Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Breadfruit

  1. #26
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    Within the last three weeks it's woken up, produced leaf buds and now has flowered.

    Last edited by Begbie; 19-03-2017 at 03:18 PM.

  2. #27
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    Update

    This I believe is the male flower.




    And this is the female flower which develops into a fruit.


  3. #28
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Update

    This I believe is the male flower.




    And this is the female flower which develops into a fruit.


    Hmmm...

    Coming along nicely, Begs.

    Cheers!!


  4. #29
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    Loves the rain. Branches sprouting all over.


  5. #30
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,062
    Great!. I'm not much of an horticulturalist but I wonder if it's a good thing to be fruiting so early? High potassium soil, perhaps. You may need to stake the tree as the fruit may weigh it down at this early stage of life.
    Oh, I see you have .
    I'm as excited as an expectant god-father

  6. #31
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Within the last three weeks it's woken up, produced leaf buds and now has flowered.

    Begbie, where did you secure your breadfruit locally?
    Difficult to maintain the first year or two?

    I'm looking to plant a few for experimental novelty.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,062
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao
    I'm looking to plant a few for experimental novelty.
    Do that HuangLao. As informed in the OP and comments this is a good staple food and shade tree.
    You may have to wait a few years, although Begbie's tree is fruiting already, so maybe not such a long wait. It's definitely a long-term investment though.
    A couple of our trees were at least 30 m high, so your grandkids will benefit.

  8. #33
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post

    Begbie, where did you secure your breadfruit locally?
    Difficult to maintain the first year or two?

    I'm looking to plant a few for experimental novelty.
    I'm in Chiang Mai and bought the tree at Kumthian Markrt, which is the main garden market in town. I had to ask a few shops before I found it. I suspect there isn't much demand.

    The tree has been going crazy over the last month with all this rain. Getting very bushy with lots of branches. We had one fruit but unfortunately it fell off and wasn't spotted for a few days so started to rot.

  9. #34
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao
    I'm looking to plant a few for experimental novelty.
    Do that HuangLao. As informed in the OP and comments this is a good staple food and shade tree.
    You may have to wait a few years, although Begbie's tree is fruiting already, so maybe not such a long wait. It's definitely a long-term investment though.
    A couple of our trees were at least 30 m high, so your grandkids will benefit.
    Yeah, they are slow growers, yet hearty once established. And propagate naturally.

    Little is known about the nutritional benefits of breadfruit.
    Could easily fit into today's fashion of so-called "super foods".

  10. #35
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    27-01-2018 @ 09:15 AM
    Posts
    22
    Thai call it Sakeh, ton sakeh is the the tree.

    There are loads of different ones on the world, maybe the one grown in thailand isn't so nice?

    I have a similar fruit from Indonesia, artocarpus sericicarpus aka pedalai. Is in the same family and the tree looks the same.

  11. #36
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Begbie, where did you secure your breadfruit locally?
    Difficult to maintain the first year or two?

    I'm looking to plant a few for experimental novelty.
    So HL how are the breadfruit that you planted doing?

  12. #37
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by cando View Post
    Thai call it Sakeh, ton sakeh is the the tree.

    There are loads of different ones on the world, maybe the one grown in thailand isn't so nice?

    I have a similar fruit from Indonesia, artocarpus sericicarpus aka pedalai. Is in the same family and the tree looks the same.

    Yeah, the variety of breadfruit that does well here is of the Indo-Malay type, whereas the broader Pacific variety are not as easy to propagate on the SE Asian Mainland.

  13. #38
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    So HL how are the breadfruit that you planted doing?
    Still looking to make the first plunge.

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    So HL how are the breadfruit that you planted doing?
    I have been thinking to revive this thread with a question about how yours is doing.
    If you want some recipes, just ask.

  15. #40
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367
    No fruit in the last six months. The tree is fine though, very bushy.

  16. #41
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    27-01-2018 @ 09:15 AM
    Posts
    22
    Well i don't know anything about breadfruit but if you go to the parkingdeck of Central Chaengwattana in BKK you'll see a huge one in the garden of the house nextdoor.

    Also in my area i know some tree's and i've seen them in Hua Hin above the swimmingpools, also the Mandarin hotel in Pakchong has a huge one above the terrace. I wonder what they do if it has fruit and all guests are have breakfast underneath.

    I guess it's worth to order all seeds you can get (on the tropicalfruitforum.com) and see which one grows here.

  17. #42
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,367


    Taken in about a month ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •