Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,044

    Tesla's solar roof tiles.

    I was reading this this morning and the following made it very interesting for the simple and apt formula: "Still, for the tile to be successful its cost must not exceed the value of the homeowner’s current energy costs, plus traditional roofing costs."
    Tesla's tiles apparently will.
    I'd be interested to know how much heat reflection the tiles offer in comparison to other common Thai roofing materials. If the Tesla tiles also reflect heat well, then they would certainly be a good thing for Thailand.

    More here; https://www.niftyhomestead.com/blog/...n=rss_pushcrew

  2. #2
    Sukhumvet
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam
    "Still, for the tile to be successful its cost must not exceed the value of the homeowner’s current energy costs, plus traditional roofing costs."
    For it to be truly successful in terms of reducing reliance on fossil fuels then the cost of installation should be the same as traditional roofing costs. If the energy is free from the sun then it should be free to the user.

    This is no different to the old "the double glazing will pay for itself" nonsense

    Solar panels are cheap enough already but no much cop for heating water and the house etc.
    No one on TD is gay. If suspect, it was probably because of the way they were reared.
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    For it to be truly successful in terms of reducing reliance on fossil fuels then the cost of installation should be the same as traditional roofing costs. If the energy is free from the sun then it should be free to the user.
    I see your reasoning but I disagree. It's a person's bottom line that matters and is the motivating factor to encourage a system that reduces fossil fuel usage. If at the end of 30 years the home-owner has saved $xxxx, then that is great for the home-owner. The fact that it reduces the reliance on fossil fuels is a wonderful bonus for the planet.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,515
    The big selling point for me is when coupled with a Tesla powerwall it makes comfortable off grid living a reality.

    https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

  5. #5
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    21-09-2017 @ 01:17 AM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    204
    I also considered that on the face of it, this option might me good for me and indeed other builders here. So I sent an enquiry to Tesla to check it out and get the options re area, storage, etc. That was at the start of the year. I am still awaiting the response and answers. Not so good for the so-say leader in revolutionising how we see and tap into solar and renewable energy.

    That said, my own research covering purchasing and that installation suggests a very many multi year pay back. Not the quick or even medium term fix I was hoping for, but maybe things have changed? What's the latest anyone found with regards to the total costs of the installation against the savings it can bring"

  6. #6
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    29-06-2017 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    126
    Add these to 3D printed houses, that are printed in 3 days, and the World is definitely changing.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    The big selling point for me is when coupled with a Tesla powerwall it makes comfortable off grid living a reality.
    That's an attraction for me too and is recognised in the article. They gave a small tip of the hat to that aspect, and fair enough too as most city slickers wouldn't consider that aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    That said, my own research covering purchasing and that installation suggests a very many multi year pay back.
    Much of the research you found may have been out of date. Since the release of the tiles it's been shown that the cost for roofing in Tesla tiles is a lot lower than originally predicted.
    It's true that there is a bigger initial cost. What's needed now is governments to get behind it and subsidise the initial cost because otherwise it's only the rich that will invest in this. Same old story: you need money to make money )or save it i this case).

  8. #8
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    21-09-2017 @ 01:17 AM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    The big selling point for me is when coupled with a Tesla powerwall it makes comfortable off grid living a reality.
    That's an attraction for me too and is recognised in the article. They gave a small tip of the hat to that aspect, and fair enough too as most city slickers wouldn't consider that aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    That said, my own research covering purchasing and that installation suggests a very many multi year pay back.
    Much of the research you found may have been out of date. Since the release of the tiles it's been shown that the cost for roofing in Tesla tiles is a lot lower than originally predicted.
    It's true that there is a bigger initial cost. What's needed now is governments to get behind it and subsidise the initial cost because otherwise it's only the rich that will invest in this. Same old story: you need money to make money )or save it i this case).
    You hit the nail on the head though... That initial capital outlay continues to make it uneconomic. Isn't the payback ...initial costs reduced by the power cost savings around 20 years? That is prohibitive. We all want it to be a success but until that cost against payback becomes more reasonable it's hard for even the most ardent environmentalists to justify it. Tesla? Cut the unit cost! Governments!? Subsidise this idea!. Sadly, unlikely in the current economic climate .

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:13 AM
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    That initial capital outlay continues to make it uneconomic. Isn't the payback ...initial costs reduced by the power cost savings around 20 years? That is prohibitive. We all want it to be a success but until that cost against payback becomes more reasonable it's hard for even the most ardent environmentalists to justify it. Tesla? Cut the unit cost! Governments!? Subsidise this idea!. Sadly, unlikely in the current economic climate .
    And how long will the tiles last? 20 years? Seems unlikely. Must one therefore include replacement tiles and maintenance costs in the evaluation?
    Brilliant technology but, as you pointed out, hardly viable for the private consumer at this stage.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,515
    It is new technology and as is expected the price always starts out high. Tesla is not the first company to make these roof tiles Dow chemical was the first but they have since stopped manufacturing. Eventually the price will drop as this tech is not going away.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    And how long will the tiles last? 20 years?
    They say 30, and possibly longer. The tempered glass is tough stuff!

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:13 AM
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    And how long will the tiles last? 20 years?
    They say 30, and possibly longer. The tempered glass is tough stuff!
    Sounds pretty good.

    It'd be so good if people started making things to last like they used to.

  13. #13
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    25,690
    Tesla will begin with production of two of the four styles it unveiled in October: a smooth glass and a textured glass tile. 1 Roofing a 2,000 square-foot home in New York state—with 40 percent coverage of active solar tiles and battery backup for night-time use—would cost about $50,000 after federal tax credits and generate $64,000 in energy over 30 years, according to Tesla’s website calculator.

    That’s more expensive upfront than a typical roof, but less expensive than a typical roof with traditional solar and back-up batteries. The warranty is for the lifetime of your home.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-you-to-buy
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    2,905
    Given the price of electricity in Thailand I wouldn't consider investing a cent in the current technology as there is so much on the horizon.

    3D Printed solar panels on plastic film ... under production.
    The creators of printed solar said it could form part of the answer to the so-called energy crisis —
    an installation the same size as what is being trialled at the university has the potential to provide half
    the power needed for an average home.
    When production ramps up to full-scale, printed solar could power thousands of homes.
    "We estimate now that even based on our small printer, that we can print hundreds of
    metres of solar cells every day which means that we'll be able to power using scaled up
    printers, say thousands and thousands of homes... it's very exciting."
    Printed solar is expected to be available commercially in about three years time - and it's not just designed to go on roofs.
    "One of the things about these cells is that they're not as sensitive to light intensity," Professor Dastoor said.

    "Any part of the roof will generate electricity; even walls, windows, surfaces of vehicles, tents, lightweight
    structures, roofs that can't take a heavy conventional silicone solar cells are now accessible to these modules.

    "We will massively increase the area of solar cells that we can produce and generate power from, so we think
    it's going to be a big change to the way in which we think about power being generated renewably."

    Perspective is everything ... it's the difference between going through an ordeal or going through an adventure..

  15. #15
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    25,690
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    It is new technology and as is expected the price always starts out high. Tesla is not the first company to make these roof tiles Dow chemical was the first but they have since stopped manufacturing. Eventually the price will drop as this tech is not going away.
    Yep.

    On September 21, 1983, Motorola made history when the FCC approved the 8000X, the world's first commercial portable cell phone. It cost consumers a whopping $3,995 at the time.

    $4,000.00 in 1983 had the same buying power as $9,894.75 in 2017.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101
    And how long will the tiles last? 20 years?
    They say 30, and possibly longer. The tempered glass is tough stuff!

    Actually they said when you tear down that building the tiles are good as new and can be placed on a new building. That may be true for the tile function. But I don't know how long the solar cells last.
    "don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence"

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    Printed solar is expected to be available commercially in about three years time - and it's not just designed to go on roofs.
    In 3 years. That has been true for the last 15 years and will still be true in another 10 years. The problem with printed was and still is durability. They also need encapsulation, protection against wind and rain and hail, like all conventional solar panels.

    The advantage of solar roof tiles is their looks plus no added encapsulation needed. They are themselves the best possible encapsulation.

    If they can solve durability printed will be good for Mars. No rain and hail there.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,089
    We had another thread on Tesla solar roof tiles but I can not locate it now. Here a few YouTube videos on it.




  19. #19
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    25,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers
    We had another thread on Tesla solar roof tiles but I can not locate it now.
    http://teakdoor.com/construction-in-...powerwall.html (Tesla Powerwall)

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers
    We had another thread on Tesla solar roof tiles but I can not locate it now.
    http://teakdoor.com/construction-in-...powerwall.html (Tesla Powerwall)
    This is about the power wall. There was a thread on it when it was first introduced. Among others I posted a video that commented on some potential drawbacks.

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    25,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers
    Among others I posted a video that commented on some potential drawbacks.
    This one? If not I give up.

    http://teakdoor.com/world-news/12387...ml#post3388935 (Fossil Fuel Alternatives)

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers
    Among others I posted a video that commented on some potential drawbacks.
    This one? If not I give up.

    http://teakdoor.com/world-news/12387...ml#post3388935 (Fossil Fuel Alternatives)

    Thanks. Looks like this is the one. I had thought it was a standalone thread and it seems like I was wrong. It is part of the Fossil Fuel Alternatives thread.

    Here the video again, from there, that has a critical, but not negative, look at the concept.


  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    05-08-2017 @ 07:12 PM
    Posts
    70
    This has being a subject of interest to me.
    My US , Florida home roof is now 18 years old and the asphalt roof shingles are nearing their useful life span and will need replacement in the near future. My electric bill now averages about $180 a month ot a cost of $50,000 it will take 23 years to recoup the initial investment , less if electric bills go up as they are sure to do.but then again you would have to consider the opportunity cost of $50,000 .
    A conventional re-roofing will cost me $12,000 so that leaves $38000 invested at a 6% return $190 per month which pays my monthly electric bill and leaves my principle intact and liquid.
    If I invested $50,000 in a solar roof and I decided to sell the house, will I recoup my investment, and how will it affect the available pool of buyers? (will it be reduced only to those who are willing to pay 50,000 extra for a home with solar roof tiles).
    Finally , where will the technology be in ten years? will I try to sell a house with obsolete tech?
    I am thinking about all these and I will appreciate a critique on my thinking and or math.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    will it be reduced only to those who are willing to pay 50,000 extra for a home with solar roof tiles).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    A conventional re-roofing will cost me $12,000 so that leaves $38000 invested
    One bit of maths awry. 38000, not 50000.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    My US , Florida home roof is now 18 years old and the asphalt roof shingles are nearing their useful life span
    Tesla tiles should last 30 years. Normal roof; 20 years. You'd factor 1.5 into the advantages column as well as the power savings.

  25. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    05-09-2017 @ 10:09 PM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    will it be reduced only to those who are willing to pay 50,000 extra for a home with solar roof tiles).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    A conventional re-roofing will cost me $12,000 so that leaves $38000 invested
    One bit of maths awry. 38000, not 50000.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
    My US , Florida home roof is now 18 years old and the asphalt roof shingles are nearing their useful life span
    Tesla tiles should last 30 years. Normal roof; 20 years. You'd factor 1.5 into the advantages column as well as the power savings.
    It would seem everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room.
    Solar panels do indeed generate 'free'electricity but to make that useful you need an inverter which converts DC voltage from the panels to AC 50/60 Hz depending on where you live. These are not cheap and don't have a thirty year life span.
    Factor that into your total cost of ownership sums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •