Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084

    what's the most exotic food that has passed your lips?

    Menu items sampled thus far:

    porcupine
    crocodile
    squirrel
    zebra
    kangaroo
    snake
    horse
    ostrich

    items strictly rejected:

    monitor lizard
    bears paw
    sea cucumber
    monkey
    chicken feet
    insects

  2. #2
    Balls to Monty
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888
    what's the most exotic food that has passed your lips?
    Everything served by my Khmer GFs amazing sister in Phnom Penh especially the tiny thumbnail size crabs in lime and pepper sauce (one direction only)

    Some indeterminate sort of curry stuff at central market Phnom Penh (both directions)

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    I've got to say balut look pretty vile as well, are you a fan Davis?
    Last edited by draco888; 06-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54N
    Posts
    11,353
    I was in a forest in England and saw one of these Alice In Wonderland mushrooms called Fly Agaric
    they are as big as your hand
    Now this fella is highly hallucinogenic but comes with a risk of poisoning and death
    anyway i had a nibble and it was real strong tasting [ nothing like chicken ]
    but not enough to disappear down a rabbit hole or drop dead .


  5. #5
    Member Treetop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I was in a forest in England and saw one of these Alice In Wonderland mushrooms called Fly Agaric
    they are as big as your hand
    Now this fella is highly hallucinogenic but comes with a risk of poisoning and death
    anyway i had a nibble and it was real strong tasting [ nothing like chicken ]
    but not enough to disappear down a rabbit hole or drop dead .

    you have to know how to prepare these things properly if you want to go on a trip. you don't just nibble on them unless you feel like dying.

    For me the most exotic food is probably the live fire ant eggs which are a delicacy up in Issan. Pretty good actually. You feel them wriggle and if they are just out of the egg you get a nice acid kick from their developing nastiness.
    Last edited by Treetop; 05-10-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: smelling err

  6. #6
    Fuck it
    Satonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, etc..
    Posts
    3,113
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888
    Menu items sampled thus far:

    porcupine
    How was that?

  7. #7
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:41 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,586
    Just you wait until withnall gets involved with this thread. I mean. The things he's done with workaday livestock just don't bear thinking about.

    Unless you also have a penchant for tearing the live flesh off of an unsuspecting herd of charging wilderbeast.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Satonic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888
    Menu items sampled thus far:

    porcupine
    How was that?
    fatty, could still see where the quills attached to skin. in summary really quite disgusting actually.

  9. #9
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:41 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,586
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888
    monitor lizard
    Tis but a delicacy.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    i also couldn't quite get round to ordering bat....

  11. #11
    Newbie Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    11-06-2014 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    DK & Kanthalak
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I was in a forest in England and saw one of these Alice In Wonderland mushrooms called Fly Agaric

    We have the same here in DK. Some claim that the vikings used them before battle, to " lose the fear" and go beserk ( prob. Not correct spelled )

    I guess they are somewhat strong ? We like to belive we dominatede the north of europe at that time

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    7,472
    Dry roasted termites are good with beer...so are dry roasted grasshoppers.

    Mot Daeng are great in an omelette.

    Had shredded jellyfish as revenge for being stung by one.

    Sea cucumber... took a lot to keep that down...hard to describe the feeling when eating...but pleasant does not come to mind.

    Rat or rice mouse was not bad but I shied away from eating dog...

    Most exotic to date has to be buffalo placenta....

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    draco888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    13-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Dry roasted termites are good with beer...so are dry roasted grasshoppers.

    Mot Daeng are great in an omelette.

    Had shredded jellyfish as revenge for being stung by one.

    Sea cucumber... took a lot to keep that down...hard to describe the feeling when eating...but pleasant does not come to mind.

    Rat or rice mouse was not bad but I shied away from eating dog...

    Most exotic to date has to be buffalo placenta....
    Buffalo placenta??? I think you have just won top honours, cannot see anyone beating that.......

  14. #14
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    02-11-2015 @ 10:41 AM
    Posts
    43
    Human placenta.

  15. #15
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by draco888 View Post
    I've got to say balut look pretty vile as well, are you a fan Davis?
    I ate one once, many years ago, just so I could say I'd done it - but it was much less developed than that, plus I tried not to look at it. I also tried durian once, for the same reason - it was vile.

    Woodchuck (gopher) - US. Monkey, monitor lizard (Cambodia).

  16. #16
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    kangaroo, croc, camel, all often, dog, rat (once).
    Weirdest was a live pan fried fish.
    They take it out of the tank, gut, scale and fry it in about 20 seconds and it's still flopping on the plate as you eat it.
    Same same drunken lobster.

    refused;
    insects live and dead.
    offal of all sorts
    pretty much anything that lives on the sea floor.
    Whiskey steeped in tiger bones.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    28,981
    Chicken feet, fried insects, and ant eggs all seem normal to me now. Of all the other things I've eaten, balut, bear, ostrich, zebra, crocodile, wildebeest, and a house cat, the worst of the worst was raw sea urchin. Never have I had anything so awful in my mouth put there intentionally. The house cat was pretty foul also.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,510
    Like davis i tried the balut just to cross it of the list, never again.

    Foods that i will never try

    Donkey penis popular in china






    Uterus of pig









  19. #19
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    I think Draco hit it, but I've eaten snake a number of times. Rattlesnake in the US (rattlesnake round-ups are big), and a number of different types in Vietnam, Cambodia and once here in the PI.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    15-07-2019 @ 02:37 PM
    Posts
    36,436
    Rocky Mountain Oysters, fresh off the branding grill...

  21. #21
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Rocky Mountain Oysters, fresh off the branding grill...
    That would be bull testicles, yes?

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    thailazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Rocky Mountain Oysters, fresh off the branding grill...
    That would be bull testicles, yes?
    Back in the high tech work days, had some work visitors I was hosting from Edinburgh so I took them to a rather rustic inn back in the mountains of Idaho called the Snake Pit. The beer flowed, the food flowed, and my good friends ordered a third helping of Rocky Mountain Oysters. One of them said they were so good and asked what were they. I thought all along they knew what they were eating. They got kinda silent for a while after I told them, but they finished the third order with no problem! Heck, look what's in haggis.
    Press On Regardless

  23. #23
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by thailazer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Rocky Mountain Oysters, fresh off the branding grill...
    That would be bull testicles, yes?
    Back in the high tech work days, had some work visitors I was hosting from Edinburgh so I took them to a rather rustic inn back in the mountains of Idaho called the Snake Pit. The beer flowed, the food flowed, and my good friends ordered a third helping of Rocky Mountain Oysters. One of them said they were so good and asked what were they. I thought all along they knew what they were eating. They got kinda silent for a while after I told them, but they finished the third order with no problem! Heck, look what's in haggis.
    True. Surprised nobody mentioned haggis. I would still have to put durian very high on my list for foul smell, taste and texture.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    28,981
    Fruit bat in weird green sauce
    Reindeer


    Anyone who eats hot dogs or bologna already ate pig testicles and uterus in disguise.

  25. #25
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    I've eaten field rats, but I would draw the line at bats - horrible creatures. Can't imagine there would be much meat on them anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •