Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member More Volts Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    10-09-2015 @ 02:35 PM
    Location
    Pathum Thani.
    Posts
    102

    Driven piles and proximity to neighbours

    We're about to put a retaining wall around part of our land.

    Some background.

    We have 1.5 Rai of swamp close to the river, at our location the river is still tidal. Although we don't have river frontage ($$$$$) we do have tidal khlongs on 3 sides, 4th side is the road.

    I want to put in a retaining wall round part of the perimiter the idea being to keep our expensive fill from disappearing with the tide.

    The khlongs are 2-3m wide and of uncertain depth. The neighbours have similar walls down their side, one has a house wall close to the edge.

    Our contractor wants to use driven concrete 'H' piles with an angled brace on the dry side, the gaps being filled with 2m concrete planks, we then fill in behind to level and gain a couple of metres of flat, useable garden.

    I'm worried about driving piles this close to the neighbours although doubtless the water will absorb much of the energy.

    Anyone got experience? What happens if next doors' wall collapses because of our contractors' activities? Our problem, their problem, contractors' problem?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    I can only speak from a BKK perspective concerning pilings.

    Normally, before any project the neighbors have to be informed about the pilings. A survey is done to set a base of current cracks. Ideally, if cracks occur because of the driving of the pilings, then the owner of the home that is building is responsible for those cracks.

    Now please remember TIT...

  3. #3
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    SBF is the piles expert on here ain't he,,,
    Wasn't he the one complaining about them awhile back???

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,777
    Quote Originally Posted by More Volts Igor
    Anyone got experience? What happens if next doors' wall collapses because of our contractors' activities? Our problem, their problem, contractors' problem?
    Contractors problem as long as he doesn't do a runner.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,777
    Although if it gets down and dirty then it is your problem as you told him to do it

  6. #6
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    really depends on "Who is the farang" , thats the one whose fault it is...

  7. #7
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    26-03-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by More Volts Igor
    Our contractor wants to use driven concrete 'H' piles with an angled brace on the dry side, the gaps being filled with 2m concrete planks
    Do you a price per metre for this as it might be what I will want to use for our property by the river

  8. #8
    Sukhumvet
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,356
    I believe it is the hydraulic vibration pile drivers that cause the most physical problems as they set up waves in the ground. The more common impact ones are just noisy. But yes like renting a car a few pictures would be a good idea, if they let you. Also your neigbhors if they have the same construction should be sympathetic.

  9. #9
    SE Asia somewhere
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    20-05-2018 @ 08:30 AM
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    9,326
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    SBF is the piles expert on here ain't he,,,
    Wasn't he the one complaining about them awhile back???
    yeah, but mine haven't reached the 'driven' stage yet

  10. #10
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    OK,

  11. #11
    Member More Volts Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    10-09-2015 @ 02:35 PM
    Location
    Pathum Thani.
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnwadrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by More Volts Igor
    Our contractor wants to use driven concrete 'H' piles with an angled brace on the dry side, the gaps being filled with 2m concrete planks
    Do you a price per metre for this as it might be what I will want to use for our property by the river
    I'll have to check with the Missus, IIRC we were quoted 3k Baht per metre all in. We're not in a cheap area though, so your mileage may vary.

    Do note that we don't have flowing water just up and down with the tide, I'm not sure how well this technique will withstand riverbank erosion.
    Last edited by More Volts Igor; 04-04-2008 at 11:19 AM.

  12. #12
    Sukhumvet
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    SBF is the piles expert on here ain't he,,,
    Wasn't he the one complaining about them awhile back???
    yeah, but mine haven't reached the 'driven' stage yet

    SBF.

    I notice from your avitar that " You did get where you are today by not being driven"

  13. #13
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    26-03-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Posts
    1,289
    ^^ Thanks MVI, the river bank is about 10 metres wide and at present is two metres above river level we are looking to add another metre of protection around our 2 rai just in case. I assume the concrete planks are reinforced with rebar, looks like a better solution than building a reinforced block wall probably quicker too.

  14. #14
    Member More Volts Igor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    10-09-2015 @ 02:35 PM
    Location
    Pathum Thani.
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnwadrick View Post
    I assume the concrete planks are reinforced with rebar, looks like a better solution than building a reinforced block wall probably quicker too.
    Yep, the planks have a reinforcing mesh embedded.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •