Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832

    How to install a suspended ceiling ?

    how you install a suspended ceiling when you have long sheets of plaster ? do you attach the metal structure to the sheets of plaster first ? and then raise the ceiling ?

    surely you will not drill holes every 30cm to hold the metal structure ? how they do it ?

  2. #2
    Hello World
    melvbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Infinite Loop
    Posts
    5,931
    Im looking forward to this one.

  3. #3
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,765

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Clever.

  5. #5
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,765
    ^They also have jacks that lift drywall into place, but that might be cost-prohibited for a small project.

  6. #6
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    yeah he is drilling, but apparently not in Thailand

  7. #7
    Member
    skidley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Location
    Ban Chang
    Posts
    55
    Check out some of the older threads on house construction.

    1. Frame out the ceiling with T bars
    2. Screw the plaster board to the T bars with the correct screws
    3. Tape all joints with plastering tape
    4. Screed over with all joints and screws with plaster and sand smooth

    Done!

    But its a pain in the arse job to get looking right if its not what you do for a living

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775

  9. #9
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,356
    ^ can't be that hard if a woman is doing it....

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    crippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    5,209
    I watched them do mine,and they use self-drilling screws through the plaster board into the metal strips. The roof tiles are also fastened on with similar screws. These are available from the local builders yard.

  11. #11
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Best is to go to a Home Mart and ask if they sell the supplies, they will say yes, then tell them where you live and want the work done, and to send a crew and the materials and you will be back later to pay them when the job is finished.

    See how simple it is to do things here.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    yeah he is drilling, but apparently not in Thailand

    must be those imported anti-gravity boards then BF, very expensive

  13. #13
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    I have those exact same T bars for my service trap, I didn't see in the video what tool they use to cut them, it seems very easy to cut, but when I do it not so easy, the hacksaw seems to be too strong for those, they bend easily and I have nothing to hold them

    my ceiling is in long sheets, the T bars are hidden, that's what I meant by how they are doing it. There is no trace of drills or any tape on the surface. Surely it's not a Thai unique expertise

  14. #14
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    must be those imported anti-gravity boards then BF, very expensive
    that's the only explanation I see, since they seem to have "nailed" the ceiling to the screws in the metal structure.

    Shouldn't there be a patent for that ?

  15. #15
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by skidley
    2. Screw the plaster board to the T bars with the correct screws
    what do you mean correct ? aren't they all correct ?

    Quote Originally Posted by skidley
    3. Tape all joints with plastering tape
    4. Screed over with all joints and screws with plaster and sand smooth
    If that's what they did, then they did a fantastic job because it's completely invisible as the structure is spaced 30cm for each bar and I can see the screw on the other side but not on the ceiling. But I doubt that, as holes that were patched and fixed can be seen when you look close enough.

  16. #16
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    ^I'm pretty sure that's what they do.

  17. #17
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    ^ I don't see any other explanation, but we can only hope this is maybe a hidden Thai way to do it

  18. #18
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    what do you mean correct ? aren't they all correct ?
    The correct screws are 1/2 inch Drywall screws, the Aluminum is cut with scissors, and the screw holes flled the and seams are taped and and sanded.
    The same screws are used thruout the whole job, on the aluminum as well as with the sheetrock.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by crippen
    self-drilling screws
    Magic screws, eh? I thought they used self tapping screws.

  20. #20
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    I have a box of self drilling ones that I bought to use when I insulated my smoker.

  21. #21
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    what is plaster tape ? and what does it mean exactly ? can they be use to fill out gaps ? and you just sand it and paint above ?

  22. #22
    Member globin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    24-02-2017 @ 01:43 PM
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate
    Posts
    79
    For a seamless plaster ceiling
    Layout Prep: run a level mark around the room 20 mm above finish height and attach a 20mm aluminum angle to the wall with nails or screws at this line.
    1. Twist lock 1/8" steel hanger rods from rafters or battens at 60 cm centers
    2. attach spring clips and "j" rods approximately at finished ceiling height to these hangers.
    3. cut excess hanger rods off leaving 20cm extra (to be folded up prior to fitting boards.
    4. install U channel long axis up (runners) through the j rods and level
    5. attach U channel long axis sideways (battens) using ear clips then bend them over the runners at 40 cm centers
    6. install any wiring or insulation at this point
    7. lift, glue (acrylic sealant will do) and screw the sheets off to the battens with DRYWALL screws (they are Phillips head, black steel with very sharp points and will penetrate the U channels but are not what is referred to as selfdrilling and available in 1/2" or 3/4" for double sheet extended fireproofing installations)
    8. taping and finishing the joints to western standards requires a great deal of skill or if this is not available, a great deal of sanding.

    No base coats are available in Thailand, they sell only finish plaster (poe ypsum), generally 30 mm cloth tape is available, although lately I see 50 mm self adhesive fibre mesh tape

    All this stuff is available in hardware stores.

    We have a mechanical drywall panel lifter for rent in or around Rayong province ONLY or you can use 4 cheap nongs, if you can tolerate the aggravation.
    ~Glennerd~

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    11-06-2015 @ 06:42 AM
    Posts
    5
    do you still have the panel lifter for hire? I tried to PM you but have less then 20 posts.


    Quote Originally Posted by globin View Post
    For a seamless plaster ceiling
    Layout Prep: run a level mark around the room 20 mm above finish height and attach a 20mm aluminum angle to the wall with nails or screws at this line.
    1. Twist lock 1/8" steel hanger rods from rafters or battens at 60 cm centers
    2. attach spring clips and "j" rods approximately at finished ceiling height to these hangers.
    3. cut excess hanger rods off leaving 20cm extra (to be folded up prior to fitting boards.
    4. install U channel long axis up (runners) through the j rods and level
    5. attach U channel long axis sideways (battens) using ear clips then bend them over the runners at 40 cm centers
    6. install any wiring or insulation at this point
    7. lift, glue (acrylic sealant will do) and screw the sheets off to the battens with DRYWALL screws (they are Phillips head, black steel with very sharp points and will penetrate the U channels but are not what is referred to as selfdrilling and available in 1/2" or 3/4" for double sheet extended fireproofing installations)
    8. taping and finishing the joints to western standards requires a great deal of skill or if this is not available, a great deal of sanding.

    No base coats are available in Thailand, they sell only finish plaster (poe ypsum), generally 30 mm cloth tape is available, although lately I see 50 mm self adhesive fibre mesh tape

    All this stuff is available in hardware stores.

    We have a mechanical drywall panel lifter for rent in or around Rayong province ONLY or you can use 4 cheap nongs, if you can tolerate the aggravation.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    20-02-2018 @ 10:51 AM
    Posts
    89
    If it's any help, pros don't use them. They are too slow. They buy or make a goodie to step up onto and stand on, and then two guy do that and screw them into place.

    You do know you need a special drill bit that controls the depth of the screw so it will tighten without going right through the drywall? If you break the paper, you need another screw right beside it.

    LINK

    Last edited by JBaker; 31-07-2014 at 09:30 PM.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    18-08-2019 @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,608
    I just tried to install Suspended Ceiling. Something must be up with it.

    Firstly I had an application conflict



    Finally worked out I had an old version of Rusty Pipes running and that was causing that problem. Replaced that but then getting close to full installation, it crashed.



    I asked a bloke I know who knows about these things and he said that I was running 32 bit, but had tried to install 64 bit suspended ceiling - over loaded it basically.

    Finally got it all sorted out, but then I have a bigger problem.



    Blue Suspended ceiling of DEATH.

    So I finally said Stuff This Shit and changed products.

    Originally Posted by bsnub "No wonder I drive a tesla"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •