Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Itchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Posts
    827

    Wooden Roof Tiles

    I've noticed one or two places are now selling wooden roof tiles (used for many years in Scandanavia and the US these have a pretty low environmental impact and a very low thermal mass when compared to Concrete/Ceramic Tiles).

    Has anyone here used wooden roof tiles and if so what has been your experience?

  2. #2
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    They have always been on sale in Phrae

    I think HB used some and had to teach the natives how to nail them on properly

  3. #3
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:18 AM
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy
    have a pretty low environmental impact and a very low thermal mass when compared to Concrete/Ceramic Tiles).
    Just have to cut down more trees, how's that a low environmental impact?? Wood roofs are banned in many areas of the USA because of the fire danger...maybe a big import opportunity for Thailand, must be loads of unused stock in USA

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnwadrick
    Just have to cut down more trees, how's that a low environmental impact?
    Timber from managed forests is very environmentally sound. Shame there's none in SEA.

  5. #5
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    They're called Shingles. Must be rot and pest resistant. Cedar in the US, guess teak would be the choice here? They were made illegal in California not long after the Oakland hills fire. Cedar makes great kindling.

  6. #6
    Member
    Itchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnwadrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy
    have a pretty low environmental impact and a very low thermal mass when compared to Concrete/Ceramic Tiles).
    Just have to cut down more trees, how's that a low environmental impact?? Wood roofs are banned in many areas of the USA because of the fire danger...maybe a big import opportunity for Thailand, must be loads of unused stock in USA
    Perhaps the fire danger arrises from sparks emmitted from Chimneys - Don't see many of those in Thailand.

    As stated above, woold from managed forrests is environmentally sound - contrary to popular belief there are managed forrests in Thailand and a growing (oun intended) number of forrrests being planted for future harvest.

    --
    The alternative I was looking at was local hand made roof tiles - These are 'fired' by burning.... yes you have guessed ... wood.

    Still far more environmentally friendly than concrete and ceramics fire by fossil fuels.

  7. #7
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    They are really no viable in Thailnd any kind of wood that is braod enough to be slit into shingles would be too expensive. Rot & pests would give your roof a short life. Of course if you to lay out the cash for a teak roof (or some other expensive rot & pest resistant wood) you may have a nice roof. Fire hazard is from fires out side the home like forest fires, trash fires, an extra large BBQ.

    You may, or may not, have noticed that wooden homes are quite expensive here. Wood just ain't a cheap building material here. Ceramic tiles have a much longer life don;t rot and bugs don't eat 'em.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy
    Still far more environmentally friendly than concrete and ceramics fire by fossil fuels.
    Maybe although I don;t see the advantage over concrete. Still impractical and the wood you would need to use or the chemicals (poisons) needed to make more common woods rot & pest resistant may just nullify any "environmental' advantages.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -- T. Jefferson


  8. #8
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    What's wrong with Colorbond ?

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy
    What's wrong with Colorbond?
    Nothing, it just looks shite compared to other options.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Fair enough, but bloody practical, relatively inexpensive and how much time do you spend looking at you roof?

  11. #11
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:18 AM
    Posts
    1,290
    Sorry to ask this but what is "colorbond" ?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    http://www.colorbond.com/?WT.srch=1&gclid=CP_sxdi9iJQCFQE_egodpCQ5WQ

    steel corrogated sheets (but not like the old Brit stuff) that's used for roofing, fencing......just about anything.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by friscofrankie View Post
    They are really no viable in Thailnd any kind of wood that is braod enough to be slit into shingles would be too expensive. Rot & pests would give your roof a short life. Of course if you to lay out the cash for a teak roof (or some other expensive rot & pest resistant wood) you may have a nice roof. .

    Many old houses have wooden (teak) shingles in Thailand. If you want one too, there are plenty of places that sell second-hand ones at reasonable prices. They come from houses that have been demolished or from houses that have been upgraded to something more modern and efficient

    they do look good though but I would not use them
    I have reported your post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •