Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    16-11-2013 @ 12:51 AM
    Posts
    115

    Leaving a house empty for a few months - Anyone use a dehumidifier?

    I will have a lady come in to sweep the dust once or twice a week and open it up to allow some air, but curious if any of you use a dehumidifier while gone to reduce the chance for mold. Or is that overkill?

    Last time I left a place alone for about a month most everything smelled of mold when I returned. Trying to figure out the best way to beat it.

    Thanks all.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    sounds like you live in a villa

    I suppose you should find a way to keep air circulating, leave windows slightly open etc

    if you cannot do that because of security then maybe install a fan on a timer that brings air in, and have a grill somewhere else that lets the air out
    I have reported your post

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    CNF55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Location
    Cha Am
    Posts
    2,233
    Had the same problem with mould in our weekend condo in Cha Am and we now use these small dehumidifier plastic containers with granules on top. I think the wife buys them at Central Chidlom.

    We place them in every room as well as inside the wardrobes. They last about 4-5 weeks, then you need to empty the absorbed water and re-fill the granules. Pretty effective - no problem with mould anymore.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Ask the wife's family to look after in for you. It'll be aired and tidy upon your return. All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.

  5. #5
    Member Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    16-11-2013 @ 12:51 AM
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    sounds like you live in a villa

    I suppose you should find a way to keep air circulating, leave windows slightly open etc

    if you cannot do that because of security then maybe install a fan on a timer that brings air in, and have a grill somewhere else that lets the air out
    This is a townhouse. I wish I would have thought to build in a small fan like you advise, that is a good idea. Running it off a timer is great. Maybe when we come back I'll put one in. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by CNF55 View Post
    Had the same problem with mould in our weekend condo in Cha Am and we now use these small dehumidifier plastic containers with granules on top. I think the wife buys them at Central Chidlom.

    We place them in every room as well as inside the wardrobes. They last about 4-5 weeks, then you need to empty the absorbed water and re-fill the granules. Pretty effective - no problem with mould anymore.
    You have a photo of these things by chance, or perhaps the Thai name for them?


    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Ask the wife's family to look after in for you. It'll be aired and tidy upon your return. All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.
    We have a lady who is going to go in once or twice a week and open it up, but I fear she won't do it as promised so I'm looking for backup. :-)

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.
    when you get back you can go round to their houses and try and get it back

  7. #7
    Member Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    16-11-2013 @ 12:51 AM
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.
    when you get back you can go round to their houses and try and get it back


  8. #8
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    27,772
    Dehumidifier is a good idea, make sure you get one that can drain directly down a drain through a hose rather than into a receptacle within that needs to be emptied.
    They are bloody great. (good for drying clother in humid weather as well)

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    CNF55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Location
    Cha Am
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by CNF55 View Post
    Had the same problem with mould in our weekend condo in Cha Am and we now use these small dehumidifier plastic containers with granules on top. I think the wife buys them at Central Chidlom.

    We place them in every room as well as inside the wardrobes. They last about 4-5 weeks, then you need to empty the absorbed water and re-fill the granules. Pretty effective - no problem with mould anymore.
    You have a photo of these things by chance, or perhaps the Thai name for them?

    Sorry, I don't. We might go down there next weekend (if Rama 2 stays dry...) and I will try to remember to look for the name.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    15-01-2019 @ 07:57 AM
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Ask the wife's family to look after in for you. It'll be aired and tidy upon your return. All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.
    You hear some familys would take every thing that is'nt nailed down. My wifes family, like Marmite's, are very trustworthy. Maybe it's you get back what you give.
    I would also like to see a dehumidifier.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    DroversDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    19-10-2014 @ 06:21 AM
    Posts
    1,787
    I would also like to see a dehumidifier.
    You could always turn on the aircon.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47
    My wifes family, like Marmite's, are very trustworthy
    I have a feeling that Marmite's family was the victim of irony

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    CNF55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Location
    Cha Am
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    sounds like you live in a villa

    I suppose you should find a way to keep air circulating, leave windows slightly open etc

    if you cannot do that because of security then maybe install a fan on a timer that brings air in, and have a grill somewhere else that lets the air out
    This is a townhouse. I wish I would have thought to build in a small fan like you advise, that is a good idea. Running it off a timer is great. Maybe when we come back I'll put one in. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by CNF55 View Post
    Had the same problem with mould in our weekend condo in Cha Am and we now use these small dehumidifier plastic containers with granules on top. I think the wife buys them at Central Chidlom.

    We place them in every room as well as inside the wardrobes. They last about 4-5 weeks, then you need to empty the absorbed water and re-fill the granules. Pretty effective - no problem with mould anymore.
    You have a photo of these things by chance, or perhaps the Thai name for them?


    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Ask the wife's family to look after in for you. It'll be aired and tidy upon your return. All you stuff would've been carefully looked after, too.
    We have a lady who is going to go in once or twice a week and open it up, but I fear she won't do it as promised so I'm looking for backup. :-)

    I am obviously too dumm to post a photo here - might have to do with the post count....no idea.

    Anyway - these refillable dehumidifiers are made in Taiwan and you can see the details following this link
    Š™[at]企[at]‚份œ‰™…司

    As I said before, we usually buy them at Central Chidlom (household goods dept).

    If the link doesn't work go to farcent.com.tw.

  14. #14
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    21-01-2013 @ 09:54 PM
    Posts
    29
    If I have to go away for a couple of weeks I have a number of yogurt pots and I place mothballs in the pots and put them in all cupboards it seems to work fine and nothing smell musty better still leave all you cupboard door open

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    16-12-2011 @ 12:41 PM
    Location
    On The Run
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by ossie View Post
    If I have to go away for a couple of weeks I have a number of yogurt pots and I place mothballs in the pots and put them in all cupboards it seems to work fine and nothing smell musty better still leave all you cupboard door open
    Mothballs work well for the smell but won't prevent mold. If you can't leave windows slightly open due to security considerations an alternative might be leaving the kitchen and bath exhaust fans running while you're away.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by ossie View Post
    If I have to go away for a couple of weeks I have a number of yogurt pots and I place mothballs in the pots and put them in all cupboards it seems to work fine and nothing smell musty better still leave all you cupboard door open

    sounds like a hint from "Viz"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •