Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member ChrisInCambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-01-2014 @ 04:51 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    174

    Looking for fruit trees that can withstand some serious punishment

    My wife's managed to swap a 800m2 piece of land we own with a small house on it about 30 minutes outside of Phnom Penh for a 4500m2 houseless plot across the street. The land backs onto a lake and partially floods at the lake end during the wet season.

    The neighbours all grow vegetables on the land during the months it's not flooded, we want to grow something on there but are looking for something with very low maintenance as we're just going to use it for a weekend place, so will only likely get out there once a fortnight, we also don't have any family out there or anything like that, so no one will be taking care of it when we're not there. The soil is very good so there's no concern there.

    So I would like advice on fruit trees / palms that:

    - Don't require regular maintenance (once established)
    - Don't mind potentially spending 2 months a year under water
    - Can make it through the hot season without additional water

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Posts
    14,878
    Let me know as my avocado, jackfruit, banana, and chompoo (rose apple) trees all died during the flood here. I know it was toxic water as well, but it was 6 weeks not two months. Good luck and I am looking forward to the responses. I booked mark the one about fast growing trees that popped up again last week.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    SEA Traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Location
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Let me know as my avocado, jackfruit, banana, and chompoo (rose apple) trees all died during the flood here. I know it was toxic water as well, but it was 6 weeks not two months. Good luck and I am looking forward to the responses. I booked mark the one about fast growing trees that popped up again last week.
    BTW AO, how are my avocado seeds that I gave you coming along? Have they sprouted any roots at all?

  4. #4
    Member isanmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    15-01-2016 @ 04:55 PM
    Location
    sydney, nong han udon thani
    Posts
    294
    I have been reading a little about a fruit from Bolivia called Achacha that is now being grown in North Queensland, Australia. Very similar to mangosteen.
    here's a link. Achacha - the sweet, tangy, refreshing tropical fruit

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Posts
    14,878
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler
    BTW AO, how are my avocado seeds that I gave you coming along? Have they sprouted any roots at all?
    One did I put it in a pot when we got home. But with no shade no nothing it sadly kick the guacamole bucket.

    Hoping to get the new grass in next week. Killing the wild grass we have always had has turned out to be a real chore.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat nevets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    16-02-2015 @ 12:11 PM
    Location
    PHETCHABURI
    Posts
    1,630
    The swop you made didnt sound like a good one , can you say what you gained by it.

  7. #7
    Member Borey the Bald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2016 @ 07:18 AM
    Location
    Sakon Nakhon
    Posts
    549
    The following is a list of trees found in a plot in the Tonle Sap floodplain, most common to less common. All survive in an area that is flooded a few months each year. Several have only the Cambodian name listed. Some, like the Ziziphus (jujube) produce fruit. But checking the scientific names on the internet, I found very little information. Perhaps using the Khmer names you can find something useful.




    Nș Khmer name/Thai name - Scientific name
    1 Rieng Teuk/Kradon/Chik naa - Barringtonia acutangula
    2 Phtol - Diospyros cambodiana
    3 Tauor - Terminalia cambodiana
    4 Chrakeng - Coccocera anisopodum
    5 Nho Teuk - Morinda persicaefolia
    6 Tien Prey - Vitex holoadenon
    7 Prabuoy - Croton caudatus
    8 Bay Traneub - Acacia spiralis
    9 Troas/Ben nam - Combretum trifoliatum (Swamp bushwillow)
    10 Phnom Phneng/Huling - Hymenocardia wallichii (Swamp cinnamon)
    11 Kandap Chang Ei/Ta kouang - Salacia verrucosa
    12 Prabach
    13 Khlei - Cudrania cambodiana
    14 Phnek Priep - Breynia rhamnoides
    15 Phkoam
    16 Voa Taeuk/?Lam duan? - Ipomoea chryseoides
    17 Phdao Teuk/Wai khring/Wai nam hang - Calamus palustris
    18 Sloat - Ficus heterophylla
    19 Lgnieng - Cratoxylon prunifera
    20 A Teang - Homalium brevidens
    21 Kandok
    22 Changkom Krapeu
    23 Tronom Ea Ot - Zizyphus sp.


    The following are a few fruit trees found in the floodplain in NE Thailand where they are wet for two to three months a year:


    Makog (Hog plum) - Spondias pinnata
    Gluai Noi/Nom maeo - Rauwenhoffia siamensis
    Saeow/Ma kok nam (Spanish plum) - Elaeocarpus hygrophilus
    Madan - Garcinia schomburgkiana
    Huling (swamp cinnamon) - Hymenocardia wallichii
    Last edited by Borey the Bald; 26-02-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Making the lists more readable

  8. #8
    ...................
    sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInCambo
    My wife's managed to swap a 800m2 piece of land we own with a small house on it about 30 minutes outside of Phnom Penh for a 4500m2 houseless plot across the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevets
    The swop you made didnt sound like a good one , can you say what you gained by it.
    800 sqm for 4500? sounds pretty good to me mate, unless thats a typo

  9. #9
    Member Borey the Bald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2016 @ 07:18 AM
    Location
    Sakon Nakhon
    Posts
    549
    Here are a few other fruit trees seen in the floodplain in NE Thailand:


    Scientific name, Thai name, Common name


    Canarium subulatum - Muk lium (Pili nut)

    Careya sphaerica - Ka don kok

    Crateva magna - Pak gum

    Garcinia cowa - Som mong/Chamuang (Kowa/Ganboji)

    Garcinia schomburgkiana - Madun (Madan)

    Microcos tomentosa - Lom kom

    Schleichera oleosa - Ta Khro/Mak Kho/Khmer: Pongro (Indian lactree)

    Syzygium cumini - Hwaa/Khmer: Pring bai (Black plum/Jambolan)

    Terminalia cambodiana - Peuai num (Cambodian almond)

  10. #10
    Member ChrisInCambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-01-2014 @ 04:51 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    174
    Borey the Bald, thanks that's a great answer, I'll take a look into those and report back.

    Gained about 3700m2, the house on the other one was a very basic provincial style house which could easily be rebuilt on the new plot for a few thousand USD. Anyway I didn't give the full details, it's not a direct swap. We're selling the current block for the same price as the owner of the larger plot across the street wants for his block. So it's a swap for us, but not for him.

    I think this is an interesting case of perspective. The seller is viewing it like a farmer, I'm viewing it like a resident. Where he sees a piece of land with limited farming options due to flooding, I see a piece of lake side property.
    The buyer of our block sees a ready to go house, with power, water, toilet and enough land to grow some things. When he sees the plot across the street he sees expense, back fill, power connection, water connection, house construction, fence construction.

  11. #11
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Borey the Bald View Post
    The following is a list of trees found in a plot in the Tonle Sap floodplain, most common to less common. All survive in an area that is flooded a few months each year. Several have only the Cambodian name listed. Some, like the Ziziphus (jujube) produce fruit. But checking the scientific names on the internet, I found very little information. Perhaps using the Khmer names you can find something useful.




    Nș Khmer name/Thai name - Scientific name
    1 Rieng Teuk/Kradon/Chik naa - Barringtonia acutangula
    2 Phtol - Diospyros cambodiana
    3 Tauor - Terminalia cambodiana
    4 Chrakeng - Coccocera anisopodum
    5 Nho Teuk - Morinda persicaefolia
    6 Tien Prey - Vitex holoadenon
    7 Prabuoy - Croton caudatus
    8 Bay Traneub - Acacia spiralis
    9 Troas/Ben nam - Combretum trifoliatum (Swamp bushwillow)
    10 Phnom Phneng/Huling - Hymenocardia wallichii (Swamp cinnamon)
    11 Kandap Chang Ei/Ta kouang - Salacia verrucosa
    12 Prabach
    13 Khlei - Cudrania cambodiana
    14 Phnek Priep - Breynia rhamnoides
    15 Phkoam
    16 Voa Taeuk/?Lam duan? - Ipomoea chryseoides
    17 Phdao Teuk/Wai khring/Wai nam hang - Calamus palustris
    18 Sloat - Ficus heterophylla
    19 Lgnieng - Cratoxylon prunifera
    20 A Teang - Homalium brevidens
    21 Kandok
    22 Changkom Krapeu
    23 Tronom Ea Ot - Zizyphus sp.


    The following are a few fruit trees found in the floodplain in NE Thailand where they are wet for two to three months a year:


    Makog (Hog plum) - Spondias pinnata
    Gluai Noi/Nom maeo - Rauwenhoffia siamensis
    Saeow/Ma kok nam (Spanish plum) - Elaeocarpus hygrophilus
    Madan - Garcinia schomburgkiana
    Huling (swamp cinnamon) - Hymenocardia wallichii
    Nice work, BtB.
    Many of the varieties that you list [Cambodian] will do well in the border provinces....because they're there already.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInCambo
    Where he sees a piece of land with limited farming options due to flooding, I see a piece of lake side property.
    true, sounds very nice (pics?)

    but you will have to build the land up enough so that the highest floods cannot ruin your house

    maybe you can also build out onto the lake - I have done that and it makes for a nice cool terrace (and fishing spot) under the house and over the lake
    I have reported your post

  13. #13
    Member ChrisInCambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-01-2014 @ 04:51 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    but you will have to build the land up enough so that the highest floods cannot ruin your house
    That's what I was thinking, the land is narrow and long 21m (frontage) x 200m (depth). Cambodia had its fifty year flood last year, so I got to see what worst case scenario looks like. The first 50m was okay, the next 150m was under water getting slowly deeper the further back you went.

    The lake is really just a low lying piece of land so there is huge retraction/expansion depending on the season. It's very green, with lots of birds and vegetation, so maybe wetland would be a better description than lake.

    My plan is to wait until the height of the dry season, send in a bulldozer, and push land from past the end near the mostly dried up lake back towards the front. During the wet season the land would then be protruding out into the lake.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    true, sounds very nice (pics?)


    Here's my oldest stood on the piece of land that we currently own last September. Just behind him is the dirt track that's the access road. The land we're getting if behind that track and off to the left, stretching down to the lake/wetland behind. The picture doesn't really do the scale of the flooded area justice. A lot of that green area you see in the background is in fact underwater with some kind of lake vegetation on top.

  14. #14
    Member Borey the Bald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2016 @ 07:18 AM
    Location
    Sakon Nakhon
    Posts
    549
    CiC,

    Just noticed this website with some good information specific to Cambodian tree planting. May be of some use to you.

    Cambodia Tree Seed Project - Tree Seed Project

    Borey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •