Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975

    How to quote another members post.

    Sometimes the simplest things can be the most difficult, and again, until you know how to do something it might seem impossible.

    If you want to quote another members post so that you can make a comment about their post and keep it in context, simply click on the 'Quote' icon at bottom right of the members post that you want to quote.

    < This is what you are looking for. The other one is a quick reply icon which has nothing to do with quoting.

    As an example I have just quoted Wally Dorian Raffles in the 'Falang vs Farang' debate.

    This is the screen shot of what I see when I clicked on Wally's post.



    I can now type in my response to his post after the code [/quote] and here is what I typed.



    Once you are happy that what you have typed will not make you appear as a complete and utter fool then simply hit 'submit'.
    Remember that you can always preview what you are about to post by clicking on the 'Preview Post' button. This will show you what your post will look like before you commit to posting it.

    Anyway, this is a screenshot of how my post looked like once I hit the 'Submit' button.



    It is pretty straight forward and I am sure that once you have used the function a couple of times it will be easy peezy.

    Last edited by Captain Sensible; 28-11-2005 at 10:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975
    Now all that is pretty straight forward and the software will do it all for you but there may be times when you want to quote someones post manually.
    To do this all you need to do is get your head around the code that makes it work.
    Be aware that the codes on different boards may vary slightly.
    On this board the code for quoting is simply

    [quote]...Whatever the content of what you are quoting is... and then followed by closing the quote with [/quote ] (nb. without the space at the end before this bracket "]"

    This will simply bring up whatever you have quoted in a quote box with the word 'Quote' as its header.

    If you wanted to manually quote another member you will have to include their nik.
    This is done by typing in the following code....

    [quote=The other members nik] whatever the fool actually posted[/quote ]
    again without the space before the final bracket "]".

    I aint the best tutorial writer in the world but I hope that this is at least comprehensible.
    If you have any questions please post them here and I will endeavour to answer them. However I reckon that if you have a play around with it and use the 'Preview' function you will be quoting with confidence in no time.

    Enjoy.

    Last edited by Captain Sensible; 28-11-2005 at 10:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Xzyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    /usr/bin/php
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible
    It is pretty straight forward and I am sure that once you have used the function a couple of times it will be easy peezy.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Yep nows the chance to improve my sex life, no more old skanky hoes for me, and all it takes is a small donation

    Obviously not all the money will be wasted on my sex life, some will be used to buy women for our fine server aswell, did I tell you about the new camera phone he bought? yes that takes damn fine pics

    But whats in it for me I hear you say, erm, well you get some poxy sign under your avatar and that, hell I'm sure we can think of something, maybe a bigger pm box, hmmm, that doesn't really sound appealing does it, well anyway who cares what is in it for you, it's what's in it for me that really counts now don't forget, every 10 bucks is half a women, well just over half I suppose, so it's best if you donate in multiples of 20bucks at a time,well unless you want me eating at some Thai shack place.

    Donate here to help improve the dogs sex life
    Hey CS, nice tutorial but I think you should also mention multiple quotes.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Xzyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    /usr/bin/php
    Posts
    160
    It seems I was to slow with my comments. Sorry about that CS

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    It seems I was to slow with my comments. Sorry about that CS
    Actually Xzyte, KK brought up an interesting point about quoting posts with quotes in. If that makes sense. He confused the bijesus out of me with it actually.
    So how can I quote a quoted post?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Hey CS, nice tutorial but I think you should also mention multiple quotes.
    Like this one. This post had two quotes in it yet when I quote it by clicking the quote icon all I get is what you wrote less the actual two quotes that you quoted.

    My head is starting to hurt again.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Xzyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    /usr/bin/php
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    It seems I was to slow with my comments. Sorry about that CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible
    Actually Xzyte, KK brought up an interesting point about quoting posts with quotes in. If that makes sense. He confused the bijesus out of me with it actually.
    So how can I quote a quoted post?
    Just select and copy the Quote part of the message first and then paste it into the reply window.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975
    I am going back to doing stand up.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I'm with the Cap on this one. Can we have it set up so the quote function quotes the whole of the post, not just the last written entry? (If ya know wot I mean...)

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Xzyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    /usr/bin/php
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I'm with the Cap on this one. Can we have it set up so the quote function quotes the whole of the post, not just the last written entry? (If ya know wot I mean...)
    I know what you mean, let me check some of the code and look if I can add that.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    ^ You are dude!

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Xzyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    /usr/bin/php
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I'm with the Cap on this one. Can we have it set up so the quote function quotes the whole of the post, not just the last written entry? (If ya know wot I mean...)
    I know what you mean, let me check some of the code and look if I can add that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    ^ You are dude!
    It should work now Marmite & CS

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I'm with the Cap on this one. Can we have it set up so the quote function quotes the whole of the post, not just the last written entry? (If ya know wot I mean...)
    I know what you mean, let me check some of the code and look if I can add that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    ^ You are dude!
    It should work now Marmite & CS
    So it seems. Good work sah!

  14. #14
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I'm with the Cap on this one. Can we have it set up so the quote function quotes the whole of the post, not just the last written entry? (If ya know wot I mean...)
    I know what you mean, let me check some of the code and look if I can add that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    ^ You are dude!
    It should work now Marmite & CS
    So it seems. Good work sah!
    Great stuff!

  15. #15
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Another good trick is to highlight a quote and then click on q-quote in someone elses post.

    Quote Originally Posted by stroller
    So it seems. Good work sah!

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    16,922
    Nice tips to play with when you are bored Cappy, cool!

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    RandomChances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    05-02-2016 @ 12:46 AM
    Location
    Riyadh
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    Nice tips to play with when you are bored Cappy, cool!
    l Like that ? Could take miss-qouting to the limits

  18. #18
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomChances
    Another good trick is to highlight a quote and then click on q-quote in someone elses post.
    I just said that you idiot.
    Stop repeating everything I say.

  19. #19
    punk douche bag
    ChiangMai noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    o dan y bryn
    Posts
    29,256
    I prefer to use the bbcode thingy with firefox.

  20. #20
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiangMai noon
    I prefer to use the Smeg thingy with firefox.
    What is that?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •