Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1091
  1. #76
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by BoganInParasite View Post
    builders choice.
    OK. Well, until someone can explain the technicalities of using blocks for boxing instead of cheap planks that can be used over and over for other boxing jobs, I'd be taking a closer look at this chap's choices in future. I mean if he's going to do needless expenses that you're paying for...

    As I have indicated, I don't know, but it does seem to me to be totally unneccessary.

  2. #77
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084

    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #78
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084

    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #79
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    This is the last photo for today. Dated 27/9/18. Tomorrow I'll post up until status as at yesterday. For the rest of the day I'll respond to anyone kind enough to show an interest. Hope you've enjoyed so far. Wife and I already pleased with the feedback on the land and views. We know we got mega lucky on finding and securing this land. We went so close to missing out on it and at one stage when we thought we had, we were devastated. - BiP

    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #80
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    16,871
    Looking good so far, BiP.

  6. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:11 PM
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    OK. Well, until someone can explain the technicalities of using blocks for boxing instead of cheap planks that can be used over and over for other boxing jobs, I'd be taking a closer look at this chap's choices in future. I mean if he's going to do needless expenses that you're paying for...

    As I have indicated, I don't know, but it does seem to me to be totally unneccessary.
    Maanam

    I actually like the way he has used the blocks rather than planks. In 3 of the 4 pictures he hasn't got anything buyt instead used the walls of the holes.
    Once the concrete has been placed/poured then that is job done no need to get inthere and try and remove boxing.
    As for your idea that planks can be used again and again, that is not quite true as they eventually get to much crap on then and they can't be used.
    It is also (in my opinion) a tedious task trying to place them and then support them against the weight of the concrete being placed.

    It would be interesting to actually see what it would cost using both methods but I think you would find that the difference would be neglible once the extra work invovled with planks is accounted for. But then again I'm an Engineer like him so maybe that's the problem.

    BiP
    As for rotating the pictures I just lean to 1 side. If I really want to look at it in more detail I save it to my computer then open it and rotate it.
    Must be one of those "features" here that randomly gives you a sideview just like your house plans previously that I (and others) couldn't see.

    1200 sqm is 3/4 of a Rai in case you weren't aware. Sometimes when I am trying to keep on top of the weeds/grass here I would like our house yard to be smaller than the 2 Rai it is.

    As for the light getting into the kitchen why couldn't you leave out the wall between it and the top of the stairs? That way the light coming through the doors (looks like 2 sliding) into the dining room which I am assuming is what that area at the top of the stairs is. I don't believe the wall would be a supporting wall.

    Anyway its looking good and I must congratulate you on reaching 50 posts so quickly. When I started the thread about our build only 10 posts were required before you could post images, I would never have made it to 50 before the build was finished. I haven't even made 300 in over 8 years.

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Thank you Neverna. - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Looking good so far, BiP.

  8. #83
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Posts
    28,254
    Great thread matey! Keep up the good work............

  9. #84
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks Loy Toy, just selected 44 landscape photos that I'll post tomorrow to bring us up to yesterday (Sunday). Going to the site again tomorrow so may do an afternoon post as well. - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Great thread matey! Keep up the good work............

  10. #85
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Hi ootai, I'm going to take the easy way out and restrict future posts to landscape photos. Initially I would have liked a larger lot but now quite happy. From the front of the house we'll secure the back yard in a secure and snake proof yard. That will be for dogs, vegetable gardens and grandkids when they visit. The wife has claimed the front yard to the road boundary for a multitude of fruit trees. She has an outstanding green thumb and grown more than thirty seedlings from seed over the past five months. Might post a photo of that later in the week. Spoke to the wife about your kitchen wall suggestion. We've decided neither of us want a semi-open one. And besides, the wall is already built. We'll just turn on lights when needed. Regards, - BiP.

    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post

    BiP
    As for rotating the pictures I just lean to 1 side. If I really want to look at it in more detail I save it to my computer then open it and rotate it.
    Must be one of those "features" here that randomly gives you a sideview just like your house plans previously that I (and others) couldn't see.

    1200 sqm is 3/4 of a Rai in case you weren't aware. Sometimes when I am trying to keep on top of the weeds/grass here I would like our house yard to be smaller than the 2 Rai it is.

    As for the light getting into the kitchen why couldn't you leave out the wall between it and the top of the stairs? That way the light coming through the doors (looks like 2 sliding) into the dining room which I am assuming is what that area at the top of the stairs is. I don't believe the wall would be a supporting wall.

    Anyway its looking good and I must congratulate you on reaching 50 posts so quickly. When I started the thread about our build only 10 posts were required before you could post images, I would never have made it to 50 before the build was finished. I haven't even made 300 in over 8 years.

  11. #86
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Posts
    4,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Well, until someone can explain the technicalities of using blocks for boxing instead of cheap planks
    Why not? I do it whenever possible as well. Firstly, wooden planks are not so easily available in Thailand and not so cheap. Perhaps already the number of the blocks is cheaper than the wood planks needed (Block = 4 - 5 Baht)

    Add the workmanship and time spent for the assembly of the formwork, then afterwards again for the removing, 50 % of the planks will not be re-usable.

    Moreover, the mass of the concrete blocks contributes to the mass of the whole concrete object.

  12. #87
    Freelance Astronaut
    Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 AM
    Location
    Dubai and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    1,719
    I'm enjoying reading someone else's thread!!

    Very nice so far - you must be happy with everything.

    Keep the pics comin' because we need to catch up with where you are now.

  13. #88
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    Why not? I do it whenever possible as well. Firstly, wooden planks are not so easily available in Thailand and not so cheap. Perhaps already the number of the blocks is cheaper than the wood planks needed (Block = 4 - 5 Baht)

    Add the workmanship and time spent for the assembly of the formwork, then afterwards again for the removing, 50 % of the planks will not be re-usable.

    Moreover, the mass of the concrete blocks contributes to the mass of the whole concrete object.
    OK Klondyke and Oootai...I can see that. Thanks for those insights.
    I'm not totally convinced, but I'll leave it at that except for, "Moreover, the mass of the concrete blocks contributes to the mass of the whole concrete object" which is, I suspect, the rationale of the builder in using the blocks. That simply doesn't make sense because the footing boxing can be built to whatever width, ie including the total width of blocks plus poured concrete,
    Cheers.

  14. #89
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Posts
    4,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Moreover, the mass of the concrete blocks contributes to the mass of the whole concrete object"
    What I have meant is that the mass of the blocks create also part of the footing (quasi pre-fabricated), so by this mass we spend less of the cast concrete...

    By suitable usage of these quite cheap blocks (they are made almost at every village by a simple press machine) you can construct a complete house without necessity to erect the columns (saus) and the more difficult horizontal formwork for beams connecting the column tops.

    If you look how it is almost everywhere in Thailand built, such column and beam constructure takes often 2 - 3 months with lot of wooden material and hundreds of bamboo sticks. Instead of this you can built in the same time a complete house with walls of these cinder blocks, double laid with cavity in-between, thus getting some 20cm thick wall. As a foundation a trench deep 50 - 60 cm (depends on quality of the soil) be made with reinforced concrete ring cast between again such cinder blocks.

    In the corners in-lieu of the usual columns (saus) you create such vertical reinforced column with concrete cast into a vertical formwork created again by such blocks. On the top of walls a reinforced ring with steel profile as a base for welded roof structure. All the reinforcement bars, horizontal and vertical ones, are interconnected.

    By this style you get not only faster and cheaper construction - easy to bulid with 4 - 5 village brick layers (chang pun) - but a cool house where the outside wall does not bring the heat onto the inside clad. And in the cavity all installations (water, electro) can be embedded.

  15. #90
    Newbie Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    25-02-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Location
    Perth/Chiang Rai
    Posts
    21
    Great thread BiP


    Looking forward to the next batch of photos, beautiful countryside around Nan, which side of town are you building ?


    I like to get out that way on my motorbike each year

  16. #91
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 AM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by BoganInParasite View Post

    BiP ... you were concerned about the depth of the footings.

    Looking at that soil profile, it looks undisturbed (as in well settled and not fill) and the footing look fine, great actually ... I wouldn't worry for a second.


    Re the cinder blocks being used to encase the footing ... I've seen that used before and the cost of the cinder blocks, in the scheme of things is negligible.

    Looking the ring beam formation and the extensive use of reo ... looks you also have a good builder, not cutting corners.

    Well done.

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

    .

  17. #92
    Utopian Expat
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,172
    Welcome to the forum BIP,

    Tip top thread!

    You have a slice of paradise with those views, looking forward to your updates.

    All the best

    CCC

  18. #93
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Thank you and will do TD. Only on page 49 of yours, still loving it though. - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp View Post
    I'm enjoying reading someone else's thread!!

    Very nice so far - you must be happy with everything.

    Keep the pics comin' because we need to catch up with where you are now.

  19. #94
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Hi Rivo, thanks for the comment. We are currently renting a house in Nan city. Our land is near Pua which is 65 kilometers north of Nan on route 101. Once you get to Pua you head east about 5 kilometers to our land. We see lots of 'big bikes' in Nan province on the weekends mainly. I think Nan province is somewhat known great bike riding. Good quality and wide roads running across interesting mountain landscapes. And less other vehicles because of the much lower population density than elsewhere in Thailand. The other thing I find surprising is the appalling Thai driving skills and habits are much less prevalent. I'm yet to have been placed in a dangerous situation by other drivers in Nan province and I certainly can't say that for all of the other provinces I've driven over the years. - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Great thread BiP


    Looking forward to the next batch of photos, beautiful countryside around Nan, which side of town are you building ?


    I like to get out that way on my motorbike each year

  20. #95
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Thank you CCC. Lots more photos about to be posted. - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Welcome to the forum BIP,

    Tip top thread!

    You have a slice of paradise with those views, looking forward to your updates.

    All the best

    CCC

  21. #96
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084
    Greetings all. Making an early start and am about to post 44 photos in lots of two that will take us from 27 September to last Sunday 14 October. I can't be bothered to try to work out how to stop the portrait mode photos from being rotated 90 degrees so from now on I'll post only in landscape mode. I'll take that into account from now on when onsite and taking photos. There will be a little bit of commentary on some of the photos I'm about to post.

    We are going to the site today so I'll do an afternoon/evening post today for that visit. On the way back to Nan today we'll be buying the floor tiles. Already made the selection, just wanted confirmation from our builder Mark of the quantities of each he needs. Seems his formula is actual sqm plus 5%.

    Regards,
    BiP

  22. #97
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084


    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #98
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084


    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #99
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084


    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #100
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    1,084


    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •