Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Boxed Member
    Nawty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    in a state of mind
    Posts
    9,711

    Waste water in a rice field

    What do you do with all the waste water and sewage tanks if you are building in the middle of a rice paddy ??

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Many Thai families simply let the water drain away from the house. Some might build an underground cesspit that needs emptied every so often.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    22-08-2019 @ 11:50 AM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,718
    The thought of a school of Brown-Nosed Trouts swimming in the adjoing paddy to my wife's rai prompted me to dig a cesspit...

  4. #4
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Most everyone has a 4 tile deep wastewater [drywell] that shower/dishwater goes into and another for the toilet to drain into.

  5. #5
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,050
    I live in the middle of rice field. Have a two stage cesspit system. Raw sewage from the toilets go into a large underground plastic tank where the crap is converted to liquid form via a bacterial action. It then goes into a 3 meter deep concrete pit with gravel layered bottom to let the waste perc into the ground.

    Also have a gray water concrete tank for sinks and shower water. This also perks into the ground.

    During the dry season never have to pump but when the water table is high during wet season occasionally will have to have the tanks pumped out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  6. #6
    Boxed Member
    Nawty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    in a state of mind
    Posts
    9,711
    Thanks Norton, thats the first hand experience I was looking for. Excellent.

    Where do you pump it to ?

    We will not have any drainage system nearby, there is a natural wet season creek on the boundary, but bit concerned pumping into that.

    Tried to send you a green, but have to wait.
    I like poisoning my neighbours dogs till they die cos I'm a cnut

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawty
    Where do you pump it to ?
    Into the back of a tanker hopefully.

  8. #8
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawty
    Where do you pump it to ?
    There is a small tanker truck that comes by the village offering pumping services. They pump out your tank and off they go. Charge by amount so cost between 200 and 300 baht here.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
    Thanks Norton, thats the first hand experience I was looking for. Excellent.

    Where do you pump it to ?

    We will not have any drainage system nearby, there is a natural wet season creek on the boundary, but bit concerned pumping into that.

    Tried to send you a green, but have to wait.

    we had the same problems. We built a concrete ring tank for the crap, another tank for that to drain into, then another for waste water

    the problem was that during the rainy season the tanks would fill with groundwater so...

    the use of a plastic tank for the crap is the best method, then this can overflow into the concrete ring tank

    this can then overflow into the last grey water tank

    we have a dive (submersible) pump in this last tank which automatically empties the tank, through a filter box (as required by regs) into the irrigation canal

    during the dry times, the pump does not operate, so no flow into the canal. During the wet season, the canal is full of flowing water so the waste water just adds to it

    theoretically, the waste water should be Ok as it has been digested and changed by bacterial action
    I have reported your post

  10. #10
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Have a two stage cesspit system. Raw sewage from the toilets go into a large underground plastic tank where the crap is converted to liquid form via a bacterial action. It then goes into a 3 meter deep concrete pit with gravel layered bottom to let the waste perc into the ground.
    So what you have is close to a septic system, COTTO does build here for use here a round partitioned septic tank in 1000, 1500, and larger liter tanks depending on how many toilets flush into it and then it hooks to a multi-pipe draln field, just about the same thing as we use in the ststes where septic systems are used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    There is a small tanker truck that comes by the village offering pumping services.
    Yep, small blue vacuum trucks that come and suck out the waste and haul it off, they do both out tanks once a year for 1000 baht.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    the waste water should be Ok as it has been digested and changed by bacterial action
    I am glad you think so, only in Thailand will they allow coli-form enriched water to be dumped anywhere but a sewer treatment plant.
    My septic system at my cabin 27 miles above Sandpoint ID. was 10 miles from a county road and the end of the power grid and phone lines, was set on my permit that even tho the cabin was 15 feet from the creek bank, my septic tank had to be a leakproof concrete/steel reinforced, 1000 gallon tank, 100 feet from the creek, and the drain field had to be gravel and sand base below 4" perfpipe buried 24" in the ground, and the distributer box and drain field had to be 200 meters from it's closest point from the creek bed, even waste treated in a sewerage treatment plant can not be released back into any streams unless it has also been chlorinated.. but we are talking about countrys with a care for the environment and its people's health.

    Now I could be wrong, so why not have a test run on your dumped water and see what the coliform reading, along with other harmful bacteria is.

    GOOGLE septic systems/ septic tanks, some interesting stuff, I don't think I would worry about doing it here as 1 among 1 million is going to make no fucking difference. but if I would have violated the law in Bonner County Idaho they would have taken my house and land as I would not have been able to pay the fine.
    Last edited by blackgang; 22-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.

  11. #11
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,050
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    So what you have is close to a septic system, COTTO does build here for use here a round partitioned septic tank in 1000, 1500, and larger liter tanks depending on how many toilets flush into it and then it hooks to a multi-pipe draln field, just about the same thing as we use in the ststes where septic systems are used.
    Yep. Plastic tank for solid waste with overflow to concrete tank. Concrete tank is 3 one meter (length/diameter) culvert sections.


  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    176
    Hi Nawty
    Do you have a waterbore which you use for drinking or for animals? If so make the overflows of your septic tank system at least 30 meters away from the waterbore if you don`t want to get water poisoned.
    Cheers Johpam

  13. #13
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,050
    ^Good point.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    the waste water should be Ok as it has been digested and changed by bacterial action
    I am glad you think so, only in Thailand will they allow coli-form enriched water to be dumped anywhere but a sewer treatment plant..

    true BG, but the canal is an irrigation canal, not a creek that people may use for washing or drinking (hopefully!!)

    Probably make the rice nice and healthy

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    28-04-2011 @ 01:22 AM
    Posts
    10
    close to neighbors garden is the best place to pump !!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •