Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022

    Rainy Season in Jakarta

    It was a supposed to end in January or February. It has not, pretty much rained everyday since. We had a bit of a downpour yesterday afternoon. Took a taxi home and the roads had a little bit of water on them. Like so


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    But it was until I got to this corner that things got tricky. ..

    the taxi refused to drive through that water.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Most cars were just doing a U turn and getting out of there which also messed up the traffic a bit. I told the taxi to wait and said I'd walk it. (No other way to go around).




    A bunch of locals stuck at this intersection. Thought i was a bit crazy. Bear in mind I was wearing a suit.



  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    One or two cars would chance it, just not my taxi and they also created a bow wave to make me more wet.



  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Now I'm inside my housing complex, that's the Guard's Gatehouse.



  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    The main (only) road in and out of the complex. The cars didn't want to chance it either. in the centre is supposed to be a little stream.



  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Finally the water level begins to drop away as the road gets higher.






  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    A small pond at the top had also overflowed. (It's approx one-two metres deep) I'll get another pic later today to show the difference.




    The End.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 06:07 PM
    Posts
    25,019
    ^

    Nice report Willy.

    Bugger all here in Bangkok.

    Floods down South though

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    These are pics of the pond and stream on a normal day.






  11. #11
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    That's not your complex.
    That wasn't your taxi.
    That's not your rain....
    I bet you don't even own a suit.
    Could have gotten those pics from anywhere...

  12. #12
    Member Flaming Carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    350
    A fake?

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat 9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 01:18 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,528
    Is that a stream or an open sewer?

  14. #14
    Member Flaming Carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    350
    Imagine living in that shithole. Got to be the $$$.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Carrot View Post
    Imagine living in that shithole. Got to be the $$$.
    wot he said

  16. #16
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Carrot View Post
    A fake?

    Wille has a habit of stealing pictures, usually from wealthy famous people that he fantasizes about being, photoshopping them and passing them off as his own.
    Motorcycles, fancy hotel rooms, lasagna etc.
    With a bit of work you can usually track down the originals. The differences can be subtle, but there are there.







  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Bastards!

    The taxi shot is brilliant...

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Exit Strategy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    22-11-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks for the report.

    Some heavy rain in northern BKK but infrastructure here takes it.

    Good luck Willy.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by 9999 View Post
    Is that a stream or an open sewer?
    Stream for sure, the locals catch fish from it all the time.

  20. #20
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Posts
    2,804
    How are old are these photos,is this the situation now ?

    Is Jakartas weather a likely problem for visitors in the rainy season,or are certain areas not prone to flooding ?

    Perhaps you could give some more detail on the actual location of those photos, i.e village where the taxi driver refused to drive through the water.

    Maybe useful to anyone that intends to travel there.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave View Post

    Perhaps you could give some more detail on the actual location of those photos, i.e village where the taxi driver refused to drive through the water.

    Maybe useful to anyone that intends to travel there.
    Or for you that would like his address

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    All part of living in SEA.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    How are old are these photos,

    Two days old.

    is this the situation now ?

    Nope. The water has subsided now.

    Is Jakartas weather a likely problem for visitors in the rainy season,

    yes. Increased traffic and missed flights can be the biggest issue. But it's not rainy season right now.

    are certain areas not prone to flooding ?

    Yes.

    Perhaps you could give some more detail on the actual location of those photos, i.e village where the taxi driver refused to drive through the water.

    South Jakarta.

    Maybe useful to anyone that intends to travel there.


    Ok. First time in three years that this particular road has flooded, maybe it will occur again next week davey.
    Last edited by kingwilly; 27-06-2014 at 07:41 AM.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    How are old are these photos,

    Two days old.

    is this the situation now ?

    Nope. The water has subsided now.

    Is Jakartas weather a likely problem for visitors in the rainy season,

    yes. Increased traffic and missed flights can be the biggest issue. But it's not rainy season right now.

    are certain areas not prone to flooding ?

    Yes.

    Perhaps you could give some more detail on the actual location of those photos, i.e village where the taxi driver refused to drive through the water.

    South Jakarta.

    Maybe useful to anyone that intends to travel there.

    Ok. First time in three years that this particular road has flooded, maybe it will occur again next week davey.
    So the thread reads Rainy season in Jakartar and the photo are two days old,but its not actually rainy season in Jakartar right now?

    Good report on the rainy season then.

    Is south Jakarta a bit of a mine field with areas that flood ?

    All due respect if your not willing to state names of places from where this flood has affected travel routes its not much of a report.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave
    So the thread reads Rainy season in Jakartar and the photo are two days old,but its not actually rainy season in Jakartar right now?
    Yes. The title is supposed to be a wry commentary on the fact that Global Warming has shifted the seasons. So it is not rainy season right now, but we seem to be getting lots of rain about every day.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave
    Good report on the rainy season then.
    thank-you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave
    Is south Jakarta a bit of a mine field with areas that flood ?
    Yes. Kemang is particularly bad. A result of too much building and roads, and not enough planning for water run off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave
    All due respect if your not willing to state names of places from where this flood has affected travel routes its not much of a report.
    You really are a pillock, aren't you. If you are traveling and need a weather report, try BB fucking C.

    Or perhaps you could even PM me, tell me which area and I will happily give you a weather update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •