Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-10-2017 @ 12:24 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,871

    Growing mangoes and harvesting

    We have 32 Mango trees on about 6 hectares of land and plan to get some output of it next season.
    The variety is awarded World sweetest fruit, called Carabao or Manila super. Well i had similar mango taste in Thailand or in India, however it's a good big fruit.

    I really do not have green hands, but with the help of good advice from the experienced people around here and the net, we should get from 40 to 60 tonnes with those trees. In good years they made over 200 boxes of 48 mango per box. this is then calibrated and rated A B or C, best variety A shall be around 60 boxes, B is major at 100 to 120 boxes and C makes the rest and is cheapest.

    The trees were planted by the grandfather of the wife, they are between 25 to 40 years of ages and are huge.

    Treating will start in october, once the rain stops, it should then be around 120 days before harvesting. This variety being sweet and very watery is prone to be easily attacked by microbes.

    We still have another 4 hectares were we will grow grafted Carabao trees, shall be 20 to 30 more trees coming there.
    To gather mango from seed takes around 10 years, but with grafting method time shall be cut to 3 years only.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2016 @ 09:19 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    44,058
    What are you going to treat them with?

    I've got a couple dozen Mango trees on 5 rai and the trees are 15 years old. Pump out too many when the season comes in and I give away 90% of them. Got one Apple Mango tree that puts out fruit too sour to eat.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-10-2017 @ 12:24 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,871
    ^ will come back with fertilizer and insecticide later on, still studying, but i am looking at what one guy told me, a fertilizer, cheap and extremely efficient, mango grow out of tree trunk ! They found this out by throwing away stuff from the chicken farm...

    This is all a trial, first year, they had some years, wrong work no output, they abandon it for a few years and now we purchased it, we might have anything from 1 tonne to 70 tonnes depending on luck, typhoons, correct stuff we use and hard work of the 2 bro in laws...




    Well i think this thread will be cut short as i tried 4 times to insert picture from gallery, working with mozilla and it just wont upload image, sorry...
    Last edited by forreachingme; 15-09-2011 at 09:06 AM.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    palexxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by forreachingme View Post
    Treating will start in october, once the rain stops, it should then be around 120 days before harvesting.
    What do you mean by 'treating'?

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-10-2017 @ 12:24 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,871
    ^ spraying stuff !
    Insecticides and fertlizers...Most eco natural possible way
    Marking the trees to record work and output per tree
    Cutting bad branches, not sure what season this has to be done
    and
    Preparing scaffolding with bamboo
    Making Bamboo shelter for short storing after harvest...


    I'll gladly follow up the 6 month of process doing this on this thread, but since posting pics from gallery does not work with Mozilla, and i not have nor like photobucket and such, only words will not do, so probably i will andandon the follow up quite soon. Any advice why Mozilla does not work with gallery ?
    Chrome does not work as well, in edit function at least, cannot re insert images in past replies...
    My explorer is old and i not actually wish to sponsor Bill to get a new one.
    Last edited by forreachingme; 15-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    19-06-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    Location
    Isaan
    Posts
    335
    Mangoes are in gross over supply in Thailand. Unless you have an buyer or plan to export it may be hard to sell your harvest. I would ensure you have a buyer first before going through all the labor.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-10-2017 @ 12:24 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,871
    Yep, buyers are there... they supply special boxes to pack in
    they come and pick up daily at season, coz 1 week if not at 12 C and 2 week if at 12 C, short shelf life those mangoes...

    they have facility for the treatment to export to honk kong and Japan mainly, i believe it is just a temperature regulated water bath at 45 C for some time, to kill possible germs and wash.

    this is in northern Phils not Thailand...

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-10-2017 @ 12:24 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,871
    Best complete read found around, here linky :

    Guide to Growing Organic Mango With Natural Farming System


    Many things around the web regarding organic ways of pesticide and fertilizing, as well for treating after harvesting.

    Guide to Growing Organic Mango EntrePinoys Atbp.

    Morelinks to come, but the first above is very complete and interesting.

    As i understood, Neem is a very good plant to have handy against pest and garlic and ginger mix with neem does a great job, in a natural way.

    Cow dung is good to have around as well.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    01-10-2016 @ 01:11 PM
    Posts
    2
    Hi,
    This is Korea.
    I'm trying to find the way to manage an organic mango farm on 10 hectares of land at least, in Thailand or Vietnam, for my friend. He will run the mango farm there and expot mango to Korea.
    Can you help me to find the farm? Rent is preferred.
    Last edited by DH Woo; 23-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    1,909
    Some mango farmers force their trees to flower by spraying chemicals. This is usually done during off mango seasons. Be careful if you do this, especially if your farm is in PI. Rain, too much wind, or a combination of both could cause the flowers to fall. You could loose money this way. This is a huge gamble which could be very financially rewarding if played right, and if you get lucky with the weather because mango prices during off season are extremely high. Just don't spray if the tree is leafing reddish/purplish young mango leaves. Wait til the new leaves have matured, or spray the other branches that are ready and leave that one for next time.

    As for cutting mango branches, this is usually done after harvest. You cut the branches that are not needed, especially those ones that the sunlight cannot reach, as they do not bear good quality fruits.
    I am so unlucky that if I fall into a barrel full of D*ick**s, I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Posts
    3,833
    3 mates of mine invested in mango farms in the Northern Territory.
    They all went bust.


  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    3 mates of mine invested in mango farms in the Northern Territory.
    They all went bust.

    Yeah, its a very risky investment, but a very rewarding one if you get lucky. The real winners are the Mango Fruit owners because they just rent out their plants to investors. Investors on the other hand deal with shitloads of problems like the operational cost, (chemicals, manpower, even the paper bags used to wrap the fruits with) weather, (rain, wind) insects. That's too many variables that could go wrong before you start to see profit.
    Last edited by GracelessFawn; 13-10-2016 at 10:09 AM.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    What are you going to treat them with?

    I've got a couple dozen Mango trees on 5 rai and the trees are 15 years old. Pump out too many when the season comes in and I give away 90% of them. Got one Apple Mango tree that puts out fruit too sour to eat.
    Two to three months before flowering use a balanced fertilizer like 14-14-14.

    During flowering use potassium and nitrogen, like 17-0-17 fertilizers. Do not use urea fertilizer as it will cause the flowers to fall off.

    Two months before the fruits ripen use 17-0-17 and 0-0-60 (muriate of potash) in equal amounts. Use one kilo of the mixture for every 10 kilos of fruits.

    Note: Fertilize by making 10 holes, 3-4 feet away from the trunk. Hole deep is 3-6 inches.

    Enjoy the sweet fruits!

  14. #14
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Graceless , You are dead on about the Urea , a few years ago I used a 50/50 mix of urea and normal fertiliser on my big tree which normally gives massive yields , that year the yield was at least 70% down ,my mate said it was due to the Urea ,since then I have had bumber crops every year

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Graceless , You are dead on about the Urea , a few years ago I used a 50/50 mix of urea and normal fertiliser on my big tree which normally gives massive yields , that year the yield was at least 70% down ,my mate said it was due to the Urea ,since then I have had bumber crops every year
    Hope your tree recovers soon. Try applying trace elements like rhizocote mixed with balanced fertilizer.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Posts
    34,586
    Did you study this at uni, Fawn?...Or is it accumulated knowledge from experience?...Did you grow up "farming?"...

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Did you study this at uni, Fawn?...Or is it accumulated knowledge from experience?...Did you grow up "farming?"...

    Just another passerby that keenly observes BBoy.

  18. #18
    PAG
    PAG is online now
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Did you study this at uni, Fawn?...Or is it accumulated knowledge from experience?...Did you grow up "farming?"...

    Just another passerby that keenly observes BBoy.

  19. #19
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Graceless , You are dead on about the Urea , a few years ago I used a 50/50 mix of urea and normal fertiliser on my big tree which normally gives massive yields , that year the yield was at least 70% down ,my mate said it was due to the Urea ,since then I have had bumber crops every year
    Hope your tree recovers soon. Try applying trace elements like rhizocote mixed with balanced fertilizer.
    Yeah its back to normal now, Last year was another bumber crop

  20. #20
    Newbie rakukenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    21-04-2017 @ 03:12 PM
    Location
    Yarnell, AZ USA/Khon Kaen Province, Thailand-Farm Chicken
    Posts
    6
    Howdy~
    There is a Kasetsart University Dept of Horticulture Research Center at Pak Chong. We have been trying to talk to someone at the facility about "Grafted Hass Avocado Trees." They do not answer the phone numbers we have been given. Does anyone know how to reach them? Also, anyone in production on the Korat Plateau with Avocados? Would appreciate some input on success/failure? Thanks, kw

  21. #21
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by rakukenny
    We have been trying to talk to someone at the facility about "Grafted Hass Avocado Trees."
    If you can get that going, I'll pray for people to invest...

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    8,790
    There's some help on here. I shouldn't really but.............Growing Avocados - Farming in Thailand Forum - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

  23. #23
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Teakdoor forum upgrade office
    Posts
    11,779
    Quote Originally Posted by rakukenny View Post
    Howdy~
    There is a Kasetsart University Dept of Horticulture Research Center at Pak Chong. We have been trying to talk to someone at the facility about "Grafted Hass Avocado Trees." They do not answer the phone numbers we have been given. Does anyone know how to reach them?
    Do you use Facebook?

    https://th-th.facebook.com/สถานีวิจั...3512076089689/

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rakukenny View Post
    Howdy~
    There is a Kasetsart University Dept of Horticulture Research Center at Pak Chong. We have been trying to talk to someone at the facility about "Grafted Hass Avocado Trees." They do not answer the phone numbers we have been given. Does anyone know how to reach them?
    Do you use Facebook?

    https://th-th.facebook.com/สถานีวิจั...3512076089689/

    Nice find, Nev...
    Could be informative.


  25. #25
    Member
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    954
    The problem with Mangoes is harvesting and ripening. Mangoes ripen best at 20C to 23C and storage temp is between 10C and 13C depending on ripe or unripe. In Oz they use CA rooms with ethylene ideal RH is 95%. Al very expensive in the initial set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •