Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie bkkstoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    20-08-2012 @ 02:41 PM
    Location
    Udon Thani
    Posts
    44

    Rubber Tree Tapping

    We have 1,500 rubber trees that are now over 7 years old and are even larger than the average because we consistently fertilized and also irrigated during the first 3 years.

    My problem is that I have decided to wait to start tapping the trees until the price if rubber goes on up...It seems like a waste of time to expend all that effort for such a small return...But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...I told my wife I never heard of such a thing, but I am not an expert in this and don't know the answer...

    Anyone has knowledge of this, I would appreciate some input

    Stoneman

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,048
    you can start tapping the trees now

    it doesn't do any harm not to tap them!

    I had a g/f whose family had rubber as their main income; they never said anything about damage being done to trees from not tapping, but you can overdo it

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    The price of rubber follows the price of oil. Futures predictions says rubber is stable until Christmas unless Iran and Isreal go to war. The rubber season will soon be apon us, well when it stops raining. The land owners round here rent the land to the peasants at a fixed price, it makes them work harder and also protect the trees better. A rubber tree is worth 1000 baht in wood value.
    How much land are you 1500 trees on? And of course they wanna cut, until they do they no have money. Also where is the the land and what type of rubber do you have? 600 or 6610?

  4. #4
    Newbie bkkstoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    20-08-2012 @ 02:41 PM
    Location
    Udon Thani
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by the dogcatcher View Post
    The price of rubber follows the price of oil. Futures predictions says rubber is stable until Christmas unless Iran and Isreal go to war. The rubber season will soon be apon us, well when it stops raining. The land owners round here rent the land to the peasants at a fixed price, it makes them work harder and also protect the trees better. A rubber tree is worth 1000 baht in wood value.
    How much land are you 1500 trees on? And of course they wanna cut, until they do they no have money. Also where is the the land and what type of rubber do you have? 600 or 6610?
    The trees are on 23 rai of land owned by my wife...The land is located about 60km west and 20km south of Nong Khai...The trees are all RIM 600...

    Stoneman

  5. #5
    Newbie bkkstoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    20-08-2012 @ 02:41 PM
    Location
    Udon Thani
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    you can start tapping the trees now

    it doesn't do any harm not to tap them!

    I had a g/f whose family had rubber as their main income; they never said anything about damage being done to trees from not tapping, but you can overdo it
    Dr...Thanks for the advice..It is good to have confirmation of my thoughts...Am thinking that we will wait...

    Stoneman

  6. #6
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,577
    ^what is the price of rubber these days, and how much would that equate to say per month per hundred rubber trees, or whatever????

    Reason i ask is that i have about 3,000 rubber trees, only 3 1/2 years old though so got about the same again to wait before tapping.
    Independence day - June 23 for Brits.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by bkkstoneman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    you can start tapping the trees now

    it doesn't do any harm not to tap them!

    I had a g/f whose family had rubber as their main income; they never said anything about damage being done to trees from not tapping, but you can overdo it
    Dr...Thanks for the advice..It is good to have confirmation of my thoughts...Am thinking that we will wait...

    Stoneman

    you can wait, but if someone wants to tap them properly without damage to the trees, then it is income for them and maybe some for you

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    You can tap the trees now, at 7 years old. Don't get muppets to do it though. Your yeild will depend on the land. Our yeild in Rayong is poor, in Malysia the yeilds are better. Futures prices I think are 70 baht a kilo for the mats, can't remember but as I said rubber prices follow oil. If Iran cuts off the oil then opec say they have reserves enough, so for now prices are stable. You cannot tap the rubber in the rain, which you have plenty more to come I think. I don't see the point in waiting. Also your planting density feels low, i'm not sure but approx 75 a rai seems low.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    ^what is the price of rubber these days, and how much would that equate to say per month per hundred rubber trees, or whatever????

    Reason i ask is that i have about 3,000 rubber trees, only 3 1/2 years old though so got about the same again to wait before tapping.
    Again depends on yield. RM 600 is about 250 kg per rai per year. 6610 can be double that and there are gas injection methods that can make it even more. I've never seen that one in action. I think the raw latex prices at mo are 50 baht a kilo, as I said goes with oil price.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    18-09-2014 @ 08:50 PM
    Posts
    444
    Waiing for the rubber price to rise all your trees will be dead its like growing corn and waiting 6 months for the price to rise and your crop is gone. Start tapping now. By the way how much are you looking to get per kilo.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    Waiing for the rubber price to rise all your trees will be dead its like growing corn and waiting 6 months for the price to rise and your crop is gone. Start tapping now. By the way how much are you looking to get per kilo.
    Raw, isn't it 50 baht a kilo?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,251
    But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...
    Cui bono? Don't you think if it weren't good for the trees not to be tapped that they would've gone extinct long before humans ever set foot on the earth. No my friend, they're just eager to get their hands on some cash. You make the call, not them. Just say no; and wait.
    Eat more Cheezy Poofs!

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    the dogcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    24-12-2015 @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    My body is not a temple, It's the hell where I reside.
    Posts
    5,708
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut View Post
    But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...
    Cui bono? Don't you think if it weren't good for the trees not to be tapped that they would've gone extinct long before humans ever set foot on the earth. No my friend, they're just eager to get their hands on some cash. You make the call, not them. Just say no; and wait.
    Yes, but 7 years is the norm.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    29-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Posts
    426
    Tap the bloody trees mate-get some income.
    Why dont people grow trees like teak?
    Twelve year cycle and is worth shitloads.
    Luxury hardwoods are the best investment,believe me.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    165
    "Why dont people grow trees like teak?
    Twelve year cycle and is worth shitloads."

    Cambtek can you explain what a twelve year cycle is.
    I am very interested in growing teak.

  16. #16
    Member kiwinev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:48 PM
    Location
    Khobar, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by bkkstoneman View Post
    We have 1,500 rubber trees that are now over 7 years old and are even larger than the average because we consistently fertilized and also irrigated during the first 3 years.

    My problem is that I have decided to wait to start tapping the trees until the price if rubber goes on up...It seems like a waste of time to expend all that effort for such a small return...But, the family that is going to do the work for us and collect 40%(at least) of the money is trying to tell my wife that it is not good for the trees to let them go like this...I told my wife I never heard of such a thing, but I am not an expert in this and don't know the answer...

    Anyone has knowledge of this, I would appreciate some input

    Stoneman
    Time has gone by, did you tap or wait?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •