Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341

    Vegan food. Why don't they use garlic and onion?

    I eat at least one veggie dish a day and like to go to Jay food restaurants.

    One question. Of all the delicious vegetables, why don't they use garlic and onions?

  2. #2
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,513
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    I eat at least one veggie dish a day and like to go to Jay food restaurants.

    One question. Of all the delicious vegetables, why don't they use garlic and onions?
    Because "jeh" or "jay" is not vegitarian - its like super vegan plus.

    Both onion and garlic "kill" the plant - you dig it up and so it no longer continues to grow.

    There is vegetarian, there is vegan and then there is Jay food!

  3. #3
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    ^ Wow!

    I never knew that. Thanks!

    So not even a snifter of fish sauce or shrimp paste anywhere then? That's gotta be a first for T'land!

  4. #4
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 02:06 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    I could be wrong about this but I thought the not eating alliums came from Chinese practices - they were thought to disturb your poise and tranquility, making you horny and bad-tempered.

  5. #5
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    ^ Interesting point.

    Jay food restaurants all have Chinese writing outside. I'd never even considered that.

    I can't say that either vegetable gives me the horn though, but garlic keeping mosquitoes away certainly doesn't make me bad tempered!
    Last edited by 2Prick; 23-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    ^ Wow!

    I never knew that. Thanks!

    So not even a snifter of fish sauce or shrimp paste anywhere then? That's gotta be a first for T'land!
    The base for Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and most fish sauces is anchovies. I only know this because my lunatic first wife wouldn't touch any of it - couldn't bear to hear the little fishies scream.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    The base for soy sauce is soya beans. No fish in any soy sauce that I have seen.

  8. #8
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    My error - misread part of an article, which was actually commenting on fish sauce with soy sauce in it as well.

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    Actually, many use mushrooms as part of their diets and these make for interesting simulated "meat," dishes along with the use of soya bean cake.

    One other prohibitive if one is obsessed with being totally vegan is to stop the use of all things hot,spicy or otherwise pungent. Chiles of any description are out! disturbes the inner peace of ones body digestive tract.

    Doing so, it keeps one's body consciousness alert which if one meditates is definitely something he/she wants to forget about. Red meat as well requires immense effort on one's digestive tract and also keeps ones attention away from their meditative practice.

    It is recommended that you wait three hours after eating before you practice meditation so the body can fully digest its nourishment.

    Sorry if I'm off topic.

  10. #10
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    One other prohibitive if one is obsessed with being totally vegan is to stop the use of all things hot,spicy or otherwise pungent. Chiles of any description are out! disturbes the inner peace of ones body digestive tract.
    Now, now. They liven up the blandest of foods, prevent cancer, reduce aging and produce fantastic farts.

  11. #11
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    ^So you've been smelling girls bicycle seats again 2Prick?

  12. #12
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,910
    garlic is particularly healthy.

    Why do these vegetarian, vegan meditating types always seem insipid and pale.

  13. #13
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    ^No sun. Always meditating.

  14. #14
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    ^No sun. Always meditating.
    Can't they do it in the sun?

    They need to eat more dead animals.
    Last edited by Cujo; 25-04-2013 at 01:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Grower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 02:21 PM
    Location
    Almost Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888
    The base for soy sauce is soya beans. No fish in any soy sauce that I have seen.
    Yep. I had to do a double take on that one...

  16. #16
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    garlic is particularly healthy.

    Why do these vegetarian, vegan meditating types always seem insipid and pale.
    Because man is biologically an omnivore, not a herbivore. However they cut it, they pay a physical price for their belief system.

  17. #17
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    There might be something in this. Those wise old Chinese.

    Think about hot-tempered Latino lovers (male and female) and the amount of garlic and onion they eat in their cuisines!

  18. #18
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    There might be something in this. Those wise old Chinese.

    Think about hot-tempered Latino lovers (male and female) and the amount of garlic and onion they eat in their cuisines!
    People here are obviously not familiar with Chinese food (or Chinese people)
    Last edited by Cujo; 25-04-2013 at 02:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    They need to eat more dead animals.
    Actually, John Muir was a vegetarian and when asked why since he was killing the vegetables, he replied, because plants don't scream as loud when you kill them.

    Could have been Bernard Shaw, I forget the place I read that one.

    John Muir also tied himself to the top of a three hundred foot Giant Redwood tree before a storm hit Yosemite Valley so he could understand what it was like to be a Giant Redwood in a huge thunder and lightening storm. He also walked across America from the Appalachian Mountains to California doing the naturalist recording of plants and trees he found along the way. Sort of a Darwin of North America.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    alwarner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Location
    Location: Location.
    Posts
    5,126
    I'll have to see if I can get hold of any of his books. I hadn't heard of Muir before - cheers.

  21. #21
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    They need to eat more dead animals.
    Actually, John Muir was a vegetarian and when asked why since he was killing the vegetables, he replied, because plants don't scream as loud when you kill them.

    Could have been Bernard Shaw, I forget the place I read that one.

    John Muir also tied himself to the top of a three hundred foot Giant Redwood tree before a storm hit Yosemite Valley so he could understand what it was like to be a Giant Redwood in a huge thunder and lightening storm. He also walked across America from the Appalachian Mountains to California doing the naturalist recording of plants and trees he found along the way. Sort of a Darwin of North America.
    Why are you telling us this?
    And who is John Muir??
    "In my professional assessment as an intelligence officer, Trump has a reflexive, defensive, monumentally narcissistic personality, for whom the facts and national interest are irrelevant, and the only thing that counts is whatever gives personal advantage and directs attention to himself."

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    Why are you telling us this? And who is John Muir??
    Do you read posts or just make replies? Com'on Koojo, get a grip. He was a late 1890's American Naturalist a la David Theroue, "Walden Pond." The difference is that John Muir traveled well beyond his little pond in his search of nature and its beginnings and life. His travels across America led to the establishment of the John Muir Trail, the making of Yosemite a National Park, his writings and sketches forever saved the plants, insects and wildlife to be found in his travels for millions of common people as well as naturalists around the world. Quite an interesting person and lived a very unique life. He had a House in Martinez California and its there today and can be visited daily. Much of his personal things are on view there.

    I got interested in him as I was doing a re-vamp on a light oils unit at Shell Oil in Martinez during the 80's. I discovered his home and began reading his bio and other books about his work and travels. I think you'd enjoy some of his stuff if you've ever been to Yosemite Valley or visited the Giant Redwoods of Northern California.

  23. #23
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    Why are you telling us this? And who is John Muir??
    Do you read posts or just make replies?
    I hadn't noticed his name in previous posts in this thread, and having gone back through I still don't.

  24. #24
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    ^Fair enough Koojo.

  25. #25
    R.I.P

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    31-10-2014 @ 05:21 PM
    Location
    nong khai
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooheekock View Post
    I could be wrong about this but I thought the not eating alliums came from Chinese practices - they were thought to disturb your poise and tranquility, making you horny and bad-tempered.

    IT WORKS!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •