Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 159
  1. #1
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57

    Seeking comfortable climate in Thailand. Does it exist?

    Hello

    My title might seem strange to people who emigrate to Thailand for the weather there, but to me and many I know it is unbearable.

    Here is my situation: I spent eight months in Thailand in the 1990's much of it in Chiang Mai. I found the climate there bearable during December and January but after that it was like living in hell. I really do not like any temperatures above the mid 20s.

    I have been married to a Thai woman for over a decade. We spent a few years in South East England, and although I love the climate there and my wife loves spring summer and autumn, she suffered a bit in the dark cold winter months of December to February. We therefore decided to relocate to my favourite holiday destination on planet earth, Funchal on Madeira Island. Not only is it a spectacular place to look at and has wonderfully warm friendly locals







    I and my wife have EU citizen rights and health care, we need no permits to run our business, it is cheap and easy to pop back to England or travel elsewhere in Europe, and has what I believe to be the ideal climate of light sea breezes, medium amounts of rain to keep things green and lush, and temperatures that stay in the high teens to mid 20's throughout the year

    http://www.madeira.climatemps.com/ma...mate-graph.gif


    Here comes the problem part. My wife's parents are both quite ill due to old age so she really has to spend some years there full time and I will go too. So my question is, does anywhere in or near Chiang Mai or anywhere in or near Thailand generally have my lovely Madeira climate? I remember going to Doi Inthanon which was cool but I don't remember seeing any towns at that altitude.

    As you can tell, I will be very sad to leave my island paradise, and my wife says Madeira is 1000 times nicer than anywhere in Thailand, but needs must.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    14,496
    No there is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo de Mel
    Here comes the problem part. My wife's parents are both quite ill due to old age so she really has to spend some years there full time and I will go too.
    Especially if you are going to have the parents staying with you.

    I cant think of a place one that will be under 35 in the day the months of March April and May. Perhaps up on a mountain in Loei, or Nan, but surely not in a pre existing house. It would be much cooler at night, but the day temperatures will remain. Sadly this is tropical south east Asia, not Mediterranean Madeira.
    I moved from the SFO bay area to here, its not the same as we have a Med climate as well. In the hot season and with the current political climate I often find myself asking why.

    This has been the coolest winter in Bangkok for over 2 decades so it has been just wonderful. But too cold for the people up north.

  3. #3
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    no...

  4. #4
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    No there is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo de Mel
    Here comes the problem part. My wife's parents are both quite ill due to old age so she really has to spend some years there full time and I will go too.
    Especially if you are going to have the parents staying with you.

    I cant think of a place one that will be under 35 in the day the months of March April and May. Perhaps up on a mountain in Loei, or Nan, but surely not in a pre existing house. It would be much cooler at night, but the day temperatures will remain. Sadly this is tropical south east Asia, not Mediterranean Madeira.
    I moved from the SFO bay area to here, its not the same as we have a Med climate as well. In the hot season and with the current political climate I often find myself asking why.

    This has been the coolest winter in Bangkok for over 2 decades so it has been just wonderful. But too cold for the people up north.
    Thank you so much even though your reply is what I feared. Does someone else know otherwise? Please!!!!

    Actually Madeira Island has a sub tropical climate, not a Mediterranean climate. The Mediterranean is too dry for my liking, and also the temperatures there range from the low teens to into the low 30s throughout the year, which is much less pleasant than our high teens to mid 20's annual range.

  5. #5
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    15,917
    No. Get ready to swelter.

  6. #6
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,820
    Bo I am a fat bastard and it's never too hot for me I love it, mabe you will acclimatise

    BTW Just as an aside have you checked inheritance rights for your wife in Madera just in case?

    Some of these European Countries don't allow inheritance under dual citizenship, just a thought mate as I am in // will be a similar situation with my missus.

    Hope it all works out
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

  7. #7
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for the inheritance words. I am only im my late 40s and hopefully it therefore isn't an issue for at least a couple of decades. Yes I should have added that information.

    I am not retired, so earning a living in Thailand will be another daunting bridge to cross. All in all this is a very unfortunate situation as I have no desire to relocate to Thailand other than keep my vows to my wife to do the best for her, and truth be told it is only cultural obligations that force her to return there soon as she absolutely loves everything about our life in Funchal, as do friends of hers that have visited us.

  8. #8
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ Temperature then will be the least of your concerns...

  9. #9
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    15,917
    Stay where you are....make money....send same to her so she can take care of her folks. Visit when you can. It may only be for a few years. If you accompany her, you will be unemployed, miserable and HOT. She will be unhappy because you are. Her parents won't care. Due to my previous employment, I often spent very long periods away from my spouse...it can be done. I'm not being obnoxious, at least not intentionally, but it's an option to consider.

  10. #10
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Actually climate is one of my greater concerns, sorry to correct you.

    I have enough money put aside to support us there for 18-24 months after which I hope we will be able to return to Madeira, hence the employment issue is not imminent or a certainty....yet

  11. #11
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    02-03-2015 @ 03:30 PM
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,951
    Well you have three choices without me being pedantic about the climate in
    Thailand.....Either like it , lump it or stay where you are.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,248
    Why on earth would someone living near a place you've lived in previously be experiencing a radically different climate to the one you experienced?

  13. #13
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    23-09-2017 @ 04:41 PM
    Location
    Thermae
    Posts
    18,370
    just manage it like the rest of the haves do - utilise air conditioning

    or as the poorer do - utilise electric fans

    or the dirt poor - utilise the breeze

  14. #14
    Curmudgeon
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In Transit
    Posts
    11,646
    I think Davis makes a very good point. Provided your business can stand regular absences, you could settle the wife and in laws in the far north and time your visits to take advantage of the Thai weather conditions to suit you.
    separation can be tough but it can also have beneficial effects for you both.
    I would not be happy in an uncomfortable climate, waiting for in laws to die. That would put a greater strain on relationships than any amount of separation.
    Heart of Gold and a Knob of butter.

  15. #15
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    I understand your wife wants to do her best by her family, but there may be another option, funding permitting. Why don't you look into private nursing care for your in laws, and your wife can visit and stay with them for a few weeks every few months?
    Then you get to stay in a place you both love, you continue working, you don't have to put up with the Thailand climate (wish I had to!), she makes sure her parents get the best care and you don't have to separate for very long periods.

  16. #16
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Why on earth would someone living near a place you've lived in previously be experiencing a radically different climate to the one you experienced?
    I had hoped there are some mountain-top towns like the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia.

    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    I think Davis makes a very good point. Provided your business can stand regular absences, you could settle the wife and in laws in the far north and time your visits to take advantage of the Thai weather conditions to suit you.
    separation can be tough but it can also have beneficial effects for you both.
    I would not be happy in an uncomfortable climate, waiting for in laws to die. That would put a greater strain on relationships than any amount of separation.
    Yes he does.

    The problem is that my FIL has developed a mental condition which makes him occasionally violent. My wife is concerned about her mother, who refuses to leave the FIL, and I could not forgive myself if something happened to my wife and I had not been there to protect her.

    There appears to be very little by way of mental health care in Thailand. Any news to the contrary is welcome.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,412
    thailand is hot, and for most of the time uncomfortably hot.

    we live on the coast in hua hin, and it is probably cooler here in the hot season than anywhere else due to the sea breezes that take the edge off the heat, the killer though is the high humidity during the long rainy season that makes life very sweaty.

    from the graph you posted, your climate looks almost perfect


    compared to the uk, what is the cost of living like on madeira?

  18. #18
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    23-09-2017 @ 04:41 PM
    Location
    Thermae
    Posts
    18,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo de Mel
    Any news to the contrary is welcome.
    teakdoor itself provides therapy for many who require mental health care

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo de Mel
    I have enough money put aside to support us there for 18-24 months
    I'm sure you can find someone to 'sort them out' for about 10k Baht, so you could get away with just a 2 week holiday if you're canny enough.

  20. #20
    CabbageSmeller Pursuivant
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Posts
    10,347
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    I think Davis makes a very good point.
    So do I. Stay put and let your wife do 3 months on 3 months off in Thailand and Portugal until the parents fall off the perch. Save a bunch of headaches for you.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,091
    Fall off the perch.
    Got to love TD, men's talk .

  22. #22
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    I think Davis makes a very good point.
    So do I. Stay put and let your wife do 3 months on 3 months off in Thailand and Portugal until the parents fall off the perch. Save a bunch of headaches for you.
    But would you let your wife stay there without you when her father has some kind of psychosis and walks around the house with a claw hammer?

  23. #23
    CabbageSmeller Pursuivant
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Posts
    10,347
    Sorry I did not read the whole thread before. Sounds like a difficult situation. But they could hang around for years. It could end up straining your marriage if you are going out of duty. Is there no other more arms-length solution such as paid 3rd party care?

  24. #24
    Member Bolo de Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    19-01-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    thailand is hot, and for most of the time uncomfortably hot.

    we live on the coast in hua hin, and it is probably cooler here in the hot season than anywhere else due to the sea breezes that take the edge off the heat, the killer though is the high humidity during the long rainy season that makes life very sweaty.

    from the graph you posted, your climate looks almost perfect


    compared to the uk, what is the cost of living like on madeira?
    It is perfect.

    An equivalent standard of living can be had here for about 60% of the cost in England. Local salaries average about 60% of those in England, so it works out about equal for locals working here, which is the kind of economic equilibrium you'd expect.

    It's the exotic quality of life combined with the rights and security of living in the EU though that makes here stand out, and apparently the other EU Outermost Regions, French Guiana in South America and Reunion Island near Madagascar (both of which are officially regions/counties of France) feel like paradise too

  25. #25
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain
    Why don't you look into private nursing care for your in laws, and your wife can visit and stay with them for a few weeks every few months?
    Couldn't this be a possible solution for this?





    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo de Mel
    But would you let your wife stay there without you when her father has some kind of psychosis and walks around the house with a claw hammer?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •