Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846

    What air conditioner?

    I'm buying a air con for our guest room. I have a Mitsubishi Mr Slim in our bedroom for 4 years now, quiet and never missed a beat so I was going to get another but I found a Sharp with the plasmacluster technology for 1000 B less.

    Anyone have experience with Sharp A/C's? Is the plasma cluster thing a load of bollocks? Other A/C's with it are quiet expensive. One place said the compressors were noisy but then she wasn't selling any Sharp units.

    Any other brands you would fully recommend?
    Last edited by Bung; 04-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Fahn Cahn's

  2. #2
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    Well, I am googling around, seems the sharp has a 1 year warranty on the compressor and the mitsu 5! May be worth springing for the mitsu "move eye" as it has a rotary compressor (much better) and "DS plasma" thingy. Pairng though.
    Last edited by Bung; 04-07-2008 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #3
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,368
    i just bought a Mitsubishi after my Samsung compressor of 6 years (5 years warranty - bastards) died.

    Cost me about S$2400 (one compresor and aircon units in 3 bedrooms) and so far I am very pleased. Almost silent operation and easy to clean. The compressor comes with a 7 year warranty.

    Mitsubishi Electric - Products - For Home - Air Conditioners - Multi Split (Non Inverter) - R22

  4. #4
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    I think I will stick with mitsubishi. The Sharp one sounds too good to be true for the price so probably isn't.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    05-04-2014 @ 07:04 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28
    I bought LG for the price (five year compressor warranty.) I don't have anything to compare it too, but I believe the compressor unit is quite noisy. The fan cooling unit inside became noisy too after two years of almost nightly use. Funny... it's a lot quieter since i brought HP Home Care in to clean it. Was amazed at the amount of crud inside... the 650Bt maintenance fee was well worth it for what the guys did. I thought the Nano Plasma deal inside was supposed to help with keeping the thing clean?

  6. #6
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,043
    I get the servicing boys to come in and do the airconds about twice a year - worth it for improved efficiency. Only 500 baht here.

    I wash the intake filters myself about once a month.

  7. #7
    Member
    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    09-07-2010 @ 08:14 AM
    Posts
    627
    For the sake of saving 1,000 baht . I think you would be wise to go for the Mitsubishi

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    For the sake of saving 1,000 baht . I think you would be wise to go for the Mitsubishi
    Mitsu have a good reputation, I'd go with that one too.

  9. #9
    Member
    WhiteLotusLane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-06-2018 @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    633
    > I'm buying a air con for our guest room. I have a Mitsubishi Mr Slim in our bedroom
    > for 4 years now, quiet and never missed a beat so I was going to get another but I
    > found a Sharp with the plasmacluster technology for 1000 B less.

    That's NOTHING!

    ------> GO WITH MITSUBISHI <--------

    They're quiet and indestructible. What more could you possibly want.

  10. #10
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    The Mitsu is the most basic model and the Sharp is a high end model because of the Plasma cluster technology so that is something. The mistu with plasma is about 5000B more.

  11. #11
    RIP
    klongmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    4,382
    You might like to have a look at this thread
    http://teakdoor.com/living-in-thaila...-for-home.html
    was very helpful for me when I was shopping for a new A/C for the bedroom...

  12. #12
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    Yeah, I did have a look there. interesting about working out BTU's needed. So it's length x width x 65? In feet? Does that give you the required size unit?

    My room is under the house with a cement ceiling, doesn't get any sun on it, is about 4x3 metres so I figure a 9000 btu would do fine. It is pretty cool in there anyway. does that sound ok? I would prefer to put the most economical unit I can get in there but would hate to get it wrong.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung
    does that sound ok?
    Yes..

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    Yeah, I did have a look there. interesting about working out BTU's needed. So it's length x width x 65? In feet? Does that give you the required size unit?

    My room is under the house with a cement ceiling, doesn't get any sun on it, is about 4x3 metres so I figure a 9000 btu would do fine. It is pretty cool in there anyway. does that sound ok? I would prefer to put the most economical unit I can get in there but would hate to get it wrong.

    I think that buying a unit that is almost exactly the required size might be false economy

    if you buy a more powerful unit, it will only cool the room down to the right temp and then stop using power, so the running cost is about the same but the unit is working well within its capability

    so lasts longer
    I have reported your post

  15. #15
    Member The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    02-05-2018 @ 03:50 AM
    Location
    Nakornratchasima/Sacramento
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    Yeah, I did have a look there. interesting about working out BTU's needed. So it's length x width x 65? In feet? Does that give you the required size unit?

    My room is under the house with a cement ceiling, doesn't get any sun on it, is about 4x3 metres so I figure a 9000 btu would do fine. It is pretty cool in there anyway. does that sound ok? I would prefer to put the most economical unit I can get in there but would hate to get it wrong.

    I think that buying a unit that is almost exactly the required size might be false economy

    if you buy a more powerful unit, it will only cool the room down to the right temp and then stop using power, so the running cost is about the same but the unit is working well within its capability

    so lasts longer
    Not true. Sizing for a room is the correct method, if you oversize the unit it will short cycle and actually cost more to operate due the amount of starts. This also plays havoc on the contactor. LOL
    All people have photographic memories, the problem is most people don't have film!

  16. #16
    Member
    ataloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    06-09-2018 @ 10:30 PM
    Location
    Sanpatong-DoiLah-MaeWang tri-district-intersect just SSW of Chiangmai
    Posts
    125

    Thumbs up Inverters Reduce Electricity Consumption

    Inverters are the word of the day: To reduce electricity usage, the recent arrival of aircons with inverters are advertised to lower your rate from 20 to 40%. Some water pumps now have inverters as well.

  17. #17
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    Can you expand? Are you talking about soft starters?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    An inverter air conditioner uses an inverter circuit to regulate the rotational speed of the compressor to match the output of the compressor to the cooling pump load. This reduces the number of times the compressor stops and starts as the load varies, so saving on electricity bills and reducing noise levels compared to non-inverter models.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    yes, and water pumps do a similar thing

    but they cost a lot more

  20. #20
    Tonguin for a beer
    Bung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Location
    Wat Bung
    Posts
    3,846
    ^ Ah, yeah, that is a good thing but added cost. I cleaned the one in our room the other day, christ, what a biological experiment that was. big job to strip it down and ended up spraying all sorts of things into the fan to try and get the shit off it. Some of the more expensive ones are a lot easier to pull apart. I ended up buying some filter material in Lotus and laying that over the existing filters so that should help. That and cleaning it more often...we were both in hospital recently with a mysterious virus...Makes you think.

  21. #21
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,043
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    uses an inverter circuit to regulate the rotational speed
    Variable-frequency drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    varying the frequency will vary the speed in an AC motor - the chopper circuit on the output gives you control of "your wave , man"

    I always thought that a VFD driving electric heat tracing wrapped around a stainless steel vessel with full P&ID temp control would allow you to have a perfect still - keeping the temp flatlined at exactly where you wanted it - none of this on / off sparky control rubbish ( though the chopper circuit triacs are on / off - whoops )

  22. #22
    Member
    ataloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    06-09-2018 @ 10:30 PM
    Location
    Sanpatong-DoiLah-MaeWang tri-district-intersect just SSW of Chiangmai
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    ^ what a biological experiment that was. big job to strip it down and ended up spraying all sorts of things into the fan to try and get the shit off it. Some of the more expensive ones are a lot easier to pull apart. I ended up buying some filter material in Lotus and laying that over the existing filters so that should help. That and cleaning it more often...we were both in hospital recently with a mysterious virus...Makes you think.
    Legionnaires Disease as it is called derived from an incident, in Los Vegas I believe, whereby a group of retired military and their partners became badly sick with some deaths as a result of a virus from their hotel aircon. I used to get ill with a bad throat from aircons at hotels. Now I carry a small bottle of chlorine (Javez, Heiter) so that when showering upon arrival, I soak the mesh screen of the hotel aircon for 20 minutes. It works.

  23. #23
    Member
    ataloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    06-09-2018 @ 10:30 PM
    Location
    Sanpatong-DoiLah-MaeWang tri-district-intersect just SSW of Chiangmai
    Posts
    125
    Just came across this LG aircon advertised in Australia, one compressor servicing two units, or two rooms. A few members were talking about splitting the air into separate rooms, so this may be the solution.
    "LG Model LM-2166E2L Reduce Costs... Save Space... a single outdoor unit can efficiently cool Two Rooms." LG LM-2166E2L - LG Australia official site

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •