Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,782

    Learn to Write Thai


  2. #2
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,820
    Thanks for that ,all is clear now , I,m almost ready for level 2

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,699
    Me too.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    03-08-2011 @ 05:55 PM
    Location
    los,angeles,california,USA Philippines really
    Posts
    2
    this looks complicated.,

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    19-10-2011 @ 12:02 PM
    Posts
    6
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Member Bazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 AM
    Posts
    969
    Ummm, I don't see the resemblance to an egg for no 2.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    28-11-2012 @ 04:29 PM
    Posts
    17
    that must be one of the worst learning videos i have ever seen...

  8. #8
    Gohills flip-flops wearer
    withnallstoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    18-11-2017 @ 10:04 AM
    Location
    The Felcher Memorial Home.
    Posts
    14,247
    ^ link?

  9. #9
    Member
    yortyiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Location
    uncertain!
    Posts
    769
    That Mod girl is nice. It helped me concentrate a bit better than usual. Dunno why.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    22-02-2013 @ 06:15 PM
    Posts
    5
    As i Know Thai is not a very difficult to learn ....
    try ones....

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    04-04-2013 @ 02:44 PM
    Posts
    4

    very hard

    it is really hard to learn thai but possible ..... Good Luck

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastony View Post
    it is really hard to learn thai but possible ..... Good Luck
    I think it's no harder to learn Thai than to learn any other language as an adult. ..

    It's more a fact that the motivation of the learner is lacking rather than Thai being "too hard to learn" .. Face it most foreigners who have a thai "significant" other say that their thai speaks engrish good... That statement shows me they aren't motivated to learn Thai really..

    I've heard every excuse in the book; I'm too old, I'm not good with languages, I'm tone deaf, I'm blah-blah-blah. The fact is you're just plain lazy and not motivated enough to do what it takes to learn Thai..

    I don't know if you noticed but the people in this country ain't the sharpest frickin' knives in the drawer, yet they all seem to speak read and write Thai...

    I tell everyone I taught myself to read, write and speak Thai for one reason, and one reason only. It's because while I'm sure that one percent of the world's population is smarter than I am, in the same breath I'm 100% sure that not all 65+ million of those people are in this country... If the Thais can read write and speak so can I, IF I put my mind to it..

    Still, I applaud anyone who tries to learn Thai. Remember trying and failing at something just shows you how NOT to go about doing it again. Keep at it, I know if I can do it, you can too. .
    "Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,600
    I've memorized and forgotten the Thai alphabet several times. I've given up trying to retain it.

  14. #14
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    I don't know if you noticed but the people in this country ain't the sharpest frickin' knives in the drawer, yet they all seem to speak read and write Thai...
    In fact quite a lot of them can't read and write, but the greater problem is that there is the formal Thai language which I encounter regularly in my work, and the everyday language used in newspapers and conversation. They actually use different words for the same subject.

    Many Thais know the everyday language but when confronted with legal documents, such as tax treaties, they have no hope of understanding what they are reading. People pick away at words trying to figure out what they mean, it's ridiculous.
    I see fish. They are everywhere. They don't know they are fish.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,790
    Any Thai who's spent a day in school anywhere in this country was taught Central Thai (the government approved version of Thai). Now whether they speak that at home is another story, but believe me they know how to speak, read, and write Central Thai. That's because EVERYTHING in print, all the radio shows (except those cheesy bootleg AM stations up-country) and all the television programming use only Central Thai.

    The Thais my age (mid-50's) used to get around 6 years of schooling, yet even they can read, write and speak just fine.

    In some ways Thai is no different than English as far as infrequently used or spelled words and the "jargon jungle" a person experiences with different trades. It's highly unlikely I could wade thru a lengthy business contract or understand convoluted tax laws in English yet I'm a native American English speaker, born, bred and corn fed.

    I will concede that there's a marked difference between ภาษาราชการ (government language) often called ภาษาทางการ (formal language), ภาษาภาษี (tax language), ภาษาเขียน (written language), ภาษาปาก (spoken language) and ภาษาท้องถิ่น (regional dialects), but that's not all too different from English. If a person is unlikely to have use for the vocab, they forget it or just plain don't learn it.

    The point I was trying to make with my oh-so "cryptic observation" was; if the Thais can speak, read and write Thai so can ANY foreigner, if they really want to.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    21-04-2014 @ 10:58 PM
    Location
    Near Pattaya
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastony View Post
    it is really hard to learn thai but possible ..... Good Luck
    I think it's no harder to learn Thai than to learn any other language as an adult. ..

    It's more a fact that the motivation of the learner is lacking rather than Thai being "too hard to learn" ..

    I've heard every excuse in the book; I'm too old, I'm not good with languages, I'm tone deaf, I'm blah-blah-blah. The fact is you're just plain lazy and not motivated enough to do what it takes to learn Thai..

    Still, I applaud anyone who tries to learn Thai. Remember trying and failing at something just shows you how NOT to go about doing it again. Keep at it, I know if I can do it, you can too. .
    Not sure if it is lazy; I might agree with unmotivated. There is also another aspect and that is TIME. When learning any language, you must be able to dedicated a significant amount of time and practice.

    Since I've been here full time, I've hardly had time to relax. Not an excuse, just the reality. Always some honey do to be done. And even when I try to get the honey to help me with language; she rattles off so fast and then goes back to English... like she doesn't want to be bothered.

    Err... maybe she not want me to learn Thai so I know what her and girlfriends are say???? Hmmmm ???

  17. #17
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:43 AM
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Any Thai who's spent a day in school anywhere in this country was taught Central Thai (the government approved version of Thai). Now whether they speak that at home is another story, but believe me they know how to speak, read, and write Central Thai. That's because EVERYTHING in print, all the radio shows (except those cheesy bootleg AM stations up-country) and all the television programming use only Central Thai.

    The Thais my age (mid-50's) used to get around 6 years of schooling, yet even they can read, write and speak just fine.

    In some ways Thai is no different than English as far as infrequently used or spelled words and the "jargon jungle" a person experiences with different trades. It's highly unlikely I could wade thru a lengthy business contract or understand convoluted tax laws in English yet I'm a native American English speaker, born, bred and corn fed.

    I will concede that there's a marked difference between ภาษาราชการ (government language) often called ภาษาทางการ (formal language), ภาษาภาษี (tax language), ภาษาเขียน (written language), ภาษาปาก (spoken language) and ภาษาท้องถิ่น (regional dialects), but that's not all too different from English. If a person is unlikely to have use for the vocab, they forget it or just plain don't learn it.

    The point I was trying to make with my oh-so "cryptic observation" was; if the Thais can speak, read and write Thai so can ANY foreigner, if they really want to.
    I want to, and I can.

    And, what would you say might be a target to shoot for, regarding number of new vocabulary to be added each month during the first year?

    15 words average might be a good goal.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    alwarner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Location
    Location: Location.
    Posts
    5,115
    I've got the the point now where I need to learn to read it for my Thai to improve. I've been meaning to do it for ages but haven't.

    Pure laziness on my part.

  19. #19
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:43 AM
    Posts
    385
    I no longer think the material used to learn Thai is extremely critical. There is plenty of suitable stuff all over the internet.

    What is crucial is the amount of time spent on repetition, and also the length of time taken to learn. I doubt there are very many "fast" learners, and probably most people require roughly the same amount of time to learn to read in any language.

    I have noticed that you just gradually absorb it as long at you keep putting in the hours, and it is not difficult but more like learning to play the piano at a beginner level. You will need plenty of hours of practice to play the piano just as this is also the case with learning to read Thai.

  20. #20
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    หีใบ้.....

  21. #21
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:43 AM
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    หีใบ้.....
    Tsk, tsk.......

    หายไป

  22. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    06-12-2013 @ 04:07 AM
    Posts
    6
    oh god its complicated

    thanx dude

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •