Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 377
  1. #76
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    The raising of your footprint allows for good drainage of water during the yearly rainy season. Unless you want water running across your yard, which can cause foundation damage, I would recommend raising your building plot. I thought I would not need to, but after four rainy seasons, I am glad I did. Fill dirt is cheap in Thailand.
    Yeah... I was kinda in two minds about it... as it did not flood, I thought...probably OK, but thinking again, maybe if I do not secure the plot to the left, and then it's sold elsewhere and they build on it, and raise up their side, maybe I WOULD have a problem...

  2. #77
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,049
    Good thinking. A tractor usually accompanies the truckloads of fill dirt and as long as you mark your building site, they will slope the land for proper drainage. Just keep an eye on them and let the land settle through one rainy season, which is coming up in June.

  3. #78
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Good thinking. A tractor usually accompanies the truckloads of fill dirt and as long as you mark your building site, they will slope the land for proper drainage. Just keep an eye on them and let the land settle through one rainy season, which is coming up in June.
    and I am going back briefly in May so good timing all round

    Piling will be involved in this build, BTW

  4. #79
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Posts
    44,470
    No sketches?

  5. #80
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    No sketches?
    Sketches will come in due course..

    All sorts of drawings, ideas, plans etc

    stay tuned!

  6. #81
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    25,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    Piling will be involved in this build, BTW
    Good. Will be well below any fill. Fill primarily to get standing water drained off after heavy rain.
    Really worth sorting out your drainage.
    We have a recent cost for fill thread. Will find it and link you.

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    Hi Norton... well, we will have some small leveling to do for the footprint of the build itself but I was not planning or raising the whole plot up. I suppose it could be done, did not think it was necessary as there has been nil flooding over that ground since records began.
    IMO The whole thing needs to be not only higher than the road but higher than you think anyone else would reasonably fill

    Sounds ridiculous, but trust me, once you get built, other people will come and do the same.

    If you don't fill, or stay at road level, in 5 or 10 years you will be the lowest home in the street.

    My first build was on a plot that looks like that with the concrete road & power. I went 30 cm higher than the road on all of it (half rai) and made myself a reference point in the concrete road. Transferred my level around the property with a water level from my reference point.

    It was my first house, and now there are 5 on that street. That house is now sold but thank god I did it as the other homes did the same.

    Food for thought.

  8. #83
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,399
    Maybe I missed it but exactly how big is the land?

  9. #84
    Thailand Expat
    David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    3,133
    I'll also ad my voice to a slightly raised pad to build upon.

    Just gives you options later with respect to drainage, landscaping etc.

    It's always nice to slightly look 'up' to a home that 'at' (level) or 'down' upon a home.

    Are you going to have a pond? A wee bit of fishing? (We are fish farmers so we assume that everyone likes a pond, or two)

    You could use the earth taken from the pond (after raising a small bank levee) to form the pad if it's of the right consistency.
    .
    Perspective is everything ... it's the difference between going through an ordeal or going through an adventure..

  10. #85
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Maybe I missed it but exactly how big is the land?
    plot 2 is around 1 rai

    plot 1 is around 2.5 rai

  11. #86
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    Piling will be involved in this build, BTW
    Good. Will be well below any fill. Fill primarily to get standing water drained off after heavy rain.
    Really worth sorting out your drainage.
    We have a recent cost for fill thread. Will find it and link you.
    thanks Norton, im heading towards the total fill option now


    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    Hi Norton... well, we will have some small leveling to do for the footprint of the build itself but I was not planning or raising the whole plot up. I suppose it could be done, did not think it was necessary as there has been nil flooding over that ground since records began.
    IMO The whole thing needs to be not only higher than the road but higher than you think anyone else would reasonably fill

    Sounds ridiculous, but trust me, once you get built, other people will come and do the same.

    If you don't fill, or stay at road level, in 5 or 10 years you will be the lowest home in the street.

    My first build was on a plot that looks like that with the concrete road & power. I went 30 cm higher than the road on all of it (half rai) and made myself a reference point in the concrete road. Transferred my level around the property with a water level from my reference point.

    It was my first house, and now there are 5 on that street. That house is now sold but thank god I did it as the other homes did the same.

    Food for thought.
    agreed Slick and good call... i was in 2 minds but i think its the way to go so when i go back i will be arranging this.

  12. #87
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    I'll also ad my voice to a slightly raised pad to build upon.

    Just gives you options later with respect to drainage, landscaping etc.

    It's always nice to slightly look 'up' to a home that 'at' (level) or 'down' upon a home.

    Are you going to have a pond? A wee bit of fishing? (We are fish farmers so we assume that everyone likes a pond, or two)

    You could use the earth taken from the pond (after raising a small bank levee) to form the pad if it's of the right consistency.
    .
    yeah, cheers David... i got my mind made up....

  13. #88
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    Are you going to have a pond? A wee bit of fishing? (We are fish farmers so we assume that everyone likes a pond, or two)

    You could use the earth taken from the pond (after raising a small bank levee) to form the pad if it's of the right consistency.
    Plot 2 is not big enough to have a pond, but maybe on plot 1 we can do something later

    Princess Joy has already got a lot of 'plans' for growing stuff...

  14. #89
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    3,949
    Good luck on the build and thanks for taking the time to post the pics ect. As for filling the land you won't regret it. I on the other hand had a house built long before I ran across this forum and all the good advice on building therein.

    Two things come to mind. First off I was asked if I wanted to fill the land up a bit. The footprint is at the crest of a hill with a river in front a creek in back quite a ways off. I asked mil (it's her farm land) if it has a history of flooding at that spot and she said no. So I neglected to raise the footprint. I recall telling my better half that if it was susceptible to flooding we should find another place to build. It has never flooded but the place would look better if we had a few steps leading up to a deck and then the entryway. To put it simply I was beeing cheep at the time.

    Second, they asked what I wanted to build the upper elevation out of. I said wood. Not that it was a bad choice but looking back we could have done a few things differently like using spancreet for the decks so they could be tiled easily. The place is not finished so I still have options but looking back we didn't have the best of plans. You being a builder I suspect will have it all well planned to begin with so shouldn't have those hick ups. Again good luck with it.

  15. #90
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    Last photo is looking back up the road, and showing the lower level farm land on the left. The photo is a little deceptive as the car is definitely higher up than the place where I took the picture! its all very rural and quiet.
    OOOPs... my mistake! Of course the photo looks as if its going down... because it is!!! i am of course standing UP the hill, looking down the road ahead, and the car IS lower than me. the plot is the large overgrown area on the left hand side, with the mango tree plot further down again.

    its v tiring posting these photos which is what led to me becoming disorientated as to where i am.

  16. #91
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlocker
    Good luck on the build and thanks for taking the time to post the pics ect.
    Thanks mate... im hoping it will all go v well, with a full photo diary to confirm!

    some pix soon of how we arrived at the design...

  17. #92
    Thailand Expat
    Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    17,715
    interesting thread Dhupp, cheers for sharing

  18. #93
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    interesting thread Dhupp, cheers for sharing
    welcome! happy to share, and as soon as i have some actual build pix, they will be straight on here

  19. #94
    Member stevefarang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 01:57 AM
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    935
    Congrats on the build !

    I'll also agree that it is good to raise the area where the house will be built. We raised ours up a good meter and we've never had a flooding issue.

    It's a little late, but I'm a fan of photobucket for my house pictures. I found it fairly easy to link them to my house building thread.

    Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    Steve

  20. #95
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    im heading towards the total fill option now
    I'm planning on going the other way.
    Dig a pond over most of the plot and build a house on stilts in the middle of the pond.
    A flat concrete roof will provide the kitchen garden and extra open-air lounging space.

    I like the serenity of being over water and there seems to be extra security (against snakes if nothing else, plus it will be nice to drop a line off the front veranda now and then.

  21. #96
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by stevefarang View Post
    Congrats on the build !

    I'll also agree that it is good to raise the area where the house will be built. We raised ours up a good meter and we've never had a flooding issue.

    It's a little late, but I'm a fan of photobucket for my house pictures. I found it fairly easy to link them to my house building thread.

    Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    Steve
    thanks Steve... yes, i tried to get on Photobucket first but they took so long to send the link email, that I looked at the other options too.

    Slick mentioned Imgur: I looked I joined I tried... really simple to use so I went with it. It resizes the pics automatically when u upload into the thread, so...anything for the easy life!

  22. #97
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    im heading towards the total fill option now
    I'm planning on going the other way.
    Dig a pond over most of the plot and build a house on stilts in the middle of the pond.
    A flat concrete roof will provide the kitchen garden and extra open-air lounging space.

    I like the serenity of being over water and there seems to be extra security (against snakes if nothing else, plus it will be nice to drop a line off the front veranda now and then.
    I can totally relate to this too, BTW... for us though, the water table is too low, i think we would be digging forever to hit water.

    Will you employ the ferry-boat option or go with the drawbridge?

    Some of those snakes are quite good swimmers, so I heard.

  23. #98
    Newbie Radar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    14-10-2017 @ 09:05 AM
    Location
    Melbourne en route to Isaan
    Posts
    8
    Great reading TD. Thank you for sharing and the valuable comments made by members. We have also added fill to our land of about 440m2 and await the end of the rains before construction, hopefully in November. The height above the paved road is about 1m & the cost was quite reasonable. Family checked it out during Songkran & give the thumbs up.

  24. #99
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dhupp
    go with the drawbridge?
    I have a two-half drawbridge planned. Each half acts as a barrier to falling in on each side, so about two metres in total.
    Yeah, snakes can swim, but the piles can be snake-proof, and the whole shebang is uninviting to your average thief.

    As for the water table, I'm envisioning a floored and walled pond...a concrete pool.

  25. #100
    Member Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Abu Dhabi and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Great reading TD. Thank you for sharing and the valuable comments made by members. We have also added fill to our land of about 440m2 and await the end of the rains before construction, hopefully in November. The height above the paved road is about 1m & the cost was quite reasonable. Family checked it out during Songkran & give the thumbs up.
    hi Radar... glad the thread is useful. where are you building yours?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •