Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,018

    Expats with delusions of grandeur

    Quote Originally Posted by a bloke from an indo forum
    Yep, a total wind up and laughs about it !
    My guess is that she has an Indo boyfriend on the side (like most of them). Probably an ojek driver or other such character. I'm not sure if turning down expats to go with an ojek driver is much to laugh about. If that's the case, I would think that 20 years from now, she'd look back and realize it may have been a mistake. She's one who could have a shot at landing an expat husband while she's young.

    I've never asked her out or even asked for her number. I like joking around with her, but I've never had the urge to pursue her. She's a cutie though, no doubt about it. Then again, there are so many cuties on the blok.
    erm, not eveybody in the world really wants to marry a sexpat

    so wot annoys u about certain expat attitudes in Asia?

  2. #2
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,567
    The notion that they are superior in "all things" to their hosts.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    29,981
    ^Couldn't have put it better myself.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    24-03-2008 @ 06:40 AM
    Posts
    14
    copying and pasting from the blok m forum eh kw?

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Location
    There
    Posts
    30,789
    Expats, at least the ones on genuine expat contracts, have it good.
    They earn far more in disposable income than they would at home, have housing, possibly a driver and maid supplied, and usually women on tap. Hardship posting, my arse.

    From a situation where they were 'nothing special' back home, now they feel they are. It goes to many of their heads.
    probes Aliens

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    ^ your right, Asia is the favorite place to dispose of managment that has hit the competency ceiling back home. Therefore you get a lot of guys that have been struggling in a mid managment role shuffled of here with grand words about opening new markets and the rest of the BS while those back home are rubbing their hands with glee at finding a solution to the sticky problem of having someone too costly to fire but being a total embarrassment in the home country HO.
    So the guy arrives here with a good package, maid and driver and thinks he is back up the ladder of sucessful career, little does he know they have forgotten him already.
    He has just become a market development expense and a dammed good tax W/O in that role. The problem is that he sees himslf as the hand picked chosen one for this new grand venture, it all goes to his head.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,018
    Quote Originally Posted by exiledgooner View Post
    copying and pasting from the blok m forum eh kw?
    yep from time to time. i dont read that forum very often, as its population is somewhat restricted. i find this forum more interesting, but the actual phenomenom is one that i recognize in many different places, the text just served as a good example.

    and, erm, since i only use the same nic, it aint really a secret who i am either.

    you may have noticed that i didnt use the nic of the original poster either.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    23-12-2009 @ 08:30 AM
    Posts
    444
    I agree with Norton and Ant

  9. #9
    RIP
    Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Location
    Rawai Phuket
    Posts
    6,010
    Of course - you meet them everywhere - not just Thailand

    The older ones are retired and living on pensions - they spend their time running down the locals who live on 10% of what they get from their pension fund - telling them all what they did and how much they earned when they were working and telling everyone what they should do but, at the end of the evening, are scratching through their pockets to pay the bar bill!

    Pathetic!

  10. #10
    Member
    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    09-07-2010 @ 08:14 AM
    Posts
    627
    ^ Life can be a Bitch !!!!

  11. #11
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    ^ Life can be a Bitch !!!!
    Then you retire in Thailand.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    08-12-2011 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    2,908
    Failed
    In
    London
    Try
    Hong Kong

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 05:14 AM
    Location
    The End
    Posts
    958
    Every single expat I’ve ever met is the same - hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics & that the barman really is their friend.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    08-12-2011 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    2,908
    Eventually you realize you are an alcoholic and the barman isn't your friend. Then you "go native."

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Orchestra
    Every single expat I’ve ever met is the same - hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics & that the barman really is their friend.
    well yah havent met me then, have ya!








    all my shirts are awesome! haha

  16. #16
    Member
    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    09-07-2010 @ 08:14 AM
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Orchestra View Post
    Every single expat Iíve ever met is the same - hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics & that the barman really is their friend.

    So what sort of Shirts are you into ?

  17. #17
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    16,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Orchestra View Post
    Every single expat Iíve ever met is the same - hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics & that the barman really is their friend.
    If you're hanging around bars at 10am what kind of people do you expect to meet? Most expats I know are hunched over desks at that time of the morning.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    If you're hanging around bars at 10am what kind of people do you expect to meet? Most expats I know are hunched over desks at that time of the morning.
    i wasnt gonna mention that to him, next he's gonna say all the expats he meets in pattay are tattoo'd, balding, holding a hookers hand

  19. #19
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Orchestra
    Every single expat I’ve ever met is the same -
    How many expats have you known?


    Two?

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    16-07-2018 @ 05:28 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootad Binky View Post
    Eventually you realize you are an alcoholic and the barman isn't your friend. Then you "go native."
    And start postiong on TD!!!

  21. #21
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    next he's gonna say all the expats he meets in pattay are tattoo'd, balding, holding a hookers hand
    Aren't they?

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,047
    They are not expats but sexpats, a subtle difference

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Location
    There
    Posts
    30,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    next he's gonna say all the expats he meets in pattay are tattoo'd, balding, holding a hookers hand
    Aren't they?
    Well, no. Several working expats live in and around Pattaya- they tend to be employed in the Industrial estates to be found all around Pattaya. Many have families, and kids at school.
    Then theres the few that have built highly succesful businesses here, and I don't mean in the sex trade.
    Then theres the offshore workers- a few thousand of them have homes in and around Pattaya.
    Married retiree's. Tattoo's are not mandatory here.

    It's a much more diverse community than stereotype suggests. Chances are, if you see a shirtless, drunk tattoo'd type with a young brown thing in his arm he's a tourist. Residents tend to act a little more discretely.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    ^I was joking. Sorry I forgot the smiley

  25. #25
    Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb
    Sir Burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2009 @ 09:54 AM
    Location
    Phuket.
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Many have families, and kids at school.
    Then theres the few that have built highly succesful businesses here, and I don't mean in the sex trade.
    Then theres the offshore workers- a few thousand of them have homes in and around Pattaya.
    Married retiree's. Tattoo's are not mandatory here.

    It's a much more diverse community than stereotype suggests. Chances are, if you see a shirtless, drunk tattoo'd type with a young brown thing in his arm he's a tourist. Residents tend to act a little more discretely.
    You could be talking about Phuket, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •