lend' or 'trust' or 'sorry'..... At least if there are, I have never heard a Thai utter them.

    They have no shame where cheating is concerned... There is a Thai equivalent for 'deny everything'....

    It isn't just foreigners that they enjoy shafting... They will gladly screw each other over also and not bat an eyelid about it...

    Why do you let your missus do this?... Unless she does actually have a big inheritance to squander..

    I am still trying to convince my one that the Thai lottery is the crappest in the world.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins
    I am still trying to convince my one that the Thai lottery is the crappest in the world.
    Not necessarily. I'm thinking there's opportunity for bargains due to the uneven distribution of payouts. Everyone loves 9 and 8 and hates 4 and 5. Today I saw them trying to flog off the remaining tickets for this arvo's draw. They were going for 50 baht a ticket (usually 120) and were all 'bad' numbers. So hitting these numbers should equate to a larger slice of the pool.

    It might be mathematically advantageous to buy up unpopular numbers close to draw time, but would need to know the exact % cut the lottery takes to work it out.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    rawlins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    28-04-2018 @ 08:20 PM
    Posts
    2,943
    ^ Good thinking if the thing isn't rigged towards the 9s and 8s.

    Only winners from the lottery I know are those that sell the tickets and the moto taxi guys that sell the winning number news sheets at 5 baht a pop. (And the company that runs it).

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Thai Pom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    15-10-2018 @ 12:18 PM
    Location
    Back in BKK
    Posts
    1,855
    My understanding of the share is that every month they "bid" on taking the pot, the one that bids most (i.e. needs a sharp injection of cash)takes the pot. So if your missus bids 3100 and a mate 3050 she gets the pot. If there is no bidders it is then drawn out.

    Here is the catch, once you have bid 3100 you have to pay that into the pot every month until the share is finished and you cannot take it again. The one person that is still there at the end can stand to take a fair pot.

    That reminds me "where did my first house here go?"

    Cheers, TP

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins
    if the thing isn't rigged towards the 9s and 8s.
    Exactly, probably not worth pursuing due to the likelyhood of corruption. At least you'd have to figure that into the equation.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •