Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 443
  1. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    14-05-2013 @ 05:46 PM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
    Can you space the paras.....bloody hard reading otherwise
    what are you a broke english teacher!

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan View Post
    I know you probably dont want to say exactly where you are Rick but what area roughly are you in ? ie N/S/E/W of Udon
    East off the road to Nong Bua Lamphu.
    Before or after the Khyber Pass (gong to NBLP from Udon)?
    Before Marmite, on the 210 just before Nong Wua So.

  3. #28
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithson View Post
    Really nice plan, I like the height, open areas, room underneath and outside kitchen - design features that have worked here for centuries.

    Not only will the place be cooler and more pleasant all round, but you'll save money. Have you considered putting in some ventilation in the roof ends?

    Also, you could wait before doing the downstairs living area, you might find it's really nice to leave it open and put in some potted plants as well as cut flowers like heliconias (bird of paradise) that you could grow on the property.
    All good ideas Smithson. As for the room ventilation, I was thinking about getting a couple of small teak panels to cover the holes on each side of the roof, but am not sure if they would keep out the rain. It just depends on how deep the eaves are once the roof is on. I also like the open areas, and was thinking about living space downstairs. My plan is to have 2 or 3 accordian doors about 4 meter wide to open up the space. That should make it feel more like you are outside rather than inside. Do like bird of paradise along with other flowers found in Thailand.

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Thanks larvidchr and hillbilly. I will keep all informed on my progress along with lots of pics. I am hoping to put some of what I have learned on TD to practice and am looking forward to the results.

  5. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    29-10-2012 @ 08:30 PM
    Posts
    14

    foundations

    Hi,
    Good luck with such a lovely looking house. By the way the top up land will not have settled by October. They say three years! Just make sure the piles ( sows) are down through the previous surface.

    I dig holes in my garden after 5 years and still find holes where the clay has not bedded down; and again I water a bush and find the water runs away making a bigger and bigger hole. I dont know where its going but for sure its cutting a passage below the surface to somewhere.

    Oh yes another thing. The Thais put banana leaves down the piling holes, after the bed of concrete has been poured, for good luck. They say they remove them before the next pour but I never found any trace of the removed leaves, so my founds have a layer of organic material in one corner...............:

  6. #31
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    Mukdahan
    Posts
    28

    Materials

    2 things I will advise is using the "superblock" instead of red brick or standard cement blocks; especially if you plan to have any AC units. They are close to an R-9 factor if properly installed. I also have attic r-12 on my drywall ceilings. Not great but makes a huge difference. I plan to add another layer on a couple areas later.
    2nd I used syler pipe (available at tool pro and home pro) for all water piping in the walls. I run about 30 Psi on and 48Psi off on my water pressure from a submersible well pump and a pressure tank. Have had 0 problem in 4 years.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by lounger View Post
    Hi,
    Good luck with such a lovely looking house. By the way the top up land will not have settled by October. They say three years! Just make sure the piles ( sows) are down through the previous surface.

    I dig holes in my garden after 5 years and still find holes where the clay has not bedded down; and again I water a bush and find the water runs away making a bigger and bigger hole. I dont know where its going but for sure its cutting a passage below the surface to somewhere.

    Oh yes another thing. The Thais put banana leaves down the piling holes, after the bed of concrete has been poured, for good luck. They say they remove them before the next pour but I never found any trace of the removed leaves, so my founds have a layer of organic material in one corner...............:
    Thanks lounger, I would agree the longer fill dirt can set without construction the better. I have heard of new houses being built immediately after the topsoil is brought in but hope they dig deeper to set their posts as you mention.

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    2 things I will advise is using the "superblock" instead of red brick or standard cement blocks; especially if you plan to have any AC units. They are close to an R-9 factor if properly installed. I also have attic r-12 on my drywall ceilings. Not great but makes a huge difference. I plan to add another layer on a couple areas later.
    2nd I used syler pipe (available at tool pro and home pro) for all water piping in the walls. I run about 30 Psi on and 48Psi off on my water pressure from a submersible well pump and a pressure tank. Have had 0 problem in 4 years.
    I agree with you lockman about the "superblock" and am still considering them for the outside block walls. My brother-in-law in a very good mason and has done a good job with all the block work at the family house and he does it as a full-time job as well. I am not sure if he ever layed "superblock" though. He is going to save me a lot of money on the build and I plan to use him as my right hand man. The cost difference will be something to look into and I have not ruled out using them all together yet. I still have their brochure somewhere along with Q-con.
    Thanks for the information on the syler pipe and I will look into that. Currently, I am planning to run the water lines outside the walls. I know this is against western norm, but it makes it a lot easier to locate any leaks and you don't have to tear out a portion of the wall. Also, a lot of mistakes can be hidden in the walls as well.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 01-08-2011 at 10:14 PM.

  9. #34
    ota
    ota is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 07:56 PM
    Location
    Adirondack Mts.
    Posts
    89
    Beautiful plans. Lots of luck.
    Have you experienced any slowdown in price appreciations. I thought I'd be in Udon Thani by now but who would have thought if you built a home in the USA in 04 it would be worth 1/3 less in 11? At least I got "stuck" on 25 wooded acres in the mountains.
    I had to put screens up for a wrap around porch because of the mosquitos. My wife just got back from Udon fine but last time she got malaria.(and she's Thai, go figure) Do bugs present a problem?
    Ota

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ota View Post
    Beautiful plans. Lots of luck.
    Have you experienced any slowdown in price appreciations. I thought I'd be in Udon Thani by now but who would have thought if you built a home in the USA in 04 it would be worth 1/3 less in 11? At least I got "stuck" on 25 wooded acres in the mountains.
    I had to put screens up for a wrap around porch because of the mosquitos. My wife just got back from Udon fine but last time she got malaria.(and she's Thai, go figure) Do bugs present a problem?
    Ota

    Bugs always present a problem in Thailand Ota. I do not have plans to add screens to my windows and will be using the Thai logic. I do have some Black Holes to combat mosquitoes and will be adding an anti bug system for about 20,000 baht. It allows you to disperse bug repellant under the house through plastic piping and is well worth the money. There are other threads on this site that go into detail, but I will have pics once I have mine installed if you are interested.
    I got out of the real estate market in 2005 just before the crash and never got back in after that house was sold. I feel your pain, but it does not sound like you are stuck in a dump.

  11. #36
    Special member
    jizzybloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,868
    I like the look of that design, keep up the good work Rick!

  12. #37
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:28 PM
    Posts
    26,311
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzybloke
    I like the look of that design, keep up the good work Rick!
    Ditto.

    Hope everything goes well for you and the family Rick.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Thanks Jizz and Loy Toy. I appreciate your support and I am looking forward to the build. It is always great to be able and share it with someone else and hopefully members may learn something new from documenting it.

  14. #39
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    24-07-2013 @ 09:04 PM
    Location
    us virginia
    Posts
    48
    I think your wise to be building and living in the Udon thani area.I have wanted to do the same thing but it looks like it'll be in the korat area instead.I will definitely keep visiting the area.Good luck,keep us posted.

  15. #40
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    Currently, I am planning to run the water lines outside the walls. I know this is against western norm, but it makes it a lot easier to locate any leaks and you don't have to tear out a portion of the wall. Also, a lot of mistakes can be hidden in the walls as well.
    Good idea. From experience I can say the lack of headache far outweighs the lack of esthetics.

  16. #41
    Member isanmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    15-01-2016 @ 04:55 PM
    Location
    sydney, nong han udon thani
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by isanmick View Post
    Good luck with the build, hope it goes well. I will keep closely tuned as I will too be building a house in Udon in a few years time.
    Thanks isanmick, and of course you are invited any time to view the progress and have a "cold one."
    Thanks for the kind invite, I will be back in Udon for songkran for 4 -5 weeks.
    I wouldn't mind catching up with a few other Udonites for a fish and/or a beer also.
    อีสานมิก ขุนชัาง

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilled View Post
    I think your wise to be building and living in the Udon thani area.I have wanted to do the same thing but it looks like it'll be in the korat area instead.I will definitely keep visiting the area.Good luck,keep us posted.
    Thrilled, keep us posted on your progress in Korat. As I explained in my opening statement, the trip to Udon was not on my radar initially, but as you alreay know, things change.

  18. #43
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    02-03-2015 @ 03:30 PM
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,951
    good luck rick with the build,good idea you being project manager as you need to super vise your worker"s constantly or you will end up with something that does"nt even remotely resemble your design,thai-builders will cut coners and always look for the easy option unless you state otherwise...do not tolerate any worker who drinks alcahol on the job during working hours as this will prove very costly later....GOOD LUCK and looking forward to seeing the end result.

  19. #44
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Thanks JamieJambos. The only alcohol allowed on the site will be the lao cao that I will treat the team with ONLY after a good day's work. I hope to turn them all into Pavlov Dogs so that they will work harder.

  20. #45
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    15-09-2017 @ 04:33 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    2,836
    Looking good Rick, like the plans...

    Good Luck.....

  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Thanks Airport.

  22. #47
    ................... sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,027
    good stuff, keep it coming


    oh and good luck mate

  23. #48
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Cheers Sunsetter.

  24. #49
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    02-03-2015 @ 03:30 PM
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Thanks JamieJambos. The only alcohol allowed on the site will be the lao cao that I will treat the team with ONLY after a good day's work. I hope to turn them all into Pavlov Dogs so that they will work harder.
    VERY WISE. also on the subject of earth refill, i built my up my plot of 332 talangwa by 80 cm and let it settle for at least 8 months which is the norm here in issan before i started the build 2 months later and made sure the pillars were concreted in below the original level,have not encountered any problems as yet so far,but i am keeping my fingers crossed on that one..Good luck once again Rick ,hope every thing goes well for you and i wish you a happy retirement......

  25. #50
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,108
    Your house design is almost exactly the sort of thing I would build if and when I would do so, in fact we brought a few rai to build on about 12 yrs ago.

    Paid if I remember correctly, 150,000 Bt a rai (15 rai) in a village 30 km out of udon tried to sell it earlier this yr for the same price but no takers, since buying it filled and built up 2 rai, 2 wells and the road has been paved.

    Intended to live there but since then kids arrived and I had a rethink about living in out the country, I quickly came to the realization that think it would quickly turn me raving mad, Alcoholic, so we now live near to Udon, still when the time comes to transition into a raving mad, Alcoholic I shall consider moving out there.

    Incidentally there is a house which i have admired, built to a very similar design as yours in the country 10 km off route 22, I shall get the coordinates and a photo to post when the rain stops.
    There canít be good living where there is not good drinking

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •