Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Phoneguy702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    29-10-2018 @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Las Vegas & BKK
    Posts
    15

    Upgrading Electrical Service

    I bought a 1600sq/ft townhouse in BKK and need to upgrade the standard 15amp meter. I wonder what size service any TD members in similar homes have. Is the 45amp meter my only choice? Do I need to concider a second service if I need more? I think the 45 would work but I am trying to see what my options are.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    I don't think you can get a second service fitted on a single tabian ban, you could upgrade to 3 phase if you need a lot of electric.

  3. #3
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy702 View Post
    I bought a 1600sq/ft townhouse in BKK and need to upgrade the standard 15amp meter. I wonder what size service any TD members in similar homes have. Is the 45amp meter my only choice? Do I need to concider a second service if I need more? I think the 45 would work but I am trying to see what my options are.
    Thanks
    why would you possibly want to upgrade?
    15 amp supply should be more than adequate for a townhouse?

    by the way, i ran my catfish farm on a 10 amp supply.
    the only difference between the 5 amp supply and the 15amp supply, was the meter, and as far as i know, the meter doesnt regulate the supply. perhaps an elecrician who knows how the thais do things can explain?
    it has confused me for a long time, since i figured my 10amp "supply" was good for around 2.5 kw, and i was drawing over double that much.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    He measures in sq ft, probably American, gonna be aircon in every room, needs a big meter

  5. #5
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,204
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    He measures in sq ft, probably American, gonna be aircon in every room, needs a big meter
    1600 sq feet still ain't much. 148 m2. 4 or 5 air a/c will run quite nicely on 15 amps.

  6. #6
    Member HINO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 10:29 AM
    Location
    Phala Beach, Banchang, Rayong
    Posts
    133

  7. #7
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    4 or 5 air a/c will run quite nicely on 15 amps.
    I'll do the math for you Norton.
    230V x 15A = 3450W

    Now can you please check how much power (in W) one A/C unit consumes when running
    And especially how much current it draws for a short moment when the compressor starts up..

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Phoneguy702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    29-10-2018 @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Las Vegas & BKK
    Posts
    15

    Upgrading Electrical Service

    I knew I should not have put the size in feet in the orig post. Did some research and it seems that the size in amps of your meter is not as important as the size of the Main breaker. What size main is "normally connected to a 5 (15) Meter installation? Also I have not found a reference to what if any Electrical Code or Standard the Thai's use ( understanding that Somchai has never read or even seen it ) Any ideas? I have read enough to understand that the US Code while usefull is not used what about Aus or NZ codes? Oh and thanks for "busting my chops"

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    ^ It's supposed to be loosely based upon the Aussie code. There's a thread or two on here already.

  10. #10
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,204
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    Now can you please check how much power (in W) one A/C unit consumes when running And especially how much current it draws for a short moment when the compressor starts up..
    Cannot.

    I can tell you, I have a 200 sq meter house with 4 A/Cs. 2 9,500 btu and 2 12,500 btu. Also, have a boiler type water heater and electric oven. All work well on a 15 amp "meter".

    I'll let you folks work out the numbers but could be the amp rating on the meter and the amount of current available are not related as pointed out by tsicar.


    Quote Originally Posted by tsicar
    the only difference between the 5 amp supply and the 15amp supply, was the meter, and as far as i know, the meter doesnt regulate the supply. perhaps an elecrician who knows how the thais do things can explain? it has confused me for a long time, since i figured my 10amp "supply" was good for around 2.5 kw, and i was drawing over double that much.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  11. #11
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    I'll let you folks work out the numbers but could be the amp rating on the meter and the amount of current available are not related as pointed out by tsicar.
    The amp rating of the meter is the max current you should draw through it if you want it to last and not burn.
    It is a manufacturers specification.

    Here's what happened when I once upgraded from construction power to permanent power.
    Calculating that I needed around 30 Amp 3-phase , I went to the electric bureau
    to order a meter for it.
    They had 25 Amp meters and 50 Amp meters with quite a big price gap between them.
    I ordered the 50 Amp , thinking it would be good to have some reserve for the future.

    Before they came to fit the meter I had dug down a 63 Amp rated cable from the pole to the house.
    Got a phone call one day that the meter was ready to be fit but that they had to come for an electric inspection first.
    The inspector, when he arrived, was not interested in checking anything inside the house, but looking at my cable coming up the pole he said:
    "You can not have a 50 Amp meter on that cable, 30 Amp is maximum for the cable so you can only get a 25 Amp meter"
    Told him I found that strange since I knew the cable specification, and that 25 Amp was a bit on the low side for my needs.
    Then he revealed the secret:
    "But you can overload your meter with 100%"

    At that point I understood why a 63 Amp cable is only good for 30 Amp in Thailand.
    They have already accounted for the overloading.
    Everyone is ordering the smallest (cheapest) meters and do overload them.
    The voices in my head are mostly kind, I also like the music.

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    10-02-2009 @ 01:15 AM
    Location
    uk south
    Posts
    154
    i would imagine that an overloaded meter would give an inaccurate reading

    the limiting factor regarding how much current you could use is the rating of the main fuse- also cable size

  13. #13
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by andy55 View Post
    i would imagine that an overloaded meter would give an inaccurate reading

    the limiting factor regarding how much current you could use is the rating of the main fuse- also cable size
    main breaker or fuse should protect your cables from overload. in the village, the thais are using the blue, 5 amp rated cables, but the electricity dept. insists on a 60 amp main fuse!
    the "inspector" made me replace the 30 amp breaker i had fitted with one of 60 amp rating,"because it is the law".
    he was not interested in my argument that to do so would defeat the object of using a breaker to protect the cables in case of overload.
    suppose it doesn't really matter, since as soon as the fuse blows, the thai genius "electricians" replace the fuse with a length of thick copper wire, anyway!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •