Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    crippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    5,202

    Are you getting enough???

    Just had two friends who play golf really feeling funny on the golf course. One actually passed out,the other nearly did. Talking to them after the events,thought the symptoms sounded familiar so had a quick Google on them. Turns out they were both suffering from Salt Deficiency.I have had some kidney trouble in the past and have to watch my salt input. Some days I am just dying for McThai (!) chips with all their salt.They are now taking Oreda salt sachets and all ok now. Their problems include feeling faint,muscle aches,lack of energy and generally feeling crap.

    Symptoms of salt deficiency | SteadyHealth.com


    Some of the most common symptoms of salt deficiencies are fatigue, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps and nausea. If the condition worsens seizures and coma can appear. In rare cases, severe hyponatremia in combination with other conditions can even cause death.


    Any of this sound familiar???

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    The big anti salt drive of the 80s and the profusion of salt free staples in supermarkets have a lot to,answer for.
    Everything in moderation.

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    We're talking of natural occurring salts, less the processed variety - are we not?


    Or the synthetics that pass for salt intake these days.

  4. #4
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362
    I eat somtam on a daily basis, so yes. These people can even make a fucking salad unhealthy.

  5. #5
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    We're talking of natural occurring salts, less the processed variety - are we not?


    Or the synthetics that pass for salt intake these days.

    There's synthetic salt?

  6. #6
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,904
    I easily get salt deficiency and start feeling all those symptoms.
    I found my own simple solution.

    I put half a tea spoon of salt in my drinking water.
    The more I drink the more salt I get and my salt level remains good.

  7. #7
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ I just don't eat synthetic foods and salt my food to taste.
    And drink a lot of beer.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    boloa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    3,844
    I drink at least 2 big bottles of water a day,I put half a pack of Newtower Electrolyte in each ( 6 baht a pack ).

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    I use electrolyte.
    Lemony ones.
    Lick Laosy's snatch every day...... keeps me topped up.

  10. #10
    Member cheekyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-04-2014 @ 06:02 PM
    Posts
    425
    I am no health expert - but I watched a health programme recently stating that the average westerner consumed more than 3 times the recommended salt intake.

    It stated that this lead to early deaths high blood pressure and coronary disease - I thought we were all getting too much.

  11. #11
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ only if your diet consists primarily of processed foods.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Posts
    25,285
    Quote Originally Posted by the dogcatcher View Post

    Lick Laosy's snatch every day...... keeps me topped up.

    Fooking " dogcatcher " what a dude eh.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    boloa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekyman View Post
    I am no health expert - but I watched a health programme recently stating that the average westerner consumed more than 3 times the recommended salt intake.

    It stated that this lead to early deaths high blood pressure and coronary disease - I thought we were all getting too much.
    People in hot, tropical climates need more salt than those that live in a temperate climate.

    Salt and High Blood Pressure

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ only if your diet consists primarily of processed foods.
    Would this include hybrid, GMOed, additive/hormone enriched basic food stuffs?

    Not considered "processed", per se, but largely created/manufactured.

  15. #15
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    26,087
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    People in hot, tropical climates need more salt than those that live in a temperate climate.
    Sure do. Us temperate zone folks need a big change in habit when living here. You can't get enough water or enough salt.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 05:18 AM
    Posts
    5,616
    I just drink a sponsor a day cheap enough in 7/11.
    Per 325 ml

    Calories 150 Sodium 125 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 39 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 39 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin C 200%

  17. #17
    Member sranchito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2016 @ 11:39 PM
    Location
    Burleigh, TX
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by crippen View Post
    Just had two friends who play golf really feeling funny on the golf course. One actually passed out,the other nearly did. Talking to them after the events,thought the symptoms sounded familiar so had a quick Google on them. Turns out they were both suffering from Salt Deficiency.I have had some kidney trouble in the past and have to watch my salt input. Some days I am just dying for McThai (!) chips with all their salt.They are now taking Oreda salt sachets and all ok now. Their problems include feeling faint,muscle aches,lack of energy and generally feeling crap.

    Symptoms of salt deficiency | SteadyHealth.com


    Some of the most common symptoms of salt deficiencies are fatigue, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps and nausea. If the condition worsens seizures and coma can appear. In rare cases, severe hyponatremia in combination with other conditions can even cause death.


    Any of this sound familiar???
    Don't know how anyone could get a salt deficiency in Thailand? There is nam plaa everywhere and on near everything we eat there. Not to mention Healthy Boy and a host of other sauces. Guess anything is possible.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    9,171
    Electrolytes are good, especially if you are out and about on the golf course, on any construction site here, or playing sports. Think that dehydration happens to a lot of people here, without them realising the symptoms..

    Fruit, especially bananas are great for potassium, zinc, etc also.

  19. #19
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ beer has a lot of those things too.

  20. #20
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    25,936
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekyman View Post
    I am no health expert - but I watched a health programme recently stating that the average westerner consumed more than 3 times the recommended salt intake.

    It stated that this lead to early deaths high blood pressure and coronary disease - I thought we were all getting too much.
    Yes, that's probably the average person living in the west with all the processed foods.
    It's something I've been wondering about, I eat very little processed food and try to minimize my salt intake as i've been led to believe it causes high blood pressure.

  21. #21
    Member
    brisie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2017 @ 03:11 AM
    Location
    mekong ice glaciers
    Posts
    864
    My pharmacist put me on to this but I can't work out why every now and then I get a raging hard on sometimes 5 minutes after taking them.


  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    The electrolytes are meant, usually to go into 250ml water, read packet.
    The concentration is important for maximum absorbtion.
    We carry them on the yachts in the first aid kit and use them lots.
    Especially when the "guests" (for guests read total wankers) have been drinking spirits all day. Beer ok... 95% water.
    I don't know if this is true... and I don't post serious links cos everything on the internet is lies... according to Ant.
    But..
    When they introduced these salts into Africa.. (children dying of dehydration) they introduced them in packets that require 330 ml of water.
    The theory being that a Coke bottle (it's the real thing.. don't you know) was 330 ml and there were bloody thousands of them about, so easy to get hold of and measure the right amount of nam.
    Dehydration and lack of salt is a serious issue, I joke about Laosy, but a top up is always nice.
    It doesn't necessarily come on slowly.. It can be minutes. If fact there was a case of a child walking in America that died in 2 hours from it.
    I work in hot countries at sea.... salt isn't a problem, we lick it off the guard rails of the yachts. Dehydration is a killer.
    Main symptoms are headaches, dizziness, confusion, and you stop sweating.
    Oh yes... death is a right give away.
    Falling asleep and waking up is not the same as passing out and coming to.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    palexxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by sranchito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crippen View Post
    Just had two friends who play golf really feeling funny on the golf course. One actually passed out,the other nearly did. Talking to them after the events,thought the symptoms sounded familiar so had a quick Google on them. Turns out they were both suffering from Salt Deficiency.I have had some kidney trouble in the past and have to watch my salt input. Some days I am just dying for McThai (!) chips with all their salt.They are now taking Oreda salt sachets and all ok now. Their problems include feeling faint,muscle aches,lack of energy and generally feeling crap.

    Symptoms of salt deficiency | SteadyHealth.com


    Some of the most common symptoms of salt deficiencies are fatigue, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps and nausea. If the condition worsens seizures and coma can appear. In rare cases, severe hyponatremia in combination with other conditions can even cause death.


    Any of this sound familiar???
    Don't know how anyone could get a salt deficiency in Thailand? There is nam plaa everywhere and on near everything we eat there. Not to mention Healthy Boy and a host of other sauces. Guess anything is possible.


    Plus of course MSG, they sell it by the sackfull in Macro.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abe Lincoln.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Also.
    If you eat alot of protein you must drink water.
    You need water to process proteins.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Posts
    9,216
    I've told that coconut water is one of the best electrolyte drinks that you can have.

    All natural, low GI and is good for you.This can't be correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •