Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 153
  1. #76

  • #77
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:02 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    28,234
    Everything looking great, JPPR2.

  • #78
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Everything looking great, JPPR2.
    Hows it going "Goat" Roper...Thanks on house stuff. How is your car port going?

  • #79
    Thailand Expat Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Wat Thafookhisit near to Wat Chamakhorlit
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    it's the landscaping and other finishing touches that make it your home. Feathering the nest.
    Agreed. When I bought 'Gazza Mansions' I decorated inside and out and furnished all rooms within a couple of weeks. For months after, it felt like I was living in a show house of a housing project.

    It was only when we started buying ornaments, paintings, hanging framed photos etc., and the newness of everything waned, also no longer fearing the ruffling of pillows or touching a painted surface lest it left a fingerprint, that we could then relax and settle into our homely home.

  • #80
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959

    Other well cover

    We have 2 wells on our property. We decided to do the same brick around the cement tubes but opted to install a different cover. This is all SST except the wood looking part, that is printed aluminum. We will likely put some plants on it. We put the covers over the wells for safety reasons. These are inexpensive to have made and look nice.


  • #81
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    it's the landscaping and other finishing touches that make it your home. Feathering the nest.
    Agreed. When I bought 'Gazza Mansions' I decorated inside and out and furnished all rooms within a couple of weeks. For months after, it felt like I was living in a show house of a housing project.

    It was only when we started buying ornaments, paintings, hanging framed photos etc., and the newness of everything waned, also no longer fearing the ruffling of pillows or touching a painted surface lest it left a fingerprint, that we could then relax and settle into our homely home.
    I like that...."Gazza Mansions".

    To your point, Its nice to go buy all the pretty stuff but you have to use it to feel like its yours and not some rented stuff. In the US people do that all the time, they buy thousands of dollars worth of very expensive furniture and furnishing for a living room and people can never sit in it. Its like a model home.

    I am using it all as soon as its installed. I could die tomorrow.

  • #82
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959

    Lesson's learned

    So with all good plans there are always mistakes. Well sort of. For anyone building a home one thing is the Kitchen and eating area. You can plan on one thing but be prepared to have it change. When my wife and I embarked on our home we built in a nice kitchen upstairs. What happened was we set up an outdoor eating area with some furniture we brought over and it just stuck with us. Our house always has an excellent breeze all the time so we we decided it was far more convenient and comfortable to cook and eat down stairs. We still use the upstairs kitchen area at night and for other stuff but it will never be fully utilized. It isn't a bad thing but just something to consider.

    With that said we have built an enclosed kitchen out back. The construction team built it in when they built the car park area. We took some very old Teak furniture that we had from my FIL and refinished it and moved it into the kitchen area. We also bought some table tops and sink area from Thai Watsadu cheap. My FIL plumbed in the water lines and drains. We will have a small table in the middle to enjoy meals. I had to sacrifice my fridge where I kept my beer and soda's to the kitchen.







    One thing I get a big laugh about here in Thailand is it seems everything you buy at Homepro or Powerbuy they give you a microwave oven. We have 4 of them now in a box. You can see one on the floor in one pic stacked on another we just took out. I told my wife "Quit taking them, I do not care if they give them to us, we can't seem to give them away" Of course we all know our Thai wives...they will take anything. My wife never ever uses a microwave when cooking.

  • #83
    Thailand Expat
    Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3,717
    JPRR2 , I would buy one of those if the price is right. I need one for a special experiment. 555

    Really, if you want to sell one, please let me know what brand and price.

    Thanks,

    ELI

  • #84
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    JPRR2 , I would buy one of those if the price is right. I need one for a special experiment. 555

    Really, if you want to sell one, please let me know what brand and price.

    Thanks,

    ELI
    Let me get back home in a few weeks send you a Pic. I think 2 are Electrolux the other 2 are "who knows" brand.

  • #85
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Agree with that terranss .

    This is a perfectly good - in fact above average Thread . Neat . Nice photos . Informative .

    Why does the language and abuse seep into even this ?

    ( Very very pleasant stuff JP. )



    Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 24-07-2016 at 09:21 PM.

  • #86
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Terry, Wasp and Eliminator, we have been around this forum environment for a long time. While I appreciate Eliminator tossin some one liners at Sweaty for the bit of a harsh comment, sadly it changes nothing. I have found its best to ignore and move on. Sweaty is a multi nic clearly but in the end it doesn't matter, I respect he didn't like the water deal but its his opinion. I didn't buy it for Sweaty. I just shared it with all. Again the intent of my thread is to pass on ideas, suggestions and trial and tribulations(and to have some fun).

  • #87
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    5,697
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Simply fantastic Gaff.

    One must respect the farang who can achieve this sort of result in Thailand.

    Having decent money behind one certainly sends the enjoyment factor out into the stratosphere.

    No doubt about that one.
    You know it's odd. You read all the heavy negative stuff about Thailand and scams and can't own land etc etc but if you just go about life it's all noise. I sank more into our house here then we had originally wanted to but it's all good. I really love it, I have a cool wife and it's quite comfortable. We discussed staying and buying a place in the US but you know I lived there all my life. I wanted to change it up. But I had no intentions of coming here to become a hermit or drunk. I came to live my life and have some fun. Maybe later I will become a drunk after I retire from work here in Thailand.

    Thanks again on the house comments.
    good one mate, , I did the same, married a cracking bird and bought a house as apposed to building one, 10 years later and plenty of renovations it's the way I want it , ive spent some wedge on it, but I think it's in a good location, everyone's chuffed at the result, if your gonna live in Asia might as well do it right, I take my hat of to you sir, lovely looking residence,

  • #88
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    5,697

    But

    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Hi Jeff,

    I look forward to meeting up for a barby one day. Funny, in Oz BBQ is mens work, I have been to a couple in Thailand where the ladies take over and the blokes just sit around and tell stories and drink - think I prefer the Thai way!
    me to. They simply won't let me do it. It kind of pisses me of if I'm cooking something imported and a bit special then they over cook the fucker, but by then they have been keeping my glass topped up and I'm half pissed and lost interest anyway, never mind, it s all fun

  • #89
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Posts
    34,611
    Heh...The Barby Thread...Gotta love it, guys...

  • #90
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Simply fantastic Gaff.

    One must respect the farang who can achieve this sort of result in Thailand.

    Having decent money behind one certainly sends the enjoyment factor out into the stratosphere.

    No doubt about that one.
    You know it's odd. You read all the heavy negative stuff about Thailand and scams and can't own land etc etc but if you just go about life it's all noise. I sank more into our house here then we had originally wanted to but it's all good. I really love it, I have a cool wife and it's quite comfortable. We discussed staying and buying a place in the US but you know I lived there all my life. I wanted to change it up. But I had no intentions of coming here to become a hermit or drunk. I came to live my life and have some fun. Maybe later I will become a drunk after I retire from work here in Thailand.

    Thanks again on the house comments.
    good one mate, , I did the same, married a cracking bird and bought a house as apposed to building one, 10 years later and plenty of renovations it's the way I want it , ive spent some wedge on it, but I think it's in a good location, everyone's chuffed at the result, if your gonna live in Asia might as well do it right, I take my hat of to you sir, lovely looking residence,
    BLD,
    Thanks and I agree 100%. Why move somewhere and be put out and not live like one wants. I wouldn't have done it in the US, so why here...right?.

    I want to be comfortable and relaxed. I have a nice circle of friends here both business and personal. I wanted a place that I could BBQ, sip a good Tequila or Scotch, relax and have some good projects to keep me busy. Its likely I will be tossing in a swimming pool soon. Maybe first part of next year. I am still on the fence about it.

    Cheers

  • #91
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Heh...The Barby Thread...Gotta love it, guys...
    Yeah man, Gotta have a Barby Thread. I love a good BBQ. I will set up my Darts and Horseshoe pit soon. My wife doesn't understand the games at all. I just laugh.

  • #92
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 06:07 PM
    Posts
    25,019
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post

    BLD,
    Thanks and I agree 100%. Why move somewhere and be put out and not live like one wants. I wouldn't have done it in the US, so why here...right?.

    I want to be comfortable and relaxed. I have a nice circle of friends here both business and personal. I wanted a place that I could BBQ, sip a good Tequila or Scotch, relax and have some good projects to keep me busy. Its likely I will be tossing in a swimming pool soon. Maybe first part of next year. I am still on the fence about it.

    Cheers

    You're living like a proper White man should.

    You can do that though as you have worked all your life and not pissed around here Tefling.

    A great story mate.

  • #93
    Genteel member
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,394
    Well, I think it is a lovely water feature and i love those big pots.

  • #94
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    You're living like a proper White man should.

    You can do that though as you have worked all your life and not pissed around here Tefling.

    A great story mate.
    You know Terry, there are many foreigners/expats living a very comfortable life here in Thailand(albeit most are in BKK). I have been to a few of their homes and seen others in pictures. We just never see them on forums as they are usually working or just too busy. But a house size does not define ones happiness or comfortable state. Some have chosen to pare down their living life styles to suit their personal needs and expectations. I built my house for my wife and I as we wanted the space to stretch out.

    With that said however there are some that are as you mentioned. They are living on the edge, drunk in bars all the time or moved out into no mans land not giving any consideration long term to their decisions. Those are usually the ones that post on forums about the horror stories and how its always somebodies else fault or how they got scammed by the bargirl they met or how the previous wife cleaned them out.

    Quote Originally Posted by patsycat
    Well, I think it is a lovely water feature and i love those big pots
    Hey Thanks Patsycat. Its not super fancy or over the top but I actually like sitting by it at breakfast when I can and listen to it.

  • #95
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    16-10-2017 @ 06:07 PM
    Posts
    25,019
    ^

    Yes well,

    I respect the Expat who comes here and lives a decent life with a few buks in his pocket to see things through.

    In other words, he is not working for 30 K a month with no money in reserve and just waiting till the next disaster happens with no way out.

    I've known a few guys who high tailed it out of here in their 50's who had lived here for many years just getting by.

    Both scampered home with fok all.

    Plenty of them around just hanging in by the skin of their balls.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  • #96
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Oh Yeah Terry, I concur I have known quite a few. Thought they could live the dream in Pattaya for $50K US in the bank and a pension checking coming every month. Soon they realize they have squat. Some resort to teaching to sustain themselves and that also runs its course and they realize its not such a glamorous deal. the ones that bail out back home have very little.

  • #97
    Thailand Expat
    David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post








    We had 4 AC units installed
    Mate, I like your place heaps, nice fusion of building styles and you have married them them well.

    Could I offer one humble suggestion?

    The outside air-conditioning unit (above) does visually break the clean aesthetic lines you've established.


    You could possibly erect a small faux Juliette style balcony, just a little deeper then the compressor unit (but as wide as the window) in the same wood panels you have used in your adjoining balcony.


    (please excuse the amateurish photo mod)

    Because of the angle, the wood panels would allow freedom of the airflow needed and, looking up, would mask the visual impact of the AC unit.


    Great build, I'm a jealous as heck.
    Last edited by David48atTD; 26-07-2016 at 02:32 AM.

  • #98
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    I started to read this Post from David but I was looking at the photo and thinking " Lovely house but horrible air-condition unit " .

    Then I realised the Post is in fact all about that !

    So I can only agree . That a/c unit detracts from a beautiful home.



    Wasp

  • #99
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    Could I offer one humble suggestion?

    The outside air-conditioning unit (above) does visually break the clean aesthetic lines you've established.


    You could possibly erect a small faux Juliette style balcony, just a little deeper then the compressor unit (but as wide as the window) in the same wood panels you have used in your adjoining balcony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    So I can only agree . That a/c unit detracts from a beautiful home.
    David and Waspy. I can't tell you how long I struggled with that. Originally the installer was going to put it on the balcony to the left but that had its own set of problems, 1) the piping across the front would look even worse, 2) the hot air would blow across anyone standing out there. We were going to set it on the ground like we did the Master bedroom but there was a concern about the effectiveness being the compressor might be taxed to cool the TV room having to go a long way up and of course now we have a compressor on the ground in front of the house.. Along your lines of thought we considered a small cover made of teak wood and I did a few photoshop concepts for the wife and we didn't like either. So we decided at this juncture to leave it alone and think about it. The hardest part is that its the front of the house. The installers did a super clean job so I am happy it is not some hack job that's crooked and the piping looks bad. We discussed painting it the same color as the house and we still may try that.

    Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. Its always appreciated.

  • #100
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,959

    More trial and tribulations.

    Now that we are here and living through the first rainy season at the new house we are seeing some things that need to be addressed. Originally we did not install any gutters on the house and for the most part that has been a good call with the exception of the front area by the entry stairs. We installed a cover in the front and the rain does not hit the stairs but it does jettison off out in front and I personally do not care for it. My wife does care but I do.

    We are having a gutter installer come up and offer some ideas for that one section. I saw a house not to far from ours that did a nice gutter set up. One thing one has to consider is as we all know when it rains here....it really rains. With that will be where to channel the water. I have a few ideas about how to direct the water back to the well in the front. Going to have to put on my thinking hat for that.

  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •