Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 146
  1. #51
    Thailand Expat
    redhaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Just south of Uranus
    Posts
    2,792
    I've never seen it happen either. Doubt its more common than anywhere else

  2. #52
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    I can now finish my morning coffee and start the day confident in my inate superiority over the local savages.
    Not that horrible, locally brewed, tosh from somewhere like Waawee Coffee is it?

    Horrible stuff, Thais don't know how to make coffee (or anything else)!
    I like wawee. You are clearly a fascist! You are leveraging your white mans privileges over ethnic coffee brewing lesbian cooperatives and I demand my safe space and that you be no-platformed!!!!
    don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk

  3. #53
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    I like wawee
    Pffft!

    Thai-coffee-ophile!

  4. #54
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    hmmmm, my spell-checker suggested Neo-Platonism for no-platformed. I'm quite impressed with this new phone.

  5. #55
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    hmmmm, my spell-checker suggested Neo-Platonism for no-platformed. I'm quite impressed with this new phone
    Clearly not a Thai phone then. Thais haven't invented or contributed a single thing to humanity dontchaknow.

    Think about that when drinking your inferior wawee coffee!

  6. #56
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    hmmmm, my spell-checker suggested Neo-Platonism for no-platformed. I'm quite impressed with this new phone
    Clearly not a Thai phone then. Thais haven't invented or contributed a single thing to humanity dontchaknow.

    Think about that when drinking your inferior wawee coffee!
    I'm quite happy to let them have neoplatonism if they want it. It's only ever caused trouble in the west and was indirectly responsible for the Matrix movies. I'd happily swap it for a recipe for a decent gai yang marinade.

  7. #57
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    neoplatonism
    I had to use my superior Western brain to Google that because I had no clue what it meant. Still don't really. Maybe I'm Thai??

  8. #58
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    neoplatonism
    I had to use my superior Western brain to Google that because I had no clue what it meant. Still don't really. Maybe I'm Thai??
    Could be. Do you have a recipe for a good gai yang marinade? I can offer you a choice of several barely used philosophical systems in exchange. Doing a special deal on Epicureanism today, if you take it in the next hour I'll throw in Thomism for nothing. Can't say fairer than that, eh?

  9. #59
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Well OK, that sounds like a fair enough deal but if I am actually Thai I'm going to have to think a way to rip you off someway, somehow - because as a Thai I'm obligated to take advantage of your intellectually superior Western brain with my rat-cunning Thai brain.

    It's not personal though you understand. Anyway, can I interest you in this double-priced bit of kitsch?

  10. #60
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Well OK, that sounds like a fair enough deal but if I am actually Thai I'm going to have to think a way to rip you off someway, somehow - because as a Thai I'm obligated to take advantage of your intellectually superior Western brain with my rat-cunning Thai brain.

    It's not personal though you understand. Anyway, can I interest you in this double-priced bit of kitsch?
    To be honest I was hoping to buy some gemstones. I understand that today is the Kings birthday so there are big discounts on precious stones for today only. Perhaps you could point me in the direction of a reputable dealer?

  11. #61
    I am not in Jail AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,386
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    Perhaps you could point me in the direction of a reputable dealer?
    Yes, my brother just so happens to own a gem shop.

    You, farang, you come with me now...

  12. #62
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,022
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Can honestly say I've never seen anything of the sort in all my time here. A few minor scuffles between some dudes, but that's it.
    Same here. I have never seen that behavior here ever and I have been all over the place. Now someone at work showed me some online vid where some guy did that to his GF/Wife but I have no idea where it even was.

    Would I intervene here? Completely depends on situation and circumstances.

    Bottom line, Men that hit women are cowards.

  13. #63
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    4,796
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    Men that hit women are cowards
    and...?

  14. #64
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,041
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    Men that hit women are cowards
    and...?
    Eventually, climb the ladder to become heads-of-state, powerful corporate CEOs, corrupt politicians, spoiled princes sired by demigod kings, multi-media moguls, popular and grossly overpaid film stars, influential Generals-cum-war-lunatics, coddled and insecure rich boys who become presidents, scholars who consider themselves all that but really aren't, etc, etc....

  15. #65
    Valve Master Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,249
    ^ Ah...psychopaths. Yes...they seem to have taken over the world.

  16. #66
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    13-11-2017 @ 04:17 PM
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    I have just read a story in the Bangkok Post about an Aussie in Phuket who tried to stop a Thai kicking seven shades of shit out his wife in the middle of the road. Needless to say the Thai and his mates then turned on the good Samaritan from down under and kicked him into a hospital bed.

    The question is would you intervene?
    If the man's mates didn't stop him then exactly why would you as a foreigner step into the fray ?
    (That holds true in many nations and cultures. For instance try it on in Mejico , Señor Gringo.)

    Possibly he caught her with another Aussie...you know as "they all look alike"

  17. #67
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    26-06-2017 @ 09:10 PM
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedogsbollix View Post
    If the Thais themselves do not intervene why would a round eye ever want to go there.

    On top of that if ya did get involved and then battered fuk out off no Thai would help you.

    Leave the animals to their Zoo is the only answer.

    Only one way to live in this shithouse and that is to simply not give one fuk about anything Thai related and mind ya own business.

    Works brilliantly for me.


    All true, all good advice.

  18. #68
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    19-11-2017 @ 03:01 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,003
    Violence against women happens everywhere. Its a sad reality. It will never stop as long as people - men, women, gov't continue to look at the other way, ignoring the problem and its root causes. It takes balls and a lot of guts to tackle this problem face on, but if we do not do something about it, the rot/decay of the population will become more severe. Its not an easy task, but this has to be addressed if we wish to become a better society in future generations.

    Every law enacted to protect women, the little acts that individuals or strangers do to make a difference or to help is a step forward.
    I am so unlucky that if I fall into a barrel full of D*ick**s, I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

  19. #69
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    9,001
    I'm not condoning the violence metered out to women but my belief is that violence metered out to men by women is about the same. Based on the fact men are more unlikely to report they've been beaten up by a woman.

    I'm not into all this shit that it's always the man.

    Roughly 40 percent of the victims of severe physical violence were men. The CDC repeated the survey in 2011, the results of which were published in 2014, and found almost identical numbers — with the percentage of male severe physical violence victims slightly rising.Oct 26, 2015
    https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-num...771263030.html

  20. #70
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    19-11-2017 @ 03:01 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,003
    Prolly in the West, but its a different story in ASIA. Women are desserts, inferior, weaker. Violence against women in Asia is a huge problem.

    Unlike most of the knights in shining armor here, I would come to your rescue if I see you being beaten by a woman, but that's just me.

  21. #71
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    9,001
    Sorry I don't see the difference here to the west.
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    Violence against women in Asia is a huge problem.
    Women in the west claim the same thing.

  22. #72
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Sorry I don't see the difference here to the west.
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    Violence against women in Asia is a huge problem.
    Women in the west claim the same thing.
    And both statements are correct. However, in the West there is a lot of legal and social support in place to help the victims, in the East there is not. In the West violence against women is generally acknowledged as being a problem which needs to be solved and much has been done at many levels to help deal with the problem. In Asia a lot of lip service has been paid to the issue but in general nothing much has been done to improve the situation. I guess a simple way to put is that in the west a known wife-beater would be ostracised and probably jailed, in many Asian countries he's just one of the boys and is just keeping the bitch in her place.

    That said, I have still never seen a Thai man beating up his female partner in public and still think the part of the OP after "I have seen" is mostly BS.

  23. #73
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,431
    I'm a knight in shining armour in a Thai bar , when two pissed up bar girls start punching and kicking each other I always have to rescue them. Other Farang always advise me not to get involved in bar girl scrabble , but I have no problem wading into the middle of a bird punch up and bar fineing them both 2000bt for the night and your shift at the pub is over.
    Then the knight takes over and uses his Sir lancer a lot to tame the damsels.

  24. #74
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    19-11-2017 @ 03:01 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,003
    Good for you Wasabi for supporting the local business.

  25. #75
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Sorry I don't see the difference here to the west.
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    Violence against women in Asia is a huge problem.
    Women in the west claim the same thing.
    And both statements are correct. However, in the West there is a lot of legal and social support in place to help the victims, in the East there is not. In the West violence against women is generally acknowledged as being a problem which needs to be solved and much has been done at many levels to help deal with the problem. In Asia a lot of lip service has been paid to the issue but in general nothing much has been done to improve the situation. I guess a simple way to put is that in the west a known wife-beater would be ostracised and probably jailed, in many Asian countries he's just one of the boys and is just keeping the bitch in her place.

    That said, I have still never seen a Thai man beating up his female partner in public and still think the part of the OP after "I have seen" is mostly BS.
    I've seen Thai men hitting their wives a couple times. I've seen Thai women hitting their husbands a few more than that. Witnessed one throw a knife at her husband, only to miss and have it fly out the door and hit a tourist walking by in the foot.

    I've also had to disarm an ex of the knife she was trying stab me with, as well as another time the bottle she was trying to hit me with. (cue the bargirl jokes, but she wasn't one).
    As well, I was having to constantly watch my rear view mirror as any business dealings I had with her had yet to be settled, and her and her new Thai boyfriend knew it would be better for them if I was dead.

    So, from my, possibly biased, personal experiences, I have to disagree with Fawn.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •