Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997

    Healthy Vegetarian Food

    Can anyone tell me if healthy veggie protein sources like nuts & legumes are readily prepared in thai meals? (don't recall seeing any on my last visit) Or is it basically tofu and eggs? (and the stuff that looks like meat but isn't and gives me really bad wind and indigestion- tastes ok though). I heard some people say tofu isn't good to eat too much of...

    I could pretty much just live on vegetables, rice, salad and soup but obviously I need protein too.
    and he just stands there, waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Loads of cashew nuts in this dish.


  3. #3
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,028
    Nearly all vegetarian restaurants and shops in Thailand will sell the dehydrated protein you mentioned, but the better ones will sell faux duck and red pork.

  4. #4
    mc2
    mc2 is offline
    Member mc2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 01:28 AM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGoodhead View Post
    Can anyone tell me if healthy veggie protein sources like nuts & legumes are readily prepared in thai meals? (don't recall seeing any on my last visit) Or is it basically tofu and eggs? (and the stuff that looks like meat but isn't and gives me really bad wind and indigestion- tastes ok though). I heard some people say tofu isn't good to eat too much of...

    I could pretty much just live on vegetables, rice, salad and soup but obviously I need protein too.

    spirulina is an excellent food suppliment for vegetarians . i can recommend itfrom my own positive experiences

  5. #5
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997
    Sir Wilson could you not get a bigger pic? and that's meat in there right?

    What does spirulina do mc2?

    That's good ray but unfortunately it tends to give me bad wind... guess I could stock up on rennies.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,028
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey
    the better ones will sell faux duck and red pork.
    .....

  7. #7
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997
    ^that's still made of the same stuff....right?

  8. #8
    mc2
    mc2 is offline
    Member mc2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 01:28 AM
    Posts
    907
    you can use it to correct deficiencies in your diet since spirulina contains high levels of just about every important vitimin, mineral, amino acid that is important for the human body, particulary those that are normally hard to find in vegetables . NASA includes it in the diet of astronauts . its an alge
    unfortuantly can be expensive .

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2 View Post


    spirulina is an excellent food suppliment for vegetarians . i can recommend itfrom my own positive experiences
    Spirulina, surely, doesn't get enough press and positive spin for it's rather famous nutritional aspects. Some circles consider it a wonder food - as it is reasonably easy and simple to process, don't need special sub-climates, any learned person can develop their own, etc. Probably why the 'alternative' food movements tend to shun spirulina....it's not profitable, yet.

  10. #10
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997
    So any idea where I would find it in Thailand?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Spirulina.............

    Does it go with chips ?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    3,566
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGoodhead View Post
    So any idea where I would find it in Thailand?

    Chorrella is better than Spirulina, but not available in Thailand, least I have never seen. Spirulina is readily available as it manufactured here, couple of shops in Pattaya sell it, where are you?

  13. #13
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    Beware if eating out, Holly. Very few Thai dishes contain no animal additives, as fish & oyster sauce are used even in so-called vegetarian dishes.

    If you're a vegan, you'll have to compromise your principles or not eat out much.

    I never found many Thai restaurants that had protein (apart from tofu, which I hate) in their dishes. I only found one in Hua Hin (where I lived) that did soya protein.

  14. #14
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Airportwo
    Chorrella is better than Spirulina, but not available in Thailand, least I have never seen. Spirulina is readily available as it manufactured here, couple of shops in Pattaya sell it, where are you?
    I'll be in Chiang Mai...


    Quote Originally Posted by November Rain
    Beware if eating out, Holly. Very few Thai dishes contain no animal additives, as fish & oyster sauce are used even in so-called vegetarian dishes.

    If you're a vegan, you'll have to compromise your principles or not eat out much.

    I never found many Thai restaurants that had protein (apart from tofu, which I hate) in their dishes. I only found one in Hua Hin (where I lived) that did soya protein.
    Yeah unless eating in a veggie restaurant I kind of have to compromise with the fish sauce as they seem to put it in everything, I can't really say no msg AND no fish sauce can I? lol they'll think I'm crazy... I don't mind tofu (can't stand it soft though).

    In Chiang Mai there seem to be quite a few places (not your average thai stall however) where you can get soya protein stuff, but I think legumes on the whole would be more healthy. Guess it's just not something thais like to eat.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 06:38 PM
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Airportwo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGoodhead View Post
    So any idea where I would find it in Thailand?

    Chorrella is better than Spirulina, but not available in Thailand, least I have never seen. Spirulina is readily available as it manufactured here, couple of shops in Pattaya sell it, where are you?
    Tell me where it is available in Pattaya, please.

  16. #16
    Boxed Member
    Nawty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    in a state of mind
    Posts
    9,711
    The best vegetarian dishes always come with a side order of steak, medium, char grilled.

  17. #17
    mc2
    mc2 is offline
    Member mc2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 01:28 AM
    Posts
    907
    ive seen spirulina sold in boots chemists but it is in capsule form and therefore quite expensive for the total gms. i normally buy in bulk then divide it up and freeze it then consume it over a 2-3 month period. not sure where to buy in bulk in thailand though, however i have heard there is a spirulina farm in chiang mai so can't be too hard to find

  18. #18
    R.I.P.
    toslti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    Location
    Wongamat, Pattaya
    Posts
    2,038
    The words 'Healthy and Vegetarian' seem to be total contradictions. It's like 'fighting for peace', 'military intelligence', 'American irony'... now apparently you need to eat algae?..you mean like snails eat in fish tanks?

  19. #19
    mc2
    mc2 is offline
    Member mc2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 01:28 AM
    Posts
    907
    You do realise those sausages you eat contains ear snout and cheek flesh, not to mention the increased risk of heart disease and cancer...

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    getting all that pesticide ,, insecticide of the veggie before eating would be my concern,,especially in asia !!
    don't they still use stuff in some places,, that was banned in the west 60 years ago.

  21. #21
    Member
    HollyGoodhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    997
    ^no idea. What about all the crap they probably feed the animals too though?
    You can only take it so far I guess.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    you can, at some pharmacies get something that will wash all that shit off the veggie ,much safer to do this yourself at home and NOT rely on restaurants to do the washing.
    if you use only water,, it's a bit like washing your hands without soap.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    3,566
    ^ White vinegar and water supposed to do the job!

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    if you are getting on to being a senior citizen ,,then that shit stays in the body and a build-up will take place .
    and you know what that can cause .
    does sodium bicarbonate work as well ?
    maybe some of you may know substances they use to fertilise crops in los ,also.
    would rather not mention here as i'm about to have my dinner.
    take care.
    you know your mother would want you too.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Pol the Pot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    22-02-2012 @ 03:37 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    1,643
    When was DDT banned in the West?

    But I'd agree, SEA raised veggies are full of pesticides and fertilizers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •